Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

spent last week on work experience in the local primary school, junior infants can be very annoying at times!!!

Overall week was good, i'd advise it if you're looking for ideas . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SoOnSoForth

Hi
    I work in financial services and we've had a couple of TYs recently. My advice is:
    (1) cv what cv... make sure you put in your cover letter that you're very good at EXCEL - mention knowing excel stuff like vlookup. Can't stress the importance of this enough...and if you do get in, make sure that's not a lie (not sure how you can learn this stuff but hey that's what the internet is for). Also if you're good at Maths or even Science do mention that.

(2) you're more likely to get in if you want to come for 2 weeks rather than one...also doing a full day rather than leaving at 2/3 would help

(3) probably better to write in to an individual department rather than HR, as HR might just apply their default policy of "we don't do TYs". Even if you don't know anyone's name or job title, make up one - say "Head of Actuarial" or such like...The post guys will make sure it actually goes somewhere vaguely resembling that rather than HR..

That's it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Went to a primary school and it was brilliant. Everyone should try it out, even if they aren't sure about teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 .:x.smile.x:.

Did mine in Microsoft and it was brilliant. If you're into Xbox or video games or technology whatsoever you'll love it. Did it in a Montessori too and it was grand because I got off at 1pm every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Did it in a Montessori too and it was grand because I got off at 1pm every day.

Ye I'm doing a montessori......and I'm a guy...:rolleyes:.

NO wait, that should be....:cool:.

Should be different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sarahpop

thinkin of doin experience in a newspaper/magazine and somethin sciencey any ideas?:confused::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 JamesMcAteer93

Did mine in Microsoft and it was brilliant. If you're into Xbox or video games or technology whatsoever you'll love it. Did it in a Montessori too and it was grand because I got off at 1pm every day.

X.SMILE.X I was wondering if you have any contact number for Microsoft as i would love to do work experience with them? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hermunkla

Hi, if I may butt in. The real prize of Work Experience apart from the experience itself is the fact that now you already have something extra to put on your CV when you eventually enter the wwww(Weird and Wonderful World of Work).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 .:x.smile.x:.

X.SMILE.X I was wondering if you have any contact number for Microsoft as i would love to do work experience with them? Thanks

Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 43 JamesMcAteer93

Thanks .:x.smile.x:.!!! I really hope i get in!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dhayes1981

Anyone heard of any summer party's happening soon:D??

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Any suggestions of where I could do w/e if I wanted to be a nutritionist?

Or interested in sports science?

Preferably not in a hospital, unless it's real good.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Any suggestions of where I could do w/e if I wanted to be a nutritionist?

Or interested in sports science?

Preferably not in a hospital, unless it's real good.
    :D

Some sports teams ( esp. rugby teams) would have nutritionists, it might be helpful if you tried to contact one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I did my work experience in the WIT library. The staff were lovely but they really had nothing for me to do, apart from stack the odd shelf or sit in front of a computer. Some bits were enjoyable but a whole week of it was a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Some sports teams ( esp. rugby teams) would have nutritionists, it might be helpful if you tried to contact one of them?

Yea, that's a good idea! Thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I managed to get work experience at Microsoft but its during my mid term break :rolleyes:. Ah well at least I got in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

got a week in musicmaker, if it goes well i might ask to do another :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

My school only does two weeks and I've talked to loads of people saying they'd rather do four. Dya think if we said it to the TY coordinator she'd let us do at least an extra week?

And if she doesnt, dya think it'd be okay to take the week off for work experience? :L I found out I gave some places the wrong dates. :L Like, a month off. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Hey Guys, I was wondering if anyone knows if Aer Lingus or any other Irish airline based in Dublin does work experience? I am interested in becoming a pilot or working in aviation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

David086 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, I was wondering if anyone knows if Aer Lingus or any other Irish airline based in Dublin does work experience? I am interested in becoming a pilot or working in aviation.

Same here actually. Anyone with any info or anything, that'd be great.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

i worked in dublin airport last year for my wrk exp...it was class and you get to meet aload of famous people like the irish soccer team and westlife etc

What did you do? And what were the hours like?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭clo4cb

Anyone here plan on going to a restaurant for work experience as a chef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

DylanS09 wrote: »
    Same here actually. Anyone with any info or anything, that'd be great.:)

Highly doubt it guys. The schools insurance has to cover the work which is being done and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cover that! There's an option to pay extra for construction work, etc. but I'm pretty sure there's nothing about cover for Airlines. You could always try contacting your career guidance teacher and finding out, but I doubt any Airline would consider it for insurance reasons anyway. Maybe try getting work experience in a college where they offer Pilot training or something, it would probably be the next best solution! :)

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Highly doubt it guys. The schools insurance has to cover the work which is being done and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cover that! There's an option to pay extra for construction work, etc. but I'm pretty sure there's nothing about cover for Airlines. You could always try contacting your career guidance teacher and finding out, but I doubt any Airline would consider it for insurance reasons anyway. Maybe try getting work experience in a college where they offer Pilot training or something, it would probably be the next best solution! :)

Oh I know they wouldn't let us on a plane or anything, but like working in an airport or something, just to get a feel for the place... I dunno!:o

DylanS09 wrote: »
    Oh I know they wouldn't let us on a plane or anything, but like working in an airport or something, just to get a feel for the place... I dunno!:o

You could probably get some receptionist work or something in there, but maybe try a university where there's a department that deals with something like that! :) Might as well try emailing some of them now, because coming up to the time of Work Exp. many people will be doing it so the time you're looking for could be booked up!

You could probably get some receptionist work or something in there, but maybe try a university where there's a department that deals with something like that! :) Might as well try emailing some of them now, because coming up to the time of Work Exp. many people will be doing it so the time you're looking for could be booked up!

I'm too lazy...go do it for me, NAO!

EDIT: Or not.. :(

Anyone know about what you do for work experience in
    • a record company?
    • o2?
    • Microsoft?
    • recording studios?
    • the Zoo?
    • radio station?
    • newspaper?
    • anything else to do with music?

:)

Any insight would be great, thanks(:=

Caught wrote: »
    Anyone know about what you do for work experience in
    • a record company?
    • o2?
    • Microsoft?
    • recording studios?
    • the Zoo?
    • radio station?
    • newspaper?
    • anything else to do with music?

:)

Any insight would be great, thanks(:=

o2
    O2 shop or O2 HQ?
    If its an O2 shop, just general sales.
    If its the O2 HQ, mainly just office work.

radio station
    If you want to get Work Exp. in a radio station apply NOW. They fill up immediately fast. I had to apply 8 months before hand to get mine. All I did was worked in the studio, just helping out with whatever I was asked, nothing massively interesting tbh. Office work, getting lunches, etc.

o2
    O2 shop or O2 HQ?
    If its an O2 shop, just general sales.
    If its the O2 HQ, mainly just office work.

radio station
    If you want to get Work Exp. in a radio station apply NOW. They fill up immediately fast. I had to apply 8 months before hand to get mine. All I did was worked in the studio, just helping out with whatever I was asked, nothing massively interesting tbh. Office work, getting lunches, etc.

Sorry, I meant the actual o2. And I'm actually applying for Spin1038 at this very moment. They said to apply at the start of August. :)

• Advertisement

Caught wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant the actual o2. And I'm actually applying for Spin1038 at this very moment. They said to apply at the start of August. :)

Well at least you've applied to one! I'm pretty sure they only give one weeks work exp. though!

Advertisement