Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    Hey,
    I should be able to check that later on when the person with the 44 number is finished work and on msn.
    great thanks
    But from the cabbage program on my k800i, it definitely didn't work when I had +44, and when I did have +44, it would take away the plus when I clicked to send, so it looked like it was sending to just 44, but this still didn't send and the only one I sent was when it was using 0044 :confused:
    yes it does remove the + and it does some other formatting too and that's why i want you to do it manually in the address bar instead of in the program.

the odd thing is tha the o2 website sends just 44 so it should work but i want to be sure i have it right before i release a new one
    Do you know of any international program like cabbage that can be used with networks in the UK for example, so the person with the 44 number can text me for less than a cent from there? :)
    fraid not no

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ok, cool, I'll try them combinations and let you know later on. Does it drain more battery by having cabbage "minimised" on the k800i? It's just to avoid having to be asked every time I start it up again if I want to allow it to access the net, even if I have "ask once", it asks once every time I start the app, so it's probably best to just leave it running if it's not eating up too much battery? Trying to make a shortcut to it too, the quickest way I've found is going into the organiser and picking the "applications" tab as the shortcut, so if I press right on the joystick, I then just have to press in to open cabbage.

Ok, cool, I'll try them combinations and let you know later on. Does it drain more battery by having cabbage "minimised" on the k800i? It's just to avoid having to be asked every time I start it up again if I want to allow it to access the net, even if I have "ask once", it asks once every time I start the app, so it's probably best to just leave it running if it's not eating up too much battery? Trying to make a shortcut to it too, the quickest way I've found is going into the organiser and picking the "applications" tab as the shortcut, so if I press right on the joystick, I then just have to press in to open cabbage.

i have no idea if it wastes the battery more but i leave it going the whole tie and i haven't noticed any battery problems.

that ask once thing means ask once per instance of the program unfortunately. if i got a certificate for the program i could avoid all those prompts but that costs lots of money :)

if you minimise it, then press the button on the right between the C key and the right soft key, it'll bring up your running apps so it'll be there so you can bring it back in two clicks

Ah yeah, I knew there was a "running aps" button somewhere, couldn't find it last night :)

I'll report back once I've tested the +44 number anyway :)

Ah yeah, I knew there was a "running aps" button somewhere, couldn't find it last night :)

I'll report back once I've tested the +44 number anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Do you know of any international program like cabbage that can be used with networks in the UK for example, so the person with the 44 number can text me for less than a cent from there? :)

None of the uk operators have free texts unfortunately.

AFT includes support for SMSDiscount. With SMSDiscount you can send international texts for 2c. This is what I do when I am sending texts from the uk to irish numbers.

My bro in Germany just came on MSN so I tested with him :)

I sent 3 to him, a hello with the plus, a hellonoplus with just the 49 (code for germany), and a hellozerozero with 0049, he only got the hellozerozero, when I tried the +, I got a "bad gateway page", when I tried the noplus, it said the message sent and it showed my texts remaining (as it did on my phone) but it never got to him, and when I tried the 00, it showed me my new texts remaining but he got that one ;)

So that's exactly what happened on my phone aswell. It'll only work with 00 in front of it. The problem with that is not all international dialing thingies are 00, so I think it would be more compatible if it could work with the + instead of the 00. Also, when you get a call from an international, as Irish, number +353, +44, +49 comes up, so that's what you'd save the number with so it'd also be a lot easier in terms of sending, you wouldn't always have to put 00 in front :)

dal wrote: »
    None of the uk operators have free texts unfortunately.

AFT includes support for SMSDiscount. With SMSDiscount you can send international texts for 2c. This is what I do when I am sending texts from the uk to irish numbers.

Hey.. I thought this WAS AFT I was using, just a new name for it:pac: Are you guys competing?

So AFT can be downloaded by ppl in other countries and be used to connect with smsdiscount to send international texts for 2c? What's SmsDiscount? Is it a website?

My bro in Germany just came on MSN so I tested with him :)

I sent 3 to him, a hello with the plus, a hellonoplus with just the 49 (code for germany), and a hellozerozero with 0049, he only got the hellozerozero, when I tried the +, I got a "bad gateway page", when I tried the noplus, it said the message sent and it showed my texts remaining (as it did on my phone) but it never got to him, and when I tried the 00, it showed me my new texts remaining but he got that one ;)

So that's exactly what happened on my phone aswell. It'll only work with 00 in front of it. The problem with that is not all international dialing thingies are 00, so I think it would be more compatible if it could work with the + instead of the 00. Also, when you get a call from an international, as Irish, number +353, +44, +49 comes up, so that's what you'd save the number with so it'd also be a lot easier in terms of sending, you wouldn't always have to put 00 in front :)

that's told me a lot thanks. would you be able to send one more but with %2B instead of + (%2B is the code for +, you're not really supposed to put a + in a url)

so the number would be d=%2B49xxxxxxx

Hey.. I thought this WAS AFT I was using, just a new name for it:pac: Are you guys competing? :pac:

So AFT can be downloaded by ppl in other countries and be used to connect with smsdiscount to send international texts for 2c? What's SmsDiscount? Is it a website?

yeah it's a cut throat business this :pac:

we're not competing. i just had to learn j2me for my job and making cabbage mobile seemed like the obvious thing to help me learn. smsdiscount is something like voipcheap, if you know what that is :)

• Advertisement

Just tried the %2B49XXXXXXX and got this..
    Bad Request
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

The request line contained invalid characters following the protocol string.

:(

Just tried the %2B49XXXXXXX and got this..

:(

hmm. what i think i'll do is set it to change it to 00 if you put in a + but of course that won't work for all countries. i'll work on it. thanks for reporting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

'+' should be ok in a url. However its usually a substitute for a Space.

Do a search in google for:

"Sam Vimes Cabbage" will give:
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=sam+vimes+cabbage&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Well let me know if you want me to try any more + thingies.

ALL my numbers on the cabbage PC program have + in front of them and send no problem from there, so it's probably just a browser understanding issue trying to understand the + part of the line? As in, whatever connects from your server to O2's, because once it gets to o2, they can understand the plus since I've sent plus ones from o2.ie and then of course the pc cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Hey.. I thought this WAS AFT I was using, just a new name for it:pac: Are you guys competing?

I'm thinking about undercutting Sam Vimes by paying people to use AFT!

SMSDiscount is a website where you purchase credit and then get cheap texts. You can then use these texts to send to any international number for cheap. The texts even appear to come from your number.

You can use their website to send the texts or you can use a J2ME client. I think they might have one of their own, but it's totally rubbish, so use AFT.

Ok cool, might check it out :)

Sam, I just broke my cabbage :( I changed the linger time from 5 seconds to 9999, just so I can always see how many texts I have left before I send another one and just so I know the last message sent ok, and when I went to press enter, it said "Run time error '6', Overflow" and shut down, now every time I try start cabbage, it says this and wont start :(

Edit: Just fixed it by opening the "vars.txt" file in the program folder and setting it to 9999 instead, seems anything 5 digits or more gives that error.

'+' should be ok in a url. However its usually a substitute for a Space.

Do a search in google for:

"Sam Vimes Cabbage" will give:
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=sam+vimes+cabbage&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

ah yeah i know + changes to space, that's the problem. it's not supposed to be a space :)

but i have no idea why it's not accepting %2B, the correct code. must look into it
    Well let me know if you want me to try any more + thingies.

ALL my numbers on the cabbage PC program have + in front of them and send no problem from there, so it's probably just a browser understanding issue trying to understand the + part of the line? As in, whatever connects from your server to O2's, because once it gets to o2, they can understand the plus since I've sent plus ones from o2.ie and then of course the pc cabbage.

hmm. it's interesting that it works from the pc client. more to look into :)

dal wrote: »
    I'm thinking about undercutting Sam Vimes by paying people to use AFT!
    emmmm, i'll come to people's houses and give them massages as well as paying them!!

Ok cool, might check it out :)

Sam, I just broke my cabbage :( I changed the linger time from 5 seconds to 9999, just so I can always see how many texts I have left before I send another one and just so I know the last message sent ok, and when I went to press enter, it said "Run time error '6', Overflow" and shut down, now every time I try start cabbage, it says this and wont start :(

Edit: Just fixed it by opening the "vars.txt" file in the program folder and setting it to 9999 instead, seems anything 5 digits or more gives that error.

i must put in a bit of code to prevent people doing that so. any time something like that happens, an invalid value etc, you can go in and manually change the value in vars.txt or in the phone book or logins file to get it working again

Ok cool :) let me know when you want me to test out an international number again anyway. Actually I'm thinking, could we not just test it with our own numbers and put +353 in front? :o

i meant to say, if the message fails for whatever reason, the error message won't disappear so if it's blank when you look again, you know it sent properly. and if you want to see how many messages you have left without sending another, you can always look in the history or just click the messages left button :)

Ok cool :) let me know when you want me to test out an international number again anyway. Actually I'm thinking, could we not just test it with our own numbers and put +353 in front? :o

that's a possibility but i want to be sure it works internationally too. we don't know what kind of code o2 have in the background

• Advertisement

someone should try this with the +:
    telnet cabaal.org 80
    GET /cabbage/send.php?u=0871234567&p=1234&s=o&d=+491234567&m=hi HTTP/1.1
    Host: cabaal.org    (return)(return)

prob better to use putty if in Windows as Ms' telnet some times doesnt show chars

Yeah cool, sure post back here when you think you may have figured it out and I can try again :) does the mobile program use the same URL that I tried from my browser yeah?

someone should try this with the +:
    telnet cabaal.org 80
    Host: cabaal.org    (return)(return)

prob better to use putty if in Windows as Ms' telnet some times doesnt show chars

can't telnet in i'm afraid. it seems to be disabled
    Yeah cool, sure post back here when you think you may have figured it out and I can try again :) does the mobile program use the same URL that I tried from my browser yeah?

it does yeah and so does the desktop one

disabled on port 80? I mean use the telnet protocol to connect to the webserver on port 80.

disabled on port 80? I mean use the telnet protocol to connect to the webserver on port 80.

when i put telnet cabaal.org 80 into the command prompt it just goes to a blank screen and putty does the same. i may be doing it wrong?

you can paste the GEt at the blank screen. Im behine firewall/proxy here, but my friend tryed it and got:

Host: cabaal.org

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:01:36 GMT
    Server: Apache
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Content-Type: text/html

16c
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
                                                     <HTML><HEAD>
                                                                 <TITLE>400 Bad Req
    uest</TITLE>
               </HEAD><BODY>
                            <H1>Bad Request</H1>
                                                Your browser sent a request that th
    is server could not understand.<P>
                                     The request line contained invalid characters
    following the protocol string.<P>
                                    <P>
                                       <HR>
                                           <ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.33 Server at AppStuff  Port 80</ADDRESS>
                      </BODY></HTML>

right so. that's the same as we got when we put it in the address bar. i'll just have to change the code to work around it. thanks for that

I'm lost with the above posts :pac:

Do you think it might work soon? :)

I'm lost with the above posts :pac:

Do you think it might work soon? :)

ah yeah. i just have to set it to change + to 00 unless its +353. then it'll work for countries that use that format which is most i think. then i'll come up with a better way of doing it :D

• Advertisement

Check this: http://www.kropla.com/dialcode.htm

You'll see what while we use 00, many other countries don't. Although in saying that, I'm not sure if we'd ever need to use anything but 00 since we're texting FROM Ireland??? But of course it'd be best if the + worked so there'd be no need to worry about that :)

Advertisement