Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi, anyone done the ASP course yet, how was it especially for the people who are not very fit ???
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

Hi, anyone done the ASP course yet, how was it especially for the people who are not very fit ???
    Cheers.
    Worst case scenario..... You'll have a sore arm from swinging the training baton at your fellow trainees!! It's demanding as in it's a full day (8hrs) but it's very enjoyable. Listen to the instructors as there's an exam before you leave and don't be afraid to use your voice. Oh and enjoy your time with the "red man"

Best of luck and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

kensey wrote: »
    Worst case scenario..... You'll have a sore arm from swinging the training baton at your fellow trainees!! It's demanding as in it's a full day (8hrs) but it's very enjoyable. Listen to the instructors as there's an exam before you leave and don't be afraid to use your voice. Oh and enjoy your time with the "red man"

Best of luck and enjoy!

kensey is right...tough 8 hours and not everyone will pass...they will even tell you that. the redman....thats the best part when hes telling you to f**k off and calling you all sorts :),haha. your back leg will be sore also from generating the power when striking

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Hi lads I have a question,can you join the GR if you wear contacts ? I no that the answer will probably be no, but I went for a consultation today for laser and I'm not suitable.I've seen full-time members with glasses before,so can an exemption be made ?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

A.G.S wrote: »
    Hi lads I have a question,can you join the GR if you wear contacts ? I no that the answer will probably be no, but I went for a consultation today for laser and I'm not suitable.I've seen full-time members with glasses before,so can an exemption be made ?

Any of the following examples of medical conditions may be a bar to passing the medical examination:
    • Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda Reserve trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 correctable to 6/9,6/12, with normal colour vision).
    • Varicose veins
    • Being overweight
    • Albumenuria
    • Dental Caries
    • Defective Hearing
    • Hypertension

not been smart depending on how bad your sight is

• Advertisement

halfback5 wrote: »
    Any of the following examples of medical conditions may be a bar to passing the medical examination:

Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda Reserve trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 correctable to 6/9,6/12, with normal colour vision).
    when they say correctable does this mean you can wear contacts ? or glasses ? because I have always seen members of ags with glasses lots of the community Gardai wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

A.G.S wrote: »
    when they say correctable does this mean you can wear contacts ? or glasses ? because I have always seen members of ags with glasses lots of the community Gardai wear them.
    either or along as long as you're within the limits given, thankfully I got laser done a few months back!

How many times do you have to challenge the red man in the day, has to be tiring for a Reserve ? Im not very fit just OK, is it worth the bother ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

well Lads
    passed the medical today, Delighted!
    But when is the next training session starting? and whats the 1st phase of training involve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 the_view

Well done brotherabbit.

Next intake is around end of sept / oct. There's another 2 at least this year.

• Advertisement

anyone know the email address for the garda reserve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

if you send me a personal message I will give you the email address

Hi Freddiew, hows whiskey xray ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

How's it going leinsterdude... you still doing the reserve! Munster;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

kensey is right...tough 8 hours and not everyone will pass...they will even tell you that. the redman....thats the best part when hes telling you to f**k off and calling you all sorts :),haha. your back leg will be sore also from generating the power when striking

For me the thing that hurt the most for a few days afterwards was my throat from shouting 1,000 time "get back", you'll be hearing it in your dreams for weeks afterwards.....!!

Yep you need a minimum level of fitness but the main thing on the day is to put in 110% effort. Anyone who doesnt or who is seen to put in half an effort will struggle to pass the course.

How's it going leinsterdude... you still doing the reserve! Munster;)

Not Munster !!! guess again :-) going well though, loving the reserve more now than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

'm good thanks but haven't a clue who you are sorry, PM me if you want me to know :)

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Spartan09 wrote: »
    For me the thing that hurt the most for a few days afterwards was my throat from shouting 1,000 time "get back", you'll be hearing it in your dreams for weeks afterwards.....!!

Yep you need a minimum level of fitness but the main thing on the day is to put in 110% effort. Anyone who doesnt or who is seen to put in half an effort will struggle to pass the course.

It was tough going alright .Was happy to pass the course even when i got home and found out I had dislocated my shoulder during the test but all worth the pain to have passed the Phase successfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

How many times do you have to challenge the red man in the day, has to be tiring for a Reserve ? Im not very fit just OK, is it worth the bother ??
    Always worth a try. My medical is in 2 days. Im not overweight or underweight but I aint the fitest guy on the block. However im sure il be much fitter after training if I get there

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Always worth a try. My medical is in 2 days. Im not overweight or underweight but I aint the fitest guy on the block. However im sure il be much fitter after training if I get there

Dont give it too much thought. I was in the same boat but I bought a bike and spend a couple of evenings a week doing a few miles and pushing up the fitness level . You will be surprised at how faxt you can get fit . All the best with the medical

• Advertisement

Raider190 wrote: »
    Dont give it too much thought. I was in the same boat but I bought a bike and spend a couple of evenings a week doing a few miles and pushing up the fitness level . You will be surprised at how faxt you can get fit . All the best with the medical
    Thanks:) Yes I love to cycle I used do it alot but my bike (An good one too) was in a fire and sadly lost:(. But if I pass my medical I will get motivated and get out there again:) Anywho any1 who wants the reserves and guards I say go for it, you wont lose anything by trying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 carlbre

Hi Tyron Jara,

when did you hand in your background check? i'm still waiting on mine to go through the system. I need the time to up my fitness at the moment though. I'd like to be part of an intake this year if i can!!

Hi, fitness levels are not a huge issue, if you can jog a little, and do some self defence moves for a few hours you will be fine.....but.....for your own good, get fit if you do join....very embarressed if you cant catch someone, if you do end up in a foot chase some night....believe me that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnpaul6

hi lads , is there an intake this year ? is it still templemore, as someone told me templemore was closing down and were not taking any more reserves, I handed In my BR last oct and heard nothing since, so when heard this I havent followed up. so is there still a chance ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jonnie5

Hi, fitness levels are not a huge issue, if you can jog a little, and do some self defence moves for a few hours you will be fine.....but.....for your own good, get fit if you do join....very embarressed if you cant catch someone, if you do end up in a foot chase some night....believe me that will happen.
    like leinsterdude said this will happen.i no also

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

johnpaul6 wrote: »
    hi lads , is there an intake this year ? is it still templemore, as someone told me templemore was closing down and were not taking any more reserves, I handed In my BR last oct and heard nothing since, so when heard this I havent followed up. so is there still a chance ???

Don't be worrying yourself about the Garda College. It wont be closing down from what I am hearing.

They are still taking in reseves. In fact if you were to read through some of the threads here, you will see posters have said that their are a few more already planned for later this year!

Their is of course still a chance. You will just have to be patient in waiting on your background checks to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Oh jeez I can re-iterate this. You will always remember the first-time you have to give chase in those boots too by the way!

carlbre wrote: »
    Hi Tyron Jara,

when did you hand in your background check? i'm still waiting on mine to go through the system. I need the time to up my fitness at the moment though. I'd like to be part of an intake this year if i can!!
    1 year ago. It took a long time. Only did my medical 2 days ago. So waiting now again for the next stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 karen2224

is there any reserves out there members of civil defence?. I don't want to leave the C.D as i have been a member for nearly 8 yrs now.

• Advertisement

karen2224 wrote: »
    is there any reserves out there members of civil defence?. I don't want to leave the C.D as i have been a member for nearly 8 yrs now.
    I think its one or the other. My friend is in the civil defence and is going for the reserves.

Advertisement