Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Well at least you've applied to one! I'm pretty sure they only give one weeks work exp. though!

Yeah, they sent an automated reply saying places are limited, one student for work experience per week. Hoping that the dates are right now though, cause our school hasnt given us dates. D: I sent Microsoft the wrong dates... my friend said it to me later on that its usually the first two weeks of Marchn and I sent them the last week before the Easter holidays. :L Didn't re-email them though, no reply yet either, and my Mam said I could take that week off for w/e if I got in anyway. :D

Thanks for your help. :D Now just wondering where else to apply. :/
    I dont wanna apply to loads of places for the first week and not get into Spin for the second week and have nowhere to go, but then if I got into somewhere really cool for the second week I'd have to choose. D: And I'd love to ask someone who knew Dara Quilty to get his autograph for me. <3 Not likely, I know. :L

If all else fails, I can go to where my Mam works in the hospital. Shes a manager and everyone there knows me anyway. I know the place back to front. My friend went there and said they're all lovely too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gazoop

blubloblu wrote: »
    google definitely don't give work experience, it's because of security apparently, you need a swipe card and clearance to go anywhere, sign affidavits if you're visiting, they really don't want any secrets being leaked.

I was there on a bring your child to work day and your not allowed to enter into a legal agreement while your under 17 anyways all i did was get a visitor badge, an electronic signature and a lot of free food.

Cant wait to get my w/e their!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭knockane_ali09

does anyone know of places in cork or waterford that take students on for work experience in the forensic science area? or else in the pharmacetuicals companies for engineering preferbably in R&D ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Hi I got work experince but Its during the mid term break? Would school insurance still cover it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Hi I got work experince but Its during the mid term break? Would school insurance still cover it? :confused:

No, they give you set dates!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Gaeilge-go-deo

Im doing mine in the Gaelscoil in my town, I went to a normal all boys school so I havent a clue what it'll be like :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Im doing mine in the Gaelscoil in my town, I went to a normal all boys school so I havent a clue what it'll be like :eek:

oh jesus good look to ya lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I've got a week in the DSPCA lined up, and I've sent emails to both compub and microsoft inquiring about work experience for the second week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

was anybody else asked to bring insurance forms into the business's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 XoXoemeeOxOx

OK I have to admit, I havent read all of this thread so Im sorry if this has been said before but I doubt it :P

Id be interested in studying psychology in college so would like to get work experience in that area. I would like to become a psychologist one day but there are very few here (I plan to move to America when Im older :P) let alone one that will offer work experience. So any ideas where I could get work experience in any field of psychology? I guess this sounds dumb :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 XoXoemeeOxOx

Caught wrote: »
    Anyone know about what you do for work experience in
    • a record company?
    • o2?
    • Microsoft?
    • recording studios?
    • the Zoo?
    • radio station?
    • newspaper?
    • anything else to do with music?

:)

Any insight would be great, thanks(:=

I dont think the Zoo takes TYs because you have to be over 18 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Caught wrote: »
    Anyone know about what you do for work experience in
    • a record company?
    • o2?
    • Microsoft?
    • recording studios?
    • the Zoo?
    • radio station?
    • newspaper?
    • anything else to do with music?

:)

Any insight would be great, thanks(:=

Sorry for not replying earlier.
    Radio Station? Get onto a small station, I'd say Cork Campus Radio 98.3fm is a perfect example. You're more likely to get a place, you'd be working in a more friendly environment and you might just get airtime. I did a course in CCR, quite an experience. Thinking I may apply for w/e there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

i've got a week in the national gallery of ireland in dublin.its really hard to find placements

Got a reply from Microsoft, unfortunately its full :(

Hi Kevin

Many thanks for your interest in the transition year program at Microsoft, but unfortunately we are completely full for the 2010/2011 program, best wishes in your work experience search

oh well, will have to try elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Highly doubt it guys. The schools insurance has to cover the work which is being done and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cover that! ...

Well we got the school's insurance letter which I've lost, but it basically said our school's insurance doesn't cover anything overly dangerous, one of the examples being terrorist attacks :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Anyone got any good ideas? I have one week and need one more.

Have any past TY's got any contact with Google? I've sent an e-mail to their jobs department and haven't received a reply but I presume it's the wrong sector.
    Or even if your doing work experience in Google this year, I would really appreciate it if you could share contact info.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Kevin! wrote: »
    Have any past TY's got any contact with Google? I've sent an e-mail to their jobs department and haven't received a reply but I presume it's the wrong sector.
    Or even if your doing work experience in Google this year, I would really appreciate it if you could share contact info.

cheers

Hey Kevin, yea I sent a letter into Google, with my CV, and got no reply. The address I used was the one given on Google Maps for their main offices, since that is where I wanna do the work. I sent the letter ages ago now, so I've left it and gotten placements else where. Are you sure they go take in TYs?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Would anybody happen to know any Software Developing companies in Dublin ? would love some w/e there, or Web Design companies. I went to Hughes & Hughes left my contact info etc.. but they haven't called back D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I have to do a week in a charity :(
    Any suggestions I need it by Friday

• Advertisement

Hey Kevin, yea I sent a letter into Google, with my CV, and got no reply. The address I used was the one given on Google Maps for their main offices, since that is where I wanna do the work. I sent the letter ages ago now, so I've left it and gotten placements else where. Are you sure they go take in TYs?:o

Well, the TY coordinator said that lads from the previous year had gotten placement in Google, so I'm going to try and get any contact information she may have off her tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Does anyone know how you can get into TV3 or RTE for work experience?

There's no information on either site.

Did anyone get work experience there???

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

alleystar wrote: »

I tried the two of them when I was in TY. Don't even bother, unless you know someone who works there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tweedo

alleystar wrote: »

2 people in my year are going to RTE in february. We were told by a teacher that they were offering 2 places and that the students that submitted the best applications letters would get them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Small recording studios are a good idea if you're interested, chances are you'll get to do something of use :)

If you can email the head of a department in a college and ask them in advance they could be able to help you. I got in with Luke O'Neill's department in TCD when I was in TY and actually got to do some hands on stuff, and his lab does some serious research. No connections needed either, just find emails on the college sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

Hey guys im in third year and im thinking of doing ty. Can anybody recommend places to go to. I have an interest in technology programming web design aviation politics business and maybe dentistry. I know it's really early but i just want to get an idea so i can make up a plan so when the time comes and I can send of the applications early as places usually get taken up quickly
    Thanks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    Hey guys im in third year and im thinking of doing ty. Can anybody recommend places to go to. I have an interest in technology programming web design aviation politics business and maybe dentistry. I know it's really early but i just want to get an idea so i can make up a plan so when the time comes and I can send of the applications early as places usually get taken up quickly

Politics: Try your local TD's office or try the Dáil?
    Aviation: I recommend CityJet in their hanger in Dublin Airport, I went there and it was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Spooky1666 wrote: »

Get on to a web design/software design company if your interested in that end, but chances are, unless you can program decently, you'll be making coffee for a week.

Politics? Email a local TD?

Aviation? You'd be lucky to get anything, but there's no harm in trying.

Business? Email a business? :O

Dentistry? Seem above.

David086 wrote: »
    Politics: Try your local TD's office or try the Dáil?
    Aviation: I recommend CityJet in their hanger in Dublin Airport, I went there and it was great!

Thanks but my I ask what exactly did u do in cityjet's hanger?

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Get on to a web design/software design company if your interested in that end, but chances are, unless you can program decently, you'll be making coffee for a week.

Politics? Email a local TD?

Aviation? You'd be lucky to get anything, but there's no harm in trying.

Business? Email a business? :O

Dentistry? Seem above.

Thanks. I can get into the dentistry one easy as I know people who work there :P

Advertisement