Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truckload of dell XPS's going tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

yop wrote: »
    Lads,
    What is the a "Standard Dell Warranty" that comes with these rigs?
    90 days is it or 1 year?

Standard 1 Year warranty. (Collect & Return I'd imagine not NBD Warranty for repairs.)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Have static noise when playing music/video (z-5500) :(, only me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Did anybody here receive a second XPS 710 from DellEbay??? They're telling me now I'm someone else!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

majiktripp wrote: »
    Standard 1 Year warranty. (Collect & Return I'd imagine not NBD Warranty for repairs.)

Mine is 1Y NBD onsite

dathi1 wrote: »
    Did anybody here receive a second XPS 710 from DellEbay??? They're telling me now I'm someone else!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Maybe someone called Dell with the item number and bought it for himselfe, an undesirable character could do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Maybe someone called Dell with the item number and bought it for himselfe, an undesirable character could do that.
    So bidding on Ebay and winning the bid, then paying with your card and getting confirmation ie: item "dispatched and Paid" is no guarantee that you'll get the item?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dathi1 wrote: »
    So bidding on Ebay and winning the bid, then paying with your card and getting confirmation ie: item "dispatched and Paid" is no guarantee that you'll get the item?

Get back on the phone and give someone a roasting. Tell them you'll be lodging a complaint with Ebay aswell and follow through with it if you don't get satisfaction. Ask for a supervisor if you're getting nowhere.
    If it's dispatched give Interlink a ring.

If anybody decides to replace the PSU could you post and tell us how you got on?

I had to replace the PSU in my last Dell, and to be honest I was really hoping that this machine would just work out of the box.

Proprietary connectors so think ill leave the thought of changing it,, i am sad to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I am looking to replace the graphics card of my laptop. At the moment I have 128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS.

Which I would live to replace with 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT.

I saw lots of discussion around the graphics here so I am hoping someone would be able to help me out.

First is it possible to replace this card in a laptop? If yes then where to find it and how much it would cost?

I checked dell and some other websites but cant seem to find it :(

Obviously after that I would be looking to sell off the old one as well :)

• Advertisement

Okay, I haven't actually looked, is it the motherboard connection that is proprietary? I had thought that proprietary connections were a thing of the past, it's disappointing that this isn't the case. If it's just the case lights or some crap I'm happy to do without them.

It even crackles when it's turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I am looking to replace the graphics card of my laptop. At the moment I have 128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS.

Which I would live to replace with 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT.

I saw lots of discussion around the graphics here so I am hoping someone would be able to help me out.

First is it possible to replace this card in a laptop? If yes then where to find it and how much it would cost?

I checked dell and some other websites but cant seem to find it :(

Obviously after that I would be looking to sell off the old one as well :)

This isnt the tread for this. Try the laptop forum.

In advance id say its unlikely the card would fit if it isnt already an original upgrade option on the dell site. If it is and does fit ebay is one of your few options. Now off to the laptop forum with you! ;)

Back on topic,

Just wanted to say if anyone wants to clean install vista and has the 2 x 160gb Raptors (in Raid 0) and 1 x 500gb Baracuda configuration, you may need to temporarily unplug the media card reader and/or the 500gb drive so that the vista install will see your Raid drive.

Just did this myself and it seems to be running faster. Next on the list better Ram. :)

Just did this myself and it seems to be running faster. Next on the list better Ram. :)

Just after hours of installling you say this,,would have thought the two raptors should run faster than they are but i have never run a raid 0 setup before so was ready to ditch the two drives on the adverts as i could use the space they fill up with bigger drives.

Yep, the ram is awful, not sure to go for 6400 or 8500 dominator though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Back on topic,

Just wanted to say if anyone wants to clean install vista and has the 2 x 160gb Raptors (in Raid 0) and 1 x 500gb Baracuda configuration, you may need to temporarily unplug the media card reader and/or the 500gb drive so that the vista install will see your Raid drive.

Forget about increasing RAM unless you upgrade to Vista 64 bit, Faster ram is fine. Just that 32 Bit operating systems won't see more than 3.12gb

Croc wrote: »
    Forget about increasing RAM unless you upgrade to Vista 64 bit, Faster ram is fine. Just that 32 Bit operating systems won't see more than 3.12gb

Lol, if I had a euro for every time ive read/heard/told people about that my credit card wouldnt be so sore right now. :p

Needless to say ill be putting aside the stock 2gb thats currently installed and getting 2gb Dominator (2gb total, dont want the stock dragging down the Dominators).
    Just after hours of installling you say this,,would have thought the two raptors should run faster than they are but i have never run a raid 0 setup before so was ready to ditch the two drives on the adverts as i could use the space they fill up with bigger drives.

Yep, the ram is awful, not sure to go for 6400 or 8500 dominator though ?

Yea I always find machines run quicker with a clean install. It was bothering me that the Raid drive wasnt showing up to install vista on yet the Baracuda was, so I looked around and eventually figured out to many drive letters were being used by the card reader/Baracuda. Thought id mention it here in case anyone else was doing the same.

I also deleted the useless Recovery partition Dell made from the Raid drive, then formated the OS partition of the Raid drive and regained that 10gb the Recovery was taking. This should speed it up more so slightly as theres no partitions and the drive is larger.

I think ill go for the 8500 as it will remove any need for future ram upgrades hence saving me money in the long run.

Might get the Corsair Airflow fan for them too, Komplett sell the sticks and the fan in a package for €20 more. May be worth it seeing as ill overclock the Ram hopefully and the cooling in the case isn't great due to the fact that they put less fans in there with the H2C unit doing most of the work.

Croc wrote: »
    Not exactly. The amount seems to depend on the motherboard, or chipset more specifically. I've seen anything from 2.93GB (Intel P965) to 3.5GB (nForce 650i). While the underlying problem is the limit on 32-bit addressing it's really an OS limitation introduced for backwards compatibility, XP SP1 can see the full 4GB if PAE is enabled.

Komplett sell the sticks and the fan in a package for €20 more
    Funny, if you buy the fan separately you save 99 cent :D

Funny, if you buy the fan separately you save 99 cent :D

Lol, I noticed that! Odd!

Has anybody tried going over 3.46Ghz on the 720s? Options over 4Ghz in the bios.. tempting..

Has anybody tried going over 3.46Ghz on the 720s? Options over 4Ghz in the bios.. tempting..

Blue screen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Back on topic,

Did a clean install on mine last night. Set the raptors in mirror mode for security. Left the recovery section as it was. Have the OS on the raptors now and formatted the 500gb for storage. No issues with the card reader though, I didn't have to remove them.

No issues with the card reader though, I didn't have to remove them.
    If the disk is partitioned already you'll have no problems with the card reader. But if it's blank, the Windows setup will assign drive C: onwards to the card reader and give your disk the next available letter. Easiest way round it when using a Windows disc is to run the setup, choose the unformatted space to install it to, then press F3 to exit and run the setup again with the new partition present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

unklerosco wrote: »
    pm sent fionn

Sent you a pm this morning. Had a problem completing the sale with Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Fionn has taken my dell... done n done

How much of a difference would we see if we installed 8500 dominator ram?

The vista index score was up from 5.1 to 5.9 with epp enable and Dominator 6400, now all are 5.9.

Dunno if you notice anything in normal applications though.

My vista score is 5.2 atm with the ram that came with the system. I wonder is it worth upgrading:confused:

The vista index score was up from 5.1 to 5.9 with epp enable and Dominator 6400, now all are 5.9.

Dunno if you notice anything in normal applications though.

Temped to get the cheaper 6400 but it wont clock to 1066Mhz with EEP unless its the 8500..

Seen this guy or ?
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=36974
    Selling his for 2.5K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Isn't it against the rules to sell things for a profit on adverts?

Advertisement