Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Only got around to trying this now - it's working a treat! Just curious: I checked out your site and I got the impression that I can use this script on my own server? Does that mean I can just download the server-side scripts and point it to my own instead of the ones already set up?

you can indeed. It might take a bit of changing depending on how your site is set up. If you have any problems give me a shout

its only actually necessary to have a server for o2 logins. For meteor and vodafone the program itself can send it so the intermediate server is unnecessary. To set it to operate client side click more->manage servers and untick use server. That has no affect for o2 logins of course

I've just finished a new version. I'm calling it a beta at the moment because there's lots of new code and its probably full of bugs. If you want to download it, i'd advise you copy the old cabbage folder (by default c:\program files\cabbage) to another location in case of data loss because of some unknown bug

new in this release:
    • I finally got o2 working client side. Its not working right now because the o2 site's down again but it should be fine when its back. It'll probably be a bit slower than using the server to send messages so its more for a backup in case the server ever goes down. And foreign texts should work with it.
    • Passwords are encrypted in the logins file
    • Mesages can be scheduled to be sent at a later date at alanmurphy83's request. you don't have to leave the computer on. its all handled server side. you can get a confirmation message sent to your phone when the message is sent. Its not a delivery report in that getting the confirmation doesn't guarantee the message was received. it just means the message was submitted to the network server
    • The linger time for the response message can be set greater than 60 seconds at cabaal's request
    • The popup message in the system tray when a message is sent is optional
    • Fixed a bug where the program crashed if it was closed by right-clicking on the system tray icon when the program was minimised. thanks to kaimera for pointing it out :)
    • The user can press enter on forms instead of the "Save" or "OK" button
    • Fixed a bug where the focus did not stay in the "To" text box when using the small interface

if someone wants to make their own interface to it it shouldn't be too hard since i changed the exe that sends the message. its the one called send.exe in the folder c:\program files\cabbage\cabbage. you can call it from the command line like this:

send.exe 0871234567 password v 0867654321 "your message"

so just put the user name, password, network code (m,v,o), destination number and message and it'll send. if your password or the message has spaces you have to put it in quotes as above. it can only send one message at a time (160 characters) so you have to split your message and call it multiple times if you're sending a longer message

it creates a file called "result" when its finished that contains either the number of messages left or an error code

also, scheduled messages might not be sent at the exact requested time. i've a script running every 15 minutes that sends them so it could arrive up to 15 minutes later than requested.

it be better to put in 17:55 than 18:00 for example. if you put in 18:00 the script might be called just before that time and not send it until the next loop.

found two bugs

1. invalid procedure call and the program crashes when sending.

2. if your time is set to 12 hour it'll appear in the schedule input box like tat but it has to be in 24 hour format. the new one is available

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

found two bugs

1. invalid procedure call and the program crashes when sending.

2. if your time is set to 12 hour it'll appear in the schedule input box like tat but it has to be in 24 hour format. the new one is available

Hi

Downloaded and Installed the newest version, when I run it I got a warning message that a new version was available I have 1.72 Beta

When I click on "Get Message Left" I get -5 (Vodafone)

So far the rest looks ok.

Just thought of something else but not sure if you can do it, with Vodafone we have the send messages from the Web (All @ Once) I send messages that way to send to International numbers and get charge in the bill for them. Will there be a way to have similar feature in Cabbage?

Thanks again for all your work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

hi there

when i run the new beta version i get runtime error no 9

subscript out of range

i'm running vista

Cheers Mike

nava wrote: »
    Hi

Downloaded and Installed the newest version, when I run it I got a warning message that a new version was available I have 1.72 Beta

When I click on "Get Message Left" I get -5 (Vodafone)

So far the rest looks ok.
    i'm getting the same. as a temporary fix, if you tick use server it should work. i'll get working on the client side one now.
    Just thought of something else but not sure if you can do it, with Vodafone we have the send messages from the Web (All @ Once) I send messages that way to send to International numbers and get charge in the bill for them. Will there be a way to have similar feature in Cabbage?

Thanks again for all your work.
    i didn't know that existed until just now :)

i'll look into it
    paconnors wrote: »
    hi there

subscript out of range

i'm running vista

Cheers Mike

do you get the error as soon as you run the program or when do you get it? did you have an old version or was it a fresh install?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

hi there

subscript out of range

i'm running vista

Cheers Mike

Hi

I think if you right click on the icon and select "Run as Admin" might work. I have a second machine with Vista and Cabbage, getting similar error but got fixed after selecting that.

Hi

I think if you right click on the icon and select "Run as Admin" might work. I have a second machine with Vista and Cabbage, getting similar error but got fixed after selecting that.

I hate vista. give that a shot paconnors and let me know what happens. i have no idea why you might have to run it as an admin though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

I hate vista. give that a shot paconnors and let me know what happens. i have no idea why you might have to run it as an admin though

I done that and it still happens, also had old cabbage and renamed it and installed beta version then

Cheers Mike

• Advertisement

I done that and it still happens, also had old cabbage and renamed it and installed beta version then

Cheers Mike

i just had an epiphany. you say you renamed the old one. name it back to cabbage and then copy it, leaving the old folder there and a backup. i just tried to install it in a different folder and i got the same error so its looking for a file that's not there and so an array that should be full is empty, hence subscript out of range. of course it shouldn't do that and i'll have it fixed in a day or two but it'll get you going

i just had an epiphany. you say you renamed the old one. name it back to cabbage and then copy it, leaving the old folder there and a backup. i just tried to install it in a different folder and i got the same error so its looking for a file that's not there and so an array that should be full is empty, hence subscript out of range. of course it shouldn't do that and i'll have it fixed in a day or two but it'll get you going

i've fixed that bug now if anyone wants to download the new one (1.73). the only change is to fix that bug and if you already had the program installed and copied the folder rather than renaming it you won't have a problem

is anyone having problems with the cabaal.org server? someone left me some feedabck saying they keep getting a -5 error when they use it but its working fine for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I get a Error: (-13) Timeout accessing network site.

do you get that error every time? i just tried every network both using the server and not using it and they all worked. a -13 error every now and then is normal when not using the server. you just have to wait until it times out so you can try again. in the next version i'm going to reduce the timeout delay

did you try out the text scheduler and does it work for you?

do you get that error every time? i just tried every network both using the server and not using it and they all worked. a -13 error every now and then is normal when not using the server. you just have to wait until it times out so you can try again. in the next version i'm going to reduce the timeout delay

did you try out the text scheduler and does it work for you?

I haven't tied the text scheduler yet but I will. Is it better to use the server or not too?

I haven't tied the text scheduler yet but I will. Is it better to use the server or not too?

the server will probably be a bit faster because php is better at this stuff than visual basic but it might not always be available for whatever reason.

so it probably is better to use the server normally and disable it if the server's not working

btw, the scheduler only sends every 15 minutes so for example a text set for 16:05 will arrive at 16:15

the server will probably be a bit faster because php is better at this stuff than visual basic but it might not always be available for whatever reason.

so it probably is better to use the server normally and disable it if the server's not working

btw, the scheduler only sends every 15 minutes so for example a text set for 16:05 will arrive at 16:15

Ah right I just tried it there and was wondering about the delay. Thats some good work.

hey Commander Vines- brilliant app - why don't you set-up one of those discrete paypal donation things on your page. we all know that Irish people are scabby but you'd get a euro from me anyways.

suggestion for new feature - if hasn't been said before... when messages are longer than 160 chars - why not send the last bit first so it will read in order on the recipient phone as the messages are going to arrrive pretty much simultaneously anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

wow, very smart application, koodos Commander Vines.

tiny suggestion; on the small interface it only has a button to close, the minimise to tray would be nice.
    Also have the schedule popup appear on top... modal? Love the idea of schedule

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    hey Commander Vines- brilliant app - why don't you set-up one of those discrete paypal donation things on your page. we all know that Irish people are scabby but you'd get a euro from me anyways.
    its been suggested before but i'd feel a bit guilty tbh :D
    i might get around to it one of these days

glasso wrote: »
    suggestion for new feature - if hasn't been said before... when messages are longer than 160 chars - why not send the last bit first so it will read in order on the recipient phone as the messages are going to arrrive pretty much simultaneously anyways...
    now that's an idea. and i could make it an option for those who want it the other way

Sniipe wrote: »
    wow, very smart application, koodos Commander Vines.

tiny suggestion; on the small interface it only has a button to close, the minimise to tray would be nice.
    i suppose i didn't make this clear anywhere. if you press Esc it'll minimise :)
    Sniipe wrote: »
    Also have the schedule popup appear on top... modal? Love the idea of schedule
    i don't know what you mean? is the input box for the time and date not appearing on top of the main form?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    its been suggested before but i'd feel a bit guilty tbh :D i might get around to it one of these days

I don't see how, its a fine program and if somebody wants to give you money then happy days :)

Might be an idea to add the donate link to your site and the program...perhaps in an about box within cabbage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Its a very nice program, pity I moved to 3 :(

i've been neglecting cabbage a bit the past few days because i've been making a j2me version of it. if anyone wants to try it out they can download it from:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage.jar
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage.jad

to download it directly to your phone, point your browser to the .jar link. The features of it are:
    • Sends webtexts obviously
    • up to 5 logins
    • up to 5 standard 160 character text messages at a time (800 characters)
    • its own phone book
    • some phones can add contacts from its phone book
    • stores the last ten messages sent
    • stores the last ten destination numbers
    • you can change the server it uses to your own. i can supply you with the server side code if you want to upload it

it costs about 2c to send a message on meteor. probably the same on vodafone and less on o2.

it's been tested on:
    1. a Vodafone Nokia E65
    2. an O2 SE K800i
    3. an O2 Nokia 6230i

with the following internet settings:
    1. meteor WAP and ISP APNs (i finally got the ISP APN working on an SE phone)
    2. vodafone Live and ISP
    3. O2 GPRS WAP
    4. 3 web

getting it working on the 6230i was a bit awkward so if anyone has problems i can walk them through the settings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i've been neglecting cabbage a bit the past few days because i've been making a j2me version of it.

ah pity my i-mode phone doesn't do with j2me.

Marty

mart_max wrote: »
    ah pity my i-mode phone doesn't do with j2me.

Marty

its good that imode is being gradually retired because o2 realised its a flop. when i was working in a phone shop we had 2 imode phones in stock the entire time i worked there. they had about an inch of dust on them when i left :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

Just tried this out now, and it is so brilliant. So handy. No need to wait to log on to meteor anymore, and u dont have to send really short texts anymore.

Fair play.. U should defo have a paypal donate box on this, I'd donate, it is one cool app..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

i cant get the schedule to work for 02,am i missing something or can it work on o2? im all for the paypal donation thing if onyl to keep you in coke,crisps and shaving foam while doing your business (viva jurassic park!)

ronano wrote: »
    i cant get the schedule to work for 02,am i missing something or can it work on o2? im all for the paypal donation thing if onyl to keep you in coke,crisps and shaving foam while doing your business (viva jurassic park!)

lol :D

the scheduler worked fine for o2 logins. i just sent one myself to make sure it was still working. the format has to be put in exactly right. did you put it in the format DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS (24 hour format)

and you know that the server only sends messages every 15 minutes so everything set to send between 13:45 and 14:00 will all send at 14:00?

there are currently three messages waiting to be sent on the server but they're not due to be sent until tomorrow, 57 days from now and 86 days from now respectively so someone did something wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Hey Sam/Commander,

Great program you've saved me an absoulte fortune seeing as that O2 website is so unrealible, I would definitely contribute to a paypal account.

Also I know I wouldnt use it (except in extreme emergencies!) but a suggestion to add to your compress feature could be that instead of taking away all the spaces you could have a set amount of words that change to txt spk. Like if someone hits Compress all the to and too instances could be changed to 2, all the you instances to u, and instances to + etc. As I say though im not too sure how many people would want this as the app already lets us write long texts anyway!

Advertisement