Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday January 5th:

Squat
    40kg x8
    50kg x5
    60kg x5
    70kg x5
    80kg x5

Bench Press (dumbbell)
    26kg per arm - 5x5
    ---
    Lunges (oly bar)
    40kg - x8, x9
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    40kg - x8, x9
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg - 2x10
    ---

Woke up at 6am, got to the gym for 6:30am. The above took 30 mins. The 1km-ish jog there and back was great fun in the snow :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Deadlift … in just socks
    65kg – 2x8
    105kg – 5x5

Shoulder Press (dumbbell)
    2.5kg per arm – 2x8 … warm up with oly bar clips
    20kg per arm – 3x5

Calf Raise … in just socks
    Bw – 3x20

I was concentrating on pulling back on the deadlifts, as well as up. This caused me to hop the bar off my shins a bit.

Lifting in socks gets me a few funny looks. It seems to help stop the feeling of being pulled forward.

I just realised that doing calf raises in just socks gives a slightly greater ROM as the runner heals are gone.

Another 6:30am workout. I was seriously contemplating just putting in minimal effort and sleeping on the stationary bike as I walked to the gym this morning. I was really tired. The first two sets of deadlifts at 105kg nearly killed me. I’m definetly not a morning person. Maybe that will change by the end of January if I keep this 6:30am workout on weekdays up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I've never DL'ed in just socks, always Cons, but I'm really considering it if it makes things seem a bit more natural - I seem to find myself feeling pulled forwards too and it can put me off a bit alright.

I'd love to be able to get into a routine of 0600 / 0630 workouts but I find it hard to get to sleep early enough to be up for it. Might try it again next week because it'd suit me so much better than working out in the evenings. Do you find being "just awake" affects your workout much? What time to you hit the sack at to be up for 0600?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ass a matter of interest bossaryk how long are you awake and mobile before you hit the gym?

Hey guys,
    I've never DL'ed in just socks, always Cons, but I'm really considering it if it makes things seem a bit more natural

I suppose the jury is still out for me. It is only the second time I've tried deadlifting in socks. Being closer to the ground seems to make sense though.
    Do you find being "just awake" affects your workout much? What time to you hit the sack at to be up for 0600?

I'm not sure what it is but the weight feels like 20% more than usual in a morning workout! It is probably a combination of lack of food, sleepy head & freezing cold weather for run to the gym.

I am aiming to be in bed by 10pm if I want to get up for early morning gym, or 10:30pm if not going to the gym. This is to keep the sleep pattern slightly similar.
    ass a matter of interest bossaryk how long are you awake and mobile before you hit the gym?

Get up at 6am. Have porridge & tea finished by 6:20am. Jog ~1km to gym for 6:30am.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    . Jog ~1km to gym for 6:30am.

ah the jog make a hell of a difference!!!!!

Saturday January 10th:

Squat
    20kg - 2x5
    50kg x5
    70kg x5
    90kg x5
    100kg x5 ... pb for reps at 100kg
    80kg x5
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    60kg - 4x8
    ---
    Calf Raise
    bw - 9x10 ... supersets with each Squat and SLDL sets above
    ---
    Lat Pull Down
    35kg - 2x5 ... warm up for pull ups
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    bw - 5x5
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbells)
    28kg per arm - 5x5

Bicep Curl (seated, dumbbells)
    12kg per arm - x8, x6, 3x5
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (high pulley, kneeling)
    45.5kg - 3x10 ... max stack available
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg x8, x10, x12
    ---
    Run
    1km (4:58, ~90 cals)
    ---

I keep forgetting to do the Ab Pull Down standing as opposed to kneeling.

All leg exercises today done in just socks. Squat felt more solid. I'm not sure if that is down to just doing it in socks or having the xmas break to recuperate.

Best session for a few months.

Tuesday January 13th: Morning 6:30am - 7:05am

Deadlift
    20kg x8
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    110kg - 5x5
    ---
    Shoulder Press (seated, dumbbell)
    20kg per arm - 5x5 ... easy
    ---
    Calf Raise
    bw - 5x10 ... peasy
    ---

The first three sets of the 5x5 deadlifts were a killer. Woke up & warmed up after that a bit.... which was when I was more or less finished. Arms felt like they were pulled out of sockets on the walk home!

The shoulder press was easy. Need to increase the weight a bit.

Thursday January 15: Morning 6:35am - 7:10am

Squat
    20kg - 2x8
    70kg - 1x5
    90kg - 5x5 ... equals 5x5 pb

Bench Press (dumbbell)
    2.5kg per arm - 2x8
    28kg per arm - 5x5
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg - 2x8

BW - 2x5
    ---

The 90kg 5x5 squat was fine. I should have worn a t-shirt with sleaves though. My wife beater had my shoulders all sweaty and the bar was slipping down a lot during the last 3 sets. As I went to rack the last set the bar slipped off my upper back on the right hand side and I had to hold it at an awkward angle as I staggered it into the rack. It ended up one peg lower on that side.

Supersetting the dumbbell bench with the squats probably wasn't a good idea either. The bench caused my chest to be tighter, which meant I held the bar wider for the squat... which caused it to slip a bit I guess.

All this concentration on the slippy bar took my mind off the squatting itself. Looking back, it was actually pretty easy and I didn't feel wrecked after it at all. I'll definetly be looking at a new 5x5 pb next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hey Boss, do you have a video / anything to show these ab pull downs? Everyone seems to be doing them now? They're definitely flavour of the month, I usually leave the ab exercises for the summer.
    I'm guessing it's to help with the deadlifting / squat?

• Advertisement

I just had a quick look on youtube but couldn't find a decent video of the way I do them. There are a few different variations it seems.

My version is kneeling facing the weight stack about 2 feet back (so head dosen't hit the stack). I hold the two handled rope so that a handle is roughly behind each ear... and then pull down contracting abs. Try to touch your elbows off the floor, or mat (protects knees).

If I get a chance on Saturday I'll try to get a vid of them.

You can also do them standing, facing away from the stack, with back supported around waist height.

Yes, they are supposed to help build a strong squat and deadlift. They also feel cool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Actually from what you've described I've done these a few times, they really make you feel like a big shot too :pac:

Saturday January 17th:

Pull Ups
    25 as follows:
    • 1x13 ... equals pb
    • 2x6

Shoulder Press (standing, dbs) ... supersets with pull ups
    14kg per arm - 1x13
    14kg per arm - 2x6
    ---
    External Rotation (pulley)
    1.25kg per arm - 5x8
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    50kg - 3x8

Power Clean & Press
    50kg - 2x1 ... singles
    50kg - 2x5
    ---
    Ab Pull Down
    kneeling: 45.5kg - 3x10
    standing: 31.25kg - 2x10
    standing: 36.25kg - 1x10
    ---
    Run 1km (5:15mins, ~90 cals)
    ---

Woke up this morning with a pain in my neck / left shoulder which must have been to do with the way I was sleeping. It made the workout a bit painful. I was in two minds as to whether or not to go.

The plan was to do 50 pull ups. I stopped after 25 due to fatigue and neck pain.

I found the standing ab pull down harder than the kneeling one as you can see from the weight used. I could probably go a bit heavier on the standing ones though once warmed up.

edit - I don't know where that smiley in the title came from! It wasn't a smiley workout!

Sunday January 18th:

Bench Press (dumbbells)
    12.5kg per arm - 1x8 ... warm up
    30kg per arm - 5x5 ... most I've attempted with dumbbells I think

Fly (dumbbell)
    12.5kg per arm - 1x8 ... warm up
    ---
    Calf Raise (standing)
    bw - 5x12

Calf Raise (dumbbell on knee, seated)
    30kg dumbbell per knee - 3x10
    ---
    Bicep Curl (mini bar)
    35kg - 5x5

Hanging Leg Raise (knees bent, feet to hands)
    bw - 3x8
    ---
    Ab Pull Down
    48.5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Good Mornings
    20kg x8
    40kg x8

Calf Raise (oly bar)
    40kg - 1x20
    60kg - 1x20
    40kg - 1x20 ... this one held in front squat position
    ---

Neck still a bit sore.

My next few workouts should be interesting. I'm getting to the stage where the 5x5's on squat (90kg), deadlift (110kg->115kg) and bench (30kg dumbbells) are more or less at the max I've ever done at 5x5, so hopefully will get a few pbs in the coming weeks as I push them higher.

I don't want to rush them though, and may repeat some 5x5 weights that I can manage just below max. I don't want to go too heavy and stall just two weeks into the new year.

Tuesday January 20th: Morning 6:33am - 7:15am

Deadlift
    20kg x5
    60kg x4
    100kg x2
    112.5kg - 5x5
    ---
    Shoulder Press (seated, dumbbell)
    22kg per arm - 5x5
    ---

I was trying to decide whether of not to go for 110kg again, or up 115kg on the 5x5 deadlift. The gym decided for me by magicing the 1.25kg plates out of their hiding place. 112.5kg was a nice compromise.

Thursday January 22nd: 6:40am - 7:10am

Squat
    20kg - 2x5
    60kg x3
    92.5kg - 5x5 ... pb on 5x5

Bent Over Row (mini barbell)
    35kg - 5x5
    ---
    Lunges (oly bar)
    40kg x8
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    40kg x8
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrlow, parallel grip)
    bw x8
    ---
    Face Pulls
    15kg x8
    ---

Squats were ok - not life threatening yet. There is more in the bucket. I need to eat more the evenings before though.

Face pulls at 15kg were fine too. I had the feeling that my usual weight of 10kg was getting too light. I will try increasing the weight on these over the coming months.

Saturday January 24th:

Squat
    65kg - 3x10 ... easy stuff today. Did a set before each of the other supersets below. Good warm up
    ---
    Military Press (oly bar)
    45kg - 5x5 ... super strict

Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    45kg - 5x10
    ---
    Bicep Curl (oly bar)
    35kg - 5x5 ... super slow & strict. Zero swinging

Calf Raise (oly bar)
    BW + 35kg - 2x15, 2x20, 1x25
    ---
    Deadlift
    65kg - 3x10 ... going easy today. First lower back pump this year! They heavy 5x5s over 100kg don't give this
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell)
    32kg per arm - 2x5 ... maybe I would have made the 5x5 if I'd done these earlier. This was heavy
    16kg per arm - 3x5 ... arms in bits after the 32kg dbs, couldn't make 10 reps on the 3 sets. Felt funny.

One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    16kg - 3x10
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (high pulley)
    kneeling - 48.75kg - 3x10
    standing - 21.25kg - 3x15 ... feels odd with the bar stuck into backside. Don't like these as much as the kneeling version
    ---
    External Rotation (pulley)
    1.25kg - 3x15
    ---
    Face Pulls
    21.25kg - 3x8 ... too heavy
    ---
    Seated Row (machine)
    50kg x8
    40kg x8
    30kg x8
    ---

Good full body workout. Nice to do squat and deadlift for higher reps at lower weights. Heavy 5x5s are cool.... but the heart thumping high rep pump on days like today is good for a change. I can concentrate on form when not struggling under a maximum load.

I also included squat and deadlift to ensure that my lower body is hit more than once a week. Saturday is usually just upperbody...

Whenever I do heavy push and pull stuff during the same session I get really sore arms.

e.g. bench press & pull ups, military press & rows, pressing & curling

It is not muscular, or a strain... more like a dull ache deep inside somewhere between shoulder and elbow. Are my veins trying to bust out or something? I'm not sure what is going on.. but it gets pretty painful and makes me take it easier.

Time to update the measurement chart:

All measurements in cm and taken when muscle was relaxed.

|end March 2008|end April 2008|end May 2008|end August 2008| mid Jan 2009
    chest cm|92.5|93.5|97.5|95|98
    bicep (right) cm|34.5|35|35.5|34.5|38
    bicep (left) cm|34|35|35|33.5|37.5
    wrist (right) cm|18.25|18.5|18.5|19|18.5
    wrist (left) cm|18|18|18|18|18.5
    waist cm|82|82|82|84|84
    hips cm|88|84|85|83|87
    top of legs cm|94|93|93|94|98
    knee (right) cm|42|43.5|45.5|46.5|47
    knee (left) cm|42|43.5|45.25|46.5|46
    calf (right) cm|40|40|40.5|39.5|41
    calf (left) cm|39.75|39.75|40|39|40
    bodyweight kg|73|73.5|74|74.5|76
    bodyfat %|10%|9%|9%?|??|??

Note: I don't trust the above measurements too much due to human error with the measuring tape.

So what does that tell me?
    • Arms, chest and calves have grown.
    • Waist is the same but my weight is up by 1.5kg, so I've added muscle not fat.
    • Hips and glute area seems to be expanding which I'll put down to all the heavy squat and deadlifting

Sunday January 25th: At home:

Stretching
    • side bends
    • fowards bends
    • hamstring stretches
    • lunges
    • feet apart seated fowards bends
    • inner thigh stretches
    • quadriceps stretches
    • hurdler stretches
    • spinal twists

Bicep Curl (dumbbell)
    4kg - 2x10
    10kg - 3x10 ... easy (just in case you think that was tough)
    ---

Today was my first step in getting more flexible. The curls were thrown in to make some use of my home equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭corribdude

Hey man, if you wanna get more flexible throw in 5 mins of static stretches at the end of your routine for the particular muscles worked during your workout. Ive been doing this since xmas after seeing someone doing it in another log here...think it was rob burkes. It makes a huge difference, I dont have that constant tightness feeling the weights leave you with anymore, feeling alot better in general. I shoulda started doing it earlier, had been meaning too for ages, its so simple but makes a big difference.

Are you doing a particular programme at the moment or are you doing whatever you choose on the day?

• Advertisement

man id give anything to be 10% body fat :)

corribdude wrote: »
    throw in 5 mins of static stretches at the end of your routine for the particular muscles worked during your workout.

Thanks - I'll have a read up on static stretching and think about including some.
    corribdude wrote: »
    Are you doing a particular programme at the moment or are you doing whatever you choose on the day?

Lol, does my training look that haphazard? I'm following 5x5:

Deadlift - 6:30am Tuesday morning
    Squat - 6:30am Thursday morning
    Bench - 11am Saturday morning

The Tuesday and Thursday mornings are usually pretty short (~35 mins), so I try to include a bit more on Saturdays (~90 mins), which does make that session look a bit messy I suppose. That is all my schedule allows at the moment.

The squat and deadlift sessions are 90% sitting around recovering so I just manage 1 or 2 other exercises those days.
    man id give anything to be 10% body fat :)

I am a bit overdue on my yearly check-up. I must schedule it soon to find out how I've come along in the past year e.g. cholesterol, blood pressure, bodyfat, etc.

Monday January 26th:

Bike 3.3km (10:00 mins, ~65 cals) ... warm up & waiting for space
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg x5
    100kg x3
    115kg - 5x5 ... equals 5x5 pb
    ---
    External Rotation (standing, pulley)
    1.25kg - 3x15
    ---

I totally contradicted what I was saying a few posts ago, bringing my deadlift from Tuesday morning to Monday night, due to early meeting tomorrow. Man it was packed tonight. First weekday evening workout of the year - they were hanging from the rafters in there.

That 5x5 was heavy. Really need to eat more on days like this.

edit - my deadlift warm up really sucks. Too much and I'm knackered, too little and I feel like I'm going to snap in half. e.g. tonight.

Thursday January 29th: 6:35am - 7:10am

Squat
    20kg x5
    50kg x5
    95kg - 5x5 ... new 5x5 pb

Bent Over Row (standing, dumbbell, 2 arm)
    14kg per arm - 5x10
    ---
    bw x8
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg x10
    ---

The squats rocked but took ages. Time is becoming a factor with this 5x5 stuff as it gets heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

The squats rocked but took ages. Time is becoming a factor with this 5x5 stuff as it gets heavy.

Hey, i'm nowhere near 95kg yet, but have noticed this too, after the first two sets i'm taking about 90 secs to 2 minutes between sets. I'm now considering supersetting squats with seated shoulder press or chins or inverted rows, anything thats not going to fatigue my legs. Any experience of this? Can't help but feel that you need all the rest you can get between sets when squatting though.

Hey. Previously I supersetted the 5x5 squat with all sorts of stuff (db shoulder press, db bench press, calf raises... ). I think I've gotten to the stage where I need all my energy saved up for the squats though. Even the light rows this morning were tough on my back in between the squats.

This morning I was probably taking about 45 seconds per set, but then waiting about 5 mins before attempting the next one. Adding that up it is ~20 mins standing around not doing much. When I've only got ~35 mins free in the mornings I'm feeling like I'm wasting time.

Seated db shoulder press and deadlift seem to go well together though.

I did try pull ups and squats as a superset previously... but too taxing if going for heavy squats.

So, in a nutshell.. I'm not sure either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You just have to accept that its not wasting time dude, you're squatting well over bodyweight for multiple sets, that means you need a lot of rest between sets. Perhaps you could try timing each rest, so that you don't go over, and gradually try to reduce the time, but really the most important thing is making the lifts, not how long it takes to do them. If the time you have in the gym is down to schedule then you'll just have to try and make the most of it tbh. If you are hitting pb's on your squat and deadlift then you can't be doing too much wrong. :)

Saturday January 31st:

Bench Press (dumbbell)
    9kg per arm x8 ... warm up
    32kg per arm x5 x5 x2 ... flat
    28kg per arm x4 x5 x6 ... slight incline

Fly (dumbbell)
    9kg per arm x8 ... warm up
    ---
    Pull Over (mini barbell)
    20kg - 3x8 ... pain around elbows

Calf Raises
    bw - 5x20
    bw + 20kg - 3x20
    ---
    Lat Pull Down
    25kg - 5x10 ... light & slow between each pull up set

bw + 10kg - 2x5
    bw + 5kg - 2x5
    bw - 2x5 ... sloppy toward the end as tired
    ---
    Power Clean & Press
    50kg - 1x5 ... no space for more so gave up

Squat
    60kg - 1x12 ... no space for more so gave up
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (pulley, kneeling)
    31.25kg - 2x20
    41.25kg - 2x15
    48.25kg - 2x10 ... ouch
    ---
    External Rotation
    1.25kg - 3x15 ... pulley
    4kg - 3x10 ... dumbbells
    ---
    Military Press (oly bar)
    40kg - 3x5

Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    40kg - 3x10
    ---

Another sawed off shotgun Saturday - hitting everything.

I'm going to have a little think about my strategy to identify exactly what I'm going to do on Saturdays. I may try to include a Sunday workout too to bring it up to 4 days from now on.

Sunday February 1st: Morning

Good Mornings
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 3x10
    ---
    Power Clean & Press
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5 ... video to follow
    52.5kg - 1x5 ... pb
    55kg -1x5 ... fresher pb
    ---
    Lunges (oly bar)
    40kg - 1x8
    50kg - 3x8 ... pb
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    60kg - 1x8
    75kg - 3x8
    ---
    Bicep Curl (oly bar)
    20kg - 1x10
    35kg - 1x5
    37.5kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5 ... pb
    ---
    Credit Crunch
    1x50 ... standard
    1x20 ... alternating twists left to right
    1x20 ... standard
    ---
    Face Pulls
    15kg - 3x8
    ---
    Dips
    bw - 3x3
    ---

Today was great. I had a list of stuff I wanted to do following yesterdays crappy session.

Pbs on lunges, curls and power clean and press. Forgot to do dips up front so just managed a few at the end when pretty tired.

• Advertisement

Power Clean & Press
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5 ... video to follow
    52.5kg - 1x5 ... pb
    55kg -1x5 ... fresher pb

Here is the 50kg x5 set. I didn't get the 52.5 x5 or 55 x5 as my camera woman dissappeared to do her lunges.

I know my technique needs to improve - I'm putting the video here as something to start off from. Constructive feedback welcome.

I have been working on stretching my wrists recently. The right one is way tighter than the left. Obviously in this vid I'm not racking it properly before the press.

Advertisement