Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best coffee in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

Just had a really lovely Latte from Coffee Angel...Very More-ish

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You can't beat a bit of Topaz coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JNA

I had to give 3fe a go after reading the rave reviews on this thread.

First time i went i got what was (in my opinion) a very mediocre double espresso. I chalked that down to bad luck, perhaps the barista was having an off day, and i dont think it was Colin Harmon serving. But i've been back a few times since and it has definitely not improved. In fact, after the piss poor espresso i got today (it had a weird chemical taste) i'll not be going back. This is my first post so i don't want to mouth off too much but i seriously can't understand the enthusiasm for 3fe.

Again this is only my opinion but i think the Bald Barista is hands down the best espresso in Dublin. Lilliput Stores in Stoneybatter is also good (i don't think that's been mentioned yet). Cigar Emporium is nice and consistent as well. In regards to the chain stores i think Butlers is grand for an americano.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

JNA wrote: »
    (it had a weird chemical taste)
    If it's still the blend they were using last weekend I actually love it. A really tannic mouthfeel and a nice subdued finish.
    Than again, maybe I spend too much time over my coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

JNA wrote: »
    I
    Again this is only my opinion but i think the Bald Barista is hands down the best espresso in Dublin. Lilliput Stores in Stoneybatter is also good (i don't think that's been mentioned yet). Cigar Emporium is nice and consistent as well. In regards to the chain stores i think Butlers is grand for an americano.

Maybe because they use an automatic coffee machine in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Exactly whereabouts on Abbey St is 3FE?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

Just up from the Epicurean Food Hall, at the back of Twisted Pepper

sourgrapes wrote: »
    Just up from the Epicurean Food Hall, at the back of Twisted Pepper
    Cheers, I may give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

3FE is nothing special wouldn't bother going out of my way to go back.

Bald baristas and Butlers

The_Joker. wrote: »
    3FE is nothing special wouldn't bother going out of my way to go back.

Bald baristas and Butlers

Just proves there's no accounting for taste, I would consider Fixx coffee (Bald Barista) as some of the worst coffee around! Sure each to their own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

It took me until yesterday to finally try out the bald barista - though the barista was nice enough and did a good job in creating my espresso I wasn't a lover of the coffee they use. In fact if you get the right barista across the road from coffee society then they do as good a job. For me the only 2 establishments that I'll keep going back to are 3FE and Coffee Angel.

donnacha wrote: »
    It took me until yesterday to finally try out the bald barista - though the barista was nice enough and did a good job in creating my espresso I wasn't a lover of the coffee they use. In fact if you get the right barista across the road from coffee society then they do as good a job. For me the only 2 establishments that I'll keep going back to are 3FE and Coffee Angel.

Havent really tried Coffee Angel, where they based?

snollup wrote: »
    Just proves there's no accounting for taste, I would consider Fixx coffee (Bald Barista) as some of the worst coffee around! Sure each to their own!

I never went to fixx! I am talking about the original bald baristas in aungier street.

3FE is average coffee ,served in a smelly little depressing dump.
    I can't see what the attraction is unless you are a depressed vampire without any sense of smell.

Had a coffee in Chez Max just of Dame St, very nice coffee and nice atmosphere as well.

I never went to fixx! I am talking about the original bald baristas in aungier street.
    Who uses fixx coffee. Take a look at fixxcoffee.com, there's definitely a vested interest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

In the stall in Twisted Pepper on abbey st, the guy is the world coffe making champion. (so his awards say) So if you dont get a good cup there, you wont get it anywhere.

3FE is average coffee ,served in a smelly little depressing dump.
    I can't see what the attraction is unless you are a depressed vampire without any sense of smell.

They use the same coffee.

pavcro10 wrote: »
    In the stall in Twisted Pepper on abbey st, the guy is the world coffe making champion. (so his awards say) So if you dont get a good cup there, you wont get it anywhere.
    I'm guessing this is 3FE?

I'm guessing this is 3FE?
    Yeah. Colin won the Irish Barista 09 and 10, and came fourth in the world both years as well.

He might use fixx coffee,but I read somewhere that someone said a fixx coffee
    shop was open near st stephens green, anyway my point is that you may go to two different establishments that use the same brand of coffee,and you get a much nicer cup in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

He might use fixx coffee,but I read somewhere that someone said a fixx coffee
    shop was open near st stephens green, anyway my point is that you may go to two different establishments that use the same brand of coffee,and you get a much nicer cup in one.

No offense, but if you rate Butlers as some of the best coffee in Dublin, I think you're looking for something different in your cafe experience. Butlers has positives, just as Starbucks is grand (and I like some of Starbucks offerings), but I think there's an obvious qualitative difference in the coffee product being offered in the likes of 3FE - even if you don't care for it, and don't like the environs, it's not just 'average' coffee.

alastair wrote: »
    No offense, but if you rate Butlers as some of the best coffee in Dublin, I think you're looking for something different in your cafe experience. Butlers has positives, just as Starbucks is grand (and I like some of Starbucks offerings), but I think there's an obvious qualitative difference in the coffee product being offered in the likes of 3FE - even if you don't care for it, and don't like the environs, it's not just 'average' coffee.

We all have our own taste, some people find caviar a luxury delicacy ,others find it disgusting.

We all have our own taste, some people find caviar a luxury delicacy ,others find it disgusting.

True - but you generally don't hear about it being 'average'.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

It appears that anyone in this thread who declares a dislike for 3FE risks being censured by its coterie of sycophantic aficionados. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the coffee there, however, this is a discussion forum- it is not a requisite requirement for everyone to have the same opinion, surely.

3FE has lots of positives but there are also evident negatives. I am yet to come across any establishment in the food and drink sector, which is unflawed. I've also noticed a huge price increase in 3FE lately, which is perhaps unwise at the moment- €3 for a flat white, which cost €2 a few months back!

I don't think anyone has added Murphy's Ice Cream stores yet. They're using the same (Hasbean) coffee as Colin and he has some involvement with training, I believe. The environs are certainly more pleasing than 3FE.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It appears that anyone in this thread who declares a dislike for 3FE risks being censured by its coterie of sycophantic aficionados. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the coffee there, however, this is a discussion forum- it is not a requisite requirement for everyone to have the same opinion, surely.

The thread is about the best coffee in Dublin. I've seen no rebuttals as far as 3FE goes apart from when the quality of coffee is questioned or referred to as 'average' or 'nothing special' when in fact the absolute opposite should be obvious to anyone with any sort of appreciation of good coffee.

I've seen no rebuttals as far as 3FE goes apart from when the quality of coffee is questioned or referred to as 'average' or 'nothing special'.

Well, that depends on a individual's personal experiences. If I pretend that I've never visited a café in London or the Nordic countries, then I could declare the coffee in 3FE as something "special". In the context of this thread, I would say that the coffee in 3FE is above average. That's my opinion, I believe I'm allowed to hold one.

Well, that depends on a individual's personal experiences. If I pretend that I've never visited a café in London or the Nordic countries, then I could declare the coffee in 3FE as something "special". In the context of this thread, I would say that the coffee in 3FE is above average. That's my opinion, I believe I'm allowed to hold one.

Well, aside from the whole business of trying to win friends and influence people with the 'sycophantic' nonsense, I think it's worth pointing out that the context of this thread isn't Nordic or London coffee, it's about Dublin coffee, and I'm not sure how you can resolve the notion of coffee that a month a go you yourself proclaimed "excellent" as now being 'nothing special'. Maybe your distaste for supposed 'sycophants' clouds your judgement/memory?

btw - I've not suggested 3FE in this thread - for the simple reason that I've never bought a drink from them - they don't sell what I'm looking for. I'd also hazard that, regardless of my personal experiences, Colin has earned his spurs on the 'something special' front (as have Karl Purdy and Stephen Morrissey) in the court of international competition. For what it's worth my better half reckons the best cappa she's ever had was from Gwilym Davies' cart, but does that mean that she can't consider the same from 3FE something special too? Not really.

Feel free to hold whatever opinion you like, but try and make it a consistent one, and preferably free of insults to those who don't share it., eh?

Well, aside from the whole business of trying to win friends and influence people with the 'sycophantic' nonsense

I'm attempting to do nothing of the sort!
    I think it's worth pointing out that the context of this thread isn't Nordic or London coffee, it's about Dublin coffee

Yes, that unique product known as Dublin coffee. Coffee is available elsewhere and wait for it.......... isn't endemic to Dublin! I'm drawing on experience- people tend to do that and not think within narrow, linear parameters. I actually stated "In the context of this thread"! I must remember to suppress all knowledge of everything else when responding to an OP.
    I'm not sure how you can resolve the notion of coffee that a month a go you yourself proclaimed "excellent" as now being 'nothing special'.

I don't need to resolve anything because I never said it was "nothing special". That was a different poster. Perhaps you should consult a dictionary for the meaning of "excellent"; "above average" is consistent with definitions used by OED and Merriam Webster. "Special" has very different connotations and nuances.
    Maybe your distaste for supposed 'sycophants' clouds your judgement/memory?

No, not really.
    btw - I've not suggested 3FE in this thread - for the simple reason that I've never bought a drink from them

So, essentially you're criticising people who have patronised the establishment in question for declaring the product as "average" (I'm not one of them, btw), yet you've never sampled same? Astonishing! When you have an informed opinion based on direct experience, I'll take you seriously.
    Feel free to hold whatever opinion you like, but try and make it a consistent one, and preferably free of insults to those who don't share it., eh?

It is consistent and even if it wasn't, can opinions not alter? Perhaps you should take heed of your own advice, eh? I noticed something, which I regarded as unpleasant within the thread, you've provided a QED moment, Alastair.

Finally, I think you missed what I said here:
    I'm a fan of the coffee there

Just so there's no ambiguity - I'm criticising you for being insulting, and switching from a position of stating the coffee in 3FE is "excellent" to "If I pretend… then I could declare the coffee in 3FE as something "special".". Now that's some pretty impressive backpedaling (and inconsistency) in anyone's terms. Well done on getting great coffee abroad, but this is a thread about the (not to labour what should be obvious) 'Best coffee in Dublin'.

Now, for your ongoing arse-mongering, you've earned yourself a nice 'ignore in future' prize - well done on that.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Just so there's no ambiguity - I'm criticising you for being insulting, and switching from a position of stating the coffee in 3FE is "excellent" to "If I pretend… then I could declare the coffee in 3FE as something "special"."

I have contributed several posts to this thread, which have suggested where to obtain the best coffee in Dublin IMO. There was no backpedalling by me, however quite the demonstration of the art in your post above. "Above average" does not mean "average" nor does "special" mean "excellent". This is basic English comprehension. Just so there's no equivocation: Excellent -very good of its kind; Special - unique.
    arse-mongering
    Your "holier than thou" attitiude is marvellous. I presume you're oblivious to the self-referential nature of your posts when discussing my ostensible insults. That's the worst insult in the thread. Nice to see you've ceased from falsely attributing quotes to me, though.

Feel free to ignore me, I'd imagine you've been ignoring lots things most of your life- I'm sure it's blissful. For your own sake, however, a dictionary would be a wonderful addition to your book-case.

As I've said ad nauseam, I really like 3FE's coffee and I've actually sampled it on many occassions.

Advertisement