Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Can this be used on your mobile similar to AFT?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Caliden wrote: »
    Can this be used on your mobile similar to AFT?

nope. i'm working on one but i don't know java and i don't really have time to learn so its a slow process

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

New version working fine for me on Meteor :)

we need a java version like JSMS so we can run it on linux and osx ,

Cabaal wrote: »
    New version working fine for me on Meteor :)

we need a java version like JSMS so we can run it on linux and osx ,
    the problem with that is i don't know any java whatsoever. I'm going to be posting the code very soon so anyone is free to try to translate it. And i started learning java a few days ago so i might be able to do it myself soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Brilliant little tool!
    Latest version works fine on O2.

Little idea: set the "Escape" key to minimize/hide the window (helpful after sending a message - I'm a keyboard masochist...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misho

I'm a keyboard masochist myself also. Using "Alt+space bar" and then "N" key for all windows works just fine for me.

matthiku wrote: »
    Brilliant little tool!
    Latest version works fine on O2.

Little idea: set the "Escape" key to minimize/hide the window (helpful after sending a message - I'm a keyboard masochist...)

i've added that to the new version but i won't be uploading it til tonight or maybe tomorrow because i'm doing some other stuff with it

got it done sooner than i thought. You can get the new version at:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/download.php

i've uploaded this one to geocities but this will be the last version that'll be available from there. all newer ones will be uploaded to cabaal.org only.

again, let me know about any bugs :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

got it done sooner than i thought. You can get the new version at:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/download.php

i've uploaded this one to geocities but this will be the last version that'll be available from there. all newer ones will be uploaded to cabaal.org only.

again, let me know about any bugs :)

Why not use a index file so it gives you a nicer URL of
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/
    :)

[EDIT] Neveremind I see you also have a index file :)

Since the front of my website has had nothing other then a google search box on it for the past 6 months I thought I'd also stick a l;ink to cabbage their, I'll maker a better front page when I get some time.

Should make it easy for people to front cabbage :)

The site looks good :)

Why not use a index file so it gives you a nicer URL of
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/
    :)

i have an index file. http://cabaal.org/cabbage/ also works. the link i gave brings you directly to the download page :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

thanks again for a great tool.

Couple of suggestions,

Now you have the new feature to Minimize to task bar while sending, when it finishes sending it maximizes again, thought it will be better if it will show a balloon pop-up after done in the task bar, if it can be done.

Also on the sending, in my case after I send a text I get a reply and send again to the same number, so I thought if after sending the name and number remains in the "to" so no need to typing again.

Thanks

nava wrote: »
    Now you have the new feature to Minimize to task bar while sending, when it finishes sending it maximizes again, thought it will be better if it will show a balloon pop-up after done in the task bar, if it can be done.
    that is both possible and a good idea. it'll be in the next release
    Also on the sending, in my case after I send a text I get a reply and send again to the same number, so I thought if after sending the name and number remains in the "to" so no need to typing again.

Thanks
    now that i'm not so sure of. you send to the same person the whole time but that doesn't mean everyone does and i think that leaving it there would annoy more people than taking it out. maybe i could leave the number there but highlighted so people who want to leave it can tab to the message box and people who want to change it can just start typing. hmmmmmm...

i have an index file. http://cabaal.org/cabbage/ also works. the link i gave brings you directly to the download page :)

Yeah saw that,

Since the front of my website has had nothing other then a google search box on it for the past 6 months I thought I'd also stick a l;ink to cabbage their, I'll maker a better front page when I get some time.

Should make it easy for people to find cabbage,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Working well on Vodafone here. Just a comment - running version 1.61, but it wants to pull down an update despite the fact that the update is the same version...!
    Maybe you could place the version number in the filename of the zip file also? It would just make it somewhat easier to work out whether there actually is an update or not!

Here's a suggestion for cabbage website,

Few people I work with have restricted PC's so they can't install applications, as such they can't use cabbage,

Can you make a available a zip file with the cabbage exe and required files so that people on restricted PC's that can't install programs can use it?

Maybe just add it to the download page as a alt option?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Working well on Vodafone here. Just a comment - running version 1.61, but it wants to pull down an update despite the fact that the update is the same version...!
    Maybe you could place the version number in the filename of the zip file also? It would just make it somewhat easier to work out whether there actually is an update or not!

the newest version is 1.62. whats happening is cabbage is checking for a new version, realising its 1.62 and then sending you to the link but your browser is downloading a cached version. if you clear your cache you should get the new version, or go to http://cabaal.org/cabbage/

i'm putting in version numbers now

Here's a suggestion for cabbage website,

Few people I work with have restricted PC's so they can't install applications, as such they can't use cabbage,

Can you make a available a zip file with the cabbage exe and required files so that people on restricted PC's that can't install programs can use it?

Maybe just add it to the download page as a alt option?

i completely forgot about that. and after specifically not making an installer before to prevent this problem. i'll do that now

i completely forgot about that. and after specifically not making an installer before to prevent this problem. i'll do that now
    done

i'm putting in version numbers now

done

the cabbage zip file is nackered, might want to upload it again :)
    Its only 85KB and is not a valid zip file

• Advertisement

the cabbage zip file is nackered, might want to upload it again :)
    Its only 85KB and is not a valid zip file

uploaded it again there and its downloading fine for me.

uploaded it again there and its downloading fine for me.

hmm weird, its working but not showing as a valid zip file when I go to open it with 7zip

Guess its just this PC :)

I've just converted about 5 more people to this program in the last few min :D

Just thinking might be no harm in PM'ing a mod to get them to edit the URL you have your your first post so it no longer points to an old version, otherwise you might get people bitching that it doesn't work correctly cause their using a old version :)

hmm weird, its working but not showing as a valid zip file when I go to open it with 7zip

Guess its just this PC :)
    odd.
    I've just converted about 5 more people to this program in the last few min :D
    good to hear :)
    Just thinking might be no harm in PM'ing a mod to get them to edit the URL you have your your first post so it no longer points to an old version, otherwise you might get people bitching that it doesn't work correctly cause their using a old version :)
    now thats a good idea. will do

the source code is on the site now for anyone who wants it

New version just uploaded. found a bug and put in that thing requested by nava

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

wuhoo! i like the new version - the interface blends well with Vista.

great job Mr. Vimes! thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

New version just uploaded. found a bug and put in that thing requested by nava

Hi

thanks for that :D.

Another comment from me, when you get the warning that a new version is available the notifier stays open what about it at that point the older version closes when we click in "Ok or Yes" to download upgrade or while installing the older version is forced to close.

Also what about a version history on the web page so we know what was done and maybe a link to this Thread in the FAQ.

Thanks

Hi

thanks for that :D.

Another comment from me, when you get the warning that a new version is available the notifier stays open what about it at that point the older version closes when we click in "Ok or Yes" to download upgrade or while installing the older version is forced to close.

Also what about a version history on the web page so we know what was done and maybe a link to this Thread in the FAQ.

Thanks
    i don't think people would want the program to close when you go to download an update tbh. They might have half a text written when they click the button for example. People know you can't update a program while its running so i'd rather give them the option of shutting it down and installing the new version when they want rather than forcing them to close the program. I don't know if the installer program i'm using has an option to shut down old versions. I'll take a look

i'm doing up a version history at the moment. Just trying to remember what i did :)
    i meant to put a link to the thread in the faq. Thanks for reminding me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Is it possible in the phonebook to setup preset groups?

Say for example I have 30 numbers in my contacts and 14 of them are Boards members and I want to send a text to all Boardsies, at the moment I select group and put 14 ticks beside the names and then click on send. The other way, you just select the group "Boards" and hit send and it sends to the 14 members who are in that group

whisht wrote: »
    Is it possible in the phonebook to setup preset groups?

Say for example I have 30 numbers in my contacts and 14 of them are Boards members and I want to send a text to all Boardsies, at the moment I select group and put 14 ticks beside the names and then click on send. The other way, you just select the group "Boards" and hit send and it sends to the 14 members who are in that group

yeah sure. i'll add that in tomorrow.

or the source code is on the site now so if you wanted you could add it yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Great.
    Regarding the source code, thanks but wouldnt have the first idea where to start!! :)

Advertisement