Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truckload of dell XPS's going tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Definately no BR drives in it then???

/sitting waiting in hope/ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Definately no BR drives in it then???

/sitting waiting in hope/ ;)

Ill check, just have to get this bloody stand on, does not align to the screwhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Ill check, just have to get this bloody stand on, does not align to the screwhole.

Perhaps that's why they were cheap. It was odd though, if not to difficult to overcome. You got a 720 right?

No Blueray, not that lucky. But got an XPS black T-Shirt..

If you get the SLI make sure that there are one white and one black cable going into each card, in mine it was plugged in 2x10amp in the lower and 2x6 amp in the top card. Atleast do it before you start running crysis demo on max.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rossallan

My 710 arrived today.The case is gorgeous, although it is huge and rather heavy.

It's the 32bit version of Vista home premium on it if anyone's wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I can't live with 8% slower, lol

Actually if you look at the benches users are posting for Crysis on the OcUK forums, the 8800gt is generally coming in at 10-12% slower. Still good, considering it uses 80watts less, costs half as much in some places compared to a gtx, and gives more then 85% of the performance.

I haven't taken delivery of the 720 yet, but as I'm feeling a bit generous with the cash, I was thinking of splashing out on an extra 2gb of corsair ram. But is there any point? If its vista 32, does it only pickup on 3gb of ram?

I haven't taken delivery of the 720 yet, but as I'm feeling a bit generous with the cash, I was thinking of splashing out on an extra 2gb of corsair ram. But is there any point? If its vista 32, does it only pickup on 3gb of ram?

Nha forget it, buy something else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

got my 710 just now. It's a friggin monster.

Had a quick look inside. 2 HD's only and integrated sound.
    The mouse and keyboard are poxy and no t-shirt.:(

Still, great value purchase.

• Advertisement

Anybody who got a 710, does your PSU sound raspy? (I can't really hear it from my seat, but it's very clear if my head is anywhere near the back of the machine)

Zab wrote: »
    Anybody who got a 710, does your PSU sound raspy? (I can't really hear it from my seat, but it's very clear if my head is anywhere near the back of the machine)

I think I have a grasshopper in my case :eek:

I think I have a grasshopper in my case :eek:

It sounds kind of like electrical sparks, although I'm not saying that's what it is.

I just put in a DVD and it sounds like the disk is vibrating up and down in the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

kaizersoze wrote: »
    got my 710 just now. It's a friggin monster.

Had a quick look inside. 2 HD's only and integrated sound.
    The mouse and keyboard are poxy and no t-shirt.:(

Still, great value purchase.

Think that might be 720's only with the T-shirt.

My 710 has just a fany mouse pad and the normal stuff. I doubt I'll be using the keyboard and mouse!

Speakers might be handy for the lap top though! :p

It sounds kind of like electrical sparks, although I'm not saying that's what it is.

I just put in a DVD and it sounds like the disk is vibrating up and down in the drive.

Okay, changing one of the screws on that 15 in 1 reader seems to have fixed the vibrations caused by the DVD drive. Which is good.

I still don't like the sound of the PSU though. Also, I didn't get any speakers :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can't live with 8% slower, lol

They should overclock really well seeing as they're 65nm instead of 80nm.

QUOTE]

Known issue :(
    "
    Power supply noise issue: This PSU has a noticable crackle sound that get's louder under load. The sound is apparently caused by a vibrating coil and has also been described as a buzz or even cicada noise!

Apparently this only affects European models, and I can hear it the moment I open the door to the study - very annoying that the (very expensive) liquid cooled H2C beast is so quiet except for the badly designed PSU.

Customer Care have acknowledged that it is a known issue, and that there is no point replacing the PSU as it will exhibit the same symptoms - this implies that all units are affected? The quality control lab at Dell must be very noisy for this to be missed during European production of the 710 H2C and 720 H2C!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

QUOTE]

"
    Power supply noise issue: This PSU has a noticable crackle sound that get's louder under load. The sound is apparently caused by a vibrating coil and has also been described as a buzz or even cicada noise!

Apparently this only affects European models, and I can hear it the moment I open the door to the study - very annoying that the (very expensive) liquid cooled H2C beast is so quiet except for the badly designed PSU.

Customer Care have acknowledged that it is a known issue, and that there is no point replacing the PSU as it will exhibit the same symptoms - this implies that all units are affected? The quality control lab at Dell must be very noisy for this to be missed during European production of the 710 H2C and 720 H2C!"

Replace the psu with the money you saved :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

My god its huge.....

Going to have to get out the drill to get it to fit....

Anyone do any benchs yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rossallan

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Anyone do any benchs yet?
    Just run 3D Mark 2006 on my 710, got 11806

Not sure how good that is though :)

• Advertisement

Nah forget it, buy something else :)

Thanks! But I'm curious to why it would not improve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

rossallan wrote: »

Very Nice

On the 3dmark forum the below guy scores the same,with a overclocked to the top system...

64. dune2 - 11806 marks - GeForce 8800 GTX @ 625/1000mhz - Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4GHz, GeForce 8800GTX @ 625/2000 MHz

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=179987

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Very Nice

On the 3dmark forum the below guy scores the same,with a overclocked to the top system...

64. dune2 - 11806 marks - GeForce 8800 GTX @ 625/1000mhz - Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4GHz, GeForce 8800GTX @ 625/2000 MHz

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=179987

Do the 710s have quads?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ye.

Ye.

That would explain why this system at factory clocks is getting the same score as that overclocked system. If the other one had a quad it would get a much higher score.

QUOTE]

"

Thanks for that Nordic, I was wondering if it was going to have to go back or not. Interesting that it could sound so bad that I assumed it was broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

rossallan wrote: »

11924 with the processor overclocked to 3.19GHz.

The Windows Experience Index is let down by the RAM @ 4.8.
    All the other components are 5.9, which is the highest rating I think.

No 3d Mark from me tonite, i was busy playing with my new SLI setup :eek:

Ok, one quick 3d mark 2006 (Professional edition) before bed, 14797 :cool:
    720 H2C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Nice score there. What were you up to in those 1st pics messing with your SLI setup?? Oh I had 4 star pizza today, coincidence.

What day did you ring Dell to confirm yours and what day did you recieve it if you dont mind me asking?

I got the call in just before they finished at 4 on friday for my 720 and its just at "dispatched" as of today (thursday) although it was in "production" until yesterday. Eta is 2/11.

Advertisement