Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I haven't been as gobsmacked by a KO since Gonzaga-Crocop. :eek:

I didn't think Evans had it in him. I had him down as a boring, squeeze out a decision wrestler but thats two highlight reel KOs he has now. Nice head kick against Salmon and now one of the most brutal one punch knockouts ever in the UFC. And over Chuck Liddell as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

lafors wrote: »

Was sick when chuck was KO'd, I can not stand rashad, he's another one of the new loudmouth fighters. Rumor has it that Dana has told Evans he has the title shot @ UFC92. He didn't take any damage in the fight so should be fresh still.

I see a lot of this opinion on internet forums right now, and I personally don't see it. In TUF2 Evans was a pretty cool guy, ok he showboated once but he's very soft spoken and has self confidence but doesnt talk trash about his opponents. Even in the build up to saturday's fight he gave huge respect for Chuck and made a point to check he was ok. So he did a little dance, but is it any worse that Chuck's pose after his wins.
    Personally I'm chuffed Liddell was beat, never took to him ( especially after breaking my heart v Couture II and III ) and he isn't exactly the most respectful in the world either. I think Evans proves he belongs in the upper echelons of the sport, though I reckon Griffin will outpoint him next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Showboating during the fight is just mindgames, a good way to put your opponent off.

Evans has been nothing but respectful before and after his fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

As soon as I heard Cecil Peoples, I thought Don would be denied, but no, the other judges did their duty.

Marquadt impressed with KO, hard to say where he is in the MW rankings though

Disappointed with Hamill, it was like watching Sherk-Penn

Good job by Hendo, good game plan, good disicpline and good execution

It was funny watching Dana, all smiles, congratulaing Rashad because that overhand right will cost the UFC alot of money. It messes up alot of matchups, and raises doubts over the future of one of the biggest PPV draws.
    I was very annoyed for the first round, watching Rashad run away, but in hindsight he was following an excellent gameplan. Fair play to Rashad (his showboating still bugs me alot) and also to Greg Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    I was very annoyed for the first round, watching Rashad run away, but in hindsight he was following an excellent gameplan. Fair play to Rashad (his showboating still bugs me alot) and also to Greg Jackson.

In fairness he fought Chuck like Chuck. He always had Lidell walking towards him and i actually can't remember the last time i saw Chuck KO anyone doing that.

The overhand right was beautiful and i think it says a lot about Evans state of mind that he was already moving away to avoid any counter.

I was very suprised to see that happen but i was impressed. As far as i can tell Chuck has fallen into the trap of believing he will knock people out. How many combo's did he throw in that fight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Chuck looked sloppy.

Did anyone else think he looked like he was tubbier than usual. He looked lean against Wandi, but on Saturday he looked worse than when he fought Jardine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I really enjoyed watching Stumpy fight Hendo. A lovely clash of styles between BJJ and sprawl and brawl. I think Hendo has the skills not many others have to go the distance with the Stumpy Paul Harris. There are other MW with great sprawl and take down defence but as many as submission aware as Hendo, the man about as witty as a bag of spanners. I want to see Stumpy and Nate the great next, there's just something about Marquadt I don't like. It baffles me because I usually love that style but I just can't stand him. I want to see Stumpy choke him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It was funny watching Dana, all smiles, congratulaing Rashad because that overhand right will cost the UFC alot of money. It messes up alot of matchups, and raises doubts over the future of one of the biggest PPV draws.

Dave Meltzer of yahoo MMA and wrestlingobserver.com spoke about how Dana White wasn't disappointed at all. He made the point that they're (Fertitas, White etc..) very confident in the actual brand being bigger than any one star right now. Plus they have 2 mega fights coming up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Dave Meltzer of yahoo MMA and wrestlingobserver.com spoke about how Dana White wasn't disappointed at all. He made the point that they're (Fertitas, White etc..) very confident in the actual brand being bigger than any one star right now. Plus they have 2 mega fights coming up anyway.

The look on Dana's face during one of the replays says different! I'll try post a screencap if I can

Under the scoring system they use, Kim's win over Brown was fair. But I don't think that the scoring that they use is fair, as Brown did more damage over the whole fight and he really should have won

Henderson looked very good. I'd like to see him against Anderson again

People are saying how respectful Rashad is, even though the commentators made the point of saying that Chuck was very annoyed with some of the disrespectful things that Rashad had said in the build up about him. I don't buy him as the most respectful of guys either

They need to make Rashad vs Machida to sort Rashad out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

What disrespectful things did he say? I watched the buildup and have been reading sherdog before the fights and I dont recall any smack talk from either fighter. This myth of Rashad Evans being the next smacktalker like Tito is a load of crap.

That was the most satisfying knockout ever as I'm still sore over Chuck's K.O's of Randy Couture. I thought he may have died for a split second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Doberman

Rashad saying he was going to retire Chuck and make him walk his "old ass" out of the octagon. that was disrespect.

Machida should be next for a title shot, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Doberman

oh, and Evans should fight Shogun next.

Doberman wrote: »
    Rashad saying he was going to retire Chuck and make him walk his "old ass" out of the octagon. that was disrespect.

That's the sort of thing that annoyed Chuck, when Rashad was talking about him being old

Matt Hamill has struck me as having a pretty big opinion of himself a few times. On the Countdown show he asked why Franklin is going to 205: "Is it because of me?" No, it's because of Anderson Silva! Franklin obviously wasn't seeking out a fight with Hamill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Feel a bit of a tit posting this here but don't want to piss off Dragan:D. Just started watching Law and Order SVU and this episode is about "the world of ultimate fighting" and guess who makes a cameo but the LH champ himself Forrest Griffen as a bad ass champion. Funnily enough, he's not too bad an actor.

Reminds me of an even funnier thing I seen while in the States in July training in Florida. Morning I was heading home, we had the TV on in the room and some stupid date show (like Blind Date) comes on and I see this guy in the prelim that looks familiar and sure enough it was non other that Tim Sylvia. The whole thing was a howl as his blind date, decent enough looking red haired Irish American that wanted to date a "bad boy" and they thought good ol' Tim seemed to fit the bill. Anyways it turns out she a real LUSH and thought if Tim was a real man he should be able to drink her under the table.....you can imagine the outcome and Tim came across as a complete wimp!!:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Kelso

Doeybody know when tickets will go on sale? And will they be impossible to get if you're not a member of UFC? Imagine it will be pretty popular with what looks like a great card, and being in Vegas-would love to go though

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Spotted this video clip and I thought crikey shamrock is looking old!
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/5259/inside-mma-video-will-kimbo-slice-be-exposed.mma

Few bits of him training look like he's kinda slow or else he's training pretty relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Kelso wrote: »
    Doeybody know when tickets will go on sale? And will they be impossible to get if you're not a member of UFC? Imagine it will be pretty popular with what looks like a great card, and being in Vegas-would love to go though

You could sign up to the UFC newsletter.
    You'll get an email a few days before the go on sale.
    The UFC Fight Club members get first (Wednesday).
    Then the newsletter subscribers (which is free) get second. You'll get a code in the email which you can use to get your tickets early, usually the Friday.
    Then general sale on the Saturday.

I've noticed though that sometimes I don't get the emails, might be that big events sell out so easily they don't need to offer the pre sale dates?

Chuck looked sloppy.

Did anyone else think he looked like he was tubbier than usual. He looked lean against Wandi, but on Saturday he looked worse than when he fought Jardine

Yeah, the way to tell with Chuck is his upper back. Not a lot of detail going on their for that fight i thought.

As for the look on Dana's face when Chuck got sparked. Chuck and Dana are friends, very close friends at this point. Watch your mate get knocked out and his dreams snatched from him and see how you look.

Finally, how come noone is calling Chuck on throwing a high kick after the ****ing bell?

Dragan wrote: »
    Finally, how come noone is calling Chuck on throwing a high kick after the ****ing bell?

It was on the bell was it not? And probably since Rashad in most peoples eyes (before his gameplan and strategy became apparent) was joggin and dancing his way through the Atlanta marathon in round one that fans were probably too fed up with him to notice.

It was on the bell was it not? And probably since Rashad in most peoples eyes (before his gameplan and strategy became apparent) was joggin and dancing his way through the Atlanta marathon in round one that fans were probably too fed up with him to notice.

I had it as a late kick myself. I'll rewatch it though.

I still don't get the jogging thing. Go back and watch early Chuck fights and he was doing similar, making people follow him.

• Advertisement

I had it as a late kick myself. I'll rewatch it though.

I still don't get the jogging thing. Go back and watch early Chuck fights and he was doing similar, making people follow him.

I think he threw it on the bell and it sailed past Rashads head after the bell IIRC.

No what i emant what his gameplan hadnt come to the fore then and most people thought he was doing a Starnes.

I thought so for the following reasons:

- He didnt sound confident in the interviews
    - He didnt show up against Tito, froze on the big stage
    - He spent MOST of the first round doing Nothing but shuffing his shoulders and stickin his lips out, making him appear to be an idiot same as when he fought on TUF. he did land one solid shot that gave Chuck a shiner though.

It wasnt until the second round that his gameplan became obvious, by then he had forced Chuck to move forward and he was using his speed to hit Chuck and get out of the way of the shots.

But myself and my brother (who watched it with me) thought he was just trying to dance around for 15 mins and not get Ko'd after the 1st round.

Affliction have postponed their October show until January due to money issues with tickets not selling well, according to the Wrestling Observer. Apparently Fedor will be on that show now, and possibly Tito

They say that they're set to make a huge announcement that will affect the UFC within two weeks. When I first heard that I thought that unless it's that they've worked out a way not to pay any fighters or that they've got a great tv deal, then it's just going to be a load of hype. The Wrestling Observer reported that it's likely to be a deal with Golden Boy Promotions (Oscar De La Hoya's company) where GBP will produce the Affliction shows but not have any involvement with the booking or any financial backing. So basically a load of hype

I've read similar on www.mmaweekly.com .

Looks like Afflicition is basically outsourcing it's marketing to GBP.

I've read similar on www.mmaweekly.com .

Looks like Afflicition is basically outsourcing it's marketing to GBP.

More from f4wonline.com:
    Some more notes on the Affliction cancellation. The new date is 1/17 at the Honda Center in Anaheim and Fedor Emelianenko will appear. Golden Boy Promotions (Oscar De La Hoya, Richard Schaefer) will be involved in the venture which will likely be announced over the next two weeks.

Even though Golden Boy is involved, HBO is believed to not be part of this package. The current plans are for the show to have both MMA fights and boxing matches, which having seen shows with multiple types of matches on the same card (boxing/MMA, Muay Thai/MMA, pro wrestling/MMA), they almost never work.

Muay Thai/MMA in Japan on New Year's Eve has worked and I've seen San Shou/Muay Thai together working but all the other combinations are kind of disastrous because they are different fights and the pacing is different. I don't know how to explain it, because I can enjoy all of them, but when you put them together on the same show, mentally you are thinking what they should be doing that they don't do because it's not allowed and it ruins the excitement.

The mentality is that you draw from both fan bases, but that's a flawed mentality unless you have a major boxing fight on the bill, in which case you've just added huge money costs, and a top level boxing match between intros and the fight itself will take one hour, limiting the amount of MMA matches you can put on the show.

Golden Boy is believed to not be involved in the MMA aspect of the show as far as matchmaking, signing fighters, or putting up money for that end, but will be involved in the production aspects of the show. Still, the cancellation of the next show was the correct business move because the interest in the show was tepid, it wasn't going to do well on PPV, and would lose significant money while accomplishing nothing other than creating an opponent for Fedor. One would presume they'll go with Fedor vs. Arlovski, only because Arlovski has more of a name in the U.S. than Josh Barnett, although to me, it's a less interesting match.

California just recently made mixed discipline shows legal. As stated, boxing and MMA don't tend to work well together from what I've seen. Either way, this is not going to change the UFC in any way

I don't really see this doing anything. I think it's a all in venture for Affliction but a simple experiment for Golden Boy. They can afford very easily to not have this work. Affliction can't.

Seeing as the story in the Wrestling Observer about the Couture contract signing was requested, here's the gist of it

Randy had been offered a contract on the same terms as his old one, with at least one more fight, and all legal action against him would be dropped. There was something in the legal settlement that Randy didn't agree to so he wouldn't sign. On the day of the press conference Randy verbally agreed to a contract but still hadn't signed anything

Randy arrived to sign the contract before the press conference, which was set for 12pm. Then he tried to get some minor stuff changed, which the UFC weren't caving in to, so Randy left the building at 12:15pm. That's why they had to reschedule the press conference

The UFC thought that the deal was off at that point. Randy's lawyers, who had agreed to a deal, told the UFC that he had just gone to get petrol. They tried to get him back to the building, which he did at 12:30. Then he was on his phone for several minutes, before finally meeting with Lorenzo Fertitta to sign the contract. It was right after that that he appeared in the video that I posted earlier in the thread with Dana. The press conference was very close to having to be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

kimboken140.jpg

I took part in the EliteXC and CBS conference call today with Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock. I taped the call for a site I work with and thought you guys might want to listen to it.

http://www.totalwrestling.net/radio/EXCKenBo.mp3 (Right click and save as)

I listened to about half of that conference call earlier, it's an entertaining one :) Ken is in his angry mode, flipping out at one journalist for saying that he disrespected Kimbo (which he did). If they can get Ken on tv to promote this fight then they'll do amazing numbers for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Fozzy wrote: »
    I listened to about half of that conference call earlier, it's an entertaining one :) Ken is in his angry mode, flipping out at one journalist for saying that he disrespected Kimbo (which he did). If they can get Ken on tv to promote this fight then they'll do amazing numbers for it

I am trying my best to get an interview with him, I did not get a chance to ask a question in the call, don't know why, I put my name in line but never got the chance, the questions I wanted to asked had been already asked so it was not too bad.

• Advertisement

Kimbo has been saying that he wants to break Kens ankle, hope he tries to do that, we'll see if his ground game is any better than when he fought Thompson.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement