Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best coffee in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

This is getting a tad silly.

Taste is personal, subjective. Some people think Budweiser is the world's best beer, some people drink Le Piat D'Or, Blue Nun etc. My father routinely tells me I'm cursed with a discerning palate, as he has no problems enjoying wine in the €6 and below price range, while I more often than not find myself in the €15+ bracket (not saying I haven't enjoyed wines below that price - in fact one of my favourite wines in the last month was €9.99 - but I digress).

At times in my life I thought Starbucks produced great coffee, I used to pick up blocks of preground Lavazza each week in the supermarket etc. For me, appreciation of coffee has been a journey, one I'm still on. Opinions, tastes, palates evolve and change over time.

So, I would say if someone thinks Butlers and the Bald Barista produce the best coffee in Dublin - then fair play to you. There was a time I thought that of the Bald Barista too, so I could not castigate someone else for holding that opinion. Though I haven't been round Buzz's in quite some time, I imagine he would probably still be in the top 10 (in my book).

I don't particularly want to disparage other people's opinions, or businesses. I'd prefer to stick to highlighting who I think is doing a great job.

You think 3FE is average or nothing special? Fair enough. I disagree, but you are entitled to hold that opinion.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that 3FE, and in all fairness Coffee Angel too, operate at the very top of coffee in Ireland, and have a focus on cup quality that is unrivaled in this country. The coffees they produce are primarily delicious, display elements of varietal, origin and terroir in the cup, and are not dominated by roast as many coffees tend to be.

But that's just my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I don't particularly want to disparage other people's opinions, or businesses.

I'd just like to point out for anyone who is basing an opinion solely on Alastair's posts that I have never done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

snollup wrote: »
    Havent really tried Coffee Angel, where they based?

They have a few different mobile units which are all around/near to the IFSC - Custom House Quay, North Wall Quay and Sir John Rogersons Quay:
    http://www.coffeeangel.com/en/locations

Coffee Angel also supplies the beans for "The Art of Coffee" on Pearse Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I don't particularly want to disparage other people's opinions, or businesses. I'd prefer to stick to highlighting who I think is doing a great job.

Sycophant! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Coffee angel only open til 2.30?! gah.

Dublin needs 24/7 coffee places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Coffee angel only open til 2.30?! gah.

Dublin needs 24/7 coffee places.
    Wait what, 2.30 in the morning?

no, in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Oh yah. That's what I thought, but then you mentioned 24/7 places.

They only really open to get the morning and lunch rushes, particularly around the business district. I'd like them to open later as well but a lot of coffee places over there close early. I'd have thought there'd at least be some business in people going for coffee after work?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

I tried Coffee Angel today for the first time. It´s right outside my office but the Coffee shop at work is subsidised so it´s hard to justify paying 300% more for a coffee! Anyway, I bit the bullet and I was impressed.

Also, I went to Nicks Coffee in Ranelagh. Very nice guy himself and the coffee was about the same as Coffee Angel. Well, maybe Coffee Angel just about edges it.

So for me (at the moment) my list in order of preference is:

3FE
    The Bald Barista
    Coffee Angel/Nicks

Next up to try is The Art of Coffee :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Finishing up work next Tuesday for 2 weeks and thinking a trip to 3FE on my way to the luas would be a nice treat to leave the city with.

Is it in the twisted pepper or upstairs ????

I like filtered coffee so i think thats wht i'll go for !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's on the ground floor, just walk in the doors and you'll see it beside the bar counter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wrestlingdad

arc cafe bar at liffey valley- they use fixx coffee - staff trained by the bald barista - always consistent - the best latte art

Was in Milk & Honey the other day? Coffee was average, but it was very expensive I thought.

a €2 Americano in café havanna is where I'll stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr Teb

I have found what is apparently here for ages but I have had the best coffee in town recently. I like a latte or cappuccino and this place is awesome. Il cafe di napoli, just beside pearse street train station.

It's ok, I'd go there only because it close to the station and it's open late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Mr Teb wrote: »
    I have found what is apparently here for ages but I have had the best coffee in town recently. I like a latte or cappuccino and this place is awesome. Il cafe di napoli, just beside pearse street train station.
    +1:D

Well i made it to 3FE this morning for the 1st time and wow it was just amazing. Just watching them making the filtered coffee was an experienced when you normally go to starbucks and the like.

The i had my coffee black with no sugar and i have never tasted anything so good in my life. I'm going to try and make it down there once a week at least to try and get a coffee.

Big thumbs up to the lads down there, great coffee, great service and at the end i was shown the coffee i was given and a little bit of info on it !

well done 3FE !

I think I was on one of the stools by the counter when you ordered, heard you mention something about Boards.

Glad you enjoyed - The guys behind the counter in there are great :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I think I was on one of the stools by the counter when you ordered, heard you mention something about Boards.

Glad you enjoyed - The guys behind the counter in there are great :)

That was indeed me............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You can truly go nowhere. I was in there the other day, sitting reading a paper enjoying a filter Coffee when I heard somebody else refer to boards.ie

Oddly enough I think they were actually referring to my post about Jordan where I mentioned she won the Latte Art Competition.

Creepy small world. :D

Was that a conversation about how people found out about the SCAE competition?

O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Was that a conversation about how people found out about the SCAE competition?

O.o

I think that could have been it. My damn colleague was "talking AT me" the whole time so I couldn't pay too much attention.

I did nothing to promote it in advance of the competition. I will of course promote Catex and the Barista competition if the directors sign off on us attending the show / having a stand at the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I'm amazed that it took 11 pages for Nick's in Ranelagh to be mentioned - or are people concentrating on D1/2 coffee places?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Speedsie wrote: »
    I'm amazed that it took 11 pages for Nick's in Ranelagh to be mentioned - or are people concentrating on D1/2 coffee places?

Well Nick is D6 and also many Farmer Markets.
    I didn't mention Nick's because I've recommended it so many times before in other similar threads. It's not just the drinks but the beans are exceptionally good. I might as well mention that he's opening a new shop in Tara Street very soon, if it's not already open. I promise I'm just a customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I've tried Nick's at the Farmleigh farmers market and at Town Bar & Grill. Very disappointed both time.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

I´ve found Nicks to be hit and miss. I find it very good when Nick himself is preparing the coffee but I haven´t been served by him in a while now and it´s been a bit off tbh which is a pity because the beans themselves are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I´ve found Nicks to be hit and miss. I find it very good when Nick himself is preparing the coffee ..... which is a pity because the beans themselves are excellent.

You're dead right. If it's Nick or Riaan the coffee is very good otherwise it can be hit & miss. It's his "sweet espresso" blend that keeps me coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

One place that needs more mention in this thread is Murphys Icecream. The option of having a v60 or espresso is nice. And the icecream is an added bonus. Good alternative to 3FE for the south side.

• Advertisement

Speedsie wrote: »

He has a place in Dublin 2, now. It's on Tara Street, across from The Irish Times building.

Advertisement