Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

however when yhou look at the UK specials we're in the dark ages,

http://www.kent.police.uk/join_us/specials/volunteer_officers.html

I must say that we are way behind the UK in our powers and in what we are able to do. In the UK after two years you are expected to be able to patrol on your own, and deal with incidents.
    I’m in five years, and get on brilliantly with my unit and they know I will back them up when needed, but I still can’t help them by looking after a minor incident for them, if they are tied up with something else.

It’s a bit of a shame, as I think the full time Gardai on the ground would love us to be able to do more to help them out, but it will never be said publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nathancool

Hello, I sent in the application for the GR about a month ago now and still haven't heard anything back :/ .. is this normal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

nathancool wrote: »
    Hello, I sent in the application for the GR about a month ago now and still haven't heard anything back :/ .. is this normal ?

yes,

sit tight

it can be a long wait

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

its like any job these days
    applying is one thing..
    getting a response back is another kettle of fish..

best of luck anyway..
    :eek:..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

nathancool wrote: »

Just sit tight, about another wait of 3-4 weeks left. I sent off in March got a reply back end of April instructing me of interviews in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 robmol

hey guys i sent my application off in january and still no word of an interview so i gave them a buzz and was told that interviews for my area should be in june.

robmol wrote: »
    hey guys i sent my application off in january and still no word of an interview so i gave them a buzz and was told that interviews for my area should be in june.

Not too far away then robmol. Best of luck when the time comes, read over the stuff they send you out. Dress formal to the interview and be smart.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

Be prepared to wait!!

I went for my interview February 2010. Handed BR in March 2010 - It got lost for 2 months :/ Then they started processing it in June...as of today...still waiting. My problem is most of my family are living in England. They said the checks are well underway and to just hold in there. (Very nice and reassuring staff).

However if you have no siblings/aunts/uncles and lived in Ireland in one address most of your life...your laughing!

My advice is...just don't keep thinking about it...they just have to be thorough! It's a head melter alright :)

msg11 wrote: »
    Not too far away then robmol. Best of luck when the time comes, read over the stuff they send you out. Dress formal to the interview and be smart.

Best of luck.

hey msg11,

cheers for that just cant wait to get the ball rolling hopefully all will go well for me...i'l keep you posted.. what stage are you at yourself?? :)

robmol wrote: »
    hey msg11,

cheers for that just cant wait to get the ball rolling hopefully all will go well for me...i'l keep you posted.. what stage are you at yourself?? :)

At stage one meself, just done the interview there last week. Didn't hear back yet. They just take there time with the forms and that as there is only a few doing them.

• Advertisement

msg11 wrote: »
    At stage one meself, just done the interview there last week. Didn't hear back yet. They just take there time with the forms and that as there is only a few doing them.

ah very good how do you think it went for you?? you should prob hear back in the next two weeks, i hope it will be good news, let me know how you get on..

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Hi I've a question I'm currently waiting for medical witch is taking awhile :) but my question is if I get into the reserve could I be based at Togher district HQ in cork city its not my local station buts its about 20 minutes from my house my local station would be barrack street station in the city.my main reason for wanting to be based their is because I do not have my own transport.could AGS make an exception in that case and base me closer to home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

A.G.S wrote: »
    Hi I've a question I'm currently waiting for medical witch is taking awhile :) but my question is if I get into the reserve could I be based at Togher district HQ in cork city its not my local station buts its about 20 minutes from my house my local station would be barrack street station in the city.my main reason for wanting to be based their is because I do not have my own transport.could AGS make an exception in that case and base me closer to home ?

say nothing until (if) you get in. at the end of phase 3 training then you will be all called into the main lecture hall down in the college and your stations called out. then you can raise the issue if needs be. i do know a few lads who got their stations changed but they were all dublin lads...e.g. living in the very south of the county and then getting stationed in the very north ...

say nothing until (if) you get in. at the end of phase 3 training then you will be all called into the main lecture hall down in the college and your stations called out. then you can raise the issue if needs be. i do know a few lads who got their stations changed but they were all dublin lads...e.g. living in the very south of the county and then getting stationed in the very north ...

thanks for the advice thats what i'll do so when (if) my chance comes :) the wait is a killer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Hey im in the same area as you and have been waiting for my medical for nearly 11 months now. How long have you been waiting? I also think Togher HQ could be were we are based or any of its sub-districts.

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Hey im in the same area as you and have been waiting for my medical for nearly 11 months now. How long have you been waiting? I also think Togher HQ could be were we are based or any of its sub-districts.

Hi yes I would love to be based in Togher HQ there would be plenty of things to do their :) my wait has been less then yours so far. Interviewed in January of this year and met with the Sargent on 1sth of march and submitted my b.r form never met the super tho but waiting on medical.I know my forms are being processed tho because my uncle is my Garda reference and he was contacted few weeks ago for my reference so its just a wait.Hang in their!

Hi yes I would love to be based in Togher HQ there would be plenty of things to do their :) my wait has been less then yours so far. Interviewed in January of this year and met with the Sargent on 1sth of march and submitted my b.r form never met the super tho but waiting on medical.I know my forms are being processed tho because my uncle is my Garda reference and he was contacted few weeks ago for my reference so its just a wait.Hang in their!
    Yas its a long wait lol. For me anyways. Ive called tham a few times and one part of my application is pending review for the past 11 months:S Anyways togher would be pretty awesome:P

Yas its a long wait lol. For me anyways. Ive called tham a few times and one part of my application is pending review for the past 11 months:S Anyways togher would be pretty awesome:P

must be frustrating alright I wonder why its under review tho ? are you living in cork city yourself ?

must be frustrating alright I wonder why its under review tho ? are you living in cork city yourself ?
    Yes I live down near carrigaline but togher is my district HQ. I would love to know myself and since ive never been in trouble with the guards in my life the only thing I can think of is family members.

Slow process though and really needs to be improved. If I am to be denied entry I would at least like them to tell me but all they say is its under review and the department its in is understaffed.

Yes I live down near carrigaline but togher is my district HQ. I would love to know myself and since ive never been in trouble with the guards in my life the only thing I can think of is family members.

Slow process though and really needs to be improved. If I am to be denied entry I would at least like them to tell me but all they say is its under review and the department its in is understaffed.

Yeah my district HQ is Anglesea Street.why are your relatives living abroad ? because that slows it up.Or are they misguided youths/gougers ? if I was you I would ring again just to check it would't hurt as your wait has been long enough.

• Advertisement

Yeah my district HQ is Anglesea Street.why are your relatives living abroad ? because that slows it up.Or are they misguided youths/gougers ? if I was you I would ring again just to check it would't hurt as your wait has been long enough.
    Ive called 4 times. lol. One of my uncles is a canadian citizen now. Honestly there is a few I dont know its a big family so it is possible one or two are trouble makers. (Just my luck). I want to ring again but feel if I do it too many times il just annoy them so I must keep waiting. On the bright side I havent been rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Altezza98

Ive called 4 times. lol. One of my uncles is a canadian citizen now. Honestly there is a few I dont know its a big family so it is possible one or two are trouble makers. (Just my luck). I want to ring again but feel if I do it too many times il just annoy them so I must keep waiting. On the bright side I havent been rejected.

Ring once a month it's enough. Thats what I did it took a few months to get called for the medical. I rang them about a month ago to see when I would be getting called I was told things slow down for the summer months and the next batch in is September. So you still have time ;) fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭fireflys

lads just wondering there im sending my interview application away monday. i never received an email from publicjobs so does this mean there not recrutin or doing interviews in my local area and im wasting my time? also must you send 4 copies of your interview form to them ?

fireflys wrote: »
    lads just wondering there im sending my interview application away monday. i never received an email from publicjobs so does this mean there not recrutin or doing interviews in my local area and im wasting my time? also must you send 4 copies of your interview form to them ?

No you can send your application form away alright just one copy tho! as soon as interviews come up in your local area you will be contacted by publicjobs be prepared for a long wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Hugo13

Just wondering if (a) anyone knew who to contact to ask how your application is progressing. Is it just HRM in Dublin? I met local Super about two and half months ago. and (b) is there any point, are they likely to give you any proper indication.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 derek bilko

Hugo13 wrote: »
    Just wondering if (a) anyone knew who to contact to ask how your application is progressing. Is it just HRM in Dublin? I met local Super about two and half months ago. and (b) is there any point, are they likely to give you any proper indication.

Thanks.

hey i have a number that i rang to ask about how the processing of my application going it is 016662568

to be honest not really they will just say that the background checks are still be processed and will let you know when their done

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

hi all i sent off my br form june 2010 i rang a few times to ask about it , i was told they were still been checked , guess what i got a call from my local seargent last week for interview. I went to meet him to be told my application got lost and it has not even been sent for checks so back to square one . My local super rang today to say i have to meet him tomorrow , so maby fingers crossed it might not take so long

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Quick question, I would like to apply for the GR, I have flat feet will that rule me out?

Also what exactly is needed to pass the medical?

Thanks

Quick question, I would like to apply for the GR, I have flat feet will that rule me out?

Also what exactly is needed to pass the medical?

Thanks

no you can apply with flat feet just wear arches I suppose :)

Any of the following examples of medical conditions may be a bar to passing the medical examination:

Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda Reserve trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 correctable to 6/9,6/12, with normal colour vision).
    Varicose veins
    Being overweight
    Albumenuria
    Dental Caries
    Defective Hearing
    Hypertension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

moremiles wrote: »
    Very well said ..................:D

Mod Note: I am only going to say this to you 'moremiles' ONCE: Please read our Forum Charter before posting again. It can be found HERE

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement