Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I took part in todays EliteXC conference call with Gina Carano, Kelly Kobold-Gavin, Jake Shields & Paul Daley. Here is the audio link. Enjoy.
    http://www.totalwrestling.net/radio/excCC2.mp3 (Right click and save as)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It's now official that WEC will drop their light-heavyweight and middleweight divisions: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7206&zoneid=13 Their show on December 3rd will be the last with those divisions

It's a pity in one way, because there's some guys there who won't survive in the UFC, but they still had great fights with each other and they had the job security and exposure that guys in other promotions didn't have. Now a lot of them will end up fighting for these other companies

Paulo Filho in the UFC is the most interesting part of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Yeah but the one match that everyone wants to see and that would make the most sense for Filho and the UFC ain't going to happen.

Yeah but the one match that everyone wants to see and that would make the most sense for Filho and the UFC ain't going to happen.

Well, I wouldn't say everyone. Most people don't know who he is. But if he racks up a few impressive wins, then they'll want to see that fight. And by then, who knows?

I didn't actually hear this original rumour, but in case anyone does, here's an update from f4wonline.com:
    Lesnar-Couture rumors appear to be untrue

By Dave Meltzer

There were a lot of panicked people in the MMA world yesterday as rumors were floated by a usually reliable poster on the Internet that Brock Lesnar was injured in training and his Nov. 15 Las Vegas match with Randy Couture would be canceled.

The extent of the rumor got to the point where, according to an article by Josh Gross on the Sports Illustrated web site, that someone imitating the voice of UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta called Randy Couture, and ended up speaking with wife Kim Couture, telling her Lesnar was injured and the fight was off, but they quickly discovered it as being a hoax.

At the same time, UFC officials contacted Lesnar's camp, who noted they were inundated with calls about the subject, but told UFC that Lesnar is 100% healthy and have no idea where the story would have gotten started.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

http://tatame.com/2008/09/27/Samuray-Mendes-back-to-UFC-in-2009
    After debuting in UFC with a loss against Thiago Silva in the 84th edition, Antonio ‘Samuray’ Mendes will be back in action in January 2009. The Europe Top Team athlete, who fought seven times in 2007 and won all the fights, will fight at January 17th in Dublin, Ireland, and might face another Brazilian fighter. After facing Thiago Silva, Samuray might fight with Andre Gusmão, that also did one fight in the event and loss to Jon Jones by unanimous decision

WAT

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »

Hmm... I wonder how much truth there is to it

Fozzy wrote: »

Oliver Copp said itprobably isnt true citing financial reasons.

Ok, Oliver took back what he said after thinking about it he said "so knowing that and how involved UFC is with AEG, I take back everything I said. As soon as O2 is open, UFC will be there - period. " So there we go but I would say we will not get our pick of a marque main event fight.

but I would say we will not get our pick of a marque main event fight.

Practically all the top fighters are tied up right now. People here will go to see a UFC event without any top names though, so they're less likely to have any top guys on it anyway. I'll be there whenever it is that they come :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Dana has wanted to run Dublin for a while but we didn't have an indoor venue big enough for PPV. He was initially excited about the Belfast gig as well, but once it was over, he pretty much admitted it was a farce due to inadequete facilities in the City overall.

So i wouldn't rule out a UFC in Dublin at some stage in 2009, Although i don't know about January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Practically all the top fighters are tied up right now. People here will go to see a UFC event without any top names though, so they're less likely to have any top guys on it anyway. I'll be there whenever it is that they come :pac:

Well a lot of the UK shows usually have Bisping in the main event (a smart move, but it does get tiresome after a while), Franklin v Okami was the main event for UFC 72 in Belfast last year, in what had to be one of the most boring matches of the entire year. Tyson Griffin v Clay Guida blew pretty much every match out of the water that night.

That said, it would be cool if there was somewhat of a decent main event if it makes it over here, but i won't hold my breath.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Dana has wanted to run Dublin for a while but we didn't have an indoor venue big enough for PPV. He was initially excited about the Belfast gig as well, but once it was over, he pretty much admitted it was a farce due to inadequete facilities in the City overall.

So i wouldn't rule out a UFC in Dublin at some stage in 2009, Although i don't know about January.

Ive seen the January 17th quoted in a number of places AND there has been message board rumours of Irish fighters being contacted about the event. It doesnt make it anymore true but there is some smoke to the fire.

There will be a show in the point next year but it will be late for the year.

There will be a show in the point next year but it will be late for the year.

According to?

January 17th is the same day as the Afflication show and Dave Meltzer stated today that UFC will run a show against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

According to?

January 17th is the same day as the Afflication show and Dave Meltzer stated today that UFC will run a show against them.

My thoughts exactly, they will surely run a show against affliction 2. Whoever is on the card, the UFC events are worth going to for the experience alone. If it is going up against Affliction it will have a decent enough main event.

BTW Tatame was the first source to mention an event in Belfast in a similar piece sometime early in 2007, b4 the UFC or anyone else had announced it.

stevemc01 wrote: »
    BTW Tatame was the first source to mention an event in Belfast in a similar piece sometime early in 2007, b4 the UFC or anyone else had announced it.

Loved that event, i really want to get back to another event. Am ringside for Leban V Bisping but i cant make it i dont think .

I just realised that this morning. Affliction still haven't made anything official as far as January 17th is concerned, but that's been the most heavily rumoured, so it's likely that there will be a UFC show that date

It would be a Spike show (almost certainly...), so that would be another reason not to expect any big names if they do run here

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

They'll have to put on a few decent fights if they are going up against affliction. Even if they are not Top tier fighters the events are worth going to for the experience alone.

stevemc01 wrote: »
    They'll have to put on a few decent fights if they are going up against affliction. Even if they are not Top tier fighters the events are worth going to for the experience alone.

Especially a virgin so speak Irish crowd.

Dave Meltzer posted this in his daily update:
    Dublin is the place to be with TNA doing a huge advance there for January, UFC looking at a show there at the same time and WWE adding a 4/16 date to go with a sold out 4/15 date

Id call it semi offical now :D

dunkamania wrote: »
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/09/23/ufc-to-give-travis-lutter-another-chance/

Lutter apparently on his way back to UFC.

I think this is signicficant beacause while Lutter doesnt have many fans, myself included, he is potentially a top middleweight. I felt the UFC froze him to soon, and given the curretn state of MMA, if your not in the UFC or in Japan, you are nowhere.

A follow up to this, the Wrestling Observer says that that's a false report. Lutter is fighting Doerksen, but it's not in the UFC

• Advertisement

I will see if i can clear all this up this week and get some confirmations .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wow, if that is true then :). So soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Awesome.....if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Please let this be true and not just The Sun bullshine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Confirmed - Mick Leonard is fighting.

Well that Sun article got who the 1st band playing there is wrong so maybe the whole thing is wrong! :pac:

Plus....has anyone looked at the o2's seating layout? I cant see how they're gonna do any boxing/MMA/wrestling etc shows there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Clive wrote: »
    Confirmed - Mick Leonard is fighting.

source?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement