Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I spent ages looking for a Scientific place anywhere in Limerick and I couldn't find anything at all. I thought I was getting into the UL Chemistry Department for ages but they came back to me after saying it shouldn't be a problem to tell me they wouldn't be taking anyone this year.

I've ended up rushing a place in the financial department of Stryker Pharmaceuticals (couldn't put me anywhere near the lab) and 2 weeks in the Limerick County Council (hoping I might get into Civil Engineering for one of those) because the submission deadline was approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    Thanks but my I ask what exactly did u do in cityjet's hanger?

I shadowed a mechanic fixing the elevator on the plane. Help another guy put panels onto an engine, was given a crash course on how to fly the rj85, helped another guy do the aircraft checks (like an NCT) and there was other stuff. I recommend only doing a week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 apollo 1

there a manager of training & Dev in tv called gerry moloney. my friend knows him and he's cool. i think hes involved.

I'm stuck for something now too :( I'm interested in Aviation and Technology (something with gadgets, computers, apple products). I've tried the airport and the said no and I wont be able to work in a hanger because I've no way of getting to them. I can get to the airport terminal no problem.

Anyone have any ideas? It can be either the two things I'm interested in or something else.

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

David086 wrote: »
    I'm stuck for something now too :( I'm interested in Aviation and Technology (something with gadgets, computers, apple products). I've tried the airport and the said no and I wont be able to work in a hanger because I've no way of getting to them. I can get to the airport terminal no problem.

Anyone have any ideas? It can be either the two things I'm interested in or something else.

David.

Instead of asking the airport you should ask small aviation business, as they are your best bet, but the best way to get into them is if your know people inside the company, otherwise it is quite hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

David086 wrote: »
    I shadowed a mechanic fixing the elevator on the plane. Help another guy put panels onto an engine, was given a crash course on how to fly the rj85, helped another guy do the aircraft checks (like an NCT) and there was other stuff. I recommend only doing a week though.

That sounds cool :) Y only 1 week?

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    That sounds cool :) Y only 1 week?

Because at times it can be quite boring due to nothing to do, its such a small airline that sometimes a whole day would go by without an aircraft being in the hanger -bad times. When there's an aircraft in the hanger its all systems go -good times. Although I did enjoy being in the engine and battery shop. :D

Starting mine next week. Archaeology for 2 weeks, finance department for a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I've already done a week in apharmacy and now I've been roped into 2 weeks in a playschool.

I feel like I don't really want to do any work experience at all and definately not in a playschool. It was one of the first places I ruled out when I was going through my options and I've only ended up in it because it's 3 houses down from me. At least I have until February to get used to the idea of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Just did a week in PC World, was much more than I could have ever expected - got full on sales experience and the staff were really sound as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

alleystar wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you can get into TV3 or RTE for work experience?

There's no information on either site.

Did anyone get work experience there???

RTE really isn't much use. I got into RedFM for two weeks and it was two weeks I enjoyed the most in TY. Local radio is a great place to go, pressure there isn't as great and the people are far more accommodating (And value you more) A few of my scripts were used on the Sports bulletin as were clips from an interview I did. Looks well on the CV as well because you'll have more things to list that you did. PM me if you want to know anymore about WE at local radio. All the best :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

RTE really isn't much use. I got into RedFM for two weeks and it was two weeks I enjoyed the most in TY. Local radio is a great place to go, pressure there isn't as great and the people are far more accommodating (And value you more) A few of my scripts were used on the Sports bulletin as were clips from an interview I did. Looks well on the CV as well because you'll have more things to list that you did. PM me if you want to know anymore about WE at local radio. All the best :)

As I always say, best radio WE is College Radio. Whereas a local radio station will be great, on college radio you could be getting serious airtime (I got two and a half hours across three time slots that were empty during the week). If you're in Cork get onto Cork Campus Radio, Kieran, the station manager is a really nice guy and will try to organise something for you. I don't know what college stations are going in other cities but I do know that there's one in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

I feel like I don't really want to do any work experience at all and definately not in a playschool. It was one of the first places I ruled out when I was going through my options and I've only ended up in it because it's 3 houses down from me. At least I have until February to get used to the idea of it.

I'm the same. I may have to go to a creche because nowhere, absolutely nowhere I am interested in, will take me. And I've been emailing and calling everywhere I could think of in the theatre/technological/music industry since August. *sigh*

Even where my Mam works can't take me, she's manager there and apparently the HR manager said "from now on they don't do it ever again." My friend went there two years ago nall. :( I've been dying for it since I was really really little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Caught wrote: »
    I'm the same. I may have to go to a creche because nowhere, absolutely nowhere I am interested in, will take me. And I've been emailing and calling everywhere I could think of in the theatre/technological/music industry since August. *sigh*

Even where my Mam works can't take me, she's manager there and apparently the HR manager said "from now on they don't do it ever again." My friend went there two years ago nall. :( I've been dying for it since I was really really little.

Try Currys/PC World, I got work experience their and I have to say it was most definitely the better week. I got both sales and practical experience from it which is absolutely fantastic.

Kevin! wrote: »
    Try Currys/PC World, I got work experience their and I have to say it was most definitely the better week. I got both sales and practical experience from it which is absolutely fantastic.

Seriously? Thanks(: I'll ring them tomorrow.

I just emailed Kiss magazine about summer work experience. I just said however "I am very interested in pursuing a career in theatre, and would really appreciate a weeks work experience in the Kiss offices this summer." Another place where I won't be getting work experience then, I guess.

I gave a TV station the wrong email address over the phone too, when they said they'd be very likely to have a place for me because no-one thinks of going to them. I only realised when I hung up. :L

God Im hopeless at this. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Caught wrote: »
    I gave a TV station the wrong email address over the phone too, when they said they'd be very likely to have a place for me because no-one thinks of going to them. I only realised when I hung up. :L

Ring 'em again? :|

I want my second week of work experience to be somewhere where I can develop into a summer job: can't really do that if I go to a radio station again. Thing is that nowhere around here where I can get summer work comes CLOSE to matching what I want for my future. Decisions, decisions :|

Colm! wrote: »
    Ring 'em again? :|

I want my second week of work experience to be somewhere where I can develop into a summer job: can't really do that if I go to a radio station again. Thing is that nowhere around here where I can get summer work comes CLOSE to matching what I want for my future. Decisions, decisions :|

You could still get a summer job just to have it for your CV. All work experience is better than no work experience, no matter how irrelevant it is. :)
    At least you'd have the experience of some work to put behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

I did mine in the 4 Courts, was based in the district court, most boring job ever, Had alot of work done without a cent pay. Found the law industry extremely boring,repetitive, and depressing. Will not be putting any law courses on my CAO this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    I did mine in the 4 Courts, was based in the district court, most boring job ever, Had alot of work done without a cent pay. Found the law industry extremely boring,repetitive, and depressing. Will not be putting any law courses on my CAO this year.
    They don't have to pay you, with law it's them doing you the favour by taking you on tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Namlub wrote: »
    They don't have to pay you, with law it's them doing you the favour by taking you on tbh.

I wouldn't necessarily say they DID ME A F****** favour! I carried out the equivalent of around 40 hours of organisational work for them without even a F****** thank you.

With Law???!!! ... With any industry, you should get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I wouldn't necessarily say they DID ME A F****** favour! I carried out the equivalent of around 40 hours of organisational work for them without even a F****** thank you.

Getting paid is only a goodwill gesture, they're not obliged to pay you anything seeing as it's work experience and not, y'know, actual employment...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Were you working for a public organisation?

If so, I laugh at the idea of being paid for that.

You mention organisational work, that's not really what law in college is related to, and changes are a solicitor or a barrister wouldn't do a whole lot of it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mad_hatter_xx

A girl I know set up a website in her school for mini company called transitionyearhelp.com
    it basically gives you loads of stuff you need to know about ty, and has a list of work experience and community care placements that will take you :) and it tells you about stuff like gaisce nal :P so if your stuck for anything in ty go to that website!! it halped me coz i left everything last minute but got placements from it in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Muirz3

Does anyone know any good places in Cork to apply to if you want to do something in drama and musical theatre? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Just finished my work experience at Microsoft and I had a great week. Highly recommended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Just finished my work experience at Microsoft and I had a great week. Highly recommended :D

May I just ask how did you contact them? I can't seem to find any contact details that are relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SiobhainD

I went to a speech therapy department. Obviously I didnt get to be very hands on and i wouldnt reccomend anyone to go to anything medical because all i did was office work. I have another round of work experience in may and i was actually told by a teacher not to bother going into something your interested in just go someone that will get you a job. thats my plan for next time anyone have any ideas in the mayo area?

SiobhainD wrote: »
    I went to a speech therapy department. Obviously I didnt get to be very hands on and i wouldnt reccomend anyone to go to anything medical because all i did was office work. I have another round of work experience in may and i was actually told by a teacher not to bother going into something your interested in just go someone that will get you a job. thats my plan for next time anyone have any ideas in the mayo area?
    That is completely wrong. A girl in my class got a placement with a surgeon and he had her doing stuff not even 4th year nurses in college are allowed do. I can't say where it was because she definitely shouldn't have been allowed do what she did (administer injections, etc.) but she was delighted with her placement. She did the rounds with the surgeon's interns, she swapped IV's, took blood, scrubbed in in a surgery. It was generally an amazing experience from what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SiobhainD

Jackobyte wrote: »
    That is completely wrong. A girl in my class got a placement with a surgeon and he had her doing stuff not even 4th year nurses in college are allowed do. I can't say where it was because she definitely shouldn't have been allowed do what she did (administer injections, etc.) but she was delighted with her placement. She did the rounds with the surgeon's interns, she swapped IV's, took blood, scrubbed in in a surgery. It was generally an amazing experience from what she said.
    I guess it depends how strict it is but im just speaking from my own experiences. A college student was there at the time aswell and she was allowed to be more hands on. if it helps anyone I did learn alot about what its like to go into speech therapy.

• Advertisement

SiobhainD wrote: »
    I guess it depends how strict it is but im just speaking from my own experiences. A college student was there at the time aswell and she was allowed to be more hands on. if it helps anyone I did learn alot about what its like to go into speech therapy.
    I know you could only speak from your own experience but I don't think you should recommend people against it, they just have to be aware that they may get boring tasks.

Advertisement