Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best coffee in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Try out clement and pekoe on south william street . Very nice coffee and great selection of tea also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

coffee angel for me. best in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I finally paid a visit to 3fe today, had a wonderful filter coffee. My list is now:
    1. 3fe
    2. The Bald Barista
    3. Nick's Coffee Company
    I'm not exactly adding anything new to this thread, as they've all been mentioned countless times before, but all three make a great cup of coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

So I dropped into 3Fe in Grand Canal last week to see what it was like, living between there and Baggot St there's a lot of options. I've never been there before so asked for a large latte and a Sandwich, the girl listed the 3 types of sandwich they had, I asked for a variation but they had no bread left, it was 12:05. She asked me if I'd like an extra shot shot, and I said yes, I like my coffee a bit strong. I was asked for €8 and handed it over. I got handed the smallest coffee I've ever seen, and after asking, I was told,with a sneer, that's the standard size.

So I went home, the sandwich was nice, the coffee, because it was so small, was cold.

So for €8 I can return there, or else go to a local pub and get a a full dinner.

It's a difficult choice.

Edit to add: Everyone made a point of saying hello and goodbye, I'd rather the hipsters said nothing and gave me a decent sized coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Oddjob wrote: »
    So I dropped into 3Fe in Grand Canal last week to see what it was like, living between there and Baggot St there's a lot of options. I've never been there before so asked for a large latte and a Sandwich, the girl listed the 3 types of sandwich they had, I asked for a variation but they had no bread left, it was 12:05. She asked me if I'd like an extra shot shot, and I said yes, I like my coffee a bit strong. I was asked for €8 and handed it over. I got handed the smallest coffee I've ever seen, and after asking, I was told,with a sneer, that's the standard size.

So I went home, the sandwich was nice, the coffee, because it was so small, was cold.

So for €8 I can return there, or else go to a local pub and get a a full dinner.

It's a difficult choice.

Edit to add: Everyone made a point of saying hello and goodbye, I'd rather the hipsters said nothing and gave me a decent sized coffee.

I think it's fair to say that what you were looking for isn't what they provide. The focus in 3FE is quality and not quantity. They don't do large coffee's like Starbucks or the like because to provide you with a coffee that size they'd have to charge a fortune. They are a specialty coffee shop who sell pre-made sandwiches. I think your point is valid though, if someone is looking for a large coffee to take away with a sandwich made to order, 3FE is definitely not the place to go. However, for top notch coffee, I personally don't think it can be beaten which after all is the purpose of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Has anyone bought bags of coffee from 3fe?

The reason I ask is that I got a free bag as part of the brewing class on Saturday morning (which was excellent by the way).

Anyway the roast date on the bag was 01/11/11. I was just wondering if this was what you would normally expect or did I just get unlucky.

I'm not complaining as I got the bag free, but I don't think I'd pay €12.50 for a bag roasted almost one month ago. Especially when you consider that Has bean sell the same bag considerably cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

adrian522 wrote: »

The reason I ask is that I got a free bag as part of the brewing class on Saturday morning (which was excellent by the way).

Anyway the roast date on the bag was 01/11/11. I was just wondering if this was what you would normally expect or did I just get unlucky.

I'm not complaining as I got the bag free, but I don't think I'd pay €12.50 for a bag roasted almost one month ago. Especially when you consider that Has bean sell the same bag considerably cheaper.

I normally look for the freshest roast date on the packets, but there are some older ones there sometimes.
    But it can take a few weeks for some coffees to mellow out, so it can be a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Same thing happened to me, I was at the brew class and got a bag with the same roast date. I tweeted a pic of the bag not havibg actually noticed the date and Colin replied telling me to bring the bag back in as it was too old and shouldn't have been given to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

Hi Adrian, as Conor explained this was a mistake. I found a box of coffee hiding downstairs and brought them up to show the guys on bar. Unfortunately they somehow managed to get handed out at the end of the class by mistake.

You can hang on to that bag but if you drop in to GCS I'll give you a fresh bag. You can contact me at colin@3fe.com and I'll have it waiting for you.

As far as freshness is concerned we aim to have nothing older than 3 weeks on the shelves and 99% of the time it will be within 10 days of roast and more often than not there'll be some stuff thats fresher.

In the shop itself we aim to use coffee 8-10 days post-roast and up to 4 weeks post roast so our retail coffee reflects this same criteria. If you want something fresher/older we could sort you out on request.

Apologies for the error and if you have any complaints or queries we're always more than willing to discuss them with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I was also at the coffee class enjoyed it as well. But looking around that 1-11-2011 date seemed to be on all the bags I could see (still it's making nice coffee).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Tried the bald barista over near harcourt street Luas stop, have to say I wasn't over impressed. It was alright, but probably wont buy there again. Coffee just tasted... Off. Maybe I just got a bad cup, but was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but anyone around Rathmines/Portobello area should check out 'Coffee To Get Her' on South Richmond St. (part of the Bernard Shaw pub). I bypass roughly a dozen other coffee shops on my way there to get a decent coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Coffee Angel at the foot bridge beside CHQ, Absolute quality coffee

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Just sitting in 3FE as I type came in for a quick coffee but it was so good I just ordered my 2nd. Amazing as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If I was grabbing one on the go it would be from Cafe de Cuba on the top of grafton street. Plenty of nice cigars to go along with the very decent but cheap coffee. http://www.cubascoffee.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Thirsty boy

Work on Pearse st & go to science gallery for my daily coffee. Best in town I'd say. I tried all the above mentioned haunts but none match theirs. They have actually started roasting their own, "twospots' Dublin coffee roasters... Excellent stuff. Fair play to them. Great coffee without the hipster sneers if ya know what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

There's no thread regarding 'worst coffee in Dublin', so i'll add my two cents.
    1. Butlers chocolate cafe - Heuston
    I was so amazed how many people buy coffee there every morning.
    We got two cups of something sour. It was disgusting.

2. Butlers chocolate cafe - Liffey street lwr - similar story.

3. FXB at Ryan's (close to Phoenix park) - cold milk destroyed everything, however on ground floor (at Ryan's) coffee was good - nice espresso and fair amount of steamed milk.

4. Java coffee @Arnotts - staff count 5 people, seems that they're well organized, but coffee is so bad that we never come back.

Now places where we got best coffee:
    1. Bewley's Grafton Street Cafe
    2. Bewley's Cafe @Arnotts

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

I was in 3fe today. Really good. Nearly as nice as Art of Coffee on leeson St. which is still my favourite.

Theres also a lovely place in the Merrion Centre, not sure the name of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone been to brother hubbards? New place on capel street, I believe they use has bean coffee too ??

I really need to check out cinnamon in ranelagh as well, my problem is that I'm spending all my money on beans and coffee equipment leaving little enough for spending in cafe's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

Anyone been to brother hubbards? New place on capel street, I believe they use has bean coffee too ??

I really need to check out cinnamon in ranelagh as well, my problem is that I'm spending all my money on beans and coffee equipment leaving little enough for spending in cafe's :)

I was in Hubbards. Really good espresso, no filter coffee when I was there. The barista was having an issue with his grinder as it kept underextracting, so he made sure it was dialed in correctly before serving it to me. It was a level of care that I really appreciated, even if it resulted in a bit of a wait for my shot. They had gorgeous brownies too, really crispy on top.

• Advertisement

The Toff wrote: »
    I was in Hubbards. Really good espresso, no filter coffee when I was there. The barista was having an issue with his grinder as it kept underextracting, so he made sure it was dialed in correctly before serving it to me. It was a level of care that I really appreciated, even if it resulted in a bit of a wait for my shot. They had gorgeous brownies too, really crispy on top.

After the last few days i know how he feels, just poured around 4 or 5 shots down the sink trying to get the effing thing dialled in properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Bruno in BH is an amazing barista. And the guys running the place are great.

I'm a big fan, often try pop in there to pick up one of the Super Seed Slices in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

PPC wrote: »
    One place that needs more mention in this thread is Murphys Icecream. The option of having a v60 or espresso is nice. And the icecream is an added bonus. Good alternative to 3FE for the south side.

What about the 3FE on the Southside? 32/34 Lower Grand Canal St, D2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

What about the 3FE on the Southside? 32/34 Lower Grand Canal St, D2

3FE GCS wasn't open when I posted that, but since it has opened I visit it weekly, best coffee shop in Dublin by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ally23

love the flat whites in Murphy's Icecream as they are one of the few places who get the texture of the milk right. Their hot chocolates are simply the best.

For the work run in the morning, im wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere around stephen's green/lower baggot st for coffee? I normally have about twenty mins to chill before work but don't want to stray off my route. I truly wish Insomnia coffee was better as it is the ideal location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

ally23 wrote: »
    love the flat whites in Murphy's Icecream as they are one of the few places who get the texture of the milk right. Their hot chocolates are simply the best.

For the work run in the morning, im wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere around stephen's green/lower baggot st for coffee? I normally have about twenty mins to chill before work but don't want to stray off my route. I truly wish Insomnia coffee was better as it is the ideal location.

Not too far off course would be Cup Cafe - haven't been in myself yet but the staff(like those in Murphys) I think have been trained up by Colin in 3FE - they also use Hasbean as their roaster.
    http://www.cupcafe.ie/
    http://twitter.com/#!/cupdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wrestlingdad

arc cafe bar - by liffey valley shopping center - fixx coffee - excellent latte art - very consistent - always good - ok for tea as well - loose leaf from kingfisher teas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Another vote here for 3FE on Lower Grand Canal St, D2.
    I regularly go 15 or 20 minutes out of my way to get coffee there.

One of the best things about the coffee is that is served at the perfect drinking temperature - unlike most other places which seem to think the right temperature for coffee is hotter than the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lt. Palumbo

I really like the coffee in Carluccio's on Dawson Street, the Napoli blend.

I must make the effort to get to 3FE, I've heard only good things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I must say I love Insomnia coffee - can't get enough of it.

What a pity, therefore, that I live in London so my visits to Dublin are usually filled with extra grande vanilla bullshit lattes from Insomnia.

They're opening a cafe in Belfast shortly as well.

What about their rivals, Cafe Sol? Good coffee?

Advertisement