Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British terrorist threat - Is it only a matter of time here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

DaveMcG wrote:
    What's the talk from the Islamic world about Shannon? I can't help but feel as though it's just us having an inflated sense of self-importance. Sure, we're somewhat complicit in the war, but we're not actively taking part in it, and we're an insignificant country in terms of international politics. I can't imagine that fundamentalists have much of an interest in attacking Ireland. Sure, all the lebrechauns would be killed then!

Anybody who frequents Islamic boards ever see talk about Shannon?

They wouldnt certainly talk about here if they were. You never know what mad man would take offence to Shannon being used as a stop off by the US

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Don't waste money on anti-terrorism. Close Shannon to the US military and lend no support to their Middle Eastern and African campaigns/interventions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I never mentioned Shannon as I think it is completely irrelevant. My viewpoint would be that we are next to a big country that is getting its very own 'home grown' terrorists nowadays (yes I know - like growing assparagus or something) and we are a very weak target.

philstar wrote:
    then again they could fly a plane into liberty hall....and do us all a favour ;)
    (what a hideous looking building)

Would speed up SIPTU's rebuilding of it but many of them would probrably die in the process:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

darkman2 wrote:
    I never mentioned Shannon as I think it is completely irrelevant. My viewpoint would be that we are next to a big country that is getting its very own 'home grown' terrorists nowadays (yes I know - like growing assparagus or something) and we are a very weak target.
    Oh, christ on a bicycle! Not assparagus!
    Send your bombs!
    Send your madmen!
    Just not assparagus!

[sic]

• Advertisement

We are weak in the sence that we dont have the armary of the UK. I dont think Ireland would be used for anything more than a base to conduct operations from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

darkman2 wrote:
    Shannon is the only thing that I'd see as relevent when considering any Islamic terrorist threat to Ireland. I don't really see what else we've done that would warrant us significantly increasing our security level. We're not exactly big players in international politics. TBH I'm more concerned with the gang shootings that seem to be happening every few days in this country.
    stepbar wrote:
    We are weak in the sence that we dont have the armary of the UK. I dont think Ireland would be used for anything more than a base to conduct operations from.

Indeed. That's what I'd pay more attention to. Not people attacking us, but people using Ireland to get at the UK.

stepbar wrote:

Yes im sure our European Neighbours would look on with curious fascination and benevolence whilst we know and allow terrorists to plot mass murder in their countries and they would not give a fig:rolleyes: If thats the case we better start building a big army now and buy some nukes aswell:rolleyes:

Yeah but TBH our police force cant be everywhere. All we can do is make sure that people coming to our country are propertly documented. The guards can only do so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Karoma wrote:
    Heh. A few more European countries shall sleep better tonight after you've suddenly removed all threat. <O.

Do you think they'd honestly bomb Ireland? From a political view-would it not be a bad thing for themselves? They'd turn so many more people against themselves in America, and other countries, Shirley?

I agree, an attack on Ireland would destroy the strong support that Al Quaeda has in the Irish neighbourhoods of New York :confused:

So far the UK and Spain have been hit. From memory attacks have been foiled in France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Denmark, possibly Belgium. Dont leave a whole pile of actively supporting countries on the plan list.

As said though is it an issue? Ive yet to see Irish flags burning at a foreign demo.

• Advertisement

Tha Gopher wrote:

Ive yet to see Irish flags burning at a foreign demo.

Ever been up the North on July 12th:D ;) Though you dont see many Muslims there luckily enough;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

darkman2 wrote:
    If thats the case we better start building a big army now and buy some nukes aswell:rolleyes:
    It would have to be an enviromentally friendly alternative to Nukes, i'm sure the terrorists would underatand our Green Party's concerns.:D

galwayrush wrote:
    It would have to be an enviromentally friendly alternative to Nukes, i'm sure the terrorists would underatand our Green Party's concerns.:D

Yes John Gormley will sort them all out...

How about potatoe bombs.........im sure they exist......somewhere

darkman2 wrote:
    Ever been up the North on July 12th:D ;) Though you dont see many Muslims there luckily enough;)

Note the words "foreign demos"

*sticks on some wolfe tones at full blast, begins drunken shouting*

tiocfaidh ar la, brits out, saoirse na hEireann etc etc.......

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Note the words "foreign demos"

*sticks on some wolfe tones at full blast, begins drunken shouting*

tiocfaidh ar la, brits out, saoirse na hEireann etc etc.......

Up ya boy ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

darkman2 wrote:
    How about potatoe bombs

And dont forget the spud guns. It's ages since i seen one of those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spud_Gun.jpg

darkman2 wrote:
    Yes John Gormley will sort them all out...

How about potatoe bombs.........im sure they exist......somewhere
    Organic. Not imported of course, and the GM ones are a definate no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well, there have been about 14 bomb attacks here in Dublin & Limerick in the last 3 weeks or so, just grenades and pipe bombs exploding outside houses and schools.
    Does that count as a terrorist threat?...not Islamist though :D

It can easily be done here, anyone can drive a car up to the airport entrance like in Glasgow with sinister intentions, not much of a visible armed Garda presence there at times.

I think the only thing holding them back here is that we dont have a huge Muslim population(yes i say the un-PC word) to draw a significant number of extremists from the ranks to carry out a campaign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

darkman2 wrote:
    Part of the British problem with terrorists is more than likely related to their support of the US and involvement in Iraq? How can you talk terrorism in isolation from that part of the world community that supports it? One way the Brits have discovered terrorist citizens in their own land was by tracing them back to trips to the Middle East to be trained...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ayahuarian

To be honest, this thread is a little retarded. There (to my recollection) has never been a terrorist bombing or bombing threat (IRA excluded) in Ireland. Mainly because we're neutral and don't stick our nose in other people's business, especially if it's dirty work (Iraq). There's no reason for them to attack here, they like Irish people (Like most people around the world, we're just the lovable alcoholic leprechauns!)

• Advertisement

One area that mustn't be overlooked is the huge American commercial intrests here, Intel, google to name just two.

These businesses would make very soft targets should they change tactics and attack commercial sites rather than city centres. They have changed tactics several times in recent years.

Americans (& Brits) are targets anywhere thay may be on the planet, these terrorists don't care about killing others as long as a few "targets" are hit.

Neutral? Shannon is one of the main connection/refueling points for US military aircraft headed to and from the Middle East.

Does the US even need Shannon or are we doing it as a gesture? They could just as easily do their refuelling and transfers at northern or UK airfields surely.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Does the US even need Shannon or are we doing it as a gesture? They could just as easily do their refuelling and transfers at northern or UK airfields surely.
    It does help keep American factories here.
    If we pissed off Bush ( and i think he's a real asshole) ALL he has to do is introduce a punitive tax on any money earned by American firms here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Islamist Terrorists/Jihadists striking here would be like them striking Canada. All the same effort to strike their real enemies' neighbours? Not worth it, surely. Right here is probably the safest place to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Tha Gopher wrote:
    I agree, an attack on Ireland would destroy the strong support that Al Quaeda has in the Irish neighbourhoods of New York

al quaeda has strong support amongst the irish in new york??....well thats a first for me

philstar wrote:
    al quaeda has strong support amongst the irish in new york??....well thats a first for me
    Think he was being sarcastic / cynical.;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ayahuarian wrote:
    To be honest, this thread is a little retarded. There (to my recollection) has never been a terrorist bombing or bombing threat (IRA excluded) in Ireland.

Monaghan Bombings. Dublin Bombings. The Royal George in Limerick. All were terrorist bombings performed by extra-territorial organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Tha Gopher wrote:
    I agree, an attack on Ireland would destroy the strong support that Al Quaeda has in the Irish neighbourhoods of New York :confused:
    Gotta love that mentality- it's all black & white.
    There are a lot of people in America that are anti-war...

why am I even bothering? Am I bovvered? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

And thrill, where you got that image makes reference to "Pneumatic Potato Canons". Scary stuff ;):D

Advertisement