Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I did mine in a meat factory in Thurles in the labs last year cause I like science and stuff. It was great:P Did some sorting out of bacon, office jobs and also learned some stuff:] Also got paid

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I did 6 work experiences this year. They were all really good.

I did one in Trinity College in the Biochemistry and Immunology labs -- thats one I applied for myself. If you check the TCD website early enough you should get a place.

I did another in the Criminal Courts of Justice -- that one was really good too.

I did another in the royal college of surgeons and that was amazing.

I did another in my old primary school, another in Cheeverstown school for disabled children and finally, I did one in the Beacon hospital. They were all really good...I would really recommend any one looking for a career in medicine to go to the Beacon. That one was really well organised because you got a taste of every area of medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Hey everyone, I was just wondering, does anyone know if you are able to do work experience in the Naval Reserve? I know from a few threads here you can do it in the Air Corps, but for some reason I have a feeling the Naval Service would have more restrictions and stuff in relation to work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Conchir wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I was just wondering, does anyone know if you are able to do work experience in the Naval Reserve? I know from a few threads here you can do it in the Air Corps, but for some reason I have a feeling the Naval Service would have more restrictions and stuff in relation to work experience.

Wouldn't know much about the Navy but you can drop them an email navypress@military.ie and they'll be happy to help you, tell them of your location when asking them. The Defence Force people are really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a go.

• Advertisement

Conchir wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, I'll give it a go.

No problemo, tell us how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tystudentx

theres this website www.transitionyearhelp.com which has like companies that take students for work experience and stuff on it, it makes it much easier to find places :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I did another in the Criminal Courts of Justice -- that one was really good too.

Yes, 'tis very good.

If you have a family solicitor or someone you know is a barrister get on to them, the CCoJ are worth a real look. You might be there for a high profile trial, I was there for Eamonn Lillis, YIKES.

The building itself is impressive aswell.

Also, the Four Courts is a good day out in TY, get onto your co-ordinators.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Malv

how did you get yours there? did you go into them cause i emailed them and no got no reply :c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I did 6 work experiences this year. They were all really good.

I did one in Trinity College in the Biochemistry and Immunology labs -- thats one I applied for myself. If you check the TCD website early enough you should get a place.

With Luke O' Neill? I wanted to do that exact work experience but couldn't get to and from the labs (from Limerick) so didn't apply in the end. Had an email all typed out and all. I then tried to get into the industrial biochem labs in UL but before I could organise anything, my Career Guidance teacher was getting all pissed with me for not having my 3rd week organised (this was mid October for work experience starting end of January, which I had 2 out of 3 weeks already organised) and told me to have a placement by the following Monday (it was a Friday) or not to go to his next class, so I ended up with a generic office placement :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I'm really interested in acting :)

Anyone know where I could go to get work experience? Do the Gaiety take on students for work exp?

Also,when do TY studenys have to do work exp? What months? Our school never told us!

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Also,when do TY studenys have to do work exp? What months? Our school never told us!

my school hasnt told us either but its usually 2 weeks in November and February for us. varies in every school

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Does anybody know where i might get something to do with robotics in the East Cork/Cork City area? Or circuitry manufacturing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Did anyone go volunteer for ispca before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 fabulousdiva

is it hard to get work experience in KISS MAGAZINE!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

is it hard to get work experience in KISS MAGAZINE!?
    I don't know about KISS in particular, but newspapers/magazines are always in high demand. There are a lot of would-be journalists out there. You'd want to be applying now I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

anirishlad wrote: »
    Did anyone go volunteer for ispca before?

I'm sure charities will be delighted with any help that is offered.

Though the ISPCA isn't a charity, so, yeah, I fail. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Just finished my work experience at Microsoft and I had a great week. Highly recommended :D

How did you manage to get this placement. can you please pm me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Jackobyte wrote: »
    With Luke O' Neill? I wanted to do that exact work experience but couldn't get to and from the labs (from Limerick) so didn't apply in the end. Had an email all typed out and all. I then tried to get into the industrial biochem labs in UL but before I could organise anything, my Career Guidance teacher was getting all pissed with me for not having my 3rd week organised (this was mid October for work experience starting end of January, which I had 2 out of 3 weeks already organised) and told me to have a placement by the following Monday (it was a Friday) or not to go to his next class, so I ended up with a generic office placement :(

I haven't been on this thread in ages so I only saw your post now!! Yep, the one with Luke O'Neill! It was amazing and I would highly recommend anybody to apply. It sucks that you couldn't do it because it really was a great course...Office placements are the worst! :(

FYG wrote: »
    I'm sure charities will be delighted with any help that is offered.

Though the ISPCA isn't a charity, so, yeah, I fail. :o

Really :confused::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

anirishlad wrote: »
    Really :confused::pac:

No, I'm just stupid. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I don't have a clue where to do my Work Experience anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

All the good places will be taken if you wait too long :p

Just go to a primary school if your really stuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 AnnKiins

Helloooo there xDDD
    I know it's a bit late for talking about Work Experience but I honestly have no idea where to go right now.

SO! Any ideas for places to go for photography, arts and crafts, nail art, make-up ? > w <

AnnKiins wrote: »
    I know it's a bit late for talking about Work Experience but I honestly have no idea where to go right now.

bit late? my school hasnt fully decided on our work experience dates yet!
    Suppose though, our school isnt in a city so its not too hard to get a placement as long as you dont leave til the week before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 AnnKiins

bit late? my school hasnt fully decided on our work experience dates yet!
    Suppose though, our school isnt in a city so its not too hard to get a placement as long as you dont leave til the week before.

Serious? D:
    Thats terrible! You should really ask, just in case they already did xD
    Ahh I see. Your lucky though my school isn't exactly in the city but near enough, I suppose xD
    But lucky for me, the first place I checked, a pharmacy, was taking in students for TY and took my details an n'all!
    I guess I'm sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Figured I'd post my experiences from last year.

Don't worry about where you're doing your placements, just treat it as if you were just working at a normal job.

For anyone interested in music, I did a week in tower records on Wicklow street. Sound people, decent work and it was great fun.

Musicmaker on exchequer street (guitar store) was pretty fun too, the lads are great. A friend of mine did his in waltons, wasn't too keen. Employees are arseholes to be honest.

If you're into photography, forget agencies and papers. Go to your local photographer, especially if they have their own studio. I ended up going out and assisting on engagement and communion shoots, learnt a lot of tips for Photoshop and for organising orders.

Avoid stores were you'll more than likely end up stacking shelves or just being a personal assistant to some asshole.

And also, just relax and act yourself. Don't be afraid to talk, nobody'll get pissed off at you for trying to make conversation! Other wise it'll just be an awkward week or two ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Also, forget emailing. You've little chance of getting a reply.

Phone calls are sometimes okay.

But your number 1 absolute BEST chance is to drop in to wherever you want to do and actually talk to whoever's in charge of work experience placements.

Most places tend to brush emails and voicemails about stuff like that to one side, they tend to concentrate on business and customer emails and calls first.

• Advertisement

Yep, emails are a waste of time if you ask me spent the whole of last year emailing people with no reply. Phone call is your best bet because you can deal with them there and then and of course seeing them in person is a good idea too.

Local Garda Station do take people on but be quick! It's an experience but I found it kind of boring.

Don't go into retail, it's a waste of time and don't get the impression that you'll get a summer job out of it either. It's slave labour if you ask me. Remember you're looking for an experience in a possible future career.

If you're into teaching or kids and that stuff go to your old primary school, I did that and found it quite enjoyable. This can also be something to fall back on if you can't find anything.

It's becoming more and more difficult to find placements so try and get a placement a.s.a.p!

Advertisement