Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Storm likely this Saturday/Sunday

Options
  • 06-12-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Model Output today is particularly concerning with regard to a extremely severe storm which is set to
    develop off the west coast this Weekend and push across Ireland.

The Low is set to fall as low as 955mb with incredibly tight isobars.

Fortunately to some degree the Storm is expected to eas somewhat as it moves onshore, however
    this storm is changing dramatically between runs and has been continually upgraded.

If it hit shore at its peak it would be the worst storm to hit our shores since the Christmas storms
    of 2000 or even before then.

Rtavn541.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

That looks nasty.Depending on track the southern flank has its severist winds.If it moves over NI we are in for a blowy few hours across the majority of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

ohh interesting stuff. i love how tightly wraped it looks.i see that is middays run.How long does it take for 6pms run to be uploaded?

Roughly the 18z is 2100,give or take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Rtavn548.png

What can we expect in Limerick.

Should I stay home with the wife and kids or go to my Christmas Party :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Apparently we could see 130km/h gusts tonight. I have no idea where this weather came from though- the 9:30pm radar echo for NI showed widespread torrential rain.
    http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=42348&st=51&start=51
    http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=42377&st=17&start=17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Pretty windy out there now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Yup, winds definitely getting up now suddenly. currently 69mph winds off cork coast and 60mph in shannon being recorded, not bad;
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

ya it's pickin up here too.

From the Met via MeteoAlarm,
    For:
    Connacht
    Leinster
    Munster

Valid from 06.12.2007 20:18:11 CET Until 07.12.2007 23:59:59 CET
    Wind Awareness Level: Orange

maximum-wind-speed 110-133 kph
    "Westerly winds will gust 110 to 133 kph overnight."

and

"Westerly winds, veering west to northwest, will reach gale or strong gale force overnight and during the day on all coasts of Ireland and the Irish Sea."
    Issued at 22:30 on 06-Dec-2007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Not sure whether this should go in a different thread or not, estofex have updated their forecast, now including central and Eastern areas instead of Southern areas in the origianl forecast
    http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2007120706_200712062144_1_forecastupdate.xml

Might be a bit extreme but did you see the curvature of the radar echo from NI to Dublin,that has produced some tornadic or gustnado type effect before.
    Well i got hail here and when i shouldnt have,not in this setup atm which has led me to believe the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

extremely windy in galway atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Achill seriously windy too. But i think when it's such heavy rain it almost makes it feel worse.

jaysus..a bit of lightning here. scared the crap outta me when i was in the garden just there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Burp Bleugh

It's fierce windy on my couch right now too....:mad:

Damomanye wrote: »
    jaysus..a bit of lightning here. scared the crap outta me when i was in the garden just there.
    Yeah i picked up a bit of lightning down near your area on my detector.

ya i just saw that. it didnt fork or anything, just a flash (weak) to my south and no thunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Burp Bleugh

Snowbie wrote: »
    Yeah i picked up a bit of lightning down near your area on my detector.

My lightning rod detector went red robin there a few minutes ago too, I'm telling you it scared the b'jaysus outta me :eek::eek:

Do you have the version iyogh8o660 or the version oiyogh8o660.1 ??

I like to plug mine into my tinfoil hat sometimes :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Geting battered with wind here in Limerick City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

It has been really windy around the Wicklow area all day today. I think it has been under estimated. Looking forward to see how the predictions for the weekend turn out...

My lightning rod detector went red robin there a few minutes ago too, I'm telling you it scared the b'jaysus outta me :eek::eek:

Do you have the version iyogh8o660 or the version oiyogh8o660.1 ??

I like to plug mine into my tinfoil hat sometimes :rolleyes:
    I have the Boltek pci stormtracker using nexstorm software and the LD-250 when i get out(very rare) to chase storms via laptop and gps.
    Click the link in my signature to give you an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Geting battered with wind here in Limerick City

Chawk it down, the rain right now is something else here in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

One thing for sure with this weekend storm, it will be near hurricane strength out around 20 W to the southwest of the low centre on Saturday, and this alone should bring in some very large waves to the southwest coast of Ireland on Saturday night, as for wind speeds on land, it all depends on the exact track, the GFS seems to be sticking to its idea that most of the strong winds will skirt around Ireland except for the far southwest and reach Cornwall and Devon but other models have been showing a slightly more northward track and that could bring storm force winds (gusting to perhaps 70 or 80 mph) across large parts of Ireland on Saturday night. Something between the two perhaps? Let's say this, even though it is only now 36 hours away, there is no place guaranteed very strong winds and no place (in Ireland or NI) guaranteed to miss out. Met Eireann seem to be waiting for the 12z runs to say much, I noticed their 0500 forecast just talks about it being windy for a time. That may be the biggest understatement since the Fish hurricane write-off. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

UKM 6z shows this extremely dangerous storm at T+36 hours poised to crash into the west coast, fortunately as it does so it loses some of it's steam.

Still sustained winds in much of Connacht and Munster will be reaching 45/50mph on Saturday night with gusts to 80/85mph likely.

slp6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Interesting times ahead. This storm could be a really big one and we need to watch its track. Looks like its gonna head directly over N. Ireland now on GFS.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn481.html

The worst winds seem to be just south of this ie Dublin.

Then next week, GFS is showing a scandi high and the start of easterlies. Time to put a bet on a white XMas??!

A

Met.ie have issued a weather Warning on this system...

Issued at 07 December 2007 - 12:37
    Severe Weather late Saturday-Early Sunday

Very windy and at times very wet weather over the weekend with potentially stormy conditions for a time overnight Saturday and early Sunday, mainly in Connacht and Munster, with northwest winds of mean speeds 35 to 40 knots (65 to 75 km/h) with gusts of 70 to 80 knots (130 to 150 km/h) possible. Valid 00:00 to 15:00 9-Dec-2007

They're well into hurricane force gusts!

i better tie the shed onto the dog and the dog onto the cat.It's going to be messy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Met.ie have issued a weather Warning on this system...

Issued at 07 December 2007 - 12:37
    Severe Weather late Saturday-Early Sunday

Very windy and at times very wet weather over the weekend with potentially stormy conditions for a time overnight Saturday and early Sunday, mainly in Connacht and Munster, with northwest winds of mean speeds 35 to 40 knots (65 to 75 km/h) with gusts of 70 to 80 knots (130 to 150 km/h) possible. Valid 00:00 to 15:00 9-Dec-2007

They're well into hurricane force gusts!

i better tie the shed onto the dog and the dog onto the cat.It's going to be messy!
    Nasty - is this on the Met site?

yes it is, on the warnings page

Met Warnings

Breakingnews.ie
    High seas warning issued

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Forecast for eastern altlantic ocean areas already as follows:

Outlook until 0800 on Sat 08 Dec 2007
    Violent storm or hurricane winds in west northern and West Central Sections, transferring to east northern and East Central Sections.

:eek:

Any sign of the storm shifting a little north, i.e. getting the brunt of the storm across the midlands and east?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

yes it is, on the warnings page

Met Warnings

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Forecast for eastern altlantic ocean areas already as follows:

Outlook until 0800 on Sat 08 Dec 2007
    Violent storm or hurricane winds in west northern and West Central Sections, transferring to east northern and East Central Sections.

:eek:

Any sign of the storm shifting a little north, i.e. getting the brunt of the storm across the midlands and east?

GFS has been consistent in the last 2 runs in shifting the main core of winds south of here, so we will probably excape with just a breezy night.

The main core will hit Southwestern areas and along the south and southeast coast with gusts to 75knots possible.

Advertisement