Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

This fight is gonna be awesome

Kim has said she feels sorry for Brock, up against Randy with only 3 fights experience.

She also dropped this bombshell
    "When Fedor signed the contract (with Affliction) it was cut out in the contract that they get him for a certain number of fights not including the Randy Couture fight. He's free to fight Randy wherever, whenever."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Couture-s-better-half-says-she-feels-sorry-for-L?urn=mma,105158

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Now that is interesting.

Still, unless UFC can get Fedor on a multifight deal it won't be going ahead.

Randy has signed on for 3 fights ( basically a rewrite of his outstanding contract ). I don't see him having any more left in the tank after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Dragan wrote: »
    I predict Brock gets frustrated at his inability to overcome technical ability and a solid game plan with brute physicality in Rd 2, making the mistake that gets his trapped and pounded out.

I read it in my tea leaves.

mind if i borrow those tea leaves ........:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

dunkamania wrote: »
    This fight is gonna be awesome

Kim has said she feels sorry for Brock, up against Randy with only 3 fights experience.

She also dropped this bombshell
    "When Fedor signed the contract (with Affliction) it was cut out in the contract that they get him for a certain number of fights not including the Randy Couture fight. He's free to fight Randy wherever, whenever."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Couture-s-better-half-says-she-feels-sorry-for-L?urn=mma,105158

Have you followed the story for the past year? UFC wants and will only accept exclusivity of Fedor.

What people say and what people do often differ greatly

• Advertisement

What people say and what people do often differ greatly

In this case of long standing business practices this isnt the case. If it was it would have happened a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

There's no way the UFC will accept Fedor for just one fight. When Dana was asked that question during the conference call he straight out said "no". Then he went on to talk about it a bit more. Basically, if Fedor were to win, they'd have given him invaluable promotion, more than any other MMA company could manage or afford, and then he'd be back with their rivals. They'd essentially be spending millions to promote a rival promotion's fighter. It's plain bad business and the UFC are very good at conducting business
    How did they manage to swing the title fight? Did Nog agree to give the title back to Randy?

Randy's the champ, he's got to defend the belt. Nogueira's still the interim champ and whoever wins between him and Mir will still be the interim champ until they face the winner of Brock/Randy

If this weren't a title fight, and Brock won, then they'd still have to do Couture vs Nog/Mir. But really it would be Brock who deserves to be in the title fight, having beaten the champ. It makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

It doesnt matter who wins between Brock and Randy, Mir will submit either one in his first interim title defense.
    : )

If Affliction folds as predicted, Dana is more likely to be entertain a compromise on Fedor. I say Dana, but I really mean the Ferttita's, who have a different style of management and will exert more influence over the future direction of the company. Randy will be at the end of his career, so beating him doesnt mean that much, especially if hes not the champ. In all liklihood Fedor will go back to beating up tomato cans in Japan afterwards and not be in competition with the UFC.

That being said, it will probably be a greater one fight deal

If Affliction folds as predicted, Dana is more likely to be entertain a compromise on Fedor. I say Dana, but I really mean the Ferttita's, who have a different style of management and will exert more influence over the future direction of the company. Randy will be at the end of his career, so beating him doesnt mean that much, especially if hes not the champ. In all liklihood Fedor will go back to beating up tomato cans in Japan afterwards and not be in competition with the UFC.

That being said, it will probably be a greater one fight deal

Still, let's say that they can get Fedor for one fight and he doesn't go to any rival promotion afterwards, he just retires. It's probably still not going to be good business for them to promote him for one fight. If he wins he'll get a load of money and the UFC will never see any more return on that money

Beating Randy would still mean a lot. Just Fedor fighting anyone in the UFC would mean a lot as he'd be getting so much more promotion than he's ever had before in the US

What basis do you have for saying that the Fertitta's will have more influence on their direction in the future? They've trusted Dana up to now and he's done a great job. He's still doing the same job as he did before Lorenzo took up more of a role in the UFC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The simple fact that they are both spending more time operating in the UFC as a whole means the power will shift more to them. Its just the way big business works.

I'm not saying they will start interferring, but they will be closer to decisions, able to voice more opinion and offer more direction.

I can't see them changing over to not get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

It doesnt matter who wins between Brock and Randy, Mir will submit either one in his first interim title defense.

What is it with you and that fella?
    ;)

Dragan wrote: »
    The simple fact that they are both spending more time operating in the UFC as a whole means the power will shift more to them. Its just the way big business works.

I'm not saying they will start interferring, but they will be closer to decisions, able to voice more opinion and offer more direction.

I can't see them changing over to not get involved.

Im quite sure they are extremely involved in decision making already when it comes to major decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

rovert wrote: »
    Im quite sure they are extremely involved in decision making already when it comes to major decisions.

I'm not that pushed to see fedor in UFC to be honest. Yes, I have wanted to see Fedor Randy for a while, but to be honest after that who is there to match him up with in the UFC? Nog again? Lesnar? Mir?

Randy is the only fight for Fedor in the UFC that catches my eye (possibly Lesnar if he managed to upset Randy) whereas I would be interested to see him in against both Barnett and Arlovski if Affliction was able to stay around long enough. As long as he's not in the UFC(and ties down o an exclusive contract) there is also the possibility of fights with the japan-based heavyweights like the much improved overeem and rematches with crocop and hunt, all of which would be more interesting to me than congo, herring or mir for example

**edit** i have no idea why i quoted that piece by rovert, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Supposedly the reason why Rampage split from Juanita and is now with Wolfslair. The interview is 30 mins long.
    Rumor is that Juanita was taking money from him.

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=75772@kcbs.dayport.com

What is it with you and that fella?
    ;)

it's just people always compare my style to his.

just not favourably

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

it's just people always compare my style to his.

just not favourably

:pac:

:D

So, any picks for UFC 88? Here's mine

MAIN CARD

* Rashad Evans vs. Chuck Liddell
    * Rich Franklin vs. Matt Hamill
    * Karo Parisyan vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
    * Dan Henderson vs. Rousimar Palhares
    * Martin Kampmann vs. Nate Marquardt

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Kurt Pellegrino vs. Thiago Tavares
    * Tim Boetsch vs. Mike Patt
    * Matt Brown vs. Dong Hyun Kim
    * Roan Carneiro vs. Ryo Chonan
    * Jason Lambert vs. Jason MacDonald

Chuck to KO Rashad - I think that it would be really sad to see Chuck lose to Rashad. Although he's unbeaten, Rashad isn't that great a fighter. I'm confident that Chuck will win and that it will be impressive

Franklin to KO Hamill - I'm sure that Franklin's still got it. Even if he hasn't got what it takes to beat Anderson Silva, he should have what it takes to beat Hamill

Yoshida to sub Parisyan - I don't want to see Parisyan win. I hope there's some nice throws

Palhares to sub Henderson - I'm not underestimating Henderson, I just think that Palhares is so good on the ground that he could easily catch Henderson in something. I read an interview with Henderson where he said that he accepted the fight before seeing Palhares fight

Kampmann to KO Marquardt - I'm looking forward to this fight. One of the more evenly matched ones on the card I think. I think that Kampmann has what it takes although he's the slight underdog

No real opinions on the others, although Tavares/Pellegrino definitely interests me

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7036&zoneid=2

Karo's out. Back injury. Pity. No replacement

That site also has a report that Thiago Silva is out of his fight in October with Machida. Back injury as well

• Advertisement

The WEC show scheduled for Wednesday has been moved to November 5th because of a hurricane risk: http://mmajunkie.com/news/5219/exclusive-wednesdays-wec-36-event-moved-to-nov-5-due-to-hurricane-ike.mma

Urijah Faber and Paulo Filho are both on the card. I was looking forward to it, I can't remember a bad WEC show since I started keeping up with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I think this is the right forum for it.

What everyone make of the first fight? I thought the first and last rounds went Kim's way, so I'm not too sure what the crowd were booing about. Unless they just wanted the yank to win whether he deserved it or not. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I smiled inside when Chuck got knocked out. That KO was brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

I called it a split with it going to Kim.

Fair play to Evans snatching the opportunity. Another solid game plan from the Jackson camp as that was no lucky swing. A buddy of mine was at it and said the sound of that punch was deafening! Forrest V Evans next so.

Anyone see Chuck V Shogun more of a real possibility now?

I was **** shocked at how Kampann was handled by Marquardt too. No way did I see Nate outstriking him. Suppose this may prompt Kampann to drop as many have speculated, though the loss did not have much to do with weight.

I thought Hamill did well all being considered but the fight went the way I thought it would eventually. So, Rich how do you feel about beating up a deaf guy :mad: just joking :P. I'd like to see Hamill go to someone like DellaGrotte and get his striking and head movement sharpened up. What Mark and his team have done with Florian is outstanding.

Lambert V McDonald - I hope Jason stays at MW - much much better weight for him and for those of us who don't wanna look at those sausage tits :D. I'd like to McDonald next against someone like Palhares.

Good to see Henderson get the Win also.

So all of UFC's major stars are all now past their primes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Nah, I wouldn't go as far as to say that. Their is a changing of the guard with Hughes/Liddell but you've still got Franklin who should be dangerous at 205, BJ is still raping the LWs, GSP still dominating the WWs, Silva taking over from Rich in MW and now with Couture being back you've still got the old master going to dominate the Heavys too.

Good one I heard last night - Who is a homeboy's favourite MMA fighter - Matt Hamill, he's def.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Lesnar hasn't even hit his prime now and he is certainly one of their biggest stars.

Saw the Lidell fight and it looked like Rasheed decimated his jaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Aye, was pretty nasty, awful thump he gave him, what's up with that!? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I was initially surprised at kim's win, but watched it again, he got the first round and the takedown in the last got it for him. Feel sorry for Matt Brown though, he gave it everything.

Marquardt was impressive too, I don't think many people would have expected it to end that way.

Really enjoyed the Franklin/Hamill match, that was a nice cut on Rich. I was very surprised that hamill didn't bring it to the ground which was a mistake.
    I used to think hamill was a dick (after watching the ultimate fighter) but after I met Bisping, I knew who the real dick was.

Great to see Hendo win, he a great fighter, but he's also got a lot of class, no trash talk, he just puts it all in the ring. It was a real entertaining game of chess............but with kicks, punches, elbows and submission attempts :)

Was sick when chuck was KO'd, I can not stand rashad, he's another one of the new loudmouth fighters. Rumor has it that Dana has told Evans he has the title shot @ UFC92. He didn't take any damage in the fight so should be fresh still.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement