Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I've finished the new version. the main difference is the phone book. in the old version, you could have a phone book for each user but every user could edit every other user's phone book.

now, you can still have separate phone books but there's no interaction between them, ie each user can only edit their own phone book. There's also an option to use one phone book for every user.

when you first run the new version, you'll be asked if you want separate phone books.
    if you do, you're given the option to import from the old shared book to the current user's. if you don't, you're given the option to import from all phone books into the shared one.
    you can import them later on if you don't want to do it then. post up here if you don't know what to do.

the only other thing that an end user would notice is that it remembers its last position now, instead of always starting in the centre of the screen.

but under the hood its very different. it was becoming more and more difficult to add features because the whole thing was a mess so i did a complete rewrite.
    i've done as much testing as i can think of but i'm releasing this as a beta for a few days so people can report any bugs they find. i won't be updating the site so to download it go here:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/dl2.php

i recommend that anyone who downloads it should copy the cabbage folder (c:\program files\cabbage by default) somewhere else before installing in case it erases stuff it shouldn't

@alanmurphy83, i haven't put in the delay thing yet. i'm looking into a way of doing it all server side so the computer wouldn't have to be left on but i haven't figured it out yet

i just realised the groups aren't working. will get on it now

they should be working now. the new one is at the same location

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/dl2.php

I've found all the bugs i can and have tested it thoroughly. I've uploaded the new version with (hopefully :)) all the bugs ironed out.

as always, let me know of any problems you find and take a look at the "small interface" feature

i'm still working on o2 international texting and delaying texts

btw, o2 web texts aren't sending at the moment so its not my fault :)

• Advertisement

one person has downloaded it since i posted the update. please download it again. found a small bug you'd probably never notice :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

I downloaded the latest version (wasn't me who downloaded before you found that bug) and is strange, when I Open it or click on on "More" I get a warning pop-up twice the text in it is just a path to a local local file "C:\program files\Cabbage\cabbage\book087xxx" so click on "OK" when I 'm in "Manage Phonebook" or "manage Logins" and click on "back" I get the same message 4 times.

When I install it it asked me if I wanted to have separate phonebooks I click on Yes, also asked me couple of other questions but can't remember what I clicked on them.

I did a reinstall over the existing version but get same warning pop-ups.

Also can you include in the web page or part of the software the application you created a while back to import contacts from Vodafone webtext.

Regards

nava wrote: »
    Hi

I downloaded the latest version (wasn't me who downloaded before you found that bug) and is strange, when I Open it or click on on "More" I get a warning pop-up twice the text in it is just a path to a local local file "C:\program files\Cabbage\cabbage\book087xxx" so click on "OK" when I 'm in "Manage Phonebook" or "manage Logins" and click on "back" I get the same message 4 times.
    yeah i put that in for testing when fixing the small bug and forgot to take it out. the bug was related to the phone book which is why the path to the phone book keeps popping up. its fixed now so dl again please.
    When I install it it asked me if I wanted to have separate phonebooks I click on Yes, also asked me couple of other questions but can't remember what I clicked on them.
    the next question allowed you to either import from the user books to the generic one or the generic one to the user book depending on whether you wanted separate phone books or not

and it might have asked you if you want to remember passwords and if you want to store the history, depending on hoe you had it configured previously

Also can you include in the web page or part of the software the application you created a while back to import contacts from Vodafone webtext.

Regards
    i;d forgotten all about that. i've changed the format of the files a bit so i'll have to update that program. i'll have it done tomorrow hopefully

yeah i put that in for testing when fixing the small bug and forgot to take it out. the bug was related to the phone book which is why the path to the phone book keeps popping up. its fixed now so dl again please.

Thanks yes working again.
    the next question allowed you to either import from the user books to the generic one or the generic one to the user book depending on whether you wanted separate phone books or not

and it might have asked you if you want to remember passwords and if you want to store the history, depending on hoe you had it configured previously

I mention that because I thought I might have clicked on something that cause the problem above.
    i;d forgotten all about that. i've changed the format of the files a bit so i'll have to update that program. i'll have it done tomorrow hopefully

Ok thanks, thought it will be handy to have it for other users.

Thanks yes working again.

I mention that because I thought I might have clicked on something that cause the problem above.

Ok thanks, thought it will be handy to have it for other users.

actually, now i think of it, it'll work right now but it'll take a bit of effort. dl it
    from here:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/import.exe

put it anywhere except the main cabbage foler and open it. a dialog box will open asking for a login. enter the one you want to import from and press back.

press the "import from vodafone" button and in a few seconds you'll see a file in the newly created cabbage folder next to import.exe called bookLOGIN, eg book0871234567. go to the main cabbage program and import that file.

basically the changes i'm going to have to make it so people don't have to do the extra bits :)

• Advertisement

this only applies to people who downloaded the briefly available versions 1.68 and 1.69

if you downloaded those versions and you now have 1.70 and you click check for update, it'll tell you there's one available but its wrong.

if you want to fix it you can go into the cabbage folder in the main program directory and in the file "vars.txt", you'll see that the line still says version=1.68 or version=1.69.
    if you change it to 1.70 it'll fix it.

alternatively, just ignore it and don't press the button :) it'll be fixed later this evening and you can download the new one if you want but that'll be the only change

unless of course someone reports another bug. if so, i'll put out 1.71

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

The problem fixed itself,the only change i did was deleting firefox cookies :S

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

any chance of increasing the linger time to more then 60 sec in the next release as its not allowing anything over a 60 value at present...no rush :)

Also like the easter egg :D lol

ronano wrote: »
    The problem fixed itself,the only change i did was deleting firefox cookies :S

the o2 website wasn't working last night but its back now.

are both irish and english numbers working now?
    Cabaal wrote: »
    any chance of increasing the linger time to more then 60 sec in the next release as its not allowing anything over a 60 value at present...no rush :)

the reason its 60 is thats the max visual basic timers can be set to. it'll take a tiny bit of configuration to make it longer but i'll stick it in, cos its you :D
    i don't know what you mean....

i've fixed the importing program now. as before, put it in the main cabbage folder, c:\program file\cabbage by default, open it, select the login and click "import from vodafone". you can get it here:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/import.exe

if you've downloaded it recently, make sure you're not getting a cached version. the last modified time should be 30/01/08 22:47

i don't know what you mean....

I also like easter egg's ;), they should have them all year round.

I now like Cabbage even more than before. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

does wm5 support java midp2?

Will it work on E65 then?

coghlac3 wrote: »
    Will it work on E65 then?

no, i asked that question so i could point him to aft. Cabbage is written in visual basic

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

Just found your app, very cool and thanks a lot! I'm still on dialup at home & this'll actually make the free txts possible without agonising wait times :)

I'd would love the delayed text feature too, but even bigger atm: any chance you could include an option for it could follow LAN settings in Internet Options, for those behind a network proxy?

Just found your app, very cool and thanks a lot! I'm still on dialup at home & this'll actually make the free txts possible without agonising wait times :)

I'd would love the delayed text feature too, but even bigger atm: any chance you could include an option for it could follow LAN settings in Internet Options, for those behind a network proxy?

visual basic automatically does that as far as i know. i'm posting from behind a proxy and the only problem people have reported about proxies is messages sending twice. i'll look into it though. you might have a different type

i'm still working on the delayed texts

• Advertisement

Thanks for responding - hm, maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing then. The message I'm getting is "Error (-2) Could not connect to network site." I've tried setting LAN settings to 'Automatically Detect' & 'Bypass for local Connections' but no joy...

I'm behind a corporate LAN & they block FTP connections so maybe it's something to do with the type of connection? I'm clueless on vb...

Thanks for responding - hm, maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing then. The message I'm getting is "Error (-2) Could not connect to network site." I've tried setting LAN settings to 'Automatically Detect' & 'Bypass for local Connections' but no joy...

I'm behind a corporate LAN & they block FTP connections so maybe it's something to do with the type of connection? I'm clueless on vb...

the network site itself might not be working. try ticking "use server" in more->manage servers. if you still get a -2 error that means its reaching my server. let me know what happens

use the server http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

the network site itself might not be working. try ticking "use server" in more->manage servers. if you still get a -2 error that means its reaching my server. let me know what happens

I'm using version 1.70 and I'm getting the error message 'Error [-5]'

Not sure why the server isn't working?

juvenal wrote: »
    I'm using version 1.70 and I'm getting the error message 'Error [-5]'

Not sure why the server isn't working?

what network are you on?

i've just tested it out there and it worked for all networks so the server is working fine.

did you have use server selected in more->manage servers?

is your firewall blocking it maybe? look for cabbage.exe and send.exe in your blocked programs in your firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

what network are you on?

i've just tested it out there and it worked for all networks so the server is working fine.

did you have use server selected in more->manage servers?

is your firewall blocking it maybe? look for cabbage.exe and send.exe in your blocked programs in your firewall

Hi,

Yeah I have the server selected, it's "cabaal.org . . . ."

I've checked the firewall and it seems to be fine; I think this has happened since I updated. I've also added the cabbage and send programs on the list of exceptions to make sure.

I'm still getting the error, no idea why?

Edit: I just changed the server to 'mamak' and it's good now. Cheers. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

hi, am i just missing something or is there nowhere to input a phone number without saving them into contacts?

juvenal wrote: »
    Hi,

Yeah I have the server selected, it's "cabaal.org . . . ."

I've checked the firewall and it seems to be fine; I think this has happened since I updated. I've also added the cabbage and send programs on the list of exceptions to make sure.

I'm still getting the error, no idea why?

Edit: I just changed the server to 'mamak' and it's good now. Cheers. .
    good to hear :)

is the cabaal server still not working? is it definitely:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php

its working fine for me
    hi, am i just missing something or is there nowhere to input a phone number without saving them into contacts?

you're missing something :)

you can enter a number just under the login selection on the main page.

if you have the full interface selected (more->full interface/small interface), it has the word "To:" above it

and if you have names in the phone book, you can type them in there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

sorry posted in the wrong place, that post was mean't for the jsms thread!

sorry posted in the wrong place, that post was mean't for the jsms thread!

ah i see. i was a bit confused because i thought it was very obvious where it was :)

i think you're right about jsms

• Advertisement

Only got around to trying this now - it's working a treat! Just curious: I checked out your site and I got the impression that I can use this script on my own server? Does that mean I can just download the server-side scripts and point it to my own instead of the ones already set up?

Advertisement