Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedians that suck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Lee Evans drives me up the wall. And not with laughter.

He looks like he's trying to channel Mary Poppins' Dick van Dyke and failing miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

patmac wrote: »
    Anyone watch top 100 best stand ups on E4 last weekend, had Harry Hill in the top ten with loads of celebs explaining how hilarious he is if you get surrealism and that Ross Noble bloke, seen both live along with Dave McSavage didn't laugh once, surrealism = ****é imo.

Oh no you didn't *snaps fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Oh no you didn't *snaps fingers*

Sorry, I meant Ross Noble and Dave McSavage(could have been his first gig) were both on in Galway about 5-6 years ago(or longer maybe) in the Cuba club or was it some comedy club, my memory ain't what it used to be especially with all the drink involved(meaning that weekend). Still terribly unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

So you're saying McSavage and HH are crap but not Ross Noble? I can deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

star-pants wrote: »
    ah now.... tbh I'm generally of the opinion... most women aren't that funny

but I like Victoria Wood... and Pauline McGlynn as Mrs Doyle

its not that women are incapable of being funny. when they're reading material that was written by a man like ms doyle was it can be funny. its when they write it themselves that its crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

its not that women are incapable of being funny. when they're reading material that was written by a man like ms doyle was it can be funny. its when they write it themselves that its crap
    Ohh.. Posthumous Medal for Bravery coming your way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Joe Rooney,
    Dermot Whelan (that fella off 98fm who's now on the panel)
    Michelle Reid
    Mark Lamar
    Does Julian Clary count? If so, he's so gone
    And if he counts so does Graham Norton
    Bob Monkhouse, Ken Dodd, Frankie Howard (all oldies, don't know if they count)
    Brendan Dempsey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

saw Ed Byrne there on Sunday night here in Boston. Thought he did a good show tbh.

My bet hate are the majority of female comedians, their material is usually poor and their delivery is suspect. An awful combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

While I agree that a couple of the suggested comedians (I wont say who for fear of them finding and killing me) but at least they have worked on material.
    Now my nomination is Carlos Mencia, a man who has robbed every single joke in his arsenal. He is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, women are not funny, I've had this argument amillion times, I mean, I like women as much as the next man, but for sleeping with, not laughing with!!
    Lee Evans, ugh!! Used to hate Jason Byrne but saw him live and he's not that bad. Tommy Tiernan has his moments, but for the most part, not that funny! I used to love Des Bishop, listened to him years ago on late nite 98 fm, but his material is getting a bit old and repetitive!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Karl Spain - funny as cancer.

Julez wrote: »
    Yeah, women are not funny, I've had this argument amillion times,

While I'll agree that most female comedians range from poor to atrocious I have to say there are a few that are very funny. Wanda Sykes, Paula Bell and Shappi Khorisandi to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

prospect wrote: »
    I can't beleive Tommy Tiernan, Dara O'Briain & Billy Connelly are mentioned... These guys are all brilliant comedians.

However:
    Ed Byrne, Brendan O'Carroll, Andrew Maxwell, Lee Evans, The fat baldy english landlord bloke, Des Bishop and Patrick Kielty are all terrible terrible comedians.

I like Tommy Tiernan and Dara O'Briain too but def have to disagree with you on Andrew Maxwell!
    <snip> Read the Charter! - Zapp
    Love Jimmy Carr too!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Julez wrote: »
    Des Bishop, listened to him years ago on late nite 98 fm, but his material is getting a bit old and repetitive!

One trick pony!

You've been living here for about 15 years now.

You are not a fish out of water any more.

The stuff you see every day is no longer a culture shock when you've been living here for almost half your life.

So please stop putting on culchie accents and dishing out material where the idea of immersion seems foreign to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Most musical comedy acts - they just act really cheesy and it doesn't work for most of them.

Flight of the Conchords, however, are fantastic - that's how it should be done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Jeapy wrote: »
    I like Tommy Tiernan and Dara O'Briain too but def have to disagree with you on Andrew Maxwell!! Love Jimmy Carr too!:p

I saw Andrew Maxwell in Vicar Street on Friday and he was very poor. He's a good comic but he put zero effort in and just sat there doing very little material and interacting with the drunk crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

stipey wrote: »
    One trick pony!

You've been living here for about 15 years now.

You are not a fish out of water any more.

The stuff you see every day is no longer a culture shock when you've been living here for almost half your life.

So please stop putting on culchie accents and dishing out material where the idea of immersion seems foreign to you.
    :D Good point, although I have to say, while I do think he's generally overrated, he can be funkin hilarious

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hancock
    Chaplin is ok, but very very overrated compared to, say lloyd
    jim davidson
    Ross Noble
    zaph wrote: »
    Lee Evans has to be the worst though, he thinks he's the reincarnation of Norman Wisdom but is nowhere near as funny (and that's not meant as a compliment to Norman Wisdom).
    amen, saw the start of a Norma Wisdom film earlier and it was wojes. I've seen funny bones too :(
    arghh wrote: »
    all you get from comedians is middle class rant except for Freddie Starr:D
    has he changed his act in the last 20 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Arathorn wrote: »
    Ya McSavage is the worst of the worst, a paragraph from wikipedia

who says wikipedia isn't accurate lol

bit of info for you: have a wild stab in the dark, and guess who edited that wikipedia page........none other than McSavage himself, now i dont particularly like him, but thats kinda funny!!

CARLOS MENSTEALLA talentless theiving hack!

hotspur wrote: »
    I saw Andrew Maxwell in Vicar Street on Friday and he was very poor. He's a good comic but he put zero effort in and just sat there doing very little material and interacting with the drunk crowd.

completely have to disagree with you there, saw the same show on friday and loved it, ive seen maxwell now three times and i think he is a legend!!

• Advertisement

Hancock

Hopefully you mean Nick Hancock and not the great Tony Hancock. His Galton & Simpson penned Hancock's Half Hour series was fantastic.

This is actually a lousy thread, wish we hadn't done it. Really highlights just how subjective comedy can be. What can you do when one person say a comic isn't funny and another thinks they are great?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Silverman, Ed Byrne and Des Bishop.
    Don't know why Dara O'Brien and Andrew Maxwell have been mentioned but i guess everyone has there own tastes. I think Stephen Wright's alright as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

Frank Skinner... He's just the bloke down the pub who never seemed to get over puberty.

trogdor wrote: »
    Silverman,

+1, and her 'show' is terrible. One (not particularly funny) joke stretched out over half an hour.

i am goin to have to (slightly) disagree with galvasean there. yes sarah silvermans show is beyond brutal but she isnt actually that bad a stand up, she has done some pretty funny material on paris hilton, and i liked the britney stuff at the vmas, it was pretty blue material but funny none the less!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Emo Phillips. I physically cannot listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Vic Reeves. Wtf? Has he ever been funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Had to google this guy, cuz I've never watched him long enough to find out his name...

But the appearance of Alan Carr on TV is enough to make me vomit out my ear.

That is to say; I don't like him.

Emo Phillips. I physically cannot listen to him.

+1 he wrecks my head too!!

• Advertisement

+1 he wrecks my head too!!

Aren't you a comic though? I've never met a comic who didn't love Emo, weird.

Advertisement