Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

Rathangan Co. Kildare, huge big TS heading for me now.

Big flash just now, lit up the whole room!

And another

Two more, and it's pi**ing down, time to go:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I haven't seen such a menacing sky ever. The entire sky looks like lightning could erupt from it. And to the west, the land is shrouded out in rain. It will be great if there was some lightning, it looks spectacular at night.

I'm going to disconnect the internet after the 9 pm radar is shown. That sky is evil-looking!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Keep the reports coming lads!
    I reckon our north Dublin members have some fun on the way soon too, Snowbie stay online!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Had 7 or 8 flashes over the space of 15 minutes or so, seemed to be along the front edge of the rain. Still raining here but lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Rain not here atm,and its still quiet from my detector.Unfortunately.

Its raining cats and dogs here, any action north of the mountains, would think North Dublin shoulkd be getting some big downpours atm ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Aye just started to rain now,i can see the heavier stuff on the radar alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Just started here also, can here the heavier stuff already
    EDIT: That didn't take very long, pi**in down here now, the clouds have a strange orange tinge to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

No thunder or lightning to report here.

The problem is once the sun disappears below the horizon the energy goes very quickly.

Snowbie wrote:
    Aye just started to rain now,i can see the heavier stuff on the radar alright.

What kind of rain rates are you seeing?, its belting down here and i'm far south of the main action - currently 44 mm/hr ..its bouncing up off all surfaces .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

trogdor wrote:
    Just started here also, can here the heavier stuff already
    EDIT: That didn't take very long, pi**in down here now, the clouds have a strange orange tinge to them

Any lightning?

darkman2 wrote:
    Any lightning?
    You think i'd keep it a secret?:D :p No, no lightning to report here.

Rain trailing off here, clouds visable - show over.

Should be some big rain rates in north of Dublin city, have we any Dundalk or Drogheda members with stations here?

Longfield wrote:
    What kind of rain rates are you seeing?, its belting down here and i'm far south of the main action - currently 44 mm/hr ..its bouncing up off all surfaces .
    Its only starting to pick up as i type,nothing registered yet and still no sferics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Looks like it is very heavy in Dublin and Meath at the moment going by the radar

Noticed a Flash of thunder to my South-West just now, out of my window accompanied by a low rumble off in the distance, a good 25/30 seconds after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just reporting back on the earlier activity in Portlaoise.

Some very bright flashes of lightning for a while earlier and one, in particular, at 8 p.m. on the dot lit up the whole place and was so bright it was almost blinding :eek: (I was looking directly out the window at the time). It was followed immediately after by an incredibly loud crack of thunder that shook the whole house. In fact, it almost sounded to me like the distinctive "double boom" you'd hear after a sonic boom, there were kind of like two bangs one after the other followed then by the sound of it rolling across the sky for a good half a minute or so. It must have been right overhead or as damn near to it as you can get, judging by that.

The storm flashed and rumbled on for maybe an hour or so around here before moving off but the rest of the flashes and bangs were an anti-climax compared to the one I just described above. That one was definitely one of those "fúck me!" (yes, those were my exact words at the time, by the way! :D ), too-close-for-comfort-and-pretty-scary types, believe me! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There was nothing to "enlighten" us last night here. Just some heavy rain, despite the sky's suggestions.

Nice enough chart for northern areas for today: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1211.png

The t+18 moves that to east Ulster/North Leinster. There had better be some lightning in it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Extremely active t-storm just moving out into the bay in Dundalk here....several rumbles and a few flashes. Rumbles are about 20 seconds aaprt and prolonged...

[edit] Strange, nothing showing on snowbie's detector

Wertz wrote:
    Extremely active t-storm just moving out into the bay in Dundalk here....several rumbles and a few flashes. Rumbles are about 20 seconds aaprt and prolonged...

[edit] Strange, nothing showing on snowbie's detector
    Thats exactly what i need to know.I have corrected the ranging in your part of the world and should see the corrections in a few moments if the lightning persists.
    Just to make it clear again,the detector or any detector will have optimum ranging in the stronger stoms.

Okay well there's a second cell to my WSW producing rumbles as I type....anvil is over me now but main body is about 4 miles inland.

[edit] Strong continuous rumbling coming from west...main body is moving S of me. Inter cloud flashes.

[edit2] Snowbie if it's any help I'd say you're still estmating the current pool of strikes as being about 15-20km too far N...unless that is, there's a monster of a cell in central Armagh. I'd be pretty confident the cluster on the map currently is the cell just S of Dundalk.

Mammatus formations on the underside of the anvil. They stretch for about 30 degrees across the sky.
    Never seen them so clearly here before....pity it's not sunset.

Wertz wrote:

[edit2] Snowbie if it's any help I'd say you're still estmating the current pool of strikes as being about 15-20km too far N...unless that is, there's a monster of a cell in central Armagh. I'd be pretty confident the cluster on the map currently is the cell just S of Dundalk.
    I thought it ranged it spot on in the end.At least next time it should be closer.Just replayed the archive of your 2 cells and it takes time and the more strikes for calibration to adjust but it got there.

137 strikes in total from them 2 cells.Good storms by all accounts.

Looks like there's a beefy shower down towards Gorey on the 19:00 radar, anyone down that direction ? ..Tristrame?

Okay I combined 4 shots into this one with some mucking about in PS...to give you an idea of the scope of the cloud, it spanned the roofs of six houses in that; the base of the cloud would have been about 10 miles south at that stage.

3200*1200~ px

Good thunderstorm here last night around 5am. First strike i saw struck right down on a bouy in Lough Swilly beside where we are staying. Must've been less than 1km away. Winds are very strong here as well. Sunny and bright now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

There was an amateur weather chap on Newstalk 106 this morning from Donegal. He was saying that we're in for an Indian summer setup because of fog on the mountains and he saw a stork going up a mountain.

So, just stay away from the drinking water up there. There must be something in it. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement