Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Messages going fine from Vodafone and O2 to Ireland for me (do not use Meteor and do not know much about their text service-do they have it).
    Posting texts abroad from O2 seems to have been disabled (Vodafone never offered it).
    Just asking about messages abroad in case I am doing something wrong?
    They are going fine from the o2 website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

regedit wrote: »
    there are currently three messages waiting to be sent on the server but they're not due to be sent until tomorrow, 57 days from now and 86 days from now respectively so someone did something wrong smile.gif

lol. Reminds me of a support call I got one day regarding some information missing. Found it in the database dated March 23 3007. Dodgy coders. Wrote a reminder in the help desk just in case there's an issue on that day and knowing our place that software will probably still be in use then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

regedit wrote: »
    Messages going fine from Vodafone and O2 to Ireland for me (do not use Meteor and do not know much about their text service-do they have it).
    Posting texts abroad from O2 seems to have been disabled (Vodafone never offered it).
    Just asking about messages abroad in case I am doing something wrong?
    They are going fine from the o2 website.

that's a bug with my program that i thought i'd fixed. Try going into more-> manage server and untick use server and see if that works. You should put the number in the format 44xxxxx, not +44 or 0044

digatron, i think you quoted the wrong person there :)

Yeah lol. Copy and paste doh.:o And I slag the coders

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boarderuser

In a future version maybe have a group text which can also be scheduled to send in the future like you can do with individual texts. Handy for arranging things with friends or a happy new yr text so you can queue them all up. Handy app thanks

• Advertisement

yeah that's a good idea. i'll look into that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    yeah that's a good idea. i'll look into that

Pls look into supporting VoipCheap.com as well! They have free sms to 99 % of their destinations now!

http://www.voipcheap.com/en/sms-rates.html

How about message recall option? AFAIK you said that the messages are queued via scheduled job. Had an embarrassing incident last week after sending a txt to the wrong person as I forgot to change the phone number.:o Or an option to default to no number after you send a message?

OT You've probably plenty of hosting for the app already but if you need more give me a shout as my hosting package is well under utilised.

flodis79 wrote: »
    Pls look into supporting VoipCheap.com as well! They have free sms to 99 % of their destinations now!

i'm looking into that at the moment but that'll take a while to get up and running, if it turns out i can do it
    Dingatron wrote: »
    How about message recall option? AFAIK you said that the messages are queued via scheduled job. Had an embarrassing incident last week after sending a txt to the wrong person as I forgot to change the phone number.:o Or an option to default to no number after you send a message?
    when you say message recall, do you mean cancelling a scheduled text or recalling an already sent one? if the former, that'll be in the next release. if the latter, completely impossible i'm afraid.

it used to default to no number after sending a message but someone requested it to be this way. i might as well add that as an option too

OT You've probably plenty of hosting for the app already but if you need more give me a shout as my hosting package is well under utilised.
    i'm fine for hosting for the moment thanks to cabaal but thanks for the offer

when you say message recall, do you mean cancelling a scheduled text or recalling an already sent one?

Yep I meant the former 'cancelling a scheduled text'. That would be an option I'd use.
    i might as well add that as an option too

If its no bother but if its hassle don't worry about it.
    i'm fine for hosting for the moment thanks to cabaal but thanks for the offer

No problem the offers there if you ever need it. ;)

• Advertisement

Yep I meant the former 'cancelling a scheduled text'. That would be an option I'd use.

If its no bother but if its hassle don't worry about it.
    it wouldn't be much hassle. i've been meaning to put the option in anyway. i've had to do it myself once or twice. luckily i can stop my own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Just discovered this program! Excellent Job!!!

Would it be possible to have the "Save Password?" Option for every login user?
    For me I have it setup now for myself, dad and mum... handy for them to have their password saved but I'd rather enter my password on each login...

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Brianb8802

Just saw this today, very handy program.

Just wondering if its possible to add a setting for using a proxy server. My college network requires a proxy with user and password for ever message sent. Don't know if this is easy or not, but would be very handy. Even when you send a double text a window will pop up twice asking for user and password.

Thanks

chat2joe wrote: »
    Just discovered this program! Excellent Job!!!

Would it be possible to have the "Save Password?" Option for every login user?
    For me I have it setup now for myself, dad and mum... handy for them to have their password saved but I'd rather enter my password on each login...

Joe

yes that is possible and i'll add the option
    Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Just saw this today, very handy program.

Just wondering if its possible to add a setting for using a proxy server. My college network requires a proxy with user and password for ever message sent. Don't know if this is easy or not, but would be very handy. Even when you send a double text a window will pop up twice asking for user and password.

Thanks
    i haven't heard of that happening before. can i ask are you on o2 and if you click more->manage servers, is use server ticked

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Brianb8802

i haven't heard of that happening before. can i ask are you on o2 and if you click more->manage servers, is use server ticked

Ya im on O2, i wasnt ticked, but just tried it ticked, and its sorted.

With the way the network is set up whenever you start firefox or IE or any other program that accesses the net it asks you for user and pass when the program starts up but you only have to enter it once. It was just hassle every time i sent a message it was asking for them. Now it only asks once at startup.

Thanks for the tip

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Ya im on O2, i wasnt ticked, but just tried it checked, and its sorted.

With the way the network is set up whenever you start firefox or IE or any other program that accesses the net it asks you for user and pass when the program starts up but you only have to enter it once. It was just hassle every time i sent a message it was asking for them. Now it only asks once at startup.

Thanks for the tip

good to hear :)

using the server is faster anyway. the point of the client side sending is in case the server goes down. let me know if you have any more problems

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

flodis79 wrote: »

i'm looking into that at the moment but that'll take a while to get up and running, if it turns out i can do it

I only just spotted this post - I had a look into supporting VoipCheap.com a while back. It pure trivial to implement -- simply send the following GET request:
    https://myaccount.voipcheap.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=xxxx&password=xxxxx&from=xxxxx&to=xxxxx&text=xxxxxx

However, I didn't bother implementing it because on second glance, they don't seem quite so free. You seem to get a handful (about 10) of free texts when you sign up. You then cannot send texts until you pay a subscription (minimum EUR11.90). Once the subscription is paid you have (I think) 90 days called "freedays". When your freedays expire you are charged their "normal" rates. At best, it will cost you EUR11.90 every 90 days to use this service. That's not overly expensive, but it's also not "free" as they seem to suggest at first glance.

The Kid wrote: »
    I only just spotted this post - I had a look into supporting VoipCheap.com a while back. It pure trivial to implement -- simply send the following GET request:
    https://myaccount.voipcheap.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=xxxx&password=xxxxx&from=xxxxx&to=xxxxx&text=xxxxxx
    that's absolutely fantastic thanks for that. i've been writing a script to do that for me
    The Kid wrote: »
    However, I didn't bother implementing it because on second glance, they don't seem quite so free. You seem to get a handful (about 10) of free texts when you sign up. You then cannot send texts until you pay a subscription (minimum EUR11.90). Once the subscription is paid you have (I think) 90 days called "freedays". When your freedays expire you are charged their "normal" rates. At best, it will cost you EUR11.90 every 90 days to use this service. That's not overly expensive, but it's also not "free" as they seem to suggest at first glance.
    it's still good value as you say and people want it so i'm going to stick that it as soon as i get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Keep up the excellent work on Cabbage! I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and find it invaluable.

I was wondering whether you had considered an iPhone/iPod Touch port?

jArgHA wrote: »
    Keep up the excellent work on Cabbage! I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and find it invaluable.

I was wondering whether you had considered an iPhone/iPod Touch port?

there you go:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055247529

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Looks good mate! Trying it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Great program, thanks.

When I click Get Messages Left it sends a text with just "a" in it to whatever number it in the To field, and it deducts one text from the quota. This only seems to happen when I dont select "Use Server".

kc66 wrote: »
    Great program, thanks.

When I click Get Messages Left it sends a text with just "a" in it to whatever number it in the To field, and it deducts one text from the quota. This only seems to happen when I dont select "Use Server".

ah crap, it shouldn't be doing that. i'll get that fixed. thanks for reporting it. for the moment just select use server to check your messages

edit: just confirmed it does indeed do it. the program is supposed to access the site with a message with just 'a' in it but its not supposed to feckin send it too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I keep getting "Error: (-5)"

orla wrote: »
    I keep getting "Error: (-5)"
    are you on meteor? I've been getting that intermittently all day with meteor myself. The site's just running slow and the problem should fix itself soon, assuming you're on meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I reckon Cabbage Desktop would look better like this

1207173624.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Just another minor bug.

If you send a message to a number that is manually entered, and there is a name still in the phonebook field from the previous message, when you check your message history it shows the new number and the name from the previous text.

random wrote: »
    I reckon Cabbage Desktop would look better like this

the problem there is that other people use the features that you've removed. i might make that display an option.
    kc66 wrote: »
    Just another minor bug.

If you send a message to a number that is manually entered, and there is a name still in the phonebook field from the previous message, when you check your message history it shows the new number and the name from the previous text.
    yes it does. thanks for reporting it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Fantastic application mate! Well done!

Can I ask if it is OK to save contacts with the full international dialing codes eg. 35386179xxyy or 35387415sscc

I have a separate phonebook form my contacts that I text internationally through 02 and for the others here in Ireland I text through 087. Will the Vodafone web text site recognize an Irish number if it is saved as above?

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote: »
    Fantastic application mate! Well done!

Can I ask if it is OK to save contacts with the full international dialing codes eg. 35386179xxyy or 35387415sscc

I have a separate phonebook form my contacts that I text internationally through 02 and for the others here in Ireland I text through 087. Will the Vodafone web text site recognize an Irish number if it is saved as above?

Cheers,
    M

no it won't i'm afraid. you'll have to leave the irish numbers in the 08x format

and i'm sure you know this but for everyone's benefit, if you're entering an international number on o2, leave it as for example "44xxxxx" and not "+44xxxxx"

Advertisement