Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W.S.O.P FREE LINKS Final Table ...2 Found

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Ah come on lads, the religous slant is crazy. It's gambling, ffs. GAMBLING! But I hope Lloyd is right, and it does help change peoples opinions (i.e. the people that matter) in the US.

In saying that, Yang absolutely deserved to win. Fair play to him.

LOL at people saying the last hand was a bad beat. He got the money in ahead, didn't he.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

but he hit on teh last card Lloyd!!!! Bad beat!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ah come on lads, the religous slant is crazy. It's gambling, ffs. GAMBLING! .

FTW!....God helped him through one of the most high profile events in an activity forbidden by the bible...says it all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

The-Rigger wrote:
    but he hit on teh last card Lloyd!!!! Bad beat!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

so, Mr. Rigger....

I believe you won the game in the red cow about 2 months ago after being down to just 1k in cihps.....or half the big blind..........

do u not think this was down to God looking over you and making all the correct decisions for you with your little ik chip

and divine intervention from making you do anything stupid:p :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

NH GOD.....WP

zuutroy wrote:
    FTW!....God helped him through one of the most high profile events in an activity forbidden by the bible...says it all

The lord (makes)moves in mysterious ways ftw.
    The Al Lad wrote:
    so, Mr. Rigger....

I believe you won the game in the red cow about 2 months ago after being down to just 1k in cihps.....or half the big blind..........

do u not think this was down to God looking over you and making all the correct decisions for you with your little ik chip

and divine intervention from making you do anything stupid:p :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

NH GOD.....WP

I think it was me cause I'm great :D

joking, praise Allah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭ligger

Its not like he was short of a few quid before he won ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Yang

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Brayruit

Giving 10% of winnings to charity is great - good luck to him

Saying it publicly comes across as a bit crass, but it's the heat of the moment.... and maybe others will do the same as a result, so while it grates a bit, "stfu" is a bit strong?

From what I watched he generally played the big stack well so good luck to him on that front too

Implying that God chose him to win and gave him those suck outs is really a bit moronic - as is suggesting that people should be praying for him over the other players. But again, maybe it's heat of the moment stuff and forgivable

It is also entirely illogical to attibute the win to God. If he had been knocked out at level 1 on day 1 would he think that God had decided he wasn't worthy or wasn't giving enough to charity. Does he think that he was the most "deserving" from 6,500 people... or 9 people at the FT for that matter. But hey, not really that big a deal that his faith is IMO misdirected.

I generally agree with Rigger's points (the interview annoyed me in the same way), but suggest that he gives Yang a break and reasesses tomorrow, next week, next month...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Brayruit

ligger wrote:

Wrong Yang!

EDIT: just noticed the ;)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

ligger wrote:

Its a different guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Yang_%28poker_player%29

LOL!....Tired from being up all night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

6500 started
    He won.

And hes a really nice guy that lives his life the best he can.

If he beleives in god then good for him. It worked.
    A great champion and person

lmfao, from what ive been reading he is far from a great champion, quite the opposite in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Just read this in an interview of his:
    What do you do for a living and will tommorow be your last day on the job?

"I am a psychologist and a social worker. I work with foster kids providing therapy and making sure they are being placed in a good home.
    My plan when I go back home is to sit down with my boss, the owner of the company, and my gut feeling at this point is I think there are better purposes for me out there and I want to use the money to do some good."

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he's probably a better guy than 99% of the poker players who played in the WSOP this year. And as silly and even midly offensive as it may be to our secular sensibilities, the guy is from a culture which has a very different view of the relationship between God and luck as we do. Many oriental cultures view luck in gambling as solely determined by fate and God, there is even an aspect of divination in it.

I stopped watching at the dinner break 4 handed, but he appeared to play the best game for his ability at the table all night up to that. He may not have been the best technical player there (or even close) but he played a very good aggressive game, unlike most of the nits there. It will be interesting to see the hole cards, he says he had good hands early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

zuutroy wrote:

yeah it says gambling is forbidden, its right there next to where it says to eat fish on good friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Goremount

He went way over the top with all the god **** but after watching it for about10 hours u couldnt help but admire the guy, he was relentless and played a much better game than the rest except maybe the russian.
    Now i am off to mass...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭BobSloane

I watched a few hours in the middle when it was four handed and must have missed alot of the God stuff. As others have said he seemed to have played the best of what was there. I thought he came across well enough in this interview afterwards
    http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/wsoptv/index.asp?vd=1713&fid=7&aff=1&v=MAINeventWinnerJerryYang.wmv&txtQueryDate=

A bit of humility instead of the usual poker champ arrogance. As for the charity stuff, in the few hours i watched, phil gordon must have mentioned his bad beat on cancer thing at least a hundred thousand times. Everyone knows about Greensteins tournament winnings generosity - where's the harm?

And this could well be good for poker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

As long as pokerbrat didn't win then I'm happy. Did anyone see him crashing the sports car? What a twat.

sikes wrote:
    yeah it says gambling is forbidden, its right there next to where it says to eat fish on good friday.

Seems you're right! Where did I get that idea. Hotspur's post put it very well and has brought me around somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭mrflash

As long as pokerbrat didn't win then I'm happy. Did anyone see him crashing the sports car? What a twat.
    dont think there are too many people that would disagree that he is a twat at the poker table, but he is probably the best holdem tournament player today, allen cunningham is up there as well, but he has 11 wsop bracelets, and he is still young enough to win another 11.

i wouldnt be surprised if it was staged, and look at the amount of advertisements he had on his racing gear. you gotta give it to the man, he knows how to make money.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

"Pweeese Lode, I will Gwowify Yo Naaame!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭mrflash

to be fair to the guy, he played a great tournament, i was watching updates all week, and he played a short stack from 27th to virtually the final table, and came to that table with the reputation of being the weakest player left. then he comes out of the blocks like ben johnson on his best drugs, and absolutely stunned the rest of the table, they couldnt make out if he had a hand or not, and every time someone got careless, he was there to punish them. i think he played great, its easy to say he got lucky a couple of times, but it balanced out, he got sucked out on as well a few times.

theres all types of poker players, some just pure evil, some devoutly religious, i think he charity is better than the monkey one lee watkinson was promoting. i mean, come on, better homes for monkeys. as a matter of fact he made a pure monkey of himself when he moved all his chips in with a7, or whatever his silly kicker was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I don't think it's possible to tell yet exactly how well or bad he played until all the hole cards are shown. I'm leaning towards very bad because of the few hands that I saw shown, like the massive overcall with A9, the overpush with J8 where Childs made a great call with KJ and got horribly unlucky. Also the re re raise all-in with A3 and no chips committed to the pot when he was tilting before the final table and dogged pocket Kings.

Like Gold the year before Yang found himself in many fortunate situations, gota huge card rush early on, won all his races, and got lucky also. He also benefited enormously from the best players at the table playing terribly against him, particularly watknison and Hilm who both had enormous blow-ups.

It's hard to believe but Gold is probably 10 times the player Yang is. Yang looked to me like he was just gasping for air with every hand but somehow kept slithering through a hole in the net. Once when facing a raise from that wierdo with the beardo Yang called and went to turn his cards over not realising he wasn't calling an all in.

All this aside I agree with most of what Hotspur said. He's a good guy who just went and played to win and I wouldn't want to take anything away from him. I guess I'd just feel much happier if skill and not luck won over on the day, but as the saying goes, "That's Poker!".

Also as LuckyLloyd pointed out, Yang winning will be fantastic for poker world wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Blip

John2:13 - 16

13When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14In the temple courts he found men selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16To those who sold doves he said, "Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father's house into a market!"

Now aparently the money exchangers where actully playing NLH and asked the Lord if they gave 10% winnings to the poor and praised his name would it be ok to continue the game, and it was! so this has been going on for thousands of years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Hindsight

For someone who comes across so humble and soft spoken in the post match interview it was plain aggression that took it down for Jerry Yang. His final table strategy starting 8th in chips was essentially transparent. Get in early, mix it up and put his opponents to the test. Everyone knew what he was at, the fact that he was playing so many hands essentially made Hilm believe Yang didn't have the cards in the crucial hand he lost to him. In some of the others well luck favours the guy who isn't covered in the all-in.

In contrast to other players his aggression was never verbal and always via the chip stack. Even the small number of family members he had supporting him from early were quiet and respectful. Giving 10% to charity is great publicity for the game.

You can find some final table photos in my blog link to the left.

Hindsight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

NickyOD wrote:
    won all his races, and got lucky also

He certainly didn't win all of his races.
    He doubled up Kravchenko when he had Kq vs threes.
    Lam(b) got another life line when his 43 held up against Jerry's A9 and
    the tilty south african won a 30 million odd pot when his AQ took out Yangs Queens.
    I'd say he lost a good 30 million chips from losing "races" at the final table.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think he played well. I was particularly impressed with the way he handled the races he lost. Never seemed to affect him in the slightest. This is becoming an annual event now to belittle the WSOP winner. Lets get over it and be happy for the guy. I don't like alot of what he said re. the big guy upstairs but so be it. I hoped he would say something along the lines of "God gave me the strength do it" and left it at that but his God talk became somewhat surreal after a while. I've said it in my last Vegas blog post. Out of 6500 players he wasn't the only guy praying to God over the last 2 weeks.

Jerry was just the chosen one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement