Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Tristrame wrote:
    Lots of dark walls and cb's around since noon.
    There have been a few quick sharp downpours nearby.
    In fact theres great structure/artistry to the clouds today.

(I feel so nerdy with this post)
    Get the camrea out then;) ;)
    Not been much around here today

I've actually loads of them in it at this stage and from florida too,if I could find the damn usb cable.
    One of the showers came near a few minutes ago and gave a short burst that didnt register.
    Another one around 3pm gave a lot of pools just a half mile away but nothing here.

Monday's looking interesting, negative Li values, 400-600 j/kg CAPE and some decent lift. If anything did form there could be localised floods given that the winds are so slack, making the showers very slow moving
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn486.png
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn4811.png
    Tristrame wrote:
    If I could find the damn usb cable.
    That's not much of an excuse:D :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Cape maxing out around the 400j/kg mark which is low enough for storms.Cant rule out the odd rumble today in the heavier showers but cant see anything too significant.

I thought the cape had to be high for storms(500 or higher and preferably above 600) and the LI low ie negative ?

[EDIT] Re reading what you said,your wording is ambigious snowbie-when you are saying "low enough for storms,you mean too low don't you? and not that Cape has to be low for storms which is what I got the first time I read it...and heres me thinking I was going funny in the head:D[/edit]

There might well be thunder in heavy showers today but the conditions going on the usually reliable 6-12 hour GFS more or less rules it out as being a smaller chance.
    It's more likely than in Britain though.
    It wouldn't be a day for chasing.

Rtavn1211.png

• Advertisement

To be certain for storms a cape over 600+ desirable and negative 3 LI.
    Even with cape at 400,the energy is there albeit low, lift is just negative so there is a small chance.Hilly areas aiding in lift with just enough surface warming could give a local pulse type storm(a few of rumbles) but as i said nothing too significant storm wise.

Cb's are around today though.
    Theres one overhead here and it's growing as you look at it-so heavy downpors are imminent.

Tristrame wrote:
    Cb's are around today though.
    Theres one overhead here and it's growing as you look at it-so heavy downpors are imminent.
    With the Nw wind and mountains your in a good location for them showers.Just have to wait and see if they become thundery.Only small cumulus here atm.

Dublin airport is reporting cb's in the last 30 minutes I see.

The wind here is southwest now which aids the progress in my direction of a convection train in the convergence zone from mount leinster northwards-but theres no convergence today (yet),though a southerly might cause it locally.
    SW is a good direction for showers in a fast flow though-if it veers south(like it's tending to do at times) It should remain dry here which would be no bad thing to be honest but the associated colder sea air interacting with those cbs inland might cause an sferic or three inland at the interaction points.
    The cb's are in the peppering of showers though so there may be a bang or two somewhere later

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We just had a tremendous downpour here from a seemingly pleasent morning, a speckling of sharp showers countrywise at the moment.

• Advertisement

Just back from Howth summit and is a perfect view of land convection and mountain convection going on.I didnt see the sky was blotted with CBs yet but they are building and towering from the NW.

First shower of the day here now.

No rain yet here, but cb's out to sea.
    EDIT: just looked out the other window, the one's over the mountains are massive!

Sferics in the North for an hour now, pushing South into Louth
    http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

T-storm out in dundalk bay right now...no flashes but some rumbles, Just after 10 minute heavy downpour....looking good for a hectic afternoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Very dark, heavy looking clouds to me W, just after having a drawn out rumble of thunder from that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Two massive downpours here and it's still raining, no thunder yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

2 big claps of thunder in past 5 minutes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'm hearing some loud rumbles of thunder outside now up in st. margarets

LoL

I always knew where there are cb's and showers combined,there's likely to be thunder regardless of what GFS says :D

I can see showers nerby with some belting rainfall out of them.
    They are very narrow showers.
    I'm expecting rumbles from one or two of them now given what the rest of ye are reporting.

A whole rake of Cbs to my north.Some excellent formations.

Edit:now with a few flashes

• Advertisement

Thunder to my north now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

some really bad thunder and lightning above me now. only like 3 seconds between lightning and thunder. and regular flashes every minute or so. been like this about 10 mins at this stage. it's also pissing rain.

Its exploded into life around here now,rumbles are continuos with a cell moving directly overhead in a mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Few rumbles of thunder here now. No flashes that I can see, very dark skies though.

One cell just circa 2 miles to my northeast

1 to my west

kinda bit close for conver
    tunsure of where the centre is

Hail falling now

mind log off

One cell just circa 2 miles to my northeast

1 to my west

kinda bit close for conver
    tunsure of where the centre is
    Aye agree,but thunder is much louder here so is coming close.

Well this is a welcomed surprise:D

Edit:tracking 2 cells in the north county dublin area.Still a couple of flashes to my west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

thunder lightening torrential rain and very dark in dublin 9 right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

moving your way snowbie i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Dumping it in Town, D1 right now. Not much T&L but plenty of rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement