Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptops Deals Thread [*Updated Daily*]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

This looks like a good-value inspiron? upgraded to 240gb hd, and €140 off. 17'' display.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=N4XXPS01&l=en&oc=N1017216&rbc=N1017216&s=dhs&~ck=expbuy3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'd still go with my suggestion tbh, its only 697 with a 3 year warranty and 15.4" screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'd still go with my suggestion tbh, its only 697 with a 3 year warranty and 15.4" screen.

The reviews (on the official site!) scare me a little, have a look.

I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for value over the next 3 years. €150 over that period is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

To those of you with more knowledge than me,

I have a daughter thats just started in uni, she has decided that she needs a laptop to aid in her study( yeah I know I'm a sucker).

My question is what do I buy and where.

The only thing she said it needs to have is Powerpoint, but I assume she'll want internet , dvd, etc etc you know all the good stuff she has on the pc at home.

Help appreciated,

Fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

To those of you with more knowledge than me,

I have a daughter thats just started in uni, she has decided that she needs a laptop to aid in her study( yeah I know I'm a sucker).

My question is what do I buy and where.

The only thing she said it needs to have is Powerpoint, but I assume she'll want internet , dvd, etc etc you know all the good stuff she has on the pc at home.

Help appreciated,

Fries.

Any entry level laptop would be perfect,something like the below would do everything your daugther wants and more....

BASE AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53 edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support edit
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display edit
    MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512] edit
    HARD DRIVE 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated) edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY 6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr)

€520

E-Value Code

IEBSDONL-N1010002

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/ecomm/evalue?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&~ck=anavml

The dilemma you have is whether to go vista or xp pro?

I would go with xp pro myself as its faster and will have no compatability issues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Lads Keep in mind there is a 12" vostro comming out in November
    Thats what i'm waiting for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Thanks Sqaull20,

I think we'll go with this option, seems a lot safer than swimming in the stagnant sea that is the second hand laptop market.

Thanks again.

Fries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

deckie27 wrote: »

any idea when in November?

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    The reviews (on the official site!) scare me a little, have a look.

I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for value over the next 3 years. €150 over that period is neither here nor there.

Where are the reviews?? Never seen any?

Wonder will the 12" vostro be much cheaper and also would it really onlu suit someone who is constantly on the move as opposed to someone who brings it to work in the car and home again where 15.4 is better as mobility alone is the main thing and not absolute size.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I know they probably make them a bit better now, so could someone tell me the least I'd have to spend to get a vostro of equal spec (but not worse, except the HD which I'd be happy with a 60 or 80GB one) to my current laptop which needs urgent replacing:

Aspire 5021WLMi AMD Turion ML28 1.6Ghz (35W), Microsoft½ Windows½ XP Home, 15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite, 128MB ATI X700, 512MB (2*256), 100GB, DVD Dual double layer, LiIon, Gigabit Ethernet & wireless 802.11g , 6-in-1 card reader Ref: 1056902

Pleeease :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cormie wrote: »
    I know they probably make them a bit better now, so could someone tell me the least I'd have to spend to get a vostro of equal spec (but not worse, except the HD which I'd be happy with a 60 or 80GB one) to my current laptop which needs urgent replacing:

Aspire 5021WLMi AMD Turion ML28 1.6Ghz (35W), Microsoft½ Windows½ XP Home, 15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite, 128MB ATI X700, 512MB (2*256), 100GB, DVD Dual double layer, LiIon, Gigabit Ethernet & wireless 802.11g , 6-in-1 card reader Ref: 1056902

Pleeease :)

€600 maybe. It would get you a better processor and twice the ram as well. Probably a bigger hard drive too.

Hmmm, was hoping it'd only cost about €500. Any chance value codes or special offers could knock €100 or more off? :)

Last I hear, vostros were taking about 3 weeks to a month to be delivered because a shortage of parts. Is this still the case does anyone know?

Also, what's the story with the on site warranty thing? Does this mean somebody will come to your place and fix it on the spot meaning you wont have to be without your laptop for any period of time?

Regarding a 3 year warranty?
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2357/dsc00216rd1.jpg

This is my acer which I chose NOT to get an extended warranty on, which would have cost me a further €120 or so. Believe it or not, the above image is all down to the result of a hinge that developed a little crack after a while, which grew, and grew, and grew. Now it's even worse than the above picture, the lamp behind the monitor is gone, so I now have to hook it up to an external monitor or else shine a light from behind the screen, which doesn't really do much. So I'd be kind of afraid not to go for the 3 year warranty after my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Last I hear, vostros were taking about 3 weeks to a month to be delivered because a shortage of parts. Is this still the case does anyone know?

5 Vostro 1000 laptops ordered 23/10/07, shipped today 29/10/07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

I'm looking to get a vostro for Christmas, and I think im gonna wait for the end of November for the new Dell monthly discounts to be up.

Anyone have an idea of what date the new deals will be up, what they might be, and would it be delivered for Christmas?

Thanks

New deals should be from end of this week as theres a deal spread ending 31st Oct. Only thing about deals is that they''re all the same if the deal has what you want but at end of the day, your going to be paying about the same price once you have a good evalue code, swings and roundabouts really. As one poster put it, they're as cheap as they can be

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hmmm, was hoping it'd only cost about €500. Any chance value codes or special offers could knock €100 or more off? :)

Try this one. Upgrade the battery to a 6 cell and downgrade the warranty to a one year and it's €380 excluding delivery and vat. It has a bigger hard drive, more ram and a better processor.

Just a last minute question before I decide, I'm getting a bit jittery :p
    BASE AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53 edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support edit
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display edit
    MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512] edit
    HARD DRIVE 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated) edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY 9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr)

Would that be OK to play games like Counterstrike:Source or World of Worldcraft? Even on minimum detail would it work?

I saw something somewhere that worried me, Does XP Professional support Dual Processors like the AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2?

Also Is it possible to order Vostro 1400 with Xp? I tried adding XP to the end of a code but got nowhere

Thanks

BCawley wrote: »
    Just a last minute question before I decide, I'm getting a bit jittery :p

Would that be OK to play games like Counterstrike:Source or World of Worldcraft? Even on minimum detail would it work?

I saw something somewhere that worried me, Does XP Professional support Dual Processors like the AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2?

Also Is it possible to order Vostro 1400 with Xp? I tried adding XP to the end of a code but got nowhere

Thanks

I have a similar spec'd nvidia geforce go 6100 and an amd sempron 3500 laptop and wow and doom 3 etc are just about playable at minimum levels....which is no way to game imo...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-Go-6100-6150.2345.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-Xpress-1150.2173.0.html

I would spend an extra €200 and get one with a 8400gs...

E-Value Code
    IEBSDONL-N1015001

Xp pro supports Dual Core...and you can get windows xp pro on the 1400 range if you ring dell...

all 8400GS's are GDDR3

I would recommend to anyone interested in gaming like yourself Cawley,to keep checking dell outlet on ebay for the next while for a nice laptop...

One's with a

Base: XPS M1710 Core 2 Duo Processor T7400 2.16 GHz,

Hard Disk Drive: 160GB (5,400 rpm) Sata Hard Drive

Memory: 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)

Video: 512MB DDR3 nVidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX

Where going for just over €900

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250174851617

• Advertisement

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I would recommend to anyone interested in gaming like yourself Cawley,to keep checking dell outlet on ebay for the next while for a nice laptop...

One's with a

Base: XPS M1710 Core 2 Duo Processor T7400 2.16 GHz,

Hard Disk Drive: 160GB (5,400 rpm) Sata Hard Drive

Memory: 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)

Video: 512MB DDR3 nVidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX

Where going for just over €900

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250174851617

He's looking to play wow and doom 3 not crysis on full detail.

Lol, QFT :D

Basically Im lookin for a laptop for €500 ish for web browsing, and I'd like the option to play Counter strike source.
    So if ye had to take a guess, would CSS run on lowest detail on 640x360 ?
    (or whatever the lowest resolution is)

:D

Sorry,cant help myself lol

BCawley wrote: »
    Lol, QFT :D

Basically Im lookin for a laptop for €500 ish for web browsing, and I'd like the option to play Counter strike source.
    So if ye had to take a guess, would CSS run on lowest detail on 640x360 ?(or whatever the lowest resolution is)

Yeah they will play,I run the more powerful doom 3 at 640x480 everything set to low and it plays fine (15 to 28fps) on my similar geforce 6100 go...Css,far cry,wow etc are playable,wow gave me some problems (10 to 20 fps until I updated the drivers...

Fellow with similar system

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread177461.html

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it. Its gonna be an FPS kinda christmas for me! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

deckie27 wrote: »

Hmmm, vostro are the cheap range arent they? Im after something with a 12" or 13" screen, Im finding my current one 15.4" just a bit too bulky for carrying around, but something that still has a bit of grunt under the bonnet.

skywalker wrote: »
    Hmmm, vostro are the cheap range arent they? Im after something with a 12" or 13" screen, Im finding my current one 15.4" just a bit too bulky for carrying around, but something that still has a bit of grunt under the bonnet.

You could try the xps m1330 range.

I've heard of complaints that the 9 cell battery sticks out in the vostro. Is that true?
    I've seen plenty of pics of other dell laptops but not of the vostros specifically.

It does seem to stick out alright, nothing out of this world though.

pic here.
    http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/25390.jpg

Taken from here.
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3873

• Advertisement

You could try the xps m1330 range.

Dont get me wrong I didnt mean to put the vostros down at all. Was just wondering if I was thinking of the correct range. Ive had a wee look around, they look fine alright. Same specs as the other ranges for much cheaper. If theres a 12" model coming out, I may well go for one of them.

Presume normal punters can order them ok? I just ask seeing as they are only under the business section of the site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement