Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options
1676869707173»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

nu-g 2008 wrote: »
    ufc takes it upon themselves to run drug tests on international events.

Ufc only takes it upon themselves to run drug tests on international events when cant find a governing body to do it. There is a difference.

I was just checking if Ireland was any different.

and you think that's a good thing? so everyone who tuned in to see him, witnessed him get ko'd in 14 secs. will they all tune in next time to see Petruzelli? I dont think so.

So are you are saying OUR SPORT is relatively nothing without casual fans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

rovert wrote: »
    So are you are saying OUR SPORT is relatively nothing without casual fans :rolleyes:

i'll tell ya what i'm saying. i already wish we were back in the days of 2004, when the UFC revival was gathering pace,where there was a good support base but not all this hype driven bull**** that is overtaking the actual fighting.

do you think Shamrock - Kimbo merits a main event? could it have been free as no one would pay to see it on PPV?
    do you think that casual observers tuning in on Sat will be persuaded to watch Petruzzelli's next fight? can you name a good opponent for him?
    is twenty minutes of absolute nonsense before the first fight a " win " for all watching?
    did you watch the broadcast in it's entirety, cos I did and it was shambolic. " the biggest upset in MMA history, Petruzzelli is a modern day Rocky Balboa " :rolleyes:

i don't want casual fans who think that Kimbo Slice is the man to beat after 3 dud matches, one of which ( Thompson ) he was utterly dominated in. i don't like coming into work and being told by some bird that " Chuck should have ducked under that punch by Rashad ". i prefer when the people watching it understood it and not talked about it to sound tough. Maybe if GSP - Penn was free on TV I'd agree with you, but not events like Elite XC, or indeed Cage Rage which probably did more damage to MMA when shown on Sky than a million politicians calling it human cockfighting.

i'll tell ya what i'm saying. i already wish we were back in the days of 2004, when the UFC revival was gathering pace,where there was a good support base but not all this hype driven bull**** that is overtaking the actual fighting.

Where you a Pride fan then as well?

Can believe you are moaning about MMA promotions promoting.
    do you think Shamrock - Kimbo merits a main event? could it have been free as no one would pay to see it on PPV?

As it was marketable fight just a guess? It was television fight (btw the highest rate segment too) and that’s the reason why they booked. The TV deal was in place BEFORE the fight was even talked about, it fit a purpose.
    do you think that casual observers tuning in on Sat will be persuaded to watch Petruzzelli's next fight? can you name a good opponent for him?
    is twenty minutes of absolute nonsense before the first fight a " win " for all watching?
    did you watch the broadcast in it's entirety, cos I did and it was shambolic. " the biggest upset in MMA history, Petruzzelli is a modern day Rocky Balboa " :rolleyes:

So it is a return to OUR SPORT then, you should be happy. You can stop watching your IFL tapes now.
    i don't want casual fans who think that Kimbo Slice is the man to beat after 3 dud matches, one of which ( Thompson ) he was utterly dominated in. i don't like coming into work and being told by some bird that " Chuck should have ducked under that punch by Rashad ". i prefer when the people watching it understood it and not talked about it to sound tough.

That happens with all sport in fairness. You come across as terribly elitist here too.
    Maybe if GSP - Penn was free on TV I'd agree with you, but not events like Elite XC, or indeed Cage Rage which probably did more damage to MMA when shown on Sky than a million politicians calling it human cockfighting.

Elite XC isn’t in the same league as Cage Rage, come off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nu-g 2008

rovert wrote: »
    Ufc only takes it upon themselves to run drug tests on international events when cant find a governing body to do it. There is a difference.

I was just checking if Ireland was any different.

yeah , well thats my point the uk and ireland dont do it so ufc does it themselves even though they dont have to , another major cost onto already expensive events.

the point only seats roughly 9000 now .correct ? the standing capacity is 13.5k but ufc wont do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

In 2004 the UFC were close to going out of business. It was TUF that saved them, a reality TV show. That wasn't about the fighting, that was about the personalities

The UFC boom began with Ortiz vs Shamrock III. That wasn't about the fighting. That was about major hype

You may not like it, but MMA as a pure sport doesn't sell yet. Promotions need to put on fights with guys that people connect with rather than guys who are the best fighters if they want to survive. Every successful MMA promotion has done what EliteXC has done at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I watched Elite Xc heat last night
    I'm no expert but heres what I thought

The first fight between Radach and Rua was clearly fight onf the night imo, it was excellent to and fro, Rua showed he had a great chin until that slip left him wide open and Radachs punches were excellent.
    I love radachs discipline: facesmashing Fu :D

The womens fight was ok but a little boring. It will have to be carrero against that Cyborg woman next maybe that will breed some life into womens mma

The Arlovski fight was entertaining and a great knockout. Looking forward to seeing him fight either Barnett or Fedor next, should be good

I haven't seen much of shield before but the way he was built up and with his ranking I expected him to finish daley quicker than he did maybe i'm being too harsh. Still a decemnt fight and Daley showed some good heart to reverse the mount in the 1st.

The Kimbo Seth fight was how I wished it would go, thats about all I can say about that one.

I saw the purses today and Kimbo got $500,000 for 14 secs ( $35,000 a second :eek:). This is where Elite xc have gone nuts, in what other sport would a guy with Kimbos limited experience and skill get that kind of money (I used to fight people on you tube gimme $500,000 ).
    Its crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I saw the purses today and Kimbo got $500,000 for 14 secs ( $35,000 a second :eek:). This is where Elite xc have gone nuts, in what other sport would a guy with Kimbos limited experience and skill get that kind of money (I used to fight people on you tube gimme $500,000 ).
    Its crazy

What's so crazy about it? He is the reason that a lot of people watched the show. He is one of the main reasons why they got on CBS in the first place. Why doesn't he deserve what he was paid? He's the one making the money back for EliteXC, not Shields or Lawler or Radach

I will say that Gina was vastly underpaid considering how big a draw she is. She's almost up there with Kimbo

PS - There's a new MMA forum here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1137 :pac: Perhaps this thread should be locked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yeah, forgot to close this one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement