Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

First thing on Thursday when I start school i'm heading straight towards the TY co-ordinator :pac:

Definitely worth it! Not sure about yours, but ours was lovely, she was a bit dippy but wouldn't see anyone stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rach.xo

Looking for placements is really stressing me out :( To be honest, I want to be an author, but since you can't really do experience in that I'm applying at The Irish Times (because at least it's writing) and Trinity Biochemistry.

I know someone in the Irish Times and they've emailed me giving me a title for an article that I have to write and sent back to them in about ten days. My Science teacher said she'll send in an application for me to TCD in September.

I have tons of qualifications in the writing area and some in science (I did a CTYI course in Journalism this summer and loads of [successful] writing competitions, plus Scifest and then planned Young Scientist during TY).

The problem is, neither The Irish Times nor TCD Bio do two-week placements. For my work experience the school's ordered us to get one week in November in one field and then two weeks in February-March in a completely different field. The dates the Irish Times is offering don't match with my school but I really want to work there, and TCD is a week too short. What to do?

I'm in the exact same situation about the Irish Times! Wow, its sounds like you've got tonnes of writing experience! If I were you, if I got accepted into the Irish Times (which you probably will) I would just ask your school for permission to go even if its at the wrong time! It would be such a waste of an opportunity if you didn't, and plus, it's not like they're going to be doing much in school anyway? Good luck, hope you get it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wittle

Does anyone have any idea of something I could do if I'm interested in art? Any field of it really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Wittle wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of something I could do if I'm interested in art? Any field of it really?
    There are a few arts and crafts shops around the Dublin area you could try. You can't really get a career with art as it's more of a hobby and solo thing rather than a business. Ask the Ty Co-ordinator in your school for help :).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ask your art teacher :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

A friend did work experience with a photographer and another was lucky enough to get a place with a film crew (perhaps not the area of art you're interested in, but both would at least give you insight into different fields!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 perksofbeings

I really want to do my work experience in UCC. Does anyone know if positions are offered to people in pharmacy, neuroscience, biochemistry or medicine departments there? also are there any specific programs run for transition years? how would you go about applying for a position in one or for work experience?

I really want to do my work experience in UCC. Does anyone know if positions are offered to people in pharmacy, neuroscience, biochemistry or medicine departments there? also are there any specific programs run for transition years? how would you go about applying for a position in one or for work experience?
    You should check the UCC website. Try get into contact with one of the lecturers there, and they might let you sit in a few lectures of theirs to see how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jay15

Im currently trying to find work experience im interested in animation/gaming can someone please suggest some work experience around Dublin city center or south Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

I'm in 5th year LCVP and trying to get 3 days work experience in some area of Journalism. I emailed the local paper but I doubt they have work for me.

Any ideas in what I could get into in the area of Journalism? It's 3 days during Midterm so it's getting close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rach.xo

hi:) im in ty and i just did a weeks work experience in a hospital, and i really enjoyed it! im looking for another hospital placement now and i cant find any one thats available! i tried the mater, but their applications closed months ago, does anyone know of any other hospitals in dublin that take ty's for work experience? thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

rach.xo wrote: »
    hi:) im in ty and i just did a weeks work experience in a hospital, and i really enjoyed it! im looking for another hospital placement now and i cant find any one thats available! i tried the mater, but their applications closed months ago, does anyone know of any other hospitals in dublin that take ty's for work experience? thanks!

Try Cappagh hospital, my friend did work experience there in TY and I don't think there were too many people there. It's a big orthopaedic hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

jay15 wrote: »
    Im currently trying to find work experience im interested in animation/gaming can someone please suggest some work experience around Dublin city center or south Dublin

This crowd have been making a name for themselves and if you contact them and prove you're actually into Games Development you might have a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fabian2205

Does anyone know of any architects in Cork that take people on for work experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsduffy

I went archaelogy museum in dublin for one of mine, it was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aisling98

Does anyone know of any hospitals in Dublin that do TY work experience programs? I know there's one in RCSI but I hear it's hard to get into and I have no contacts. Thanks!

aisling98 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any hospitals in Dublin that do TY work experience programs? I know there's one in RCSI but I hear it's hard to get into and I have no contacts. Thanks!

Matter Private Hospital do work experience. The only problem is that you need a personal contact from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aisling98

Matter Private Hospital do work experience. The only problem is that you need a personal contact from there.

thank you! I'll try and contact them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Does anyone know any good places to do work experience in the game developing field. Dublin/South Dublin preferably.

Does anyone know any good places to do work experience in the game developing field. Dublin/South Dublin preferably.

I did a week at Swrve but I won the placement in a competition. I made my own version of flappy birds :D but it got boring in the end...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I did a week at Swrve but I won the placement in a competition. I made my own version of flappy birds :D but it got boring in the end...

Cool i'll look into it. Do you know any more places?

Cool i'll look into it. Do you know any more places?

Just ask around. Digit Gaming is another small indie company that are based right beside the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Where should i start when looking for a placement, we need to have one secured before school starts up. I know it would be easy to get a couple weeks in my local shop but I want to do something interesting, any ideas? Where are you guys going to do yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Does anyone have any ideas for something to do with fashion? More like journalism or styling not designing! Gonna try some magazines but I don't know where to begin really

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kelly15fox

good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

Anyone got work experience sorted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

VG31 wrote: »
    Anyone got work experience sorted yet?

I've got 1 week with a barrister in the four courts, and my second week in the local library.

I still need to get something for community care, I don't think most schools do it though (I've never seen it mentioned here). Any ideas for that?

Do you have yours yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    I've got 1 week with a barrister in the four courts, and my second week in the local library.

I still need to get something for community care, I don't think most schools do it though (I've never seen it mentioned here). Any ideas for that?

Do you have yours yet?

No, I'm trying to get something in aviation.

My school does the Gaisce award where you have to do a certain amount of community work for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Xgracie wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas for something to do with fashion? More like journalism or styling not designing! Gonna try some magazines but I don't know where to begin really

http://www.transitionyearhelp.com/#!work-experience

Theres a contact for kiss magazine in Dublin here on page 13 if thats of any interest to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

S_Hick12 wrote: »

Do you have yours yet?

That sounds really good ! I was just wondering how you managed to get work experience with a barrister in the four courts? I would love to do something like that :)

Advertisement