Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Storm likely this Saturday/Sunday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

UK MET :

Shannon

Gale warning 1533 Sat 08 Dec

Westerly severe gale force 9 increasing storm force 10 imminent, increasing hurricane force 12 soon

Shipping forecast 1725 Sat 08 Dec

Wind - West veering northwest severe gale 9 increasing hurricane force 12 for a time.

Sea State - Very high occasionally phenomenal.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html?area=Shannon&type=All&x=9&y=12

oh for the love of mary...were goin to be blow out of it.One thing garunteed tonight is the emergency services will be very busy with downed poles/trees/ariels ect...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Six 1 news starts now - lets see what they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Mothman wrote: »
    It's not often one sees Hurricane force 12 in gale warnings, and I never even knew "phenomenal" existed!

Smooth Wave height less than 0.5 m
    Slight Wave height of 0.5 to 1.25 m
    Moderate Wave height of 1.25 to 2.5 m
    Rough Wave height of 2.5 to 4.0 m
    Very rough Wave height of 4.0 to 6.0 m
    High Wave height of 6.0 to 9.0 m
    Very high Wave height of 9.0 to 14.0 m
    Phenomenal Wave height more than 14.0 m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

That sounds like some scary waves. Glad I'm not at sea tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Mothman wrote: »
    It's not often one sees Hurricane force 12 in gale warnings, and I never even knew "phenomenal" existed!
    In fact i never heard of the two around our waters before.The fastnet rock storm was violent storm 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Further to the flooding here, NI got hit too;http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7134241.stm

Six 1 news starts now - lets see what they say...

Not even a mention on the headlines. interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Met Eireann of Radio 1 downgrading storm to an extent. Looks as if only coastal regions of the southwest will get anything like a force 11 tonight and tomorrow but 'damaging gusts' could occur anywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Damomanye wrote: »
    Not even a mention on the headlines. interesting.

Very interesting - its like they are playing it down. (Met)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Pretty damn windy out there at the moment, pressure is reading 987.4 currently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    In fact i never heard of the two around our waters before.The fastnet rock storm was violent storm 11

Yes any previous mention of force 12, that I've heard has probably been in areas NW of Scotland such as Bailey etc and no where near Ireland.

Sea Area map, if you want to see where Shannon is

Met Eireann on the forecast after the news did say to expect gusts of up to 120KM/h.

Met Eireann on the forecast after the news did say to expect gusts of up to 120KM/h.

That's a big downgrade on the earlier 150km/h warning. Is it not a bit foolish of them to be downgrading this when its exact track is still changing with every model output run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

The one i just watched said 130km/h to 140km/h

rc28 wrote: »
    That's a big downgrade on the earlier 150km/h warning. Is it not a bit foolish of them to be downgrading this when its exact track is still changing with every model output run?

I wouldnt know really - not sure how they work...but it looks like this storm has the potential to be quite a bit worse than what Met Eireann are saying.

Has there been any mention of the threat of storm surge to coastal areas in any of the forecasts?

The K3 bouy in the Atlantic is reporting 45ft waves at the moment, and increasing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

trogdor wrote: »
    The one i just watched said 130km/h to 140km/h

That's what I heard

just had two very scary gusts here. They sounded very strong, like nothing iv heard all day. someone hold me...

Has there been any mention of the threat of storm surge to coastal areas in any of the forecasts?

The K3 bouy in the Atlantic is reporting 45ft waves at the moment, and increasing...

62095 - M6 is reporting 35 ft. The big ones are getting in close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is bypassing me entirely.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

For the moment Mike, believe me, you will experience it in the early hours later.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah goodo, I do like a good storm when under the duvet.

Mike.

62108 - K3 Buoy reported 53.1 ft.(16.2 m). It's getting hairy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

East Clare
    Windy all day, with severe gusts. (30mph). Press @984mb. Temp @6.9 c and dropping.

Reg

Liam K

homah_7ft wrote: »
    62108 - K3 Buoy reported 53.1 ft.(16.2 m). It's getting hairy out there.

53.1ft waves? Holy....

*gulp*

To put this into some context, " a 52-foot wave produced by Hurricane Ivan in the Gulf of Mexico last month was the highest wave reported in a hurricane according to records from NOAA's National Data Buoy Center."

http://www.weather.gov/pa/fstories/2004/1004/fs13oct2004a.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Longfield wrote: »
    For the moment Mike, believe me, you will experience it in the early hours later.

Around what time will the winds pick up speed in Waterford City? There's a few gust here at the moment but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The M6 buoy at 15 W has had its wind readings disabled by the storm, probably the buoy is lying sideways in the big waves, but its gust reports recently stated 63 knots or a little over 70 mph.

The centre is currently near 55.5 N and 18.5 W and moving steadily towards a landfall tonight near Donegal.

Those of you in the southwest and south wondering about timing, I would say the winds will steadily pick up after 9 p.m. and reach their strongest about 2 or 3 in the morning, then howl all night at similar speeds. I would not be surprised if some places had gusts above 80 mph with this, certainly 70 mph will be quite widespread. And the odd exposed location could have gusts to 90 or 100, strong enough to rip roofs off houses or bring down trees, so if you live in a really windy spot, I would suggest moving the car to a safe spot where it won't get dinged by a tree, and put yourselves in a safe spot like your friend's house in a deep valley, especially if she's pretty. :)

K3 buoy now reporting wave heights of 55.8 ft

53.1ft waves? Holy....

*gulp*

To put this into some context, " a 52-foot wave produced by Hurricane Ivan in the Gulf of Mexico last month was the highest wave reported in a hurricane according to records from NOAA's National Data Buoy Center."

http://www.weather.gov/pa/fstories/2004/1004/fs13oct2004a.php

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. :o M6 is now reporting 14.6 m from 10.6 m in the last hour.
    2096309420_c552bee913_o_d.jpg

• Advertisement

From NetWeather;
    "Something sure has happened the past few hours.

The low moving eastwards over NI has merged with the biggie low (or vice-versa) and taken the steam out of it.

The SW quadrant still looks potent on the analysis chart.

The fact the low has moved more than 50-100 miles off track (and nobody saw that coming - esp so off track) puts a whole new meaning on the strongest winds.

Current buoy data would suggest this storm has fallen apart rapidly or recharging. I think the first.

Wind shear has taken grip..

Gonna be stormy still in certain areas, but not as bad as first progged. Indeed, until 4pm today, i thought this system was a dead cert for serious damage - alas, by luck, perhaps, shear and amalgamation of the low nearby Kintyre Penninsula have thwarted its ferocity."

Advertisement