Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

4 year wait not worth this cancelled application hope you folks enjoy it.
    Been told that i'd be quicker getting in if i cancelled and re applied

Bilko no!!!! Hang in there :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Bilko no!!!! Hang in there :-(
    ah ais.... I was told today i can get it reinstated but there not getting away from the fact that I am actually the longest person known to HRM to wait a medical 4 years and still no word my fam aint that bit no charges no nothing just stupid medical thats causing a hold up i acually forgot to tell you i moved out of this country soon after i applied to go to college in UK and i came back and still no word thats how stupid it is

ah ais.... I was told today i can get it reinstated but there not getting away from the fact that I am actually the longest person known to HRM to wait a medical 4 years and still no word my fam aint that bit no charges no nothing just stupid medical thats causing a hold up i acually forgot to tell you i moved out of this country soon after i applied to go to college in UK and i came back and still no word thats how stupid it is

Thats awful :-( and there's nothing they can do only re-submit the form??
    I know a guy who's waiting 3years for br checks but he has family all over the place :-(

Thats awful :-( and there's nothing they can do only re-submit the form??
    I know a guy who's waiting 3years for br checks but he has family all over the place :-(
    i've fam here i've been told i can re-submit it that there gonna leave it as it is because no point in taking it out now.
    Its just pi***s me of waiting 4 years for someone to say yes your ok heres a date and time ha

i've fam here i've been told i can re-submit it that there gonna leave it as it is because no point in taking it out now.
    Its just pi***s me of waiting 4 years for someone to say yes your ok heres a date and time ha

Yeah I thought waiting two years for br checks was bad!!
    Better off leaving it where it is anyway, if you resubmit it you could be waiting another four years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ghost86 wrote: »
    Hi im new to boards. I was just wondering, how many garda reserves are taken down to templemore in one batch for training?

Hi, welcome to both Boards and to our Garda Reserve forum. Their seems to be an average of 40 people in each batch that goes to Templemore for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

Thanks for the reply kerry4sam. I recently applied for the g.r. I heard that the gaurds are aiming for the force to be made to be made up of 10% reserves by 2012. If around 900 reserves are currently either recruited or going through training, then that leaves 400 places left to be filled (10% of 13,000 = 1,300). I know it usually takes a year or more from applying to training.
    I was wondering, by the time I get everything done i.e. interview, medical, b.r. checks etc. would all the g.r. positions be filled?? because it would be 2012 at the earliest before I get everything done.

hi all some great stories.....
    im contemplating on wheather to send the forms away im really interested in the guards but i dont fancy waiting this long time........i have my forms filled in where do i send them....

thanks

If I am reading this right, then you have your interview form completed and ready to submit?

If so, according to www.publicjobs.ie "GARDA RESERVE (Voluntary)
    On receipt of the completed application form candidates will be allocated a date and time for interview at the earliest opportunity.

You may email your application form directly to a dedicated mailbox gardareserve@publicjobs.ie or post the form to:- Garda Reserve Unit, Public Appointments Service, Chapter House, 26/30 Abbey Street Upper, Dublin 1."

Thanks for the reply kerry4sam. I recently applied for the g.r. I heard that the gaurds are aiming for the force to be made to be made up of 10% reserves by 2012. If around 900 reserves are currently either recruited or going through training, then that leaves 400 places left to be filled (10% of 13,000 = 1,300). I know it usually takes a year or more from applying to training.
    I was wondering, by the time I get everything done i.e. interview, medical, b.r. checks etc. would all the g.r. positions be filled?? because it would be 2012 at the earliest before I get everything done.

As with anything in life, what is aimed for and what is achieved don't always go hand in hand.
    We don't know what numbers will be in the full-time force by February 2011, never mind trying to plan as far away as 2014. Nothing can be taken for granted in this climate Ireland is in right now.

All I will say is, take a look at the Garda Recruitment forum and you will note their are people in there with everything done, sitting on a waiting-list, and are just waiting on a call. The powers that be may end up doing the same with the Reserves, ie. keep those with everything done on a waiting-list, if they feel that they have reached a sufficient number attested. Only time will tell on that. Stay with the process if you feel strong enough about joining, it will all happen in good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

Hi Bilko,

Hope you change your mind and don't give up, 4yrs is a long time but you could get the call at any time to attend a medical.

I've an uncule who lives abroad, I'm not sure he is still alive as he hasn't been seen for years, had to put him on BR checks and I too feel, I'll be waiting a LONG TIME to hear back about medical.

Anyway, my point is, stick with it, as mentioned, you don't want to wait possible another 4yrs !!!

Best of luck......

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

GRHopefull wrote: »
    Hi Bilko,

Hope you change your mind and don't give up, 4yrs is a long time but you could get the call at any time to attend a medical.

I've an uncule who lives abroad, I'm not sure he is still alive as he hasn't been seen for years, had to put him on BR checks and I too feel, I'll be waiting a LONG TIME to hear back about medical.

Anyway, my point is, stick with it, as mentioned, you don't want to wait possible another 4yrs !!!

Best of luck......

Just a word to all of those who are in the process of waiting..........

Keep the faith when you finally do make it you will feel it was all worth the wait.

Was waiting 18 months from date of application to acceptance and often thought it was hopeless but it did happen and was attested in Nov . Am now working in one of the busiest stations in Dublin and love every minute of it. Manage to do do 2-3 days per week and the personal reward is amazing. The opportunity to help and to make a difference will make the wait seem insignificant and remember that you may be working in the reserve for years so the wait will seem like a drop in the ocean time wise

Your patience will be rewarded in the long run

Hi im new to boards. I was just wondering, how many garda reserves are taken down to templemore in one batch for training?

Normally an intake is 42 trainees and a attestation class will be 84. In my case, two intakes graduated at the same time. So the time between Phase 4 and 5 can differ from intake to intake.

Just like the full timers there will be a certain attrition rate in the GR's , people leaving because they dont like it , moving abroad , change in family circumstances etc so that will be taken into consideration and of course if recruitment for the full time begins again then you will see a high number move from the reserves to the full time positions. If this happens then recruitment to the reserve will be on going and the same as full time panels will no doubt be set up from which to draw qualifed candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

What is the difference between an intake class and an attestation class?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

kerry 4 sam ta for the reply....but im more thinking of about will i be waiting long for the interview and then if successful could i be waiting for another two years there after is it worth the hassle i really want it but emigration is sneaking into my mind more !!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

kerry 4 sam ta for the reply....but im more thinking of about will i be waiting long for the interview and then if successful could i be waiting for another two years there after is it worth the hassle i really want it but emigration is sneaking into my mind more !!

The best advice is to go for it. If emigration does happen, or you change your mind, you can always withdraw your application.

However, if you are still around, or if the process happends quickly for you, and you still want it, then you will have it.

What is the difference between an intake class and an attestation class?

Intake class who are invited to commence training , the start of phase 1

Attestation class are those who make it successfully through Phase 1,2,3,4 and get to be attested (swear the oath on either the bible or constitution)

Raider190 wrote: »
    Intake class who are invited to commence training , the start of phase 1

Attestation class are those who make it successfully through Phase 1,2,3,4 and get to be attested (swear the oath on either the bible or constitution)

Hi Raider,

Its good to hear your enjoying your time in the GR i got my cancellation re-submitted as it was a decission out of anger not thought.
    I understand your wait was 18 months from start to finish but there's no explanation as to why there taking 4 YEARS THIS MAY to accept my application there only making a fool outta me the superintendent and themselves theres literally nothing i can do been down every road and been told the same thing (my personal favourite is) nothing we can do yet its in process ha fun times i must know the hole reserve department by now but im keeping my mind of it.
    Cheers for the advice by the way mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Altezza98

Hi everyone :D
    I myself am in the application process, been waiting awhile but no were near as long as some have. Its been 12months since I first applied. :rolleyes: so not to bad, last time i spoke to HQ they said all my backgroud checks were back and i'd know very soon that was 2weeks ago. .

For those who are waiting dont give up. If you really want to get in to the GR's you wont give up. I went for the full Garda interviews twice and was very unlucky both times, through my own fault :o:o

Best of luck to all who are waiting or are interested in getting into the GR's . .

Hey guys passed my medical yesterday!!! Just waiting on a call now to see when i'm starting :)

• Advertisement

Hey guys passed my medical yesterday!!! Just waiting on a call now to see when i'm starting :)

Ah well done dentalnurse, I'd say that their would be a few intakes between now and December so maybe you might see Templemore before too long :)

well done what did you think of the pink house coat lol

Next will be the email with your letter of invite and your training start date. You may get a phone call

Normally its about a two week wait and then you are good to go

Welcome to the gang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joey198

[QUOTE=joey198
    I just done my interview and exam and I am wondering how many applicant of reserves are over 45yrs old.I have read a lot of comments and they seem to be from school leavers and young people wanting to join regulars.I want to work to better my community and am involved in the youth sector in my community.I have a lot of free time and I respect all the hard work of the Gardai .I am very concerned of the amounts of negative comments I found but I feel that in time the reserves will be accepted by the gra.I am sorry if I offend anyone it was not my intention

joey198 wrote: »
    [QUOTE=joey198

I just done my interview and exam and I am wondering how many applicant of reserves are over 45yrs old.I have read a lot of comments and they seem to be from school leavers and young people wanting to join regulars.I want to work to better my community and am involved in the youth sector in my community.I have a lot of free time and I respect all the hard work of the Gardai .I am very concerned of the amounts of negative comments I found but I feel that in time the reserves will be accepted by the gra.I am sorry if I offend anyone it was not my intention

A number of GR members are over 45 years I even know one who is in his 60's. No matter what the age everyone can make a contribution.

Its true there are a lot of younger members who are utilising the GR while they are waiting to get into the full timers.

As for the GRA they have their own motives for their comments about the GR but in my experience that negativity is not held by the rank and file members.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Hi,
    I would like to extend my congratulations to all members of the September 2010 class that graduated Phase 5 yesterday in Templemore Garda college. It was a very proud moment for all who took part and was a great day overall. I was a day i thought would never come around when i started the process.

I wish all new members the best of luck in the careers as members of An Garda Síochana in all there relevant stations across the country.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

i'm looking at some posts here and i have to say i feel so sorry for those who have mad waiting times....i can not explain it. i applied january 2010, did my interview end of that month, medical late march and started training beginning of may 2010. very fast. i remember sitting up in the medical and the other 9 or 10 almost hating me when we tld eachother about our application. they had all waited nearly two years. that been said...any wait is worht it. my father is fulltime member 37 years now and i thought i knew about all they have to put up with...well i didnt. im in a great station that even fulltime probationers love to get coz it is one of the best places to learn. the things iv seen have opened my eyes bigtime...the reserve is a great thing to do and id hope you all hold on long enough for the call

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

my father is fulltime member 37 yearsl

that might explain the quick BR check

a

Hi ll just letting you know what the situation is as i have seen a posts saying you have passed medicals. i was at inservice the other day and this is what we were told. there are currentlly 900 reserves at the moment. that leaves roughly 500 places left to fill then they will be ath their 10% target. But theere has been 6000 applications to the reserve, maybe more so competition is tough. i can also say for definite that there will be 9 or 10 intakes for reserves into the college this year of around 45 to 50 people eachtime. so if you have passed you medical at this stage...things should work out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Antheia

Hey guys, I registered on public jobs two months ago, Did it take this long for you? Thanks.

Advertisement