Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling DVDs Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I'm just over halfway through the London & Kendrick shoot and it is essential viewing for comedy value alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Is the John Cena three disc DVD worth 15quid to a non-Cena fan? I don't mind the guy and I've avoided him a bit so wouldn't mind having a closer look at some of his better matches, assuming the DVD shines a well lit light on the guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

WWE is currently developing a DVD set of the whole first year of Raw..

Source?

If it's true I dread how much it'll be. There must be about 40 hrs which is what some of the full anthology sets where and they were well over a hundred quid. RAW in 1993 wasn't very good at all. Not every match had a storyline or angle tied to it, most of the time it was just a match for the hell of it! RAW didn't get good until late 1996. There were good matches before that but a whole episode that would've been good was rare.

I was gutted when I saw that Anniversary set because it was missing so so much not to mention the blurring of the attitude logo. I thought if they'd have split it up into a three or four disc set for each era then that'd have been really good. So 1993-1996, 1997-2000 and on and on.

Source?

If it's true I dread how much it'll be. There must be about 40 hrs which is what some of the full anthology sets where and they were well over a hundred quid. RAW in 1993 wasn't very good at all. Not every match had a storyline or angle tied to it, most of the time it was just a match for the hell of it! RAW didn't get good until late 1996. There were good matches before that but a whole episode that would've been good was rare.

I was gutted when I saw that Anniversary set because it was missing so so much not to mention the blurring of the attitude logo. I thought if they'd have split it up into a three or four disc set for each era then that'd have been really good. So 1993-1996, 1997-2000 and on and on.

WWE magazine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Artwork for the new Steamboat DVD: http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=47217
    41YnaFTntCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

US release is June 29th.

WWE magazine
    Good stuff.

As I mentioned.. I'd love to see a full set of late 1996-1998 of RAW. after '98 was still good but I think that period when Bret became heel, Austin became face/tweener and Michaels edged in and out of wrestling was just perfect.

The next Tagged Classic from Silvervision is the NWO Back in Black coupled with Diesel/Razor Ramon.....

WTC065-front.jpg

Big Daddy Cool Diesel

[*]Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels

[*]Diesel vs. Bret ‘Hitman’ Hart

[*]Diesel vs. Jeff Jarrett

[*]Diesel vs. King Kong Bundy

[*]Diesel vs. Owen Hart

Oozing Machismo! Razor Ramon

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

[*]Battle Royal

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Rick ‘The Model’ Martel

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Crush

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Adam Bomb

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Irwin R Schyster

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Jeff Jarrett

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Yokozuna

Good stuff.

As I mentioned.. I'd love to see a full set of late 1996-1998 of RAW. after '98 was still good but I think that period when Bret became heel, Austin became face/tweener and Michaels edged in and out of wrestling was just perfect.

The next Tagged Classic from Silvervision is the NWO Back in Black coupled with Diesel/Razor Ramon.....

WTC065-front.jpg

Big Daddy Cool Diesel

[*]Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels

[*]Diesel vs. Bret ‘Hitman’ Hart

[*]Diesel vs. Jeff Jarrett

[*]Diesel vs. King Kong Bundy

[*]Diesel vs. Owen Hart

Oozing Machismo! Razor Ramon

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

[*]Battle Royal

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Rick ‘The Model’ Martel

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Crush

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Adam Bomb

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Irwin R Schyster

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Jeff Jarrett

[*]Razor Ramon vs. Yokozuna

Its an interesting idea to have the whole year of episodes (Id presume if it sells well they'd do the 2nd 3rd and so on) but id personally much rather the first year of Nitro than Raw to be honest...

The tagged classic are seriously awesome although i wasnt much of a fan of the NWO dvd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

The tagged classic are seriously awesome although i wasnt much of a fan of the NWO dvd

Agreed i have built a big collection of ppv's for little expense. King of the Ring 99 and 2000 on offer at silvervision just now for £8.99.

Is "The spectular legacy of the awa" worth getting? I see thats on offer at £8.99 too.

davrho wrote: »
        Agreed i have built a big collection of ppv's for little expense. King of the Ring 99 and 2000 on offer at silvervision just now for £8.99.

Is "The spectular legacy of the awa" worth getting? I see thats on offer at £8.99 too.

Its pretty good.. The documentary itself is not too WWE biased which is always good

• Advertisement

Its an interesting idea to have the whole year of episodes (Id presume if it sells well they'd do the 2nd 3rd and so on) but id personally much rather the first year of Nitro than Raw to be honest...

The Tagged classics aren't flawless. The artwork is horrid - they put in the WW scratch logo on stuff pre-ATtitude era where the original release had the block logo which isn't banned. The whole grey thing is awful as well as the layout on the back of the box. The menus in them are again not very nice. Then there's the forced warnings and ads. There;s also been some problems with the transfer where the video picture comes out looking crap. SummerSlam 98 quality is really bad.

Aside from all that yeah they're good :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Source?

The first year of RAW wouldn't take up too mant discs as it was only on ehour shows and not even for a full year. Not sure how they'd manage a full year of 52 2 hour episodes though. Probably end up doing highlights or something equally horrid. Full sets are readily available in the right polaces anyway.

flahavaj wrote: »
        The first year of RAW wouldn't take up too mant discs as it was only on ehour shows and not even for a full year. Not sure how they'd manage a full year of 52 2 hour episodes though. Probably end up doing highlights or something equally horrid. Full sets are readily available in the right polaces anyway.
        The first year of RAW was 46 episodes which were an hour with ad breaks I assume. that'd be about 30hrs which is long enough. For 30hrs that box set won't be any cheaper than about €60 probably more.

I don't actually know where to get full RAW sets but I reckon the quality would be total rubbish so not worth the punt as far as I'm concerned.

The thing with the 1993 RAWs that I said, they were pretty crap. Look at the matches:
        http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/results/raw/1993.php

The champion didn't always appear on the show let alone wrestle on it. I'd agree about the Nitro. The full Monday Night Wars week for week in a few box sets would be amazing especially as the quality would be pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The first year of RAW was 46 episodes which were an hour with ad breaks I assume. that'd be about 30hrs which is long enough. For 30hrs that box set won't be any cheaper than about €60 probably more.

I don't actually know where to get full RAW sets but I reckon the quality would be total rubbish so not worth the punt as far as I'm concerned.

The thing with the 1993 RAWs that I said, they were pretty crap. Look at the matches:
        http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/results/raw/1993.php

The champion didn't always appear on the show let alone wrestle on it. I'd agree about the Nitro. The full Monday Night Wars week for week in a few box sets would be amazing especially as the quality would be pretty good.

Agreed that RAW 93 was p*ss poor.

But you'd be surprised at the quality of some of the sets floating about. The serious traders are picky about VQ to the point of over obsession, so between them all they've managed to cobble together some really good stuff.

Well as I said, I'd love the 1995/1996 RAWs for nostalgia and then the 1997-1999 ones for the sheer quality of the show. We didn't have Sky Sports so I rarely saw it in full and uncensored. Same with Nitro which I hardly ever saw any of aside from in the Summer of '96 when Bravo/TNT was somehow beamed into our house for free!

I'd imagine a "Best of Nitro" boxset is on WWE's list of things to do and there'll be a hack documentary tacked on as well.

In fact, WWE releasing this 1993 set of RAW is probably in response to the DVD-r sets that people are buying/downloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

The Tagged classics aren't flawless. The artwork is horrid - they put in the WW scratch logo on stuff pre-ATtitude era where the original release had the block logo which isn't banned. The whole grey thing is awful as well as the layout on the back of the box. The menus in them are again not very nice. Then there's the forced warnings and ads. There;s also been some problems with the transfer where the video picture comes out looking crap. SummerSlam 98 quality is really bad.

Aside from all that yeah they're good :p

Or maybe they remind of us of the pissed drunk good old days of 98 when the house was full of fanatics going mental at 3am to the rock v hhh or Stone Cold v Taker. Who cared about presentation.

Agree with your post though. Not going to complain though with getting these for less than a fiver per ppv.

This post is half in jest but I hope some remember where i am coming from

Ah my only problem is that the tagged classics aren't complete enough for the collector due to them skimping on the artwork and cutting out the "Countdown to" segments from some of them as well as some dodgy transfers like on SummerSlam 1998 which is unwatchable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah my only problem is that the tagged classics aren't complete enough for the collector due to them skimping on the artwork and cutting out the "Countdown to" segments from some of them as well as some dodgy transfers like on SummerSlam 1998 which is unwatchable.

I'm very grateful for the tagged classics series. Only problem is that they still edit out some entrance themes (check out the later Royal Rumble releases).....at least there isn't huge blurry boxes and and some jerk on the mute button every time someone says WWF...which happens alot...

Feel for any potential US collectors!!

I can't imagine that any 'new' WWE release won't be butchered to shreds. They have the option of not butchering the non-American releases, but don't bother their ass.

That said, Vince is the guy who'd rather blur out parts of the best part of his company's history and have The Fink re-voice entrances, than pay off some Panda-lovers a couple of million to keep the name.

Erm... the tagged classics are straight re-releases of whatever tape was released at the time so if the original release from WWF Home Video/Coliseum and Silvervision didn't have the entrance then the Tagged Classics won't. The Anthologies now are missing the original entrance themes.

And I think WWF tried to pay off the pandas but they wildlife crowd wouldn't accept. It was an awful confusing saga and I've never really read full transcripts of what exactly happened and what was agreed to and what agreement was broken. All I know is that the main problem was the WWF.com domain name. Censoring the attitude scratch logo was just sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

If anyone's in Cork City, the Director's Cut store (the one next to Argos) have brought in a load of WWE PPV's and some 3 Disc DVD's (I saw the Rey Rey and Hogan 1 in there) and have a 3 for 2 special on most of them. Worth a look if you're around town

Still waiting for them to get in the "Best of CM Punk" in RoH DVD

• Advertisement

If anyone's in Cork City, the Director's Cut store (the one next to Argos) have brought in a load of WWE PPV's and some 3 Disc DVD's (I saw the Rey Rey and Hogan 1 in there) and have a 3 for 2 special on most of them. Worth a look if you're around town

Still waiting for them to get in the "Best of CM Punk" in RoH DVD
        Ah wow deadly. How much?
        I'm not in Cork, up in stinky Dublin :( You never get deals here as we pretty much only have HMV. Golden Discs sometimes get in a few. At the minute they've got Rey Little Big Man for €9, WrestleMania III, WM24 and 25.

Ah wow deadly. How much?
        I'm not in Cork, up in stinky Dublin :( You never get deals here as we pretty much only have HMV. Golden Discs sometimes get in a few. At the minute they've got Rey Little Big Man for €9, WrestleMania III, WM24 and 25.

Most of the PPV's (inc a few Mania's) are for €16 afaik so that'd be 3 for €32.

Same here in Cork. Its only HMV that really sells wrestling DVD's. Golden Disc's stopped selling them some time last year (I think I was the only one pre-booking them and then they stopped). Picked up Royal Rumble 2010 blu-ray for €22 today:D:D:D

Why would you buy a wrestling bluray ?:confused: "Oooh look! John Cena's pecks in highdefinition" :p

3 DVDs for €32 is alright I suppose. That's about what Silvervisions PPV DVDs do be on sale for. I've amassed a pretty decent collcetion of PPVs and DVDs from Gamestop second hand. ECW Most Extreme Matches in a four for €10 :cool:

Why would you buy a wrestling bluray ?:confused: "Oooh look! John Cena's pecks in highdefinition" :p

3 DVDs for ?32 is alright I suppose. That's about what Silvervisions PPV DVDs do be on sale for. I've amassed a pretty decent collcetion of PPVs and DVDs from Gamestop second hand. ECW Most Extreme Matches in a four for ?10 :cool:

Personal choice. I always watch WWE programmes (Raw, SD, NXT, Superstars) in HD if it's available. I've Mania 24 & 25, Royal Rumble 09 & 10 and SummerSlam 09 all on BluRa.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its shot in hd so it should be watched in hd, simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

krudler wrote: »
        Its shot in hd so it should be watched in hd, simples.

Not really.

- Satan's Prison - The Anthology of the Elimination Chamber is another new DVD release slated for 7/13.

- Satan's Prison - The Anthology of the Elimination Chamber is another new DVD release slated for 7/13.
        Bit of a risque title surely? When's the last time there was blood in an EC match? 2008?

I dont think risky is quite the right word for it .. Sh*te is way more apt

• Advertisement
      • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Plus any EC matches Ive seen have been total pish.

Advertisement