Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Emer95x

I've email millions of place and all are booked out. I tryed a vet which was no luck since you have to be over 17. Tryed TG4 but they're all full. And 2 radio stations and no reply.

Any more ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Emer95x wrote: »
    I've email millions of place and all are booked out. I tryed a vet which was no luck since you have to be over 17. Tryed TG4 but they're all full. And 2 radio stations and no reply.

Any more ideas?
    Try other vets because you don't have to be over 17, that sounds like that particular surgery's get out of jail card for not taking people on.

Two girls in my class did Work Experience in two separate vet clinics, and both were 16 at the time. Keep trying. Depending where you are, there are some other options besides the 4 obvious channels. Link. The City Channels aren't that well known and are easily forgotten about, but the fact that their websites aren't loading and Wikipedia mentions they suffered from financial difficulty in August 2011, you may be out of luck with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mad_hatter_xx

Emer95x wrote: »

Any more ideas?

my friend made this website last year (www.transitionyearhelp.com]). it has a list of places that are willing to take students for work experience, it halped me organise my year :P it has tv and radio stations if that's what youre looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mad_hatter_xx

AnnKiins wrote: »
    Helloooo there xDDD
    I know it's a bit late for talking about Work Experience but I honestly have no idea where to go right now.

SO! Any ideas for places to go for photography, arts and crafts, nail art, make-up ? > w <

my friend made this website last year (www.transitionyearhelp.com). it has a list of places that are willing to take students for work experience (including makeup, photography and arts and crafts places) but otherwise i would recommend dropping into your local photographers studio and asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Malv

does anyone know a solicitor or a barrister that take on TY student?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

wow, all of you seem really organised! :)

I have until late November for work experience,but I haven't decided on where I'll go yet.

I'd be really interested in something to do with French/Irish, but I don't know any suitable places.

I live in Mayo, but I'd be happy to travel if anyone could make any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Anyone know anywhere good around the midlands, im a bit stuck for 2 placements! I emailed Microsoft in early August and was told i would be emailed when their application process started, never heard anything back and when i emailed again in late Sept was told by the email i had accidentally, due to his error, been left off the mailing list! Never as fecking annoyed and disappointed as i was then:/:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ClovisI

My school has us do 2, one week in November and 2 weeks in early March. I've got 1 for November but anyone kno anything that could help for March? I'd be mainly interested in a Science/Engineering one, I emailed a few places but no replies, guess I left it too late. I'll also try phoning from now on.

Also, I think the air corps is booked out but any1 kno about the army? Is it worth a shot at this stage (for around March)?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

ClovisI wrote: »
    Also, I think the air corps is booked out but any1 kno about the army? Is it worth a shot at this stage (for around March)?

I sent a letter to the Defence Forces. They said there was no work experience, in Cathal Brugha Barracks at least. I dont know where you are, but I wouldn't be too hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ClovisI

yeah i'd be around there too ah well i'll find somethin else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

when do you need to start getting work epxerience sorted for Ty???

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

nickys wrote: »
    when do you need to start getting work epxerience sorted for Ty???

I sorted mine in August, but the principal didn't allow me on it. It wasn't until April that I got some work that I was allowed to go on. Ended up in a primary school when I first tried for a radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CareersPortal

I see Microsoft applications open for 2012 - you need a cv and a video/podcast to apply! Reviews of previous years are great - sounds like a good bet? more...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Power Cord of Justice

I see Microsoft applications open for 2012 - you need a cv and a video/podcast to apply! Reviews of previous years are great - sounds like a good bet? more...
    I see you guys have made it more public than ever :p
    I went last year, my review is somewhere there(different account).
    It really is a great week, and I gave up my mid term for it.
    We told her that it was our mid term week but we still took it cos it we can't change the dates and it seems that they're skipping that week this year.

Soo... One week in school < one week at Microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

I just sent in an email applying to work in a local radio station eek! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

How do you usually go about it? Yourself or with the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Hi everyone, ok i have a problem and im sure many other like me do aswell, its getting work experience it the IT sector. I have emailed many companies and i have received little replies. It seems that for the major companies such as havok,blizzard,activision you really need to know someone on the inside. I know microsoft are doing work experience but ther is only 60 places and there is alot of people trying to apply for it. So would anyone have any ideas on any companies. Thank you in advance

RoRo979 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, ok i have a problem and im sure many other like me do aswell, its getting work experience it the IT sector. I have emailed many companies and i have received little replies. It seems that for the major companies such as havok,blizzard,activision you really need to know someone on the inside. I know microsoft are doing work experience but ther is only 60 places and there is alot of people trying to apply for it. So would anyone have any ideas on any companies. Thank you in advance

What kind of IT?

For example,
    Computer repair shops - can be good if you have a wide knowledge and want to see more of a business side to IT
    Web design - there are plenty of small web design businesses all over Ireland. These should be easy to get into.
    IT and web marketing - many companies have IT managers in charge of promotion e.g concerts, running facebook pages, running the company website or online shop etc.

Regards the big companies such as the ones you name, you haven't a hope to be honest. The only hope would be to contact someone directly in there and get them to pass on your details or request to someone higher up. Forget the general inquiry emails...they'll be deleted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

What kind of IT?

For example,
    Computer repair shops - can be good if you have a wide knowledge and want to see more of a business side to IT
    Web design - there are plenty of small web design businesses all over Ireland. These should be easy to get into.
    IT and web marketing - many companies have IT managers in charge of promotion e.g concerts, running facebook pages, running the company website or online shop etc.

Regards the big companies such as the ones you name, you haven't a hope to be honest. The only hope would be to contact someone directly in there and get them to pass on your details or request to someone higher up. Forget the general inquiry emails...they'll be deleted straight away.

well computer repair shops or web design would be beneficial i suppose. Like for web design i have already begun learning HTML,CSS and javascript which are the main thing to know for designing webpages. For computer repair could be good as I a good at business and I am keeping on business and econmomics for senior cycle so i could fall back on that. Would you know any websites, contacts or companies you could tell me. Thank you

RoRo979 wrote: »
    well computer repair shops or web design would be beneficial i suppose. Like for web design i have already begun learning HTML,CSS and javascript which are the main thing to know for designing webpages. For computer repair could be good as I a good at business and I am keeping on business and econmomics for senior cycle so i could fall back on that. Would you know any websites, contacts or companies you could tell me. Thank you

Im presuming you live in Dublin?

I don't but I'm sure a google or a look in the yellow pages would get you dozens of results.
    For computer repair shops you're better to phone or walk in when it's quiet, not email. If the person that answers the phone says they don't accept transition year students, it's usually because they have had bad experiences with them. Youll need some knowledge of repairing computers though as 70%+ of income comes through repairs not sales for them. Just keep at them try and get to talk to a manager. Explain your case

For web design places or any other IT companies, your probably better to email and if they don't reply within 48 hours, give them a phone call. Again, try and talk to the owner or manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Oozamine

Anybody get any places yet ? I got twoso far,but one is on the wrong date so have to keep looking !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Seeing all these posts with TY work experience already is very:eek: because I have nothing organised :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 davesweets

Hi all,
    Just starting ty this week have one of my work experience weeks sorted but dont know what to do for the other week. Looking for something in cork area. Any ideas/ suggestions would be helpful. Any type job will do just looking for something interesting.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Heff1

What have people been told about places they cant do work experience? I was told we cant do work experience on a farm or anywhere with an open blade?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Got one work experience week sorted! :D Need to sort out my other week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Oozamine

Where did u get ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Holly27

Anyone know of places / jobs that involve maths? I <3 maths :3
    also I was wondering has anyone ever gone to a g.p. for work experience or is it too confidential? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Holly27 wrote: »
    also I was wondering has anyone ever gone to a g.p. for work experience or is it too confidential? :)

I knew a friend that did but her dad was a consultant in the area so have a guess,as to how she got it ;) myself and another friend were told we couldn't work in the hospital so we worked in pharmacies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Teach grinds to JC students for 2 weeks and call it work exp ;) sure ye'll make a few quid and all
    It sure would be a hard one to find..you can't get work experience in secondary schools, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Holly27

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Teach grinds to JC students for 2 weeks and call it work exp ;) sure ye'll make a few quid and all
    It sure would be a hard one to find..you can't get work experience in secondary schools, right?

Haha good idea! :)
    They do in my school because I remember last year a girl did it with the science teacher in my school.. I'd hate to do that in maths though.. :/

Advertisement