Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Well that Sun article got who the 1st band playing there is wrong so maybe the whole thing is wrong! :pac:

Plus....has anyone looked at the o2's seating layout? I cant see how they're gonna do any boxing/MMA/wrestling etc shows there.
    Industry insiders today confirmed the UFC are looking at holding a show at Dublin's O2 Arena - which officially opens on December 21 when Coldplay headline the first show there.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Clive wrote: »
    Confirmed - Mick Leonard is fighting.

;)

rovert wrote: »

So the fact that I'll be there at a show 2 nights before on December 19th that is unofficial now is it? Make sure next time you rolleyes that it makes sene to do so:
    Industry insiders today confirmed the UFC are looking at holding a show at Dublin's O2 Arena - which officially opens on December 21 when Coldplay headline the first show there.

Reasonable to question the article given they got that wrong ;)

Neil, I dont know that its true, I just hope it is.

A report by Yahoo!’s EuroSport reveals that the UFC is close to finalizing arrangements that would bring the American-based promotion to Irish soil for the first time.

According to the report, UFC 93 could be scheduled for January 17 and emanate from the O2 Arena in Dublin, Ireland.

The UFC has yet to release an official comment regarding the report, which goes on to indicate that the show could be headlined by a light heavyweight bout featuring Rich Franklin possibly taking on either Chuck Liddell or Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

A grudge welterweight bout between Matt Hughes and Matt Serra is rumored as well.

If UFC 93 in Ireland becomes a reality, it would mean that the UFC’s planned Super Bowl weekend show in Las Vegas on Jan. 31 to be headlined by a welterweight showdown between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn would be re-numbered as UFC 94.

So the fact that I'll be there at a show 2 nights before on December 19th that is unofficial now is it?

No, but the offical opening is the Coldplay concert this shouldnt be hard to understand or comprehend.

• Advertisement

No, but the offical opening is the Coldplay concert this shouldnt be hard to understand or comprehend.

Possibly but it says "Coldplay headline the first show here" which is not true. This isn't rocket science.

Anyway it's a simple wording issue, nothing to get worked up about.

Anyway back to the point at hand, the layout, how they gonna do it?

Possibly but it says "Coldplay headline the first show here" which is not true. This isn't rocket science.

Anyway it's a simple wording issue, nothing to get worked up about.

Wording issue me hole the quote Ive been using is from the actual article:

They talk about being the offical opening BEFORE as you put it "Coldplay headline the first show here" in the same sentence.

You are totally wrong.

Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin (24-3 MMA, 11-2 UFC) could meet former PRIDE title-holder Dan Henderson (23-7 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at a UFC event tentatively scheduled for Jan. 17 in Dublin, Ireland.

Sources close to both fighters told MMAjunkie.com that the Franklin-Henderson fight has been discussed as a possibility for the fight card, though bout agreements have not been distributed.

The tentatively scheduled event was first reported by Yahoo! Sport UK & Ireland earlier today.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/12894/rich-franklin-could-meet-dan-henderson-jan-17-at-ufc-93.mma

Wording issue me hole the quote Ive been using is from the actual article:

They talk about being the offical opening BEFORE as you put it "Coldplay headline the first show here" in the same sentence.

You are totally wrong.

Here give it a rest will ya. You're talking out of your swiss. All i said was that they got it wrong cos they said that Coldplay are the first gig in the O2, which they aren't. Plus its the sun. Now for the THIRD TIME I'm tellin ya there are 2 gigs on there before Coldplay, which if you checked the listings after the 1st time i mentioned it you would know. Hence why i questioned the reliability of their reporting. So drop your bullsh1t and stick to the topic or GTFO. I already drew a line under it but back u come for more so just cop the fcuk on will ya. And I'm not "totally wrong", as you claim. I've posted 3 times now showing you what I'm talking about when I say i question their accuracy as they claim Coldplay is the first gig there when in fact there are 2 gigs on before. So no, i am not totally wrong.

I can't believe you have made me spell this out to you like you are a child but here you go:
    which officially opens on December 21 when Coldplay headline the first show there.

Now that's the line you see that you have now twice quoted to prove that I'm "totally wrong". Now I can't for obvious reasons discuss anything about these gigs but if you go too Google, type in "O2 Dublin" and click on the first option that comes up you will see the listings and see that there are 2 events on before said event hence the line "Coldplay headline the first show there" is untrue. A blind man can see that is what i was saying in the first place. Actually Ive posted the link on the bottom for you juts so you really can't miss it, just click on "Listings". Clear enough for ya or are you that stubborn that you're going to continue to argue? Cos I'm not responding to your crap again. Another one on the old ignore list :rolleyes:

Now after all that needless bullsh1t can we get back to talking about MMA.

MMAmania are reporting the O2 story as well so it's gathering momentum. Same story AFAIK. Link

Here is the link to the O2 website. Under "take a sneak peak" you can see the layout of the arena, hard to tell how they're gonna lay the arena out for a show......

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Rovert. Chill out.

No need to get so worked up over a rumoured date.

• Advertisement

Look at the post above for crying loud, Im perfectly chill.

Ill put it simple for you Neil1984 the official opening refers in this case a ceremonial/press purpose. NOT the actual opening. For example computer games maybe OFFICALLY release on Friday BUT you can usually purchase then after lunchtime Thursday. Got it?

The Sun Online editorally when comes to Wrestling and MMA is totally different their print counterpart as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Go onto ticketmaster.ie and see the WWE show in April floor layout. i presume the UFC would have a seating plan on the same lines. Octagon side seats all the way. But could see this event being another free Spike card like the Birmingham one which I'm going to. I'll get the 411 on fightclub and I'd say more will be announced after UFC 90.

12165s.gif

That's the layout there. I could see that lacking a bit of atmosphere with a majority of the fans being pretty far away...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Coldplay are not the opening gig.

Kings Of Leon are playing the 19th and Counting Crows are playing the 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That looks pretty bad actually.

LeoGilly wrote: »
    Coldplay are not the opening gig.

Kings Of Leon are playing the 19th and Counting Crows are playing the 20th.

Oh jesus, not this again.

Anyway I wonder how UFC will price tickets.

Lapellos > Scores :D

Can anyone tell me what is the score with drug testing for fighters in Ireland. Is there a body or council that does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Here give it a rest will ya. You're talking out of your swiss. All i said was that they got it wrong cos they said that Coldplay are the first gig in the O2, which they aren't. Plus its the sun. Now for the THIRD TIME I'm tellin ya there are 2 gigs on there before Coldplay, which if you checked the listings after the 1st time i mentioned it you would know. Hence why i questioned the reliability of their reporting. So drop your bullsh1t and stick to the topic or GTFO. I already drew a line under it but back u come for more so just cop the fcuk on will ya. And I'm not "totally wrong", as you claim. I've posted 3 times now showing you what I'm talking about when I say i question their accuracy as they claim Coldplay is the first gig there when in fact there are 2 gigs on before. So no, i am not totally wrong.

I can't believe you have made me spell this out to you like you are a child but here you go:

Now that's the line you see that you have now twice quoted to prove that I'm "totally wrong". Now I can't for obvious reasons discuss anything about these gigs but if you go too Google, type in "O2 Dublin" and click on the first option that comes up you will see the listings and see that there are 2 events on before said event hence the line "Coldplay headline the first show there" is untrue. A blind man can see that is what i was saying in the first place. Actually Ive posted the link on the bottom for you juts so you really can't miss it, just click on "Listings". Clear enough for ya or are you that stubborn that you're going to continue to argue? Cos I'm not responding to your crap again. Another one on the old ignore list :rolleyes:

Now after all that needless bullsh1t can we get back to talking about MMA.

MMAmania are reporting the O2 story as well so it's gathering momentum. Same story AFAIK. Link

Here is the link to the O2 website. Under "take a sneak peak" you can see the layout of the arena, hard to tell how they're gonna lay the arena out for a show......

Link

Neil1984 v Rovert confirmed for undercard on Jan 17th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

its confirmed on the UFC website this morning, as is the Franklin fight vs Dan Henderson and Coleman v Rua.
    It would be good to see some Irish Talent on the undercard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I think we have done pretty well here as regards the main events (if it is as reported)
    I expected the 1st UFC here to have a weaker card simply because they would sell tickets either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

kens thoughts on the Kimbo Fight and , kens appearance on TUF 3.

Kimbo Slice's Thoughts on his biggest fight to date

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I think we have done pretty well here as regards the main events (if it is as reported)
    I expected the 1st UFC here to have a weaker card simply because they would sell tickets either way

Agreed, those two fights are excellent main events.
    Just noticed they say in the article its PPV in the US!!
    Surely that means the Affliction show won't be the same day?

I actually hope it is on the same day, that would mean they'd have to put on a phenomenal card to put up a PPV v PPV fight with Affliction :)

Definitely going anyway. I've been to the Belfast, Manchester & Newcastle shows and am going to Birmingham in a couple of weeks, so I can't really miss one in my home town :)

Looks like the superfight of Fedor v Kimbo Slice is off.

Can we finally be rid of this fool from our sport? I hope so.

Looks like the superfight of Fedor v Kimbo Slice is off.

Can we finally be rid of this fool from our sport? I hope so.

This fool was one of the main reasons why EXC was on network television last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nu-g 2008

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Dana has wanted to run Dublin for a while but we didn't have an indoor venue big enough for PPV. He was initially excited about the Belfast gig as well, but once it was over, he pretty much admitted it was a farce due to inadequete facilities in the City overall.

So i wouldn't rule out a UFC in Dublin at some stage in 2009, Although i don't know about January.

when did dana admit it was a 'farce' ? a source would help your point

There will be a show in the point next year but it will be late for the year.

no your wrong

Can anyone tell me what is the score with drug testing for fighters in Ireland. Is there a body or council that does it?

ufc takes it upon themselves to run drug tests on international events.

• Advertisement

This fool was one of the main reasons why EXC was on network television last night

and you think that's a good thing? so everyone who tuned in to see him, witnessed him get ko'd in 14 secs. will they all tune in next time to see Petruzelli? I dont think so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement