Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British terrorist threat - Is it only a matter of time here?

Options
  • 30-06-2007 10:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Should we be concerned about terrorist threat level to Britain atm? Is it time we upped our act and stopped living in denial that eventually such a threat will reach our shores as it has done most European countries. How many of you think Islamic extremists would be so choosey as to make a distinction between ths country and the UK or any other western country? Its widely acknowledged within the European security agencies that Ireland is the weakest amongst them and needs to get its act together especially in the light of the scale of immigration here or will we learn the hard way how the real world works? Does anyone feel the Gardai are adequately equipped to deal with such threats? When you think about it all these loons in the UK have to do is hop on a boat to the easiest place to mount an operation in Europe imaginable. All of a sudden I get the impression we may be beginning to take our heads out of the sand and realise just how vulnerable we potentially are.

Do you agree/disagree with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

if anyone bombs us big, we are frakked.
    lets just have a good time at the present :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

List the 'other European countries that the threat has reached'.
    List the European countries allied with America in invading countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm sure there are cells operating from Ireland, but I don't think they would be bothered with attacking Ireland. I can't see any reason why, apart from Shannon (maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would'nt unduly concerned right now, wait 20-30 years though! ;)

Mike.

You could be right. Ireland has changed a good deal in 10 years. I hope in the next 10 that we learn from the mistakes in the UK and make sure they are not replicated here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The UK/Italy and Holland (I think) were involved in the invasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I think other countries are more of a priority for extremeists. I am very frustrated as to ''Updating security'' and all of this crap. There is one reason only that we could be attacked and that is Shannons use by the yanks.
    If that root cause is eliminated the Gardai don't have to worry about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I've heard people saying we'd get hit soon since the 7/7 bombings in London in 05. We haven't had a sniff of a threat here as far as i know. I think every time theres an attack across the water we'll have people speculating about when it's our turn. We'd be a pretty soft target though.

thrill wrote:
    I've heard people saying we'd get hit soon since the 7/7 bombings in london. We havent had a sniff of a threat here as far as i know. I think every time theres an attack across the water we'll have people speculating about when it's our turn. We'd be a pretty soft target though.

The Gardai are tracking known Al Queda symphitisers here, 14 I think was the number they know of - whats more as I said - all one of these loons has to do is realise how weak we are and just a get ferry from the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So what should we be expecting and what should we do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The terrorists will have to wait another few years until we have some infrastructure worth hitting.:rolleyes: Maybe that's the Goverment's means of protecting us.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

ireland gettin bombed by al quadea??.....its not beyond the bounds of possibility, with the shannon connection.

but then again if we were on their list it would have happened a long time ago i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Amazing, that back road around Dublin Airport, where the spectators park whats it called?
    Anyway, the fence is easily climb-overable or penetratable.
    Security me arse :rolleyes:

Yes; please, lead us dorkman2! Show no symphity!
    Please also try answering the second question...or did you already? :)

Increase Garda numbers to prop up intelligence gathering and
    ensure we are able to handle and co-ordinate a resonse to a serious terrorist incident. We have neither atm. No point in pretending we do. They would be what id look for urgently as they should be up to scratch anyway!

UK/Italy/Holland - I think.....Spain no longer involved in the invasion.

galwayrush wrote:
    The terrorists will have to wait another few years until we have some infrastructure worth hitting.:rolleyes: Maybe that's the Goverment's means of protecting us.:rolleyes:

QFT :D or at least til the metro is built (when ever that is....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Can't see it happening, we're hardly a priority for terrorists!

darkman2 wrote:
    The UK/Italy and Holland (I think) were involved in the invasion.
    Heh. A few more European countries shall sleep better tonight after you've suddenly removed all threat. <O.

Do you think they'd honestly bomb Ireland? From a political view-would it not be a bad thing for themselves? They'd turn so many more people against themselves in America, and other countries, Shirley?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

galwayrush wrote:

then again they could fly a plane into liberty hall....and do us all a favour ;)
    (what a hideous looking building)

• Advertisement

Last time I checked NATO itself inc most its member countries were not at war with Iraq. While NATO does not have a direct role in the international stabilisation force that has been in Iraq since May 2003, the Alliance is helping Iraq provide for its own security by training Iraqi military personnel, supporting the development of the country’s security institutions, and coordinating the delivery of equipment. Most NATO countries are not active in Iraq and dont want to be.

Karoma wrote:

Do you think they'd honestly bomb Ireland? From a political view-would it not be a bad thing for themselves? They'd turn so many more people against themselves in America, and other countries, Shirley?

Well all im saying is the country right next door, with which we have a common travel area, has a high terror threat. Would it not be at best irresponsible not to take that into account?

Why do the Irish think the rest of the world (or even just the USA) is waiting with baited breath for news about Ireland? If it happened here the reaction would'nt be much different to say that after July 7th 2005 or March 11th 2004

Mike.

Well, they have a 'high terror threat level', I'm not so sure they have a "high terror threat". But, that's just me being paranoid. Silly me.

Apples and oranges, baby. Apples and oranges.

Why do the Irish think the rest of the world (or even just the USA) is waiting with baited breath for news about Ireland? If it happened here the reaction would'nt be much different to say that after July 7th 2005 or March 11th 2004
    If that's aimed at my post: I didn't mean "with baited breath" -just that it would make some impact as (a) we're a mostly-neutral country, and (b) there is a significant number of voters that are emotionally attached to Ireland in other countries who would be swayed into supporting Bush and his War of Terror. It's a minor point, just as is Irish involvement in the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

stepbar wrote:
    QFT :D or at least til the metro is built (when ever that is....)

What about the Spire? Surely that would be high on the list of targets. The psychological damage to Dubliners would be immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Amazing, that back road around Dublin Airport, where the spectators park whats it called?
    Anyway, the fence is easily climb-overable or penetratable.
    Security me arse :rolleyes:

An Airport Police pickup drives past that fence every 5-10mins plus it only leaves you at the end of one runway, I can't see them with a bomb big enough to damage an airliner as its flying towards them at 160mph. They would need and RPG, Stinger or SA-7 type launcher to do damage to a fast moving airliner.

Won't there be rejoycing if the Spire gets spiked?

Mike.

thrill wrote:
    What about the Spire? Surely that would be high on the list of targets. The psycological damage to Dubliners would be immense.

I'd pay for someone to drive 10 diggers into it TBH

thrill wrote:
    What about the Spire? Surely that would be high on the list of targets. The psychological damage to Dubliners would be immense.
    Not to mention the physical damage caused by the Irish defence forces if they don't completely remove the thing first time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What's the talk from the Islamic world about Shannon? I can't help but feel as though it's just us having an inflated sense of self-importance. Sure, we're somewhat complicit in the war, but we're not actively taking part in it, and we're an insignificant country in terms of international politics. I can't imagine that fundamentalists have much of an interest in attacking Ireland. Sure, all the lebrechauns would be killed then!

Anybody who frequents Islamic boards ever see talk about Shannon?
    thrill wrote:

lol

Advertisement