Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't suppose there's any way to integrate this into the desktop so you wouldn't have to have the program on the taskbar/system tray and could just click and send?

Something like this: http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php

Would be pretty cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's any way to integrate this into the desktop so you wouldn't have to have the program on the taskbar/system tray and could just click and send?

Something like this: http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php

Would be pretty cool :)

oooo that looks complicated. i don't see myself doing that tbh. sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Hi Sam,

I've been using cabbage on the PC for ages now, and was delighted to see cabbage mobile. However it won't work for me on my k850i using Vodafone Live! APN is does work using isp APN

AFT works using Live!, any idea why, any plans to change it?

BTW, i think that calendar app mentioned a few posts up is probably just a boarderless window, transparent background, icon in the tray and set to be always beneath everything else. Nothing too fancy.

I think a Cabbage SideBar Gadget would be awesome! I'll even help with development and test if you are interested.

HappyHarry wrote: »
    Hi Sam,

I've been using cabbage on the PC for ages now, and was delighted to see cabbage mobile. However it won't work for me on my k850i using Vodafone Live! APN is does work using isp APN

AFT works using Live!, any idea why, any plans to change it?
    the vodafone live apn is what's technically known as a piece of crap. i just tried the program in a k800i with a vodafone sim and i sent 5 messages using the live apn. the first failed, the second sent but the program said it failed, the next two worked with a long delay and the last sent in a second or two.

i used opera mini on the live apn for a while and it was a nightmare. i'd have to reload websites about ten times before they'd work.

basically, there's nothing wrong with the program and there's nothing i can do about it until vodafone fix their apn.

until then i recommend you use the isp apn for any java apps

BTW, i think that calendar app mentioned a few posts up is probably just a boarderless window, transparent background, icon in the tray and set to be always beneath everything else. Nothing too fancy.

I think a Cabbage SideBar Gadget would be awesome! I'll even help with development and test if you are interested.

now you mention it it doesn't seem that complicated. i should be able to handle it but thanks for offering

It would be handy if it was "lockable" too, so you can't drag it around the desktop unless you unlock it first :) Is there any way, if you can do the desktop thingy, that you could hide the sys tray icon too and have it start with windows?

• Advertisement

Sam, just noticed you said you have a K800i, I'll be getting one in the next few days (got a €50 off code for o2.ie and have ordered one for €99 with €100 free credit :)) What is the best way to get all sim contacts to the program phonebook could you tell me please?

It would be handy if it was "lockable" too, so you can't drag it around the desktop unless you unlock it first :) Is there any way, if you can do the desktop thingy, that you could hide the sys tray icon too and have it start with windows?

making it movable and the systray icon are both things that i had to manually add so i can easily disable them. to make it start with windows you just have to put a shortcut in the startup folder at C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Sam, just noticed you said you have a K800i, I'll be getting one in the next few days (got a €50 off code for o2.ie and have ordered one for €99 with €100 free credit :)) What is the best way to get all sim contacts to the program phonebook could you tell me please?

at the moment there's no easy way but i'm currently writing something that'll allow you to get contacts that have been synched with outlook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nice one on the 'Cancel Scheduled' button!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    now you mention it it doesn't seem that complicated. i should be able to handle it but thanks for offering

Thanks for the feedback. live apn has been working ok for me in general, and with the 99c per day rate is cheaper than the rip off ISP rate. I might just set a different connection for Cabbage Mobile.

As for the dev and testing, I wasn't offering help to make it stick to the desktop I'm sure you can do that. I was talking about making a Cabbage Sidebar Gadget for Vista that would be really cool.

If you are making it stick to the desktop, maybe have that as an optional mode, I bet some people won't like it.

Thanks again for the great app...

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback. live apn has been working ok for me in general, and with the 99c per day rate is cheaper than the rip off ISP rate. I might just set a different connection for Cabbage Mobile.
    can you do that?
    As for the dev and testing, I wasn't offering help to make it stick to the desktop I'm sure you can do that. I was talking about making a Cabbage Sidebar Gadget for Vista that would be really cool.
    having had a very brief look at sidebar gadgets, it seems they have to be written in html/javascript or c++. is that right? that would require a complete rewrite of the program because it's written in visual basic 6.0. or would it?
    If you are making it stick to the desktop, maybe have that as an optional mode, I bet some people won't like it.
    i would absolutely make it an option. one of the people who wouldn't want it is myself
    Thanks again for the great app...
    you're very welcome :)

Never mind found a MAC version :rolleyes:

: )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Just wanted to pipe in, well done Sam.

Cabbage is class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Have been getting the error (-5) all day on 02. Managed to send 2 texts after adding the 02 account details, but nothing since. Been using the program for last 2 weeks on Meteor with no problems. As Sam posted a couple of pages back, it could be just a website traffic problem, but is there anything I could have done wrong ?

Excellent program by the way. Great work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Duiske wrote: »
    Have been getting the error (-5) all day on 02. Managed to send 2 texts after adding the 02 account details, but nothing since. Been using the program for last 2 weeks on Meteor with no problems. As Sam posted a couple of pages back, it could be just a website traffic problem, but is there anything I could have done wrong ?

If it's working fine one minute and not the next (and you have no internet problems and haven't changed anything) then it's probably because of http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055264946

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

hey!

I don't see too much feedback coming back on the mobile java versions you did up - I've been using it on my mobile for a while now and it's working great!

It's a w580i. Became ten times handier when i realised i could look up the numbers from my phonebook! :)

I'm on meteor and messages are costing me 2c. If you need more mobile testing let me know! Always up for trying new apps on the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Just had a look at your site... would you be interesed in getting a new website design done up? I should have some time tomorrow, could have a shot at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you use the ISP access point then it should only cost you 1c. You can get the settings here: http://www.powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php#meteorie-web

You'll know you're using ISP if it shows up on the Meteor website as:
    Call Date Call Time Call Duration Network Destination Number Total Charge
    10 Apr 08 20:07 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01

Does the Java texter work on the k800i? I tried it on my old K610im and it wouldn't work :(

Is it advisable only to use in IRE as if you roam data can cost a fortune?

Does the Java texter work on the k800i? I tried it on my old K610im and it wouldn't work :(

it won't work on the k610im because that's an imode phone which uses a different form of java. it works fine on a k800i.

Is it advisable only to use in IRE as if you roam data can cost a fortune?

abroad is the best place to use it. roaming data is expensive but so are roaming texts. it costs maybe 3c or 4c to send one abroad but for example a meteor text abroad costs 39c
    chat2joe wrote: »
    hey!

I don't see too much feedback coming back on the mobile java versions you did up - I've been using it on my mobile for a while now and it's working great!

It's a w580i. Became ten times handier when i realised i could look up the numbers from my phonebook! :)

I'm on meteor and messages are costing me 2c. If you need more mobile testing let me know! Always up for trying new apps on the phone!
    if you've been using it for a while you should get the new version from the website that i put up last week. it's got some bugs fixed including a really serious one that could have ended up sending the wrong text to the wrong person.
    chat2joe wrote: »
    Just had a look at your site... would you be interesed in getting a new website design done up? I should have some time tomorrow, could have a shot at it!

i'm grand for a website but thanks for the offer. the website was never intended to be all snazzy and modern. it's just somewhere to host the files and give some information. and my friend that made it would get very offended :)
    as random says, its just the o2 website being crap. if you want better reliability with o2 you should sign up to voipcheap but then your texts wouldn't always be free. they have "free days" or something like that but texts generally cost 3c
    quad_red wrote: »
    Just wanted to pipe in, well done Sam.

Cabbage is class :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are you alright for sms servers? Mine hosting is lying idle most of the time, perhaps it could be of use?

That's cool, thanks a mill for making this :)

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Are you alright for sms servers? Mine hosting is lying idle most of the time, perhaps it could be of use?

no reason why not. you can get the scripts and a short file with some instructions here:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/server_side_source.zip

post back if you have any problems

Sam, I have 1.75 and when I click "Check for update" it says I have the latest version, so I'm guessing I don't need to worry about it sending the text to the wrong number:eek:

Sam, I have 1.75 and when I click "Check for update" it says I have the latest version, so I'm guessing I don't need to worry about it sending the text to the wrong number:eek:

no the bug was with the phone based version of the program, not the desktop one. 1.1 is the latest mobile version

Ah cool, haven't got that yet so I'll be getting the latest one when I do, thanks :)

Just had a go of cabbage on my k800i, very cool :) I've sent 4 messages and my balance hasn't changed, what's up with that, is that normal? I thought it was 1c a pop but yet I haven't lost 1c yet?

Also, I tried text an international number that had a +44 code in front of it, but it never sent, when I put 00 in front of the 44 it did though. Is there any way around this because the + is supposed to act as the 00 I thought? As in, + could mean either 00 or 01 etc depending on country?

Just another thing, is there any way to switch off the auto finder thing on the pc program? Just I have a lot of contacts and when I put in a number, it searches through my contacts each digit I think and takes ages to put the number in:o

Just had a go of cabbage on my k800i, very cool :) I've sent 4 messages and my balance hasn't changed, what's up with that, is that normal? I thought it was 1c a pop but yet I haven't lost 1c yet?

Also, I tried text an international number that had a +44 code in front of it, but it never sent, when I put 00 in front of the 44 it did though. Is there any way around this because the + is supposed to act as the 00 I thought? As in, + could mean either 00 or 01 etc depending on country?

if you're on o2 then that cost is normal. your balance should drop every 6-8 messages.

with o2 webtexts, you have to send it in the format: 44xxxxxxx, ie no + and no 00. i thought i'd set the code to account for that but apparently not. i don't have a foreign number to check so could you do me a favour and check something for me?

take this address:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php?u=08xxxxxxxx&p=xxxx&s=o&d=xxxxxxxx&m=hello

fill in your details (u=phone number, p=password, d=the english number) and then put it in the address bar and go to it. a message should appear on the english phone saying hello.

what i want you to check is which format works, ie +44, 0044 and/or just 44

thanks
    Just another thing, is there any way to switch off the auto finder thing on the pc program? Just I have a lot of contacts and when I put in a number, it searches through my contacts each digit I think and takes ages to put the number in:o

not at the moment i'm afraid. i'll get that fixed

• Advertisement

Hey,
    I should be able to check that later on when the person with the 44 number is finished work and on msn.

But from the cabbage program on my k800i, it definitely didn't work when I had +44, and when I did have +44, it would take away the plus when I clicked to send, so it looked like it was sending to just 44, but this still didn't send and the only one I sent was when it was using 0044 :confused:

So with o2, 6-8 texts for a cent? Brilliant!! haha.

Do you know of any international program like cabbage that can be used with networks in the UK for example, so the person with the 44 number can text me for less than a cent from there? :)

Advertisement