Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

squonk wrote:
    Hi Kippure! Always nice to have someone new on here! You picked a good day to join! Plenty going on!

Just constant rain here. Snowbie's lightening detector showed a flash just nearby by the looks of it out at sea but I didn't hear any thunder here. It's a bit disappointing so far. Hopefuly it'll be a case of the night being young yet!

Thanks, raining here,dark skies, Waiting to see a big flash of lightening and a thunderous bang bang...

Tristrame wrote:
    Migrated from netweather have we :D

Welcome!
    Kippure is in wicklow by the way ;)

Sort of I like to call them the dublin foothills, behind marley park.

Got it, a huge rumble, didnt see any lightening yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Tristrame wrote:
    Migrated from netweather have we :D

Welcome!
    Kippure is in wicklow by the way ;)
    Debatable;)

See you followed my link on NW to here Kippure.I always thought you where under a different name here also but that answers my question now.

EDit:Flash directly overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Tristrame wrote:
    I thought I was going to escape here in the south of the county trogdor :D

Low booming from a storm to the north east moving away to sea and theres another one west of croghan mt.
    The sky is black and carved.
    Nah, we can't have that. It's probably the same storm. Usually you're reporting thunder before me, makes a nice change:D

Welcome Kippure:)

trogdor wrote:
    Nah, we can't have that. It's probably the same storm. Usually you're reporting thunder before me, makes a nice change:D

Welcome Kippure:)

Hello:D
    Just rain now.

• Advertisement

Rain not entirely heavy here from that dead cell that was over rc28 and Gonzo.Just persistent.

trogdor wrote:
    Indeed!
    Did I hear you had a video?
    Post up a link!
    Put it on TWO aswell if you can as Bren is on a chase and it looks like you had more luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

545pm thunderstorm over Stamullen, Co Meath. Decent number of rumbles and some big flashes within the clouds. Lasted 25mins prolly. Nice way to finish off the holiday weekend :D

Its dying away now, brightening up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

any of you weather kids got any tips for capturing lightening on camera (still shot) ?

It pissed down fairly heavy here this afternoon and I took a few shots of the rain bouncing off the ground / trees / sheds but twice I missed capturing a fork of lightening by about a second :(

Is their anyway way you can time the lightening strike to within a few seconds if I was to put the camera on repeat capture mode or is it just pure chance if you manage to capture a strike?

Also what's the prediction for after dark in the north west dublin area for tonight? I'm kinda frustrated now and want to get my lightening shot.

• Advertisement

Surrounded by Thunder now.

It's coming to get me :D

Very loud rumbles from a storm in the Gorey-Courtown direction-the arc of that little system is curving in a wall right round out to sea and hooking back into a cell east of arklow.
    No rain here as we're in an eye.
    The main activity seems to be in the fierce black cloud East and south east of Gorey.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0806/6news_av.html?2276993,null,230

The weather forecast, showers dying out soon,:(

Look at that radar though!

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/latest_radar.gif

In the northwest flow thats heading straight to me :eek:
    I've already heard a few more booms!

Heading out to do some work now I'll report back later.

Wooooah! more lightning and thunder-time to switch off methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

We want pics....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

squonk wrote:
    Mike65... loved the King Crimson link. Nothing like a bit of prog!

Got my hands on The Construkction of Light - love it! boards Crimson chat here

:)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Sky to the east and south is extremely dark, it looks like it's about to bucket down any moment now. Just had a look at the radar, everything is now over the east and south east.

Welcome to boards Kippure, I always wondered why you were only on Netweather.

rc28 wrote:
    Sky to the east and south is extremely dark, it looks like it's about to bucket down any moment now. Just had a look at the radar, everything is now over the east and south east.

Welcome to boards Kippure, I always wondered why you were only on Netweather.

Thanks, gettin dark here again, had a glimspe of sun light, now it looks like theres more on the way, Would nt mind seem some lightening at night.

Always on the net weather im addicted to it and the weather..never new there was a weather section here

Tristrame wrote:
    Indeed!
    Did I hear you had a video?
    Post up a link!
    Put it on TWO aswell if you can as Bren is on a chase and it looks like you had more luck :D
    I didn't get it, i saw the bolt and the camera was recording and pointing in it's direction, but when i looked back through the footage there was nothing, the sky didn't even light up

clown bag wrote:
    any of you weather kids got any tips for capturing lightening on camera (still shot) ?

It pissed down fairly heavy here this afternoon and I took a few shots of the rain bouncing off the ground / trees / sheds but twice I missed capturing a fork of lightening by about a second :(

Is their anyway way you can time the lightening strike to within a few seconds if I was to put the camera on repeat capture mode or is it just pure chance if you manage to capture a strike?

Also what's the prediction for after dark in the north west dublin area for tonight? I'm kinda frustrated now and want to get my lightening shot.
    Depends what type of camera you have, usually you have to be lucky to get a shot during the day anyway, and for the night-time photography you really need a DSLR, or if you have a good quality compact, at least a tripod.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53621323&postcount=68
    I captured a strike once before by simply waiting for a while with the camera pointed in storm's direction. The instant i saw a flash i hit the button. This method is even more hit an miss though, and if you have a compact camera that has a shutter lag(time between pressing the button and taking the picture then this is useless. You can also take continuous shots but i'd say this is the worst of the three as if it's not an extremely active storm, then your memory card will get filled up with useless pictures very fast:p The best way to capture a thunderstorm during the day is with a camcorder

• Advertisement

trogdor wrote:
    I didn't get it, i saw the bolt and the camera was recording and pointing in it's direction, but when i looked back through the footage there was nothing, the sky didn't even light up
    Drat!

There were quite a few cloud to cloud lightning strikes in straight lines in that storm south of here.
    The rain here peaked at 48.3mm/hr

All quiet now

Its getting rare these days to see a sat pic like this,some widespread explosive convection around with storms.

There seems to be a lot of rain still over west and south west wicklow.
    I can see a deluge spraying down over lug naquilla.
    I'd not like to be holding an umberella up in that :D (chances of being struck by lightning up there would be scarily high)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's funny how I managed to miss the heaviest showers during the afternoon. I was in Dundalk (inside shops) for much of the afternoon. I did see lightning some way south of Castlebellingham (anywhere from 3 to 15 miles, I only saw a tiny bit of the fork through trees) at about 5.20.

The clouds looked more menacing in the north in the early afternoon but were even worse again in the north county Dublin direction in the late afternoon. Inland convection for ya:rolleyes:

Excuse the off-topic bit, but what's the story with thunderstorms and showers tomorrow?? I heard forecasts earlier mentioning "north leinster" :mad: but they seem to be gone now. The fact is I haven't seen a 36-hour long dry spell since mid June and I need a change in luck!!

The forecasts is not bad for tuesday and wedensday.A few showers tomorrow but a ridge over us on wedensday.

Was'nt meant to be as severe today but GFS didnt pick up the upper cold pool and trough today which intensified the showers into more general storms and also gave hail in the showers.I recorded 300 strikes from the cells here in Dublin in one event.Quite a good display here with a few storm cells and along the eastern seaboard and one cell over in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes a very good innings today, with that one particularly good storm around 3pm with some really threatening skies and persistent thunder, i only actually saw 3 strikes of lightning while i heard dozens of thunder roars.

Around 6pm there was a very threatening cloud with an almost definable shelf on the front of the storm, unfortunately it didn't have any thunder in it just torrential and prolonged rain.

The ground got another good soaking today, after yesterdays 30mills surely another 30mills today here if not more.

This is a snapshot of another blokes detector in the US.Check out his max peak rate/min and the total strikes for the day.:eek:

Just a recap ours here today was 19/min max and 700strikes in total.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Kippure wrote:
    Thanks very much, didnt even know this place exsisted!

Looks like the skies are going to empty. Just waiting for that Big bang

We, well, well a NW refugee - Welcome!!

So you did not know boards existed?:eek: What planet do you live on man!?;)

BTW slight storm risk Friday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The GFS charts are pointing to a weak LP hovering about Ireland for the next few days. It looks showery allright.

Looking at Friday's charts, there's little suggesting thunderstorms that I can make out. Lifted index of 6 degrees. I'll be very suprised to see reports of thunderstorms, but I won't mind being proved wrong:p

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    We, well, well a NW refugee - Welcome!!

So you did not know boards existed?:eek: What planet do you live on man!?;)

BTW slight storm risk Friday.....
    Saturday and Sunday are looking good as well:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement