Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday November 23rd:

Run
    2km (9:30 mins, ~170 cals) ... intervals up and down --> 12/15/10kmph
    ---
    Squat
    35kg x5
    75kg x5
    90kg x5 x5 x4 ... so close to 3x5! Pb for reps at 90kg. Video of first set to follow
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    60kg - 3x8

Bench Press (dumbbell, slight incline)
    24kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Pleased with the squats. Almost made the last rep on the 3x5, but ran out of steam half way up the 5th rep of the 3rd set. It all ended with a clank on the pins.

I was actually going for a 5x5 @90kg. That was pretty optimist though. Still pleased with the above. Previously my max at 90kg was 3 reps on the way up to 100 or 105kg.

I need to get to the gym earlier on a Sunday night. It is usually empty enough to have a decent session between 7 and 8pm. Tonight I ran out of time again and had to race through the stiff leg deads and incline bench. I had wanted to do barbell lunges, leg press and maybe single leg split squats / leg extension / leg curl.

I'm around 75kg at the moment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tuesday November 25th:

Rowing
    1000m (4:36 mins) ... easy pace warm up
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg x5
    90kg x5
    120kg x5 x4 x3 x2 x1 ... pb for reps at 120kg i.e 120kg is 5kg under current 1 rep max
    90kg - 3x5

Shrugs
    15kg plate per arm - 3x10 ... supersets with last 3 deadlift sets
    ---
    Bicep Curl (oly bar)
    20kg - 2x10

Military Press (oly bar)
    20kg - 2x10
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg - 2x10
    ---

I probably should have stayed at home tonight and taken an extra days rest. Legs were still in bits from squats on Sunday and I was generally tired and hadn't eaten much.

Nonetheless the deadlifts were rather good. I was planning a hopelessly optimistic 5x5 @120kg. After the first set I knew I'd be leaving in a coffin if I went for that... so I scaled it back by 1 rep per set.

The curls, press and face pulls were super easy as I was in bits and on the way out the door.

Tomorrow = sore. Now = bed.

Thrusday November 27th:

Squat
    30kg x5
    70kg x5
    90kg - 5x5 ... personal best for 5x5
    ---
    Lunges (oly bar)
    45kg x8
    40kg x8
    30kg x8
    ---
    Bicep Curl (oly bar)
    30kg - 3x8
    ---
    Military Press (oly bar)
    30kg - 2x8 ... easy
    ---

I have absolutely stuffed food into myself for the past 2 days and feel like a barrel. It paid off though. Deadlift DOMS from 2 days ago has almost gone... plus I made the 90kg 5x5 squat.

Legs are in bits now.

Would have done a 3rd set on the military press but got talking to the fellow who orders equipment. New clips not in yet and he won't order 1.25kg plates 'cos apparently people rob them. He reckons 5kg is a small enough increment for legs... even for women who are at the max on their squat ... LOL :rolleyes:

Saturday November 29th:

Press Ups
    x10 ... warm up for bench

Lat Pull Down
    50kg x10 ... warm up for bench
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg x 10
    75kg x5 x5 x5 x4 x2
    60kg x7
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    x5 x5 x5 x4 x3
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell, incline)
    24kg - x8 x8 x7
    ---
    Shoulder Press (dumbbell, seated)
    22kg - x3 x3 x5
    ---
    Pull Over (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 3x8
    5kg per arm - 1x8

Fly (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 3x8
    5kg per arm - 1x8
    ---
    Calf Raise (smith machine)
    20kg x12
    80kg 3x12
    50kg x12
    ---
    Ab Pulldown
    41.25kg - 5x15
    ---
    Face Pulls
    11.25kg - 3x8
    ---
    External Rotation (pulley, cable)
    3.25kg x8
    1.25kg 4x8
    ---
    One Arm Row (low pulley, cable)
    7.5kg - 2x8
    ---
    Bicep Curl (mini bar)
    30kg - 3x10
    ---
    Run 1km (6:01 mins, ~ 85 cals)
    ---

• Advertisement

Sunday November 30th: At home

Lying External Rotation (dumbbell)
    2kg - 3x12
    ---
    Lying 45 Degree Lateral Raise (dumbbell)
    4kg - 3x12
    ---
    Tricep Extension (dumbbell)
    4kg - 3x10
    ---
    Bicep Curl (dumbbell)
    4kg - 3x10
    ---
    Reverse Fly (dumbbell)
    1kg - 1x10
    2kg - 1x10

Fly (dumbbell, standing, incline)
    1kg - 1x10
    2kg - 1x10
    ---

Everything super light except the first two external rotation exercises.

Monday December 1st:

Run 2km (10:06 mins, ~170 cals)
    ---
    Deadlift
    70kg x5
    120kg x2
    120kg x1
    100kg 2x5
    100kg x1 :mad: :eek: :p lol ... just gave up

Shoulder Press (dumbbell)
    18kg x5 x6 x7 x8
    ---
    Ab Pulldown (kneeling, high pulley, cable)
    48.5kg x10 ... max stack
    ---

I was knackered before the gym this evening. Usually the jog there gives me a new lease of life and I feel nicely energised. Not this time. The rabbit stayed firmly in the hat.

Tonights deadlifts were supposed to an attempt to better the 15 reps (over 5 sets) that I got last Tuesday at 120kg.

I think I need to leave more time between the bench, squat and deads. Currently I'm taking roughly 1 day off between each. I need at least 2 free days before deads.

Bodyweight is now 77kg. My increase in weight is nagging at the back of my mind. I'm loath to put on fat and wanted to put some cardio in first. It finished me tonight before I'd even started.

Oh, but the ab pull downs rocked. I almost get pulled up in the air now. Wahey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Your squatting is just burning up the place. 90kg 5x5 is savage considering a few pages back it wasn't far off your 1RM!

Wednesday December 10th:

Squat
    60kg x20
    110kg x fail ... missed a half arsed pb attempt
    100kg x2
    80kg - 2x5

Military Press (oly bar)
    30kg x10
    40kg -2x8
    ---
    Pull Ups (parallel, close grip)
    bodyweight + 6kg x8 x4 ... belt is about 1.5kg, gonna round it down to one in case my scales is dodgy... plus a 5kg plate

Ab Pull Down (kneeling, high cable pulley)
    48.75kg - 2x10 ... max stack
    ---
    Run 1km (6:00, ~85 cals) ... slow, cool down.
    ---

I was away for a stag in Portugal and needed the past few days to recover. Tonight goes down as "getting back into it".

Pleased with the pull up/dip belt which arrived a few days ago in the post. I'll go heavier next time. The pull up bar is about 2 foot above me so it is hard enough jumping with an extra 5kg. I'll need to find a step or something to go above bodyweight +10kg.

I've made up my mind to get my waist line back to 32 inches-ish. Tonight I was shopping for new suits and couldn't fit into 32's :eek: I've eaten a lot more than usual in the past months, gotten a good bit stronger... but a bit of fat too.

Oh, ... and I missed the 110kg squat pb attempt. Not bothered though as my heart and head weren't in it. It was just for the laugh really, after the 60kg 20 reps. At last... I've stuck my flag in the ground for 20 reps and have a target to improve upon. 60kg wasn't too tough.

Saturday December 13th:

Bench Press
    30kg - 2x10
    75kg x5 x5 x4 x3 x2 ... still not making the 5x5. Today = 19 reps.

One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    14kg - 7x8
    ---
    bodyweight + 11kg x5 x3 x3 x2 x1 ... happy enough. Belt comfy.
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (cable, high pulley)
    48.75kg x10
    31.25kg - 2x20 ... abs knackered from pull ups so reduced weight
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell) ... did the fly, pull overs and french press as a triple set with no rest between the 3 until completing one cycle
    8kg - 5x8 ... light

Pull Over (dumbbell)
    8kg - 5x8

French Press (dumbbell)
    8kg - 3x8
    8kg - 2x5 ... weight sounds light but triceps on fire after pull overs
    ---
    Calf Raises
    bodyweight - 4x20
    ---
    Good Mornings (oly bar)
    20kg x8
    30kg 2x8 ... nice hamstring stretch
    ---
    Power Clean & Press
    30kg x8
    40kg x8
    50kg x6 ... had to rest for about 15 secs on the ground before getting the 6th rep out. Pleased with the 50kg considering the bench earlier
    ---
    Face Pulls
    11.25kg - 3x8
    ---
    Run 1km (4:53 mins, 85 cals)
    ---

Good session. The highlight was Green Athene getting a full proper pull up for the first time.

Used a slightly narrower bench grip (a few mm) from the middle of my sets onwards. It feels a bit sturdier as I think my hands seem to slip outwards gradually during my sets, making the later reps harder.

Bodyweight @ 76kg today.

• Advertisement

Sunday December 14th (afternoon):

Walk 5.6 km

Went along the usual loop. Bizarrely enough half of it was spent being followed by a helicopter. It must have been on some kind of training exercises. Still, it was a bit freaky, hoovering over the same area and moving at walking-ish pace.

Gym later.

Sunday December 14th (evening):

Deadlift
    60kg - 3x5
    100kg x2
    130kg x1 ... personal best by 5kg. About time. Vid to follow
    135kg x fail. ... Next time when rested
    120kg x1 ... vid to follow
    100kg x5 ... vid to follow
    90kg - 3x5
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Ez Curl
    27.5kg - 2x8 ... assuming EZ curl bar = 7.5kg
    ---

Good.

BossArky wrote: »

Deadlift
    130kg x1 ... personal best by 5kg. About time. Vid to follow
    135kg x fail. ... Next time when rested
    120kg x1 ... vid to follow
    100kg x5 ... vid to follow

Agggghh! I deleted the 130kg pb before transferring it from camera to pc. Stupid me. I thought I had two vids of myself standing around aimlessly in front of the bar.. when it fact there was only one. The other was the pb. I'll get 135kg next week when rested so will vid that one.

Anyway, the 130kg pb looked similar to the 120kg vid below, except I went up on ym toes more.

I think my form is kinda dodgy... so constructive critism appreciated. I'm hoping to hit 150kg ~ bodyweight 75kg (i.e. double bodyweight) by end of march 09. Originally I was planning 150kg by the end of this year, however that is not going to happen in the next few weeks.

Here is 100kg x2 on the way up to 130kg:

.. and this is 120kg x1 on the way down from 130kg:

.. and 100kg x5 on the way down from 120kg:

Tuesday December 16th:

Run 3km (14:33 mins, 260 cals) ... starting at 11kmph, increasing by 0.1kmph every 100m until up to 14kmph at 3km. Had planned 5km in ~25 mins but couldn't keep the pace up so stopped at 3km.
    ---
    Bike 3km (6:22 mins, 80 cals) ... medium to fast intervals
    ---
    Pull Ups
    bodyweight x10
    ---

I sweat buckets tonight, ... all part of my back to 75kg bodyweight (and 32 inch trouser waist!) plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hey dude, you forgot to keep the v= part of the code for your vids, this is the video though isn't it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLpzDmQSv_o

I'm not the best person to ask about form but I would really wonder whether you are putting the weight on the balls of your feet or your heels when you can do a sort of calf raise to get the bar to the top of the lift. I know I mentioned this before wrt squats but changing your runners for flat soled shoes would help this. Also pretty sure your hips are not the first things that should be moving as seems to be the case here. Try driving your heels into the ground and pushing the floor away (sounds weird at first but when you try it it makes sense). Someone who knows better might want to check if that's a load of crap or not.

Hey Brian, the youtube was posted correctly above. The display problem was the youtube embed tags were not working, part of a general boards.ie tech glitch since yesterday evening. Seems to be fixed now.

I had planned to do that evenings deadlifting barefoot, but left my runners on in the heat of the moment :pac: Cheers for the input, I'll bear it in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hey dude sorry I realised that after I tried to embed a vid of my own. If you are having trouble keeping the weight on your heels (I imagine when running its the opposite?) try wiggling your toes just before your start the movement, and push into the ground with your heels as I said above. Still might be worth double checking with someone who knows more though!

Wednesday December 17th:

bodyweight +11kg x7
    bodyweight +6kg x5.5
    bodyweight x7

Push Ups (feet elevated)
    3x12

Shoulder Dislocates
    3x12
    ---
    Squat
    40kg x5
    60kg x4
    90kg x3
    100kg x1
    110kg x fail :mad: :confused::rolleyes:
    90kg x5
    80kg x5
    70kg x5
    60kg x5
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    20kg x10 ... 2 mins left before closing, quick grap something..!
    ---
    Shrugs
    15kg plate per arm x10 ... 1 min left before closing
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg x10 ... 30 secs left before closing
    ---

Looks like I'm not going to make the 110kg squat this year.

Gym was packed, couldn't get the rack at the start and felt a bit rushed. A bit tired today following yesterday evenings cardio. Maybe the combination of that plus starting with the pull ups tonight ruined any chance of the 110kg squat.

Saturday December 20th:

Cuban Press (standing, dumbbell)
    3kg per arm - 3x10 ... bench rotator cuff warm up

External Rotation (standing, cable pulley)
    3.25kg per arm x10
    1.75kg per arm 2x10 ... bench rotator cuff warm up
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg x10
    60kg x5
    75kg x3
    90kg xfail :mad:
    80kg x1
    70kg x2
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    bodyweight + 11kg x5 x3
    bodyweight + 6kg x1 ... ouch so stopped. May be related to a strain from shoulder dislocates the other day
    bodyweight x5 x3
    ---
    Fly (slight incline, dumbbell)
    6kg - 3x10 ... too light as usual, but a bit of a stretch after the bench

Halbert Raise (dumbbell)
    6kg - 3x10 ... just the correct weight
    ---
    One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    26kg per arm - 3x8

Pull Over (dumbbell)
    6kg per arm - 3x5 ... mickey mouse stuff, may drop these altogether

French Press (dumbbell)
    6kg per arm - 3x5 ... mickey mouse stuff, may drop these too
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (kneeling, cable, high pulley)
    48.75kg x10 x10 x10 x7 x5 ... max stack
    ---
    Lat Pull Down
    75kg x5 ... sloppy, not the best full reps
    65kg x5 ... better
    60kg x5
    55kg x5
    50kg x5
    45kg x5
    40kg x5
    35kg x5
    30kg x5
    ---
    Run
    1km (4:43 mins, ~90 cals) ... started at 11kmph, increased gradually to end at 18.5kmph
    ---
    Bodyweight seems to be stabilising at 76kg. So, as planned, I've lost a bit of weight. Strength down a bit too. Looking forward to busting back into 5x5s in the new year. I miss them! Damn these 1 rep max attempts over the past while.

That was more than likely my last bench 1 rep max test of the year. I failed to hit 100kg (by 12.5kg) this year. My strength seems fine when doing 5x5s and eating loads ... but I seem to be going backwards in the past month since becoming concerned about getting back to 75kg bodyweight i.e. eating less and not as much milk / carbs.

Hmmm... what to do, what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Well done man on the progress this year. Those were some pretty daunting goals you set anyway especially trying to keep to 75kg bodyweight.

On the deadlifts I think what Brian was alluding to was the way you kind of ended up on your tippy toes at the end. Your form is good overall, you are lifting the bar with leg drive not stiff legging it like so many do. The thing is if you're ending up on your tippy toes you are a bit to far forward in the lift. All you need to bear in mind is to pull up and back. That's why so many people cut their shins deadifting because the bar gets pulled back into them. At the top of the lift you should be leaning back on your heels with your shoulders pulled back. That backwards force is important and will add weight to your lifts.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input Kev. I'll probably have one more attempt at a 1 rep max deadlift in the next few days. Might try it barefoot and see what happens whilst concentrating on leaning back / keeping bar closer to shins.

That Spud belt rocks by the way. I haven't tried it out yet for dips... but feels great on the pull ups.

Sunday December 21st:

Walk 5.6km

Tuesday December 23rd:

Deadlift ... barefoot for the first time
    60kg x8
    80kg x6
    100kg x4
    120kg x1
    135kg x fail three times
    100kg - 3x5
    ---
    Shrugs
    20kg plate per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Pull Ups
    bodyweight x8 ... narrow, parallel grip
    bodyweight x6 ... wide, palms away grip

Shoulder Press (standing, dumbbells)
    20kg per arm - 2x8
    ---

I managed to get the 135kg off the ground each time, but it wouldn't go up any further. Got a vid of one of them but no time to put it up as it is now holiday time!

Not sure if I'll get to a proper gym when back in Ireland. I definetly won't be doing anymore 1 rep max attempts this year.

In summary for 2008 my targets were:

Bench 100kg
    Squat 100kg
    Deadlift 150kg

...and I managed:

Bench 87.5kg (-12.5kg)
    Squat 105kg (+5kg)
    Deadlift 130kg (-20kg)

Over the next week or so I'm going to have a think about what I'll aim for in 2009.

Happy hols :pac:

Tuesday December 30th:

Golf 12 holes

Friday January 2nd:

Swim 550m
    • 150m mixture bs & fc
    • 200m bs
    • 200m fc

I have come up with a number of fitness new years resolutions. I'll post them up soon once they are finalised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hey just saw the DL vids... they looked plenty strong, but man it looked like you were getting pulled forwards very badly.

Try to keep your weight more on your heels, get you shoulders behind the bar, chest and head up, and pull up AND back. should help some!

Thanks Hanley, I'll bear that in mind. I need to focus on my deadlifting this year... more so than in the last year where I kinda let squatting take over.

Saturday January 3rd:

Deadlift
    60kg - 2x8
    100kg - 5x5
    60kg - 1x8

Bench Press (dumbbell)
    26kg per arm - 5x5

Shoulder Press (dumbbell, seated)
    16kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Pull Ups (wide grip)
    bw x5 x4 x3
    ---

Easy enough session to break into the new year. It took just 25 mins.

I'm going to try getting to the gym on weekday mornings for opening at 6:30am for January. If that works out I'll stick to it. That will give me a bit more time to relax in the evenings and do other stuff / get to bed earlier.

Here are my fitness goals for 2009. They are in no particular order. I think they are all manageable enough. The first 5 may be the easier ones.
    1. Bodyweight: Stay close to 75kg. Currently 76kg. I want to be lean, strong & fast, as opposed to just strong. In 2008 I put on a bit of fat whilst getting stronger. I want to avoid that this year.

2. Bench Press: Target = 100kg. Same as last years goal. Add 12.5kg to current 1 rep max. I made some decent progress initially from August to Oct in 2008, then totally stalled. More dumbbell work required I think.

3. Squat: Target = 125kg. Add 20kg to current 1 rep max.

4. Deadlift: Target = 150kg. Add 20kg to current 1 rep max.

5. Pull Ups: Target = 20 bodyweight reps. Best I've managed thus far is about 13 or 14 back in Septembers Gladiator contendor trials.

6. Threadmill 800m: Target = 2 mins 30 seconds

7. Power Clean & Press: Target = 60kg. Need to work on wrist flexibility a lot first.

8. Snatch: Target = learn how to do it! Probably with 30kg.

• Advertisement

Sunday January 4th:

Bicep Curl (mini bar)
    35kg - 5x5

Calf Raise
    bw - 5x20
    ---
    Calf Raise (oly bar)
    45kg - 5x15
    ---
    Shrug
    25kg plate per arm - 3x10

Calf Raise
    25kg plate per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Bicep Curl (oly bar)
    40kg - x8 x4 x2

Inverted Row
    bw - 3x5
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (kneeling, pulley)
    45.5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Run
    1km (4:54 mins, 85 cals)
    ---

Today was beauty therapy - abs, biceps, calves and a bit of cardio.

Advertisement