Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: New York with recommendations

Options
  • 22-03-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

I am just back from a week in NY and would recommend a cheap hotel that we used - Best Western Seaport Inn Downtown, it is downtown, and in an area called South Street Seaport. Subway to Times Square is about 15-20 minutes, depending on what subway number you get (number 2 was usually an express).
    The hotel doesn't serve food or drink, but they have complimentary breakfasts - bread, bagels, cereal, fruit, waffles, tea, coffee, juices etc. A PC with printer, good clean rooms and worked out about €1,000 for 7 nights (including Paddys night) in a bedroom with 2 double queen beds, a good bit of space for suitcases and shopping bags and a safe in the room for valuables.

Also, Virgin Megastore in Times Square closes next weekend...I will be sad to see it gone. There wasn't too much choice there when I was there, but they had 40% off most things and then another 15% off if you bought 5 items! Bargains to be had alright, but you need a lot of time and patience to look through the shelves and work through the crowds in there.

I also went to both Jersey Gardens and Woodbury Common - they are very different. Jersey Gardens cost $10 return on the bus from Port Authority, takes about 30 minutes to get there and is all indoors with cinema. However Abercrombie & Fitch Outlet doesn't have a great selection, if you really want your A&F tops, best to buy in Manhatten.
    For Woodbury Common, the bus is $40, but if you book online, then you can get a ticket for $32. However, you need to book it at least a day before online and you need access to a printer to print off the ticket.

Hope this helps others planning a trip cos it is well worth it. I did the the usual tourist things also.

Advertisement