Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truckload of dell XPS's going tomorrow

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seen this guy or ?
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=36974
    Selling his for 2.5K

Ummm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Zab wrote: »
    Okay, I haven't actually looked, is it the motherboard connection that is proprietary? I had thought that proprietary connections were a thing of the past, it's disappointing that this isn't the case. If it's just the case lights or some crap I'm happy to do without them.

It even crackles when it's turned off.

All Dell cases use a proprietry wiring harness for the front ports. But all Dell (votro, inspiron desktop) cases are now using atx standard 24pin and 8pin eps or 4 pin 12v connectors. The exception is the XPS 710 and 720 which uses a proprietry EPS connector. So you cannot change the PSU. Unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I can get 2gb of new Corsair Dominator 8500 1066mhz ram for around 110e. Is this a good deal? Is this ram generally considered to be the best option for the 720?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Yes thats the Ram I bought. Brings the wei score up to 5.7 although someone here said they got 5.9 with the PC-6400 Dominator.

Either way the machine seems much faster with the ram upgrade.
    At the minute though im having a problem in that if I want it overclocked I have to go into the Bios every start up and set CPU and EPP manually. Its not saving them for some reason.. annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Karsini wrote: »
    Not exactly. The amount seems to depend on the motherboard, or chipset more specifically. I've seen anything from 2.93GB (Intel P965) to 3.5GB (nForce 650i). While the underlying problem is the limit on 32-bit addressing it's really an OS limitation introduced for backwards compatibility, XP SP1 can see the full 4GB if PAE is enabled.

it depends of how much memory you have on your graphics card.
    more gpu memory -> less ram memory, as total has to be sth about 3.8g

• Advertisement

Which would you go for in a 720 H2C, Corsair Dominator or Ballistix Tracer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Well Dell sell them with Dominator if you select it, so I chose that assuming there would be no compatability issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Can anyone post a few benchmarks with the faster RAM installed on the 710 (particularly at 1900x1200)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

I ended up disabling the piece of sh*t card reader on the 710 I got. It couldn't read read modern SD HC cards and was causing trouble with a couple of older USB devices.

Has anyone downgraded Vista to XP on these machines? Any pointers or tips? Seriously considering this, don't like Vista at all...

Ardent wrote: »
    I ended up disabling the piece of sh*t card reader on the 710 I got. It couldn't read read modern SD HC cards and was causing trouble with a couple of older USB devices.

Has anyone downgraded Vista to XP on these machines? Any pointers or tips? Seriously considering this, don't like Vista at all...

Yeah, I'm going to disable it as well. No need for it.

Had thought about going back to XP, but I'm going to give Vista another while. Probably not being exploited to its full potential yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Just to say thanks to everyone here for the advice and help. Dell lost my original 710 order and in the end sent me a brand spanking new XPS 720H2C (not bad for 960 euro). Now will I use its full capacity?.....don't think so. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

dathi1 wrote: »
    Just to say thanks to everyone here for the advice and help. Dell lost my original 710 order and in the end sent me a brand spanking new XPS 720H2C (not bad for 960 euro). Now will I use its full capacity?.....don't think so. :eek:

Sell it than.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dathi1 wrote: »

Nice one.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Sell it than.

Don't worry ...he just posted that to rub it in :(

"wow look how fast that word document opened" & "I think these dual cards make the font look better" etc.... etc.... :p

It is a crime against nature that he has it... and me with crysis....

/sighs

Still not a bad bargain for 900 odd euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Don't worry ...he just posted that to rub it in :(

"wow look how fast that word document opened" & "I think these dual cards make the font look better" etc.... etc.... :p

It is a crime against nature that he has it... and me with crysis....

/sighs

Still not a bad bargain for 900 odd euro!!

Oh well. Turn, turn, turn. It will soon be old tech.

Advertisement