Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been in a fight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think Youghal v Cobh has to be the winner in the scummy stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I got the bangers beaten out of me by a pikey when I was like 6/7 :o

It was a lesson learned tbh........never ever throw stuff at pikeys.......unless you're in a car :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Dudess wrote: »
    Hmmm... in the movies, the bad guys do tend to line up and take swipes one at a time. Especially Asian bad guys using kung fu moves.

Yea but movies are fictional. What happened to me is fact! It was in the paper for christ sake...

PS: They were jamaican not asian.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,321 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I raised my leg until it was perpendicular to my body and started spinning like a top. As I said, they passed away but I have little (if any) remorse.

Wow, death by farts!
    Always thought the 'phrase silent but deadly' was just a figure of speech..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

connundrum wrote: »
    You are completely right, if you really don't want to get in a fight then you really don't have to. 100% agreed.
    I disagree.
    When you are sitting on a ledge in a chipper and some guy walks in and headbutts you and then proceeds to do a jig on your head, while his friend kicks you in the stomach, there's not really much you can do to not be in a fight.

Mairt wrote: »
    Worse place (for trouble/fighting) I've ever worked was Leixlip (Co.Kildare), the amount of fighting I done in that place is unreal, and I hear it hasn't changed awhole lot.
    Lies.
    Leixlip is a lovely place. There is never any trouble.
    The main street is completely safe to walk through between 8pm and 4am on weekends.*
    mc nuggets wrote: »
    I agree with you completely, was driving home from Lanzerote on Monday morning around three in the morning (I live in Leixlip) and the high street was like a war zone with scum coming out of the nightclubs, people throwing stones at the car and trying to jump on top of it, with people fighting and vomiting all over the place :(. Not nice
    High street?
    Due to the topography of the town, there is only one street and a few lanes.
    The one street is called the main street.
    High street. LMAO.

As for the rest of the story, that is indeed typical behaviour in Leixlip.
    Heh, Terry will like that!
    Yeah, seems to be true all right about country towns. My mate's from Listowel - sounds frightening.
    There's also the phenomenon of towns fighting each other, which I think is just hilarious. Talk about primal tribalism! These "place versus place" fights are actually planned for e.g. Friday nights. Cork's unreal for it. Not just country towns either - suburbs too.
    I spent a few days working in Listowel.
    I thought it was a really nice place.
    I didn't see any major trouble.
    Then again, I'm from Leixlip.

Mairt wrote: »
    Well there was that time when I had to drag Terry out of the female toilets, SNIFFING them so he was.

But its our little secret and I'm not telling.
    Shhh!
    So I have a fetish. It's not that uncommon.

*complete lie.
    Anyone walking through Leixlip between the hours of 8pm and 4am on weekends is taking their lives into their own hands.
    It's a nice enough place the rest of the time though and the rest of the town is fairly safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

TheThing! wrote: »
    I was actually in a fight once and I smashed the guys head in.

I sincerely doubt any case of handbags you could have been involved in would have even seen the sight of sweat, let alone blood. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

My ex used to live in Longford,there were bloodbaths there very night,you used to see people with thier noses hanging off,people who'd been stabbed in the neck and people getting thrown in front of cars.Granard,a tiny village in co longford was even worse,there'd be raiding parties of pikeys and scumbags battling it out in the main street usng whatever weapons came to hand.Nashty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Terry wrote: »
    I disagree.
    When you are sitting on a ledge in a chipper and some guy walks in and headbutts you and then proceeds to do a jig on your head, while his friend kicks you in the stomach, there's not really much you can do to not be in a fight.

But you see I'd consider that a beating up, an assault if you will.
    A fight is a different story.

A fight is a different story.
    Meh.
    Fair point.

All fights start with an assault. It's really about as simple as the person who throws the first blow is the assailant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Dragan wrote: »
    All fights start with an assault. It's really about as simple as the person who throws the first blow is the assailant.
    Agreed. I always worked on the premise that if somebody punched me then they would get punched back and we'd take it from there.

In Irish law(offences against the person),there is no onus on somebody to await the first blow.You MAY strike first if you feel that by doing so you will avoid great harm or injury.You heard it first folks..get your retaliation in first!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I lived down in Kerry. As long as your not involved watching the natives hop lumps out of each other is great craic. But as someone above who said you don't have to fight if you don't want to that's a complete joke. I've seen plenty of fights kick off for no reason.

I figure at the end of the day the sticks are worse because week in week out the same yokels are drinking in the same pubs and sitting/standing in the same places.

Grudges carry on week after week whereas in Dublin if you're unlucky enough to get in a fight you may never see the guy/girl again. That and the fact that in general, doorstaff in Dublin are much more efficient at stopping the fight whereas in Kerry for example the door staff are farmers who are more likely to jump in themselves for the fight or just just stand back saying things like "ah stop dat there now lads".

Degsy wrote: »
    In Irish law(offences against the person),there is no onus on somebody to await the first blow.You MAY strike first if you feel that by doing so you will avoid great harm or injury.You heard it first folks..get your retaliation in first!

Hmmmmm, Degsy i would do some reading up on the new classifications of assault if i were you?

I once used my face to break some guy's fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hmmmmm, Degsy i would do some reading up on the new classifications of assault if i were you?

What are the new classifications of assault??

From my reading, a person is not required to wait until they've been hit before they could respond. If a person was required to allow the other person to land the first blow, the victim could well be incapacitated by the first blow and therefore unable to protect himself.

So like Degsy said, It basically depends on the situation, if you fear that you're going to get hit first and that it is going to be a severe blow then why wait to be hit? Isn't this the point of the legal system, to protect victims??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

No, all fights start with...public school scum

Malteaser! wrote: »

From my reading, a person is not required to wait until they've been hit before they could respond. If a person was required to allow the other person to land the first blow, the victim could well be incapacitated by the first blow and therefore unable to protect himself.

So like Degsy said, It basically depends on the situation, if you fear that you're going to get hit first and that it is going to be a severe blow then why wait to be hit? Isn't this the point of the legal system, to protect victims??

Its a defence of "self defence".How far you take it is where the distinction blurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm from sligo, fights are unavoidable. :P

i know
    as the other fella said country towns are far more fighty
    sligo longford charliville athlone sligo and all of letrim are crazy

i grew up in dublin and never saw / got in so many fights as when i moved to sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭cson

You better hope the troll police don't get a hold of you. If they do your bum will be very very sore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

cson wrote: »
    You better hope the troll police don't get a hold of you. If they do your bum will be very very sore.

I assume thats just a general warning based on personal experiences and the thought police's strange fetishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I once used my face to break some guy's fist.
    Tee hee!

Infraction for trolling given.

Please do not feed this.

Malteaser! wrote: »

Basically from a legal standpoint, the problem is how do YOU interpret that you were going to be hit. In jobs i have done, and even on nights out, i have had countless people squaring up to me.

Should i assume they are going to hit me and just plant them?

The new issues lie around the fact that degress of assualt have been broken into Section, from 1 through to 6

1 is the simple "verbal assault" and it works up to the 6 which is the equivalent of the old GBH charge.

The law only covers your return strike under self defence, as far as i am aware there is no legal cover for a "pre-emptive" strike. Even the way the new sections are laid out, if i am struck in a club with an open hand strike or slap, and this leaves a bruise on my face and i return fire with a shot that breaks the person nose or jaw then i have retailiated at the different level that i was assualted with and could be in trouble.

It's a right pain in the ass, but thats the way it's all laid out at the moment.

As per every other case stuff is obviously looked at on a case by case basis, but from a legal standpoint you will be hard pressed to find anyone who would condone a pre-emptive strike under the assumption that you were about to be physically assaulted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Basically from a legal standpoint, the problem is how do YOU interpret that you were going to be hit. In jobs i have done, and even on nights out, i have had countless people squaring up to me.

Should i assume they are going to hit me and just plant them?

The new issues lie around the fact that degress of assualt have been broken into Section, from 1 through to 6

1 is the simple "verbal assault" and it works up to the 6 which is the equivalent of the old GBH charge.

The law only covers your return strike under self defence, as far as i am aware there is no legal cover for a "pre-emptive" strike. Even the way the new sections are laid out, if i am struck in a club with an open hand strike or slap, and this leaves a bruise on my face and i return fire with a shot that breaks the person nose or jaw then i have retailiated at the different level that i was assualted with and could be in trouble.

It's a right pain in the ass, but thats the way it's all laid out at the moment.

As per every other case stuff is obviously looked at on a case by case basis, but from a legal standpoint you will be hard pressed to find anyone who would condone a pre-emptive strike under the assumption that you were about to be physically assaulted.

I'm prob not as up on the law as you Dragan, but I work in a job where we occasionally may have to deal with physical threat (not a doorman, thank God!). We get annual training on self-defence and dealing with the threat or actual assault, this year it was Krav Maga techniques. We have been told that a response must be reasonable and proportionate to the level of threat faced, not to the level of violence already offered, i.e. yes if you get a slap you can't go breaking their nose, but if you have cause to believe that you are about to be seriously assaulted e.g. if the person produces a knife, or says he's going to put you in hospital, you have the right to use sufficient force to disable him/her long enough for you to withdraw from the situation. That could be quite a hard blow in a pre-emptive strike. I don't think the courts would interpret that as assault, as long as you were able to show that you were in fear for your safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I'm prob not as up on the law as you Dragan, but I work in a job where we occasionally may have to deal with physical threat (not a doorman, thank God!). We get annual training on self-defence and dealing with the threat or actual assault, this year it was Krav Maga techniques. We have been told that a response must be reasonable and proportionate to the level of threat faced, not to the level of violence already offered, i.e. yes if you get a slap you can't go breaking their nose, but if you have cause to believe that you are about to be seriously assaulted e.g. if the person produces a knife, or says he's going to put you in hospital, you have the right to use sufficient force to disable him/her long enough for you to withdraw from the situation. That could be quite a hard blow in a pre-emptive strike. I don't think the courts would interpret that as assault, as long as you were able to show that you were in fear for your safety.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. I forgot to say that it should be proportionate to the level of the threat faced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Having lived in both places, I'd agree that country towns on Sat night are much rougher than Dublin. Also many of these towns don't even have a 24 hour Garda station so if something happens the cops may have to come some distance from the nearest large town where they're already busy sorting out trouble.

As for being in fights - I have never been in what I'd consider a fight either as a kid or an adult. I have gotten into a few angry verbal exchanges (mainly road rage incidents) as an adult.

And when I was a kid/teenager there were a couple of "incidents". One was where I tried to take a fellas head off with...don't laugh... a TENNIS RACKET. I smacked him in the side of the head as hard as I could but it only wobbled him and he then proceeded to kick the sh1t out of me only stopping because others dragged him off me. The other incident was where I creased a fella in the stomach with a 3 iron (golf club) in hindsight I was lucky not to seriously hurt him or get into serious trouble for that one. BTW both of these incidents were provoked by bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

twice.

I would class both as self defence though as I was "jumped" in both cases.

First time was by one scumbag while walking home with a girlfriend.
    Second time I was steamed and two bucks jumped me outside a club.

I focused on one of them (could barely see FFS!) and the other "Gentleman" decided to kick me in the face while I was doing so!

At that stage it was all over but I still think I put up a good fight!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I think Youghal v Cobh has to be the winner in the scummy stakes.
    Eh? Cobh can be very dodgy all right but Youghal is nowhere as bad and the two towns certainly don't get together for punch-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

No offence PeakOutput, but I've done some seriously ridiculous things when drunk, but nothing.......absolutely NOTHING!! as dumb as that.

WTF were you thinking?

id probably do the same thing again to be honest and most of my mates would aswell i just happened to be on my own at the time so it was a bad idea

the only thing i wouldnt do again is throw the first punch but id be ****ed if im gonna let some racist scumbag assault a guy right in front of me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement