Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been in a fight

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Degsy wrote: »
    We had Loughman for chemistry..Baldy Conscience as he liked to be known.

LOL, had him for Inter Cert Science. First day he spent half the class covering the blackboard in chalk before methodically wiping it clean with the duster. From that day on we all thought he was 100% nuts.

OT, I remember in 6th year being caught by the principal red-handed punching another guy in my class - well he started it, and to be fair, we were both swinging away. Made us stand outside his office for 3 hours before he suspended us, by which time we were best mates. Oh, and it snowed that night, school was closed for 2 days, so never served the suspension :D

connundrum wrote: »
    I have been in a similar situation where drink was intentionally spilled on me, I turned round and said WTF, then the guy stood up and asked me to a round of fisty cuffs to 'sort the matter out'.

The above situation has happened, as rediculous as it sounds. The guy was obviously looking for a fight from the get go.

The exact same thing happened to me in a pub in Galway about a month ago, guy spilled drink on my back, first time he did it I turned and he just stared me out of it, 2 seconds later he does it again, this time he's looking for a fight. Big guy picking on a smaller guy, what a hero. Didn't give him the satisfaction, just asked him why he didn't try it on the guy behind him (massive guy, 6'5") and joined friends over the far side of the pub. Asshole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

The exact same thing happened to me in a pub in Galway about a month ago, guy spilled drink on my back, first time he did it I turned and he just stared me out of it, 2 seconds later he does it again, this time he's looking for a fight. Big guy picking on a smaller guy, what a hero. Didn't give him the satisfaction, just asked him why he didn't try it on the guy behind him (massive guy, 6'5") and joined friends over the far side of the pub. Asshole!

I'd have killed him for that.

Degsy wrote: »
    I remember when i was in school a fight was called between two really good scrappers,the venue was chosen as being immediatly outside the front of the school and everybody was looking forward to it,a highlight as it were.Anyhoo,the bell rang and six hundred kids rushed out to get a ringside view of the forthcoming battle.The two blokes stood there untill everybody was assembled and JUST before they were about to get it on a sout went up that Noddy,the vice principle was on his way.One of the blokes was brighter than the other and legged it into the crowd,leaving the other(fairly dim) bloke standing in a clearing with six hundred kids around him.Everything went silent.Then Noddy burst through the crowd and into the clearing just in time to hear the bloke shout "..and then the kerryman said.."!Priceless.
    Did you go to OCS by any chance?
    O'Connell Schools - North Richmond St Dn1 - my alma mater too.

That makes four of us. Without turning this into an OCS reunion party, our 1st - 3rd year Science teacher whose name rhymes with Nice (baldy pr1ck), was also the TY year head and for one class a week we had Noddy (who had effectively retired from actual teaching at this stage) take the class 'cos he (the baldy fncker) was doing TY stuff. Every week, without fail, for the whole of 3rd year, he went through the 1st chapter in the science book. Next week, he'd start it again.

It got to the stage where we practically knew it off by heart, and Nody caught me talking one day and gave me a few lines or asked me to write out the chapter that night or some other such punishment. 5 minutes later, as he's going through his regular spiel about knee joints, I finish his sentence by mumbling "synovial fluid". Noddy stops and says, "good man, Shifty, cancel those lines i asked you to do". Classic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i threw my first punch in anger ever at the end of august on d'olier street

i was drunk and saw a guy going for the bouncer in spar/mace and it was the second week in a row id seen him get serious agro so in my drunken state i pulled your man off him

the guy started pushing telling me it was none of my business etc (which it wasnt) and for some reason i just got really pissed off and decked him...........

he got back up and knocked 10 shades of **** out of me then proceded to be all nice and tell me how the only reason he didnt stab me was coz he knew i thought i was doing the right thing...then the gardai came and he scarpered queue sore jaw for a week

the bouncer did say thanks tho

• Advertisement

No offence PeakOutput, but I've done some seriously ridiculous things when drunk, but nothing.......absolutely NOTHING!! as dumb as that.

WTF were you thinking?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah a good few, I went to a school of 90% kn...unplesnt people. Since I was 11/12 I was 5' 10 and about 12 stone so I had it easy in them growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I did hair-pulling, slapping and pushing type stuff to my friends when I was really small (4 or 5). I was a spoilt little bitch and used to boss them around dreadfully - when I think of the way I used to shout at them, it horrifies me! There's a pic of us on my fourth birthday and I'm giving out **** to one of them and she's bawling crying. The others are just staring down at their feet in fear. It looks really funny now but what a little cow I was! Christ, I deserved some kicking. But I got it. One day, the quietest of my friends couldn't take it any more and lost it with me. She was one strong girl, bless her. Made absolute **** of me! Fair play to her. That incident made me cop the **** on. Any bullying tendencies never went any further - I swear!
    I'm still really good friends with the poor girl who was crying in the picture. The girl who beat me up moved to Dublin shortly after.
    Other than that, I lost my temper and boxed a girl in the face in sixth year. There were a few knacker bitches in my year and they previously wouldn't have bothered speaking to me (I was an indie chick - too "weird" for them) but they were all over me that day - I had done something violent, therefore I was "cool". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the last fight i was in was in school over a can of coke, now im very good mates with the opponent. silly stuff now when i look back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Never, well, not since a very minor scuffle in my primary school days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

loads of them they were great fun
    I acctually go back to my old schools these days for fights I win a lot more in my old primary school than i used to though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

don't think school fights are the same as fights on the street

i also don't think that fights are unavoidable
    i used to drive taxis in sligo town and trust me i've seen many people being
    attacked on the street for no raeson

someone goes for you on the street tho run cos they are oviously a nutcase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭TheJoker

I was in a fight a year ago next week. Me and 5 of my friends, one of who was an off duty guard, were hopped on my a rather large group of Finglas's finest.

Anyway long story short I ended up in hospital for the weekend to get my jaw wired. The rest of my friends managed to get away with bottles of spirits breaking over their heads.

The bottles used on me didnt break but my jaw did.:(

Also had a nice black eye for about 4 weeks after it....

Happy times. :cool: <- Me wearing glasses to cover my black eye, note the lobsided jaw! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

:D
    shane86 wrote: »
    . In all my years Ive had trouble once in Dublin on a night out, yet have ended up having to diffuse situations down the sticks god knows how many times. Country towns on bank holiday weekends are like Fallujah.

For all the spoofers in the thread...

You wouldn't believe how close this is to reality!.

I recently spoke (in a thread) about this with Dragan, both of us are experience doorstaff (bouncers) and we both agreed. Dublin hasn't a patch on country towns when it comes to street violence.

Worse place (for trouble/fighting) I've ever worked was Leixlip (Co.Kildare), the amount of fighting I done in that place is unreal, and I hear it hasn't changed awhole lot.

Almost as bad was the upper end of the main street in Swords, although these days you wouldn't call Swords 'country side', but back in the day it was.

Difference between Dub's and country lads, the Dub 'hardman' will take a clatter, reach for the phone and cry for the cops.

The country lad will take his punishment, give you a good ol' scrap and walk away with no threat of garda action :D

I've never been beat in a street fight, but I've been beaten lots in competition (kickboxing & Judo) and in the last few year's I've had more defeats than win's :o But I'll keep try'n :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rbd wrote: »
    don't think school fights are the same as fights on the street

i also don't think that fights are unavoidable
    i used to drive taxis in sligo town and trust me i've seen many people being
    attacked on the street for no raeson

someone goes for you on the street tho run cos they are oviously a nutcase

I'm from sligo, fights are unavoidable. :P

Dudess wrote: »
    I did hair-pulling, slapping and pushing type stuff to my friends when I was really small (4 or 5). I was a spoilt little bitch and used to boss them around dreadfully - when I think of the way I used to shout at them, it horrifies me! There's a pic of us on my fourth birthday and I'm giving out **** to one of them and she's bawling crying. The others are just staring down at their feet in fear. It looks really funny now but what a little cow I was! Christ, I deserved some kicking. But I got it. One day, the quietest of my friends couldn't take it any more and lost it with me. She was one strong girl, bless her. Made absolute **** of me! Fair play to her. That incident made me cop the **** on. Any bullying tendencies never went any further - I swear!
    I'm still really good friends with the poor girl who was crying in the picture. The girl who beat me up moved to Dublin shortly after.
    Other than that, I lost my temper and boxed a girl in the face in sixth year. There were a few knacker bitches in my year and they previously wouldn't have bothered speaking to me (I was an indie chick - too "weird" for them) but they were all over me that day - I had done something violent, therefore I was "cool". :rolleyes:

Holy sh*t young lady, 'tis off to anger management classes with you!.

Or drop over to us on the Self Defence & Martial Arts forum for a chat :D

I'm from sligo, fights are unavoidable. :P

I've had lots of fights in Sligo too!...

BUt mine were in the leisure centre/Hall on the right (haven't a clue the name of the place) in kickboxing competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Saruman wrote: »
    I was once beaten with bars and sticks by about 12 or more lads. I did not even do anything, some trouble one halloween and i was not even there. The next night they came looking for someone, i was picked out of the 3 of us walking because i was the biggest. I just covered my fact and ducked down till they got bored. It took me a while to notice my head was split open and there was blood everywhere. Did not even feel the beating much. I did not fight back, it would have been much worse if i had.

So never been in an actual fight.

Eh, that's a fight. I mean beating/fight, there's no real difference.

I was only in one proper one really. A group of scum attack me and my mates. Won't go into all the detail. Came away from it with a cut and a bruise on my head but it was three or four of them against one of me.

And sorry to dissapoint TheThing but this didn't happen till I'd left community school and was half way through commerce in UCD (don'tyouknow).

@TheJoker, sorry to hear that mate, that's pretty bad.

Mairt wrote: »
    I've had lots of fights in Sligo too!...

BUt mine were in the leisure centre/Hall on the right (haven't a clue the name of the place) in kickboxing competitions.

Might be the place where I learned Karate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Thrice. The third one was the only one with blood (not mine thankfully). The school I was in was full of scumbags.

• Advertisement

Don't know if this counts, but have been in many scraps on the hurling pitch over the years. Never started them but when some guy's swinging a punch or a hurl at you you can't really run away.
    Most memorable is the time a (now) Donegal local politician and 2FM sports newsreader who I was marking spat in my face (he was bigger and taller than me and thought he could push me around). Will never forget the look of shock on his face when I punched him quite hard in the jaw. Started squealing to the ref, but the ref had seen what he did so he ignored it. He spent the rest of the game playing up the far end of the pitch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Right so he spat drink on you, but how exactly would getting in a full blown fight help the matter? Tell him to f*ck off and walk away. Or are you such an angry person that you would have to head butt him.

I'd be like yourself and be in favour of avoiding violent confrontation unless absolutely necesssary.

Unfortunately
    telling someone to fcuk off (perfectly reasonable) would be provocative to a belligerent drunken dolt. So a fight is often unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Never actually been in a proper fight, a screaming match with another girl on the middle of Leeson Street is about the extent of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Worse place (for trouble/fighting) I've ever worked was Leixlip (Co.Kildare), the amount of fighting I done in that place is unreal, and I hear it hasn't changed awhole lot.

I agree with you completely, was driving home from Lanzerote on Monday morning around three in the morning (I live in Leixlip) and the high street was like a war zone with scum coming out of the nightclubs, people throwing stones at the car and trying to jump on top of it, with people fighting and vomiting all over the place :(. Not nice

I recently spoke (in a thread) about this with Dragan, both of us are experience doorstaff (bouncers) and we both agreed. Dublin hasn't a patch on country towns when it comes to street violence.

Almost as bad was the upper end of the main street in Swords, although these days you wouldn't call Swords 'country side', but back in the day it was.

Difference between Dub's and country lads, the Dub 'hardman' will take a clatter, reach for the phone and cry for the cops.

The country lad will take his punishment, give you a good ol' scrap and walk away with no threat of garda action
    Heh, Terry will like that!
    Yeah, seems to be true all right about country towns. My mate's from Listowel - sounds frightening.
    There's also the phenomenon of towns fighting each other, which I think is just hilarious. Talk about primal tribalism! These "place versus place" fights are actually planned for e.g. Friday nights. Cork's unreal for it. Not just country towns either - suburbs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't know if this counts, but have been in many scraps on the hurling pitch over the years. Never started them but when some guy's swinging a punch or a hurl at you you can't really run away.
    Most memorable is the time a (now) Donegal local politician and 2FM sports newsreader who I was marking spat in my face (he was bigger and taller than me and thought he could push me around). Will never forget the look of shock on his face when I punched him quite hard in the jaw. Started squealing to the ref, but the ref had seen what he did so he ignored it. He spent the rest of the game playing up the far end of the pitch :D

Hehe, ah yes brings me back alright. What country boy playing football didn't have an odd scrap? :D It was all in good fun. I had to laugh at the chap who tried to spit at me in a game and it blew back onto his shirt, win! :)

Well there was that time when I had to drag Terry out of the female toilets, SNIFFING them so he was.

But its our little secret and I'm not telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wow! Did they all queue up to assault you separately, or did they all dive in together?

Of course they didn't queue up! That would be ridiculous. They circled me, I raised my leg until it was perpendicular to my body and started spinning like a top. As I said, they passed away but I have little (if any) remorse.

Hmmm... in the movies, the bad guys do tend to line up and take swipes one at a time. Especially Asian bad guys using kung fu moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yeah, seems to be true all right about country towns. My mate's from Listowel - sounds frightening.
    There's also the phenomenon of towns fighting each other, which I think is just hilarious. Talk about primal tribalism! These "place versus place" fights are actually planned for e.g. Friday nights. Cork's unreal for it. Not just country towns either - suburbs too.

Wexford town Vs. Enniscorthy.. Nuff' said haha :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement