Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Girls, what did you pack in your labour bag?? Not hospital bag but labour bag...

I have...
    *Baby gro
    *Baby vest
    *Scratch Mittens
    *Two nightdresses
    *A pair of pj's for when I have the baby
    *Shower/Bath stuff, shampoo, conditioner
    *A nappy
    *Blanket
    *Knickers
    *Maternity Pads
    *A hand towel and a bath towel

Any thing I'm forgetting??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Girls, what did you pack in your labour bag?? Not hospital bag but labour bag...

I have...
    *Baby gro
    *Baby vest
    *Scratch Mittens
    *Two nightdresses
    *A pair of pj's for when I have the baby
    *Shower/Bath stuff, shampoo, conditioner
    *A nappy
    *Blanket
    *Knickers
    *Maternity Pads
    *A hand towel and a bath towel

Any thing I'm forgetting??

dont forget a camera, your hospital notes, slippers dressing gown, sponge, if you want your partner to sponge your head during labour and if required oils for back massage...

Not long now!!!

Oh hospital notes... hospital keep those cos I'm public ;).

I have slippers, dressing gown... have a disposable camera somewhere that I'll need to put in the bag... sponge is another good one, but he won't touch a sponge cos he's afraid of them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Adrieanne,

Just a suggestion - I packed a little lunchbox - you don't know what time you'll deliver at and other than some tea and toast, you might not get to eat for a while after birth. It is important to keep yourself fed and watered, so what I did was I brought a couple of those nutri-grain bars, a couple of bananas and some snack a jacks. I was starving after I delivered - she was born at 4.30 in the afternoon and with all the waiting around, I missed the dinner service on the ward, so having some snacks to munch on (particularly as I was breastfeeding) was very handy.

Oh also - if you end up needing an episiotomy or have a natural tear, you may find that going for a wee after delivery might sting a touch. Best tip I ever got was to have one of those bottles of water (chilled!) with the sports caps - when you are passing urine you can use the water to dilute the urine and minimise stinging on the affected area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

My auntie just had her baby! I've seen him twice for about an hour each time and he sleeps through the whole thing! Awake for a few hours each night and slept through about 10 family having a loud lunch! Madness.

Congrats all! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Quality wrote: »
    I had a beautiful little baby boy on Monday afternoon at 12.22. 7lbs 13&1/2oz. Veery easy labour again. 12 minutes in labour ward!!:D

I have called him Glen!!

Oh my god, your baby is actually the most gorgeous newborn I have ever seen, must be the shock of dark hair, he is seriously lovely! I also imagine him to have a really cheeky personality cos I was following your little baby tracker with it's cheeky comments!

Piste wrote: »
    Oh my god, your baby is actually the most gorgeous newborn I have ever seen, must be the shock of dark hair, he is seriously lovely! I also imagine him to have a really cheeky personality cos I was following your little baby tracker with it's cheeky comments!

I wish ya could personalize the tracker cos they all say the same thing! I read my one every week and thought "that was Quality's a couple of weeks ago"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Thanks Piste. I am mad about him... I dont get much time on line anymore because 3 is definitely a lot more work than two.. Its been a busy month!!!

He is a very cuddly baby loves being held and cuddled. He is feeding every two to three hours at night for me, so I just leave him in the bed with me, cause some sleep is better than none..

Not long to go for you Adrieanne... Try and get as much rest as you can.. You will need your energy.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I shouldnt be saying anything as we just found out (and anything can happen, we are not expecting to be lucky this time) - we are pregnant! We were only trying for a month so it is totally unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I found it impossible to keep it in too and I've 8 weeks left now:D Best of luck, it's magic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I shouldnt be saying anything as we just found out (and anything can happen, we are not expecting to be lucky this time) - we are pregnant! We were only trying for a month so it is totally unexpected!

Congratulations :) Don't worry, we won't tell anyone ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

CathyMoran wrote: »

That is brilliant:)
    Congrats to you both and I hope it is a good pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bam33

Hi Ladies I'm going a little off the subject here but I hope you can offer some advice. Myself & my husband want to try for a baby but I only started a new job 2 months ago. I am in a managerial position and I don't know how my employers would take it if I got pregnant so soon after joining puls their policy is not to pay full salary until I am in the position 2 years which would mean I need to wait until this time next year to even begin trying. Should I just go for it and risk them being annoyed and take the BIG salary drop (I'm sure once I have a child I wont be too worried about the drop in income)????? All advise welcome

Bam33 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies I'm going a little off the subject here but I hope you can offer some advice. Myself & my husband want to try for a baby but I only started a new job 2 months ago. I am in a managerial position and I don't know how my employers would take it if I got pregnant so soon after joining puls their policy is not to pay full salary until I am in the position 2 years which would mean I need to wait until this time next year to even begin trying. Should I just go for it and risk them being annoyed and take the BIG salary drop (I'm sure once I have a child I wont be too worried about the drop in income)????? All advise welcome

Can you discretely check what their policy is regarding maternity leave? I actually started my current job at 5 months pregnant with my last child, as a result I couldn't claim their fully paid maternity leave, hadn't been there the full year. They can't hold the pregnancy against you, but maybe waiting a few months would make things easier on yourself in the long run? And it's when the child arrives that you'll need the extra income!! :) Good luck regardless!

Hello all!!

I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Addison, on Friday night at 8.40pm. She was 6lbs and born by emergency c section.

I was induced on Friday morning and her heartbeat was dropping with every contraction so they decided c section was best option. Done it under general anesthetic as epidural and spinal block didn't work on me!

Feeling sore, but good, couldn't wait to get out of hospital. Nurses and docs/midwives were great really looked after us. I'm glad I have my little girl home!

Won't let me upload a pic right now, but I'll get one asap...

Adrieanne

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Congrats Adrienne:)
    I hope you and Addison are doing well and you recover soon:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Aww, congrats!

Yay, glad she got here before your mother leaves on her travels! Can't wait to see pics! Congratulations!

Congrats Adrienne. So happy to hear you're both okay and home safe. Can't wait to see pic and (when you're up to it) hear all the gory details :)

My new neice/nephew is being born
    Today is def the day they are in the delivery suite!
    They have an outfit picked out and its gently warming and they are waiting to see the baby before they pick a name.
    My brother can't stop giggling on the phone:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mlelsc

Ladies am a mum of 6 kids (identical twins included in that also had a few miscarriages) am willing to help any mum to be with any of her queries as I literally went through everything except a C-Section.
    No scary or frightening talk either....Just common sense and any help with breast feeding also given along with support. Had to retire from work recently due to long term illness and am going crazy here sitting at home.
    always listened to my late Mum for her tips on morning sickness etc and always found them to be brilliant!

Congrats adrieanne, lovely name, can't wait to see pics! Hope you're not too sore.

Congrats on the impending arrival, CSG!

Here she is ladies.

This was taken by daddy five minutes after she was born! Mammy was still out cold on the operating table!!

Aaah god, she's a wee dote adrieanne! Such big eyes!!

Congrats again - your wee wan is making me broody!

pretty pretty pretty :D

Ahh, she's gorgeous, I want one ;)

Ok so, while my little princess is asleep (thank god...) I'll tell you about the birth...

So my waters broke at 6am on Thursday morning and I wasn't sure if they had or not, so my boyfriend checked my pj's and said he thought that's what it was. Rang the hospital and they told me to come in, so packed the bags into the car and off we went. Arrived at the hospital and the midwife hooked me up to the trace and I was having mild contractions, baby was very sleepy (hello, it was 8am in the morning, she was always sleepy round then), so they sent me for something to eat. Went for food and came back to be hooked up to trace again and got an internal. He told me my waters had broken but I was not in labour. He booked me in for the induction and sent me home, told me to come back if pains got stronger.

Pains eased off around 4pm, so the next morning, back to hospital for 8am and hooked up to trace again, baby sleepy again (lazy witch), so was hooked up to trace for nearly 2 hours!! Doctor came around and told me my waters had only broken from the back so she needed to pop the bag... ouch... that was painful! They told me to walk around for a bit to see if anything started happening but nothing did.

So at 12.30pm I was hooked up to an Oxytocin drip and contractions started, weren't too painful, but then they got stronger and got the gas and air. Ladies, you'll think you're a comedian... I was cracking jokes left right and centre and talking complete jibberish according to my boyfriend!

Gas and air stopped working so got the epidural, this is when they noticed that Addie's heart rate was dropping with every contraction I was having, so they were monitoring me a lot closer. Check her oxygen levels (poor thing had sores on her head from this :( ) and said she was happy. An hour later she still wasn't, so they decided an emergency section was best option.

Brought me into the theatre and tried to top up my epidural but it stopped working. Tried a spinal block but that wasn't working either, so had to be put under general anesthetic. Woke up with my beautiful baby girl lying beside me.

I was very sore, couldn't get out of bed for two days. Made it very difficult to look after Addison in hospital but the midwives were great. The third day I was a bit weepy as she was getting sick after every feed, ended up having a bit of a cry in the hospital and the midwives looked after her while I got some sleep.

She's not sleeping at night at the moment, but think that's cos she's sleeping too much during the day.

But she's gorgeous and I love her and would do anything for the little witch lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭spupazza

Congratulations adrieanne__x!
    Which hospital did you go?

Aww,everything went wrong but it was all right in the end:)
    Thank you for sharing the story, it is reassurance for me:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mlelsc

Such a beautiful baby! You must be over the moon. Even after a rotten labour with all the complications I am sure you will have put this all to the back of your mind. May your beautiful Addi bring you much joy and happiness. Don't know if you are breast feeding or not but if you are and are experiencing difficulties feel free to ask as I breastfed mine for up to 15 months in some cases.
    Hope you are getting as much R&R as possible as the first few weeks at home can be hectic!
    Just remember it's you and Dad and family members who set baby's patterns! Babies are very cute and cop on immediately to everything! Hard to believe but true...so establish a routine a.s.a.p.
    Forget housework and concentrate on getting yourself back to normal and don't be liting anything heavy or doing unecessary stretching or bending.
    Love babys name and good luck!
    mlelsc

Advertisement