Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final table situation, player requests other players to move around?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

i havent read all of this as most of it seems like utter tripe however there is a seat draw for a reason and it is yet another factor of luck in poker whether or not you get a "good" seat or "bad" in the draw and you're position shouldnt change

On a morality level perhaps the op could of moved but I was in the s.e last night and no-one seemed too affected by this and since the people at the table didnt mind that much why did it spark off so much outrage on an internet forum.

On a gaming level does seat no 1 feel as if he should be rewarded for lasting longer than the guys in the middle of the table and therefore get to see more of the action and people by moving around everytime someone goes bust. seat 1 is a sh1t seat for a reason but its another random thing you have to deal with in poker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

noel i understand why you were reluctant to move but i think you should have - especially gievn the nature of the game and how it was mainly meant to be light-hearted fun. as daithio says "Just because you're playing for money doesn't mean you should leave your manners at the door." i think you believe you didnt move for poker reasons but it came across to others as being rude. i think its an etiquette thing, like so many things in poker.

as for people calling you this that and the other, f**k 'em! :p

also i havent read through much of this thread, but i'm not sure if at any stage you said you 100% think not moving is ok, would i be right in saying that you were unsure whether not moving was right or wrong and you wanted to discuss it?

i think people who have called you a variety of names assume that just because you didnt move you COMPLETELY think that it was right not to move. my guess is, even though you didnt move you are unsure as to whether it is right, hence the discussion thread?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭mrflash

oh right - thanks for squaring that one up for me, i can see clearly now, light at end of tunnel and all that lark.
    its quite clear that you are not able to accept criticism, you have to retort with some smart remark if you do not have a valid point to make. i agree with phantom lord, and its what i was trying to explain earlier. your postings sound really cocky and arrogant, and as a result you annoy people. this is why you have got so many nasty responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Trippie wrote:

On a gaming level does seat no 1 feel as if he should be rewarded for lasting longer than the guys in the middle of the table and therefore get to see more of the action and people by moving around everytime someone goes bust. seat 1 is a sh1t seat for a reason but its another random thing you have to deal with in poker

The seat draw isn't supposed to advantage or disadvantage anyone. Seat 1 is not ****e for a reason... unless you mean the reason is the design of poker tables. Which is limited because of the difficulty of seating 10 people around a table. In an ideal world seats 1 - 10 would all have the same view.

But agree that it's just another random thing. Personally I like seat 5 - unless the dealer is very attractive - as I can see al the players clearly and I'm never worried about them seeing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lasjokers1

absolute best way for seat solection at final tables....
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=dVC6bvUBkRg

* I know its an old one at this stage.

getup out of yer rocking chair grandma....nobody moves, nobody gets hurt..(free hug from me to whoever in who can guess that song).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Hawk Eye

The guy you refused might get upset and start to play too many hands but thats about the only edge I think you might gain.
    By the sounds of it you seem to put too much emphasis on live tells, you really shouldn't get distracted by an insecurity as small as seating position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭sumoward

because you are one of the least pleasant posters on the forum?

Thats a tad harsh, any dealings I have had with BCB whether online or in real life have been pleasant.

He is one of the many helpful posters on this forum who take the time to answer even the most basic questions.

Then again I am pretty soft and even Like Paddy O'Neill:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Yeah I am with everyone here although it's not life or death or anything so name calling it a bit petty.

I think it's just common courtesy to move and your really not giving up much edge if anything and the fact that you said in differant thread or maybe it was your blog that they were doing a collection of chips in a bucket for Vera to top up shows that the tournament was a very friendly one played in good spirits so in keeping with this I think it would have being best to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Im not sure why you started this thread if you were sure you were in the right.
    Part of poker is keeping bad players coming back by making sure they have a good time, this is definitely something you need to work on - I noticed in some of your Vegas reports -

"Listen son, I gamble for a living, don't talk to me about stuff you don't understand"

I burst into laughter and told him that he was lucky he doesn't play poker for a living or he would be broke long ago. I continued to laugh for some time as did another guy on the table who also understood. The scenario? $2/$5 in the Rio and after some ****tard raises from LP his "buddy" in the SB folds AQ face up saying you probably have me. LP guy shows AcJc - and the SB tells him "wow you were actually a 2/1 dog".... Anyway after a series of of I know everything lines the LP ****tard told the table that he was actually a 46% shot to win the hand and the AQ was 54%... Oh yes!! Wait for it!!! He said the golden line "they were sooted"..... I asked him if he would like to get a dealer and a deck of cards and run it 20 times at those odds for a few thousand dollars? Unfortunately for me he didn't want to take my money. Bad beat...

Laughing these players out of the game or encouraging them to educate themselves is losing you a lot more EV than moving a seat or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

RoundTower wrote:
    agree with everyone else, you should move and you are being a dick if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭HalfBaked

bohsman wrote:
    Im not sure why you started this thread if you were sure you were in the right.
    Part of poker is keeping bad players coming back by making sure they have a good time, this is definitely something you need to work on - I noticed in some of your Vegas reports -

"Listen son, I gamble for a living, don't talk to me about stuff you don't understand"

I burst into laughter and told him that he was lucky he doesn't play poker for a living or he would be broke long ago. I continued to laugh for some time as did another guy on the table who also understood. The scenario? $2/$5 in the Rio and after some ****tard raises from LP his "buddy" in the SB folds AQ face up saying you probably have me. LP guy shows AcJc - and the SB tells him "wow you were actually a 2/1 dog".... Anyway after a series of of I know everything lines the LP ****tard told the table that he was actually a 46% shot to win the hand and the AQ was 54%... Oh yes!! Wait for it!!! He said the golden line "they were sooted"..... I asked him if he would like to get a dealer and a deck of cards and run it 20 times at those odds for a few thousand dollars? Unfortunately for me he didn't want to take my money. Bad beat...

Laughing these players out of the game or encouraging them to educate themselves is losing you a lot more EV than moving a seat or two.

I have to agree with Oscar here. It's something I've noticed you doing a lot live and really should be cut out. You shouldn't be telling people how badly they've played hands and what bad shape they were in and so on. Let them enjoy the experience of losing they're money as best you can! I know we've all been guilty of it once or twice for various reasons but it's something you do regularly. I don't mean to get on your case about it but it's in your own interest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

BCB,

if Vera herself had been in seat 2 of the FT and asked you to move would you? Assume that there would have been plenty of spectators around the table railbirding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

This thread has gotten out of hand imho.

On the face of it BCB should have moved. On the other hand we don't know the tone with which the question was asked and the tiredness factor that came into play after 9+ hours of play. It sounds like the question was asked and BCB took a bit of a dislike to it and then got his back up to me. However the biggest mistake was posting this thread and responding on a Monday after having had < 3 hours sleep I'd say.

BCB seems to get involved in a lot of these tetchy arguments on boards from what I've seen, mainly by expressing himself as he does in real life. The difference is in real life you can see a smile on his face and understand that he mainly does not mean to cause offence although he can be offside on occasion (as can we all).

By the way at any FT I'm at I'll be asking the TD/dealer for BCB to be moved to "make room" from now on! :p

Thanks for the tip Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

lafortezza wrote:
    BCB,

if Vera herself had been in seat 2 of the FT and asked you to move would you? Assume that there would have been plenty of spectators around the table railbirding.

Good question Lafortezza. Your brain juices run goot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

the only thing I can't believe about this thread is that no-one has challenged BCB to 'play for houses' yet...where's MPT when you need him?

I'd have moved but this is definitely a....

375340724_bb60431917.jpg

<mental note to ask BCB to move on every and all occasion in the future>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Okay my 2 Cents here,
    Come on BCB don't start acting like a dick at the poker table, there are enough of them around the scene already.

So its Vera's bash, there's some good money at stack at the final table.
    You said earlier that Vera was low in chips and the doorman did a whip around for chips and some people didn't put chips from their stack in the bucket (Shame on them) I think the words were that you used.

Now I have a question for you.

Lets say Vera got to the final table and asked you to move, would you have refused? .............

If putting people on tilt is the edge your looking for I think it's a wrong move, your better than that:mad:

Sorry didn't read the full thread, I see the point was made already by Laf above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

Yawn yawn yawn at this stage... Noelly ur a good guy but ffs move. I ll be on ur case every time now just for a laugh.

If you are so worried about your sick tells then add to the baseball cap with a hoody top and sun glasses and adopt a unibomber type attire.

Come on dude it was a birthday bash with a 4K added prize pool which you should have taken into account.

I cant really believe this thread has generated so many replies but yet I find myself replying to this.

When you did nt move and then cashed did ya just walk past the homeless dude on the corner of Dawson street or the other homeless dude that sleeps between the doors on Molesworth Street just across from Dawson street.

I bet these guys are asked to move quite often by the Garda etc and I wonder how comfortable they felt at the time.

Get a grip and get a proper persective on the night that was in it. It was a birthday bash.

IMHO moving a few feet loses an edge eh i wonder.. I enjoy your company at the table but if i was there on Sunday night I would have been quite vocal as to my thoughts and you have no given others some ammunition to wind you up.

So trivial it borders on ridiculous but has had about 140 replies I think. Wow

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Personally I am moving without even being asked to even though i hate the middle of the table.

there is nothing worse than ppl been knocked out of two seats together and ppl to the left or right of those seats squeezed together.

Id have called for the TD too if you had refused my request.

Imagine your in seat 1 in this situation. you havent been the one to make the request... would you not think that the refuser was being a bit nit picky?

np.

thanks btw, i was on the lookout for a catchy sig.

In fairness BCB Phantom_lord asked you to get rid of your Sig relating to him along time ago. Why do you have it there anyway, so people can constantly ask him how much he is making........ or not........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think BCB made a small mistake in this situation, probably realises it by now and doesnt deserve the venomous nature of some of the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭30something

At least one good thing came from this thread, the single most accidentally funny quote I have read in my 12 months on board ...

RasTa wrote:
    this seems a bit too anal for my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

responses to those points which I feel warrant one.......

Oscar - Ive no real desire to continue to answer questions that ive already fielded earlier in the thread but I started this thread as I wanted to get a feel for the consensus on a situation like this. As for the Vegas situation - thats an incident (and rather isolated) sparked by another guys demeanour which caused me to respond as I thought it might lead to a profitable situation for me by running the scenario x-times for $$$.

Peter - I didnt realise Im as guilty as you put it. I know I once was but I had thought I had cut it from my game. Maybe its a subconscious thing that I dont even realise im saying it at this stage so il work on it.

Laff - I dont know what id have said had Vera been the one to ask me. But as you would likely indicate im pretty sure id have moved. But then Im pretty sure that if Vera had cause to ask me she would have made the request in a more respectable manner.

ollyk - Ive added you to my list of people to slowroll. :p

smurph - see my response to laff above for your first Q. Secondly dont misrepresent my intentions. I have no intention to put people on tilt, i was not looking for this edge in any such manner as you have suggested that I might have. I have said above though that I felt I was the one more likely to be put on tilt had i moved away from what i deemed to be a very comfortable position - we all react to situations at the poker table differently that later we might regret - you are guilty of it yourself. Thirdly - PL has not asked me to remove my signature, he did ask why I still had it? But did not ask me to remove it. Personally I have no issue with whatever PL chooses to put in his sig - its his business and I have no intention of swaying him from his preferences.

smurph wrote:
    In fairness BCB Phantom_lord asked you to get rid of your Sig relating to him along time ago. Why do you have it there anyway, so people can constantly ask him how much he is making........ or not........

And now i have just noticed Phantom Lords Sig, so in fairness children i'll leave you at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I think BCB made a small mistake in this situation, probably realises it by now and doesnt deserve the venomous nature of some of the responses.

I'm pretty sure he'll move in future. People lining up to call him a d1ckhead is out of order imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Laff - I dont know what id have said had Vera been the one to ask me. But as you would likely indicate im pretty sure id have moved. But then Im pretty sure that if Vera had cause to ask me she would have made the request in a more respectable manner.
    I've only really read the OP and the last page or so of this thread, but in what manner were you asked to move seats?
    Did the dealer or TD make a request for people to move seats for the benefit and comfort of everyone at the final table?

If you were in Seat 4, then moving around the table a bit would have put you in the Seat 5 or 6 position correct?
    In that case you'd still have been able to
    angle myself towards the centre of the table, that means my eyes are focussed towards the middle, I can raise my right hand and rest my head/protect my face from those to my right when im in a pot. This makes me more comfortable and makes it easier for me to hide my sick tells. If I move to mid table I am giving up some of my advantage and comfort zone.

Seat 4 is the mirror image of seat 6 and seat 5 is almost identical in terms of hiding tells with a propped up arm, and viewing the entire table.

Are you sure your refusal to move wasn't to do with particular personalitys at the table or unwillingness to accomodate certain people?

I was not looking for this edge in any such manner as you have suggested that I might have. I have said above though that I felt I was the one more likely to be put on tilt had i moved away from what i deemed to be a very comfortable position - we all react to situations at the poker table differently that later we might regret - you are guilty of it yourself. Thirdly - PL has not asked me to remove my signature, he did ask why I still had it? But did not ask me to remove it. Personally I have no issue with whatever PL chooses to put in his sig - its his business and I have no intention of swaying him from his preferences.

On the first point above, I am not trying to come across as a saint myself, but I really do try to make an effort to act mannerly enough atthe table, if you want to give a few examples that you think I didn't then feel free.

On the 2nd point I thought that Phantom Lord had asked you to remove your sig, but maybe im wrong there, and as answered above I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

smurph wrote:
    I am not trying to come across as a saint myself, but I really do try to make an effort to act mannerly enough atthe table, if you want to give a few examples that you think I didn't then feel free..

I retort with the same smurph - people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones, my point being that we have all been in the glasshouse at one point or another. I have no desire to list any examples as I view them as minor indiscretions and know you to be good one on the whole. Likewise, I would hope that when I am guilty of an indiscretion that ppl would view it in a similar light to myself.
    smurph wrote:
    On the 2nd point I thought that Phantom Lord had asked you to remove your sig, but maybe im wrong there, and as answered above I'll leave you to it.

I will stand open to correction on this but im pretty confident he has not asked me to remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

At least one good thing came from this thread, the single most accidentally funny quote I have read in my 12 months on board ...

Glad to be of service..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't have to move but it's nicer.

Nicer tables are better to play at for everyone, and are more profitable for good players. Not sure if this line of thinking extends to torunament FT's though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Czarina

I think BCB was quite rude, and if he did that where I play he'd get such a slagging over it (laid back kinda place) that he'd end up wishing he had just moved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement