Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Poweredge Server €149 exVAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

bardcom wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. I rang Dell Sales and she could only discount it to the level of the original link (€250?). The EPP link gets it down to €188.

The Sales Rep advised me to order online again if I could so I just went online straight away and ordered again (yesterday), and in less than an hour, I got a booking reference, followed by an order confirmation 25 mins later.

No idea why ordering again makes any difference. And it's strange that some people are getting their orders, and some aren't. Something to do with the EPP link???
    Hmm - curiousier and curiouser....

Just got an email to Dell to ask me if I would like them to process the 2nd order they got, or was it a mistake on my part. When I enquired as to what order she meant, it turns out that the original order hadn't been cancelled (even though I was told it had been...) and that she was enquiring about the 2nd order. So I've told her to go ahead.

Actually, I think I might have done this 3 times, so maybe in a couple of more days I'll get another order confirmation too :-)

Looks like Xmas came early

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

awhir wrote: »
    think he means the curry's near where he lives .

In my post I said I was in PC World in Navan first and then went next door to Currys ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

They do indeed all appear to be gone. Much thanks to kaizersoze & bazual.

I got mine through work. Ordered a second through EPP (no idea if we're eligible) last night, no idea if that will go through. *shrugs* Received my own one though, so can't complain entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Still waiting on mine, with the courier. Stupid question maybe, but is anyone considering putting windows home server on their new machines ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

but is anyone considering putting windows home server on their new machines ?

i intend to install WHS if mine ever materializes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Bought this graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128MB DDR3 PCIE , not to be confused with the DDR2 version which even if it has more on board RAM is a lesser card

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=43G4

reviewed here

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=10&artpage=2646&articID=579

and here

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2868&Itemid=40&limit=1&limitstart=0

and here http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=563

Hope it works in the x4 slot and shouldn't pull too much power .. I'm relatively confident (but DYOR)

I also bought this while I was buying from dabs .. a media card reader

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=4M5Y

which I hope fits where the floppy drive goes.

Hopefully Vista ultimate will fly with this graphics card and 3GB of RAM ( bought here for €55 delivered http://www.memoryc.com/memory/TS1GDL370.html )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Windows Home Server $192.41 vs. Ubuntu Server Edition $0
    I'd say the answer's probably ehh... NO! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Has anyone managed to fit a video card yet?

I tried with an old PCI-E card and while I did get video in the x4 slot, I think I cut a bit too much from it as it was discoloured.

Still have the main video card but has anyone any recommendations on best tools/practise etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Great thread....

Missed delivery of mine today,
    Just ordered 2gigs of Ram and have a 512meg GForge 7600gs to throw in (PCI-E x 16 i hope its doeable)

Is that cheap soundcard from overclockers going to be beaten relative to the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Got my 2 this morning. Ordered Friday afternoon and got the confirmation on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Speaking of bargains, where is the best place to get WHS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Got an order confirmation on the 11th, with order number.
    If i check online it still says it can't find it though. Also according to the confirmation, i DID get the Xeon upgrade :D

Although it is an Order Acknowledgement not a confirmation, the email says i will get a confirmation later with customer number/order number to track.... Still fingers crossed.. im not too bothered if i do not get it but it would be nice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Got acknowledgement and confirmation of my EPP order this morning. Delivery on or before the 20th - ordered Tuesday night. Thanks again to kaizersoze & bazual! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

When the order status says "Your order is out for delivery" would I be right in thinking its up in the Interlink depot? I live quite close so i could just pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Dell are acting the maggot with this for me - ordered last Thursday, received order confirmation, packing slip with system tag, out for delivery with Interlink since Monday and down as 'delivered' on their status link. However, I have not received it. Rang them earlier and there had been an issue with my credit card address, however that was resolved and my card has been debited.

Why don't they just provide an actual courier tracking number? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Amazing deal. Normal price according to Dell is €609 exVAT.

Offer ends 7/12/07

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&l=en&oc=SC44402&s=bsd

Prices are back to "normal" now...

ROS123 wrote: »
    Speaking of bargains, where is the best place to get WHS ?

There's a few ways to get this bloatware with convenient pre-installed security holes, hacker friendly exploits and API's, plus the added benefit of DRM built-in. :rolleyes:

* Get a 120 day free trial of Windows Home Server direct from Microsoft.
    * Join the Windows Home Server beta program and have fun crashing and patching. :D
    * Get it as part of an MSDN/TechNet subscription at work.

My advice is save yourself a lot of grief and just install Ubuntu Server Edition for free instead.

Oracle wrote: »
    There's a few ways to get this bloatware with convenient pre-installed security holes, hacker friendly exploits and API's, plus the added benefit of DRM built-in. :rolleyes:

* Join the Windows Home Server beta program and have fun crashing and patching. :D

My advice is save yourself a lot of grief and just install Ubuntu Server Edition for free instead.
    .. and spend weeks learning how to do the most basic operations instead.

I have about 18 2003 servers running with various applications and usage levels and its very rare I've any problems. Most issues are user/usage related - something I'm sure most IT people would tell you.

As for the patching thing. If Linux ever takes off beyond the niche market, I'm sure you'll see the same amount of fixes and expoits as you do for Windows. Probably more as the source code is open.

But I digress... anyone successfully modded a video card/slot yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

woo-hoo its arrived,

- ordered monday at 10am
    - received acknowledgement mail 11am
    - 12am replied to this mail tues asking for more info
    - 2m after talking to half of india on tuesday was told it was cancelled
    - 4pm tues reply to my mail saying order has gone in
    - arrives today at 12

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

syboit wrote: »
    woo-hoo its arrived,

- ordered monday at 10am
    - received acknowledgement mail 11am
    - 12am replied to this mail tues asking for more info
    - 2m after talking to half of india on tuesday was told it was cancelled
    - 4pm tues reply to my mail saying order has gone in
    - arrives today at 12

:D

Right now mod the x4PCiE slot, put in a graphics card and report back by 5! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Oracle wrote: »

Would it not make more sense to try Ubuntu Desktop edition (better GUI, etc.)? That's what I'll be trying anyhow (machine just delivered at home :)), I reckon I'll be able to get Tversity running using Wine to stream to my 360.

I presume all of the tinkering discussion for this box will continue in the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=85 tweaking/modding forum? Otherwise this thread is going to grow and grow.....

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    .. and spend weeks learning how to do the most basic operations instead.

I have about 18 2003 servers running with various applications and usage levels and its very rare I've any problems. Most issues are user/usage related - something I'm sure most IT people would tell you.

As for the patching thing. If Linux ever takes off beyond the niche market, I'm sure you'll see the same amount of fixes and expoits as you do for Windows. Probably more as the source code is open.

But I digress... anyone successfully modded a video card/slot yet?

Kaiser2000, would love to try Ubuntu, but I far more familair with Windows s/w. All I want this thing to do (it arrived this morning) is to back up a couple of laptops, store some, photos music maybe connect my Xbox, stream some tv etc. MAybe at a later stage add some ip cameras and some home automation. I know Linux can do all of that but how long would I spens on here asking you guys stupid questions. I kinda feel WHS will get me up and running quickly..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Ordered 8-12-07
    Confirmation email 9-12-07
    shipped 11-12-07
    Delivered 13-12-07

Very happy with it. :)

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ordered on the 10th arrived today and i can claim the vat back - sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Kaiser2000, would love to try Ubuntu, but I far more familair with Windows s/w. All I want this thing to do (it arrived this morning) is to back up a couple of laptops, store some, photos music maybe connect my Xbox, stream some tv etc. MAybe at a later stage add some ip cameras and some home automation. I know Linux can do all of that but how long would I spens on here asking you guys stupid questions. I kinda feel WHS will get me up and running quickly..

put in CD ... and its up and running in 20 minutes after clicking yes yes yes ...

BUT ... as you say ... once you start trying to do some backups and so on its going to eat into your time figuring things out

I should have bought two, like a lot of the guys on here, then I could have gone both ways....

I think ya misread me :) I was in fact pointing out that Windows is much easier for getting these things done. I'm not a linux fan at all myself. From a usability standpoint, it's about where Windows 3.1 was 15 years ago.

(I'm running Vista Ultimate on my SC440 :))

Yeah ROS123 you should have gone both ways, I've been going both ways for years.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I think ya misread me :) I was in fact pointing out that Windows is much easier for getting these things done. I'm not a linux fan at all myself. From a usability standpoint, it's about where Windows 3.1 was 15 years ago.

(I'm running Vista Ultimate on my SC440 :))

:eek: Huh? I'm running ubuntu on my laptop. I love it. I can readily accept that linux might not be everyones cup of tea but to say that its usuabilty is bad is definitely not true. I find it much easier!

Hell my mum and sister use it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got the order confirmation now after emailing the dell rep who sent the Order Acknowledgement.
    While i did get the zeon upgrade, i do not see the sas card... not that it matters as the processor is of more use to me :D

Advertisement