Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best coffee in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tallpaul83

I've never had a better coffee in the world than Coffee Angel. It is amazing and always consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

Went to Cafe di Napoli for a latte the other day. Was €3.50 and took one sip and had to chuck the rest. Was so disappointed, you wait in line pay of the odds and then...yuck.

Fallon and Byrne and Coffee Angel stand out as fab offerings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Batiste

INSOMNIA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't normally post about the various multiple cafe chains. They don't interest me for a vast number of reasons and to get into that would warrant a separate thread. If you're fond of them then fair enough, just enjoy, do try and make the effort to check out some of the partisan outlets that have been mention so frequently in this thread as the coffee that you'll normally be presented with will be incomparable to the major chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭iconoranacorn

It's been the Cuban Cigar Emporium on Grafton St for me for a while now.

I think it tastes great, and the lads in there are great craic.

And the dog, Bosley, the laziest dog you'll ever see, but also the coolest.

Then again, I haven't tried many other places in Dublin, but I'm careful to avoid shops like Insomnia, Spar etc etc for coffee, because quite frankly they're godawful!! :cool:

Hopefully 3FE hasn't closed down since the beginning of this thread coz being right on the Abbey St Luas line makes it all the more appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

3FE is no where near closed down, it's positively thriving. If you accomplish one thing this week, pay it a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

And the dog, Bosley, the laziest dog you'll ever see, but also the coolest.

My parent live next door to Bosley, and he's a different character at home - aloof, snobbish, and quick to criticise. Don't fall for his spin.

3FE are missing a trick here though - what they need is a resident monkey - everyone loves a coffee nerd monkey. He could sit up beside the the uber boiler and point and screech if anyone asked for sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Has anyone tried the place across from Carluccio's on Dawson St?
    It's called Fixx or something like that? Was recommended to go and I'm heading up Monday.
    Wanted to know if anyone has been yet and what are they like :)

(I think that's the street. Not from Dublin so I do get them mixed up :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lornen wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the place across from Carluccio's on Dawson St?
    It's called Fixx or something like that? Was recommended to go and I'm heading up Monday.
    Wanted to know if anyone has been yet and what are they like :)

(I think that's the street. Not from Dublin so I do get them mixed up :o )

It's my favourite coffee in Dublin, strong stuff. Nice vibe. Food is usually good but overpriced. Seating is good...some of the main section is a bit packed together though

Bambi wrote: »
    It's my favourite coffee in Dublin, strong stuff. Nice vibe. Food is usually good but overpriced. Seating is good...some of the main section is a bit packed together though

I saw a site online and I think it's the same place."Fixx Coffee Couture"
    Strong is good! As long as it's good quality I don't mind paying the money for it, but I'm not looking to buy any food there. What is with coffee shops charging out the yack for average quality food? Costa have a slice of carrot cake for 5 something.. A single slice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

alastair wrote: »
    3FE are missing a trick here though - what they need is a resident monkey - everyone loves a coffee nerd monkey.
    One of those palm civets would be better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

My parent live next door to Bosley, and he's a different character at home - aloof, snobbish, and quick to criticise. Don't fall for his spin.

Just a sad update on a (cue Vincent Browne style remorsefulness) stupid jokey comment. I've just learned from my Da that Bosley passed away at Christmas. He was obviously a nice personable dog and will be missed.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

First visit to this forum so be gentle!
    Had never drank coffee (in any form) before last week, just a tea kind of guy, but I had an inclination for a while to try 3FE after hearing some great things about it.

Anyway, went in last week with the missus (also a coffee virgin) and have to say, thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't want to make a tit of myself, so started with a cappuccino, and it was amazing. Then got an espresso, and though it was bitter, was also enjoyable. I probably likened it to a non alcohol drinker taking their first drink of 50 year old Jameson with no mixer or summat!

Went back in today and had a brownie and cappa, and again, thoroughly enjoyed it. Great value too for 4.50 for the two, price of a pint of generic lager!

One thing I would say is that it could be made a little easier for newbies to learn about. Menu doesn't give much to go on, and I wouldn't feel confident going in and asking to be taught a bit about coffee!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Nice review. A couple of leaflets might be an idea but I'm sure they'd welcome your interest, however much of a novice you may be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nice one on the 3FE everyone, dying to try it.

Question for the people who reckon their home is the best, what type of coffee and milk do you buy? What roasting, grinding etc machinery do you use? V

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The guys in 3FE are only too delighted to talk about coffee, and even more delighted to hear of someone who's dipping their toe into the world of coffee for the first time. Don't be afraid to chat to them, they're a world of knowledge. :)

wixfjord wrote: »
    First visit to this forum so be gentle!
    Had never drank coffee (in any form) before last week, just a tea kind of guy, but I had an inclination for a while to try 3FE after hearing some great things about it.

Anyway, went in last week with the missus (also a coffee virgin) and have to say, thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't want to make a tit of myself, so started with a cappuccino, and it was amazing. Then got an espresso, and though it was bitter, was also enjoyable. I probably likened it to a non alcohol drinker taking their first drink of 50 year old Jameson with no mixer or summat!

Went back in today and had a brownie and cappa, and again, thoroughly enjoyed it. Great value too for 4.50 for the two, price of a pint of generic lager!

One thing I would say is that it could be made a little easier for newbies to learn about. Menu doesn't give much to go on, and I wouldn't feel confident going in and asking to be taught a bit about coffee!

There's a really helpful picture on the first post of this thread also found in the coffee and tea forum here!

It'll give you a fair idea as to what coffee is what when you have another visit to a coffee shop. :)

Here's the link to the thread :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055610027

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Cheers for that pic, it's great, never new about most of that!
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    The guys in 3FE are only too delighted to talk about coffee, and even more delighted to hear of someone who's dipping their toe into the world of coffee for the first time. Don't be afraid to chat to them, they're a world of knowledge. :)

Oh I don't doubt that, but it's generally packed, and difficult to strike up a conversation with anyone at the counter.
    Agree, perhaps a leaflet would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Starbucks Westend Blanch:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Just a sad update on a (cue Vincent Browne style remorsefulness) stupid jokey comment. I've just learned from my Da that Bosley passed away at Christmas. He was obviously a nice personable dog and will be missed.

I went in today for the first time since xmas, and heard this... :( i dont think i can bring myself to go in there anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Love a birrofa 3FE myself! Delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hazymat

Hi

I know this thread is years old, but I'm visiting Dublin for a week today from London.

I'll be completely upfront now and say I am a huge coffee snob.

Naturally I'm excited to visit 3fe having heard about it for years and knowing a number of people who know the baristas there, as well as the fact I've been buying my greens and beans from HasBean for quite some time. It's going to be my lifeline as the longest I have gone without my own grinder and a woodneck is about two days in the last year!

Anyway. My question is this:

My work is on St Stephen's Green North and therefore sadly I won't be able to grab coffee throughout the day as 3fe isn't just around the corner from there.

Is there anything that would similarly satisfy a coffee snob right near where I'm going to be based - St Stephen's?

Please say there is!

Thanks

Mat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dahtac

Fallon and Byrne of Wicklow Street do a pretty good cup. They're using Has Bean as well and their coffee has been improving steadily over the last 6 months. Usually my port of call when I'm up that direction. Pretty close ties with 3fe as well from training

It only takes about 10 minutes to down as far as 3FE from Stephens Green if you're on the north side of it. Nearest, closest alternative is Fallon & Byrne, who've been trained by the guys in 3FE (Unfortunately Tom isn't there any more) and use HasBean beans.

3FE is open until 7 most days though, so you can always pop in after work!

Is Tom gone? Haven't seen the guy in a while.

He's away for the summer :)

Ah! Make more sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

On Grafton Street try Butlers or better still try the Cigar Emporium (upstairs) great coffee there.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Cionn wrote: »
    On Grafton Street try Butlers or better still try the Cigar Emporium (upstairs) great coffee there.

C

I wouldn't rate Butlers so highly myself for the coffee. Never heard about the cigar emporium doing coffee, is it really that good?

• Advertisement

No, not really. They're really nice guys in there, and great for a chat, even moreso if you like cigars, but it's a bean-to-cup machine they use. It's a good place to go to escape Grafton St, but I wouldn't be going just for the coffee.

I wouldn't be a big fan of Butlers either.

Advertisement