Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday October 19th:

Walk 5.6km ... usual loop

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday October 20th: Wake up stuff at home

Shoulder Press
    8kg per arm - 2 sets of 10 reps

Curl
    8kg per arm - 2 sets of 10 reps

Side Bend
    8kg on one side, alternating - 2 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Tricep Extension
    8kg per arm - 1 set of 10 reps

Bent Over Row
    8kg per arm - 1 set of 10 reps
    ---

Monday October 20th: session 2

Pull Ups (narrow grip, palms away)
    x3 x4 x5 x6

Dips
    x3 x4 x5 x6
    ---
    External Rotation (dumbbell, standing)
    5kg - 2 sets of 10 reps

Lateral Raise
    5kg - 2 sets of 10 reps

Bicep Curl (mini studio barbell)
    32.5kg - 2 sets of 10 reps ... assuming the studio bar is 7.5kg which I think it was when I weighed it a month or two ago

Calf Raise (on step)
    bodyweight + 32.5kg - 2 sets of 15 reps

Ab Crunch (lying, twisting, alternating left/right)
    2 sets of 20 reps
    ---
    Skipping
    31 hops :cool: ... testing out my new speed rope. Rushed to deadlifts when got first tangle
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg x10
    85kg - 5 sets of 5 reps

Shoulder Press
    10kg per arm - 5 sets of 10 reps
    ---

Rubbish enough session. Not enough time. Gym too packed. Wasn't able to deadlift straight away (as usual - gym crowding dosen't get tolerable until last 15 mins) so messed about trying to do .. well.. anything.

When I finally got to the deadlifts there was only 10 mins left and I didn't have time to put in decent weight or sets.

My deadlift seems to have gone backwards. I suppose I haven't done a proper 5x5 for almost a month now. I was up to 5x5 @102.5kg, but tonight 85kg felt heavy. Will fix that in the next while by lifting heavy stuff.

Thursday October 23rd:

Run 3km (16:30 mins, ~250 cals)
    ---
    Squat
    30kg x5
    50kg x5
    70kg x5
    90kg x3
    100kg x3 ... personal best for reps at previous 1 rep max
    100kg x uneven weights ... supposed to be 105kg --> 5kg missing on left side so had to set up again
    105kg x fail ... down and 1/4 of the way up before fail. Left it down on the pins with a clank
    105kg x 0.999999999 ... not claiming this one as a new 1 rep max as it wasn't down to parallel according to watcher. My head almost exploded doing it
    100kg x1 ... equalling previous 1 rep max again
    90kg x3
    70kg - 3 sets of 5 reps

Deadlift (stiff leg) ... supersetted in with last 3 squat sets to finish before closing time
    55kg - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---

The squats rocked :pac: Pb for reps at previous 1 rep max. Almost got the 105kg at 3rd attempt.

Run was terrible. Felt so unfit. First half of each km was slow at around 10kmph ish, then upped it for the second half of each km to make it 5 mins per km i.e average speed 12kmph. Got up to 18kmph+ a few times, and down to 8kmph at other times, so a bit of interval stuff in there too. Knackered in last km, slow.

Going to include cardio again cos it makes me happy :P It also seems to warm me up properly for heavy stuff. The vast majority of my squat or deadlift pb's seem to come after a few km on the treadmill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

BossArky wrote: »
    100kg x3 ... personal best for reps at previous 1 rep max

That's some good work there.

However if you can do 100x3, 105x1 should be easy. I would hazard a guess and say you're 1rm could be 110-115.

Next time you're going for your 1rm just do 100x1.

Keep up the hard training :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

105kg x 0.999999999 ... not claiming this one as a new 1 rep max as it wasn't down to parallel according to watcher. My head almost exploded doing it

So close yet so far :pac: nice work on the PB's!

Saturday October 25th:

Bench Press (flat)
    20kg x8
    40kg x8
    70kg x3
    80kg x2
    90kg x fail :mad: ... fail at new pb attempt
    80kg x1
    85kg x1 ... equals pb I think, or was previous pb 87.5 kg? :confused:- must check
    90kg x fail :mad:
    70kg x5 x4 x3

Bench Press (incline)
    60kg - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 4 sets of 8 reps

Pull Over (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 4 sets of 8 reps ... Not sure exactly what was hard about this - it feels tough somewhere in the bones/joints rather than the muscle
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell, slight incline)
    20kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps

Bicep Curl
    14kg per arm - 3 set of 5 reps ... 1st set = one arm for 5 reps & then alternate, 2nd = sitting back on incline & both arms together, 3rd = standing & alternating arms per rep
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise
    3 sets of 10 reps ... bottom = upper leg parallel to ground, top = knees to chin

Ab Crunch (kneeling, pulley cable)
    28.75kg - 1 set of 10 reps
    38.75kg - 2 set of 10 reps ... abs burning
    ---
    Power Clean & Press
    30kg - 1 set of 10 reps
    40kg - 1 set of 5 reps
    45kg - 3 set of 1 rep ... i.e. singles
    35kg - 1 set of 10 reps (or 5 reps?)

Tricep Dips (on squat rack sides)
    3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Calf Raise (oly bar)
    35kg x20
    55kg x20
    95kg - 3 sets of 10 reps ... calves burning
    55kg x20
    bodyweight - 5 sets of 20 reps ... these were in between the various sets above, not alone at the end - helped keep up the burn
    ---

I should have eaten more last night. Maybe that would have allowed me the 90kg bench pb. The 1.25kg plates were in hiding so I couldn't try for 87.5kg.

On the 90kg attempts I got the bar up a tiny bit (maybe 1/6th of the way) before failing.

Sunday October 26th:

Bike20mins (~130 cals, 6.5km+ a bit?) ... studying, easy pace, heart rate 120-130
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg 5x5
    60kg x10

Lateral Raise
    6kg per arm 5x5
    ---
    EZ Curl
    37.5kg x4 ... assuming ez curl bar = 7.5kg
    ---
    Face Pull
    10kg x8
    12.5kg x8
    15kg x8
    ---

I'm pleased to get back up to 100kg on the 5x5 deadlift (85kg was a struggle last week). 100kg wasn't too bad so the weight will go up next time. I should probably test my max deadlift in the next few weeks.

My chest and triceps are in absolute bits following yesterday.

Thursday October 30th:

Run 1km (4:50 mins, ~90 cals) ... started at 12kmph, increased speed by 0.1kmph every 100m
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    bodyweight x5
    bodyweight + 10kg x5
    bodyweight + 10kg x3
    bodyweight x5

Hanging Leg Raise (feet to hands)
    4 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x5
    45kg x5
    65kg x5
    85kg x3
    105kg x1 ...personal best, video to follow
    85kg - 3x3

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    40kg - 3x8 ... superset with last 3 squat sets
    ---

There was more in the tank on the 105kg squat. Taking Al Frenz's advice I didn't waste energy messing about with 3 or so reps just before and below my pb attempt. It worked. Cheers Al.

I'm going to bench 90kg for a pb on Saturday morning. Will start eating now and won't stop for the next 36 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Awesome stuff man. Well done!

• Advertisement

---
    Squat
    105kg x1 ...personal best, video to follow

Satuday November 1st:

Press Ups
    x10

Bench Press
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    60kg x3
    70kg x3
    90kg x fail :mad: ... spotter touched too early. Power gone. Game over.
    90kg x fail :mad: :mad:
    90kg x fail :mad: :mad: :mad:
    80kg x1
    85kg x fail
    75kg x3
    75kg x2 ... was going for 3 reps
    75kg x1 ... was going for 3 reps
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 4x8

Pull Over (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 4x8

Calf Raise
    bodyweight - 4x20
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    60kg - 4x5
    ---
    Bench Press (45 deg incline, dumbbell)
    24kg per arm - 4x5
    ---
    Power Clean & Press (oly bar)
    35kg x5
    45kg x5
    50kg x5 ... personal best
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg - 3x8
    ---

The 90kg pb attempts on the bench didn't work out as planned.

On the first attempt I stalled on the way up but think I was just getting it moving upwards again as spotter took it. Annoyed about that. Apparently I looked as if I was going to squash myself. Maybe I would have failed anyway... but the chance was gone after the first attempt. Energy out the window.

I probably need to increase the weight of my Flys by a good bit.

The one positive from that work out was Power Clean & Pressing 50kg x5. I don't do that exercise too much, so its a bit cheeky calling it a pb cos it will probably go up each time for the next while. Don't worry, my technique is still horrendous. I'm counting it as a rep if I get it from the ground to locked out overhead, regardless of the form uglyness / grunting / shaking involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That squat looked really solid. And you're certainly looking a lot thicker. Good work dude!

You might see some good improvements in your squat if you add in some extra core work and train it hard. It looks like the only part of the squat that was hard was right as you come out of the hole and get above parallel, it lookedl ike you got kicked forward ever so slightly. It's funny tho, cos below that point, and above it, you looked good for WAY more. I used to have it really hard there too, but once I started to really push the pulldowns abs and hanging leg raises my squat shot up.

And I mean push them hard. Train them like you'd train your squat, bench or deadlift. Set a target and fight hard for weight and rep increases! It'll really help all your other lifts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

You're definitely not far away from a much bigger squat. Like Hanley said you're so fast off the bottom and in the final lockout, even your walkout is impressive. I started doing heavy Ab Pulldowns as recommended instead of tonnes of other crunch style ab work and it's really helping with that sticky middle section. You've got the leg power there to squat 120 easy.

Unlucky on the bench. It's so annoying when you get a spotter who is scared stiff you're going to drop the weight and takes over as soon as you stall. An experienced spotter makes a lot of difference.

Thanks for the advice guys! Can you clarify - when you say Ab Pull Downs do you mean kneeling or standing? ...or either?

Just a few weeks ago I started Kneeling Ab Pull Downs from high pulley and thought they felt great. Will definetly do more of these now based upon what you are saying.
    kevpants wrote: »
    Unlucky on the bench. It's so annoying when you get a spotter who is scared stiff you're going to drop the weight and takes over as soon as you stall. An experienced spotter makes a lot of difference.

I'd better cut wifey some slack. She probably didn't want to be widowed after just 4.5 months :P

Sunday November 2nd:

Run 1km (4:23mins, ~85 cals) ... intervals 12kmph to 18kmph
    ---
    Deadlift
    65kg x5
    110kg - 5x5 ... personal best
    60kg - 3x8 ... snatch grip

Shrugs
    20kg plate per arm - 3x8 ... hold at top of each rep for a second or two
    ---
    Ab Pulldown (standing, cable)
    21.25kg x8
    23.75kg x8
    26.25kg x8

Tricep Pushdown
    21.25kg x8
    23.75kg x8
    26.25kg x8
    ---
    EZ Curl
    27.5kg x8 x8 x4 ... assuming bar is 7.5kg. Rolled straight into 3rd set as getting booted out at closing time. Couldn't manage 8 reps straight off again.
    ---

Wasn't sure if I'd go for 100kg, 105kg or 110kg on the deadlift. Decided for that latter and it worked out.

Ab Pulldown was too light. Tricep Pushdown was too heavy.

I can now truely say I'm over Texas. All big lifts are going well and 5x5 seems to be working a treat. On a nice little roll at the moment. Unfortunately I'll have to take it a bit easier for the next 2.5 weeks as have two exams mid Nov and don't want to be in bits for studying.

LOL I didn't realise your spotter was your wife! Best to keep on her good side in general but it's even more important when she's spotting your max bench!

Standing ab pulldowns are considered to be slightly superior simply because your feet are planted on the ground. They're easier if you can get a pulldown station with a horizontal bar at ass height that you can push back against.

You could probably double the weight on the ab pulldowns if you're doing them standing. 50kg at 75kg bodyweight would have you feeling stronger in no time.

EDIT: Very nice deadlifting. 5 reps at 5% over your squat max is strong stuff.

Standing ab pulldowns are considered to be slightly superior simply because your feet are planted on the ground. They're easier if you can get a pulldown station with a horizontal bar at ass height that you can push back against.

Cool. Yeah, I did the standing ab pulldowns on Sunday with glutes against an upright.

In other news - I'm turning into a mini incredible Hulk, albeit at a very slow rate. In the past month I have burst the crotch of two suit trousers as my legs seem to be getting bigger. At this rate I'll end up going to work in my gym kit by xmas. I'm hoping the rest of my suits can hold out until the post xmas sales.

In the mornings I'm now always at least 77kg. This is my heaviest ever - unchartered territory. That extra weight I'll put down to:
    • water retention (creatine)
    • muscle
    • a bit of fat

After my exams I'll be burning more cals and probably get weight down a bit more. All good for the moment though - it's kinda like driving a tank instead of a mini.

Thursday November 6th:

Bench Press (incline)
    60kg - 4x8
    60kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5 ... non wifey spotter keeps touching bar! :mad:

Bent Over Row
    60kg - 5x8 ... dirty sets. No clips so plates flying all over the place. Too heavy so not full ROM
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (kneeling, pulley)
    27.5kg - 3x20 ... max stack. Way too light but heavier stacks were taken. Only got a bit of burn after 10 reps on 3rd set.

Face Pulls
    12.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Low Row (machine)
    50kg x8
    60kg x8
    50kg x8

Pull Up Simulation (machine)
    50kg x8
    60kg x8
    50kg x8
    ---
    Squat
    60kg x8
    70kg x6
    80kg x4 ... the gym lights were switched off on the 4th rep so just got done on time.
    ---

Tonight being Thursday should have been my usual squat session for the week. Unfortunatley there was a shoal of muppets hanging around the squat rack using it for shrugs for about 30 mins. I messed about with random stuff and had a pretty crappy session until getting into the rack for about 3 mins at the end.

Managed to have no lunch today. There was a work do at which I was expecting lunch - however there was none and it was started before I could get fodder in. At the end of it I was talking with some other fellow when suddenly along comes a guy all flustered telling me "you are that guy who is ALWAYS in my gym - Monday night you're there, Thursday night you're there, etc, etc".

I didn't want to correct him and tell him that I'm actually there on Sundays, not Mondays... but anyway..

I didn't recognise him at all but apparently we have been working out side by side for a good while. I thought he was going to get down on his knees and kiss my feet. We actually met again in the gym tonight. It's funny cos I have been going to that gym for the past 17 months and only in the last 2 weeks I have actually got to know some people there: the guy above, and another fellow who happens to live in my building.

Sunday November 9th:

Deadlift
    65kg - 2x5
    105kg - 2x5
    125kg - 2x1 ... i.e. two singles ... pb for reps at previous 1 rep max set back on 27/5/08 (pg 18)
    105kg - 3x5
    65kg - 5x5

Shoulder Press (standing, dumbbell)
    22kg per arm - 5x5
    ---
    Bicep Curl (oly bar)
    35kg x8 x8 x4 ... couldn't finish to 8 on 3rd set

Shrugs
    20kg plate per arm - 3x8
    ---

Great session. I've been holed up studying Financial Accounting & Tax Principles since Friday night so it was good to get the heart pumping.

I threw the heavy singles into the middle of the 5x5 to see what they felt like. They were harder but not too bad. I need to check what my 1 rep max was previously (130kg?). I should be able to surpass that now.

I spoke with reception to request they get new clips for the oly bars and some extra 1.25kg plates. The receptionist looked at me as if I had pulled a turnip out of my pocket when I showed him the damaged clips. He didn't have a clue what I was on about and asked me to come back on a weekday to remind him what I wanted..... :confused:

• Advertisement

Sunday November 9th:

Deadlift
    125kg - 2x1 ... i.e. two singles

I need to check what my 1 rep max was previously (130kg?). I should be able to surpass that now.

Checking back through my log shows that my Deadlift pb was set back on 27/5/08 (pg 18) - it was 125kg... so last night I actually matched it for weight and broke it for reps.

I'm a tad suprised as I thought my pb was 130kg+. Maybe the figures are a bit muddled 'cos back in April (pg 16) I attempted 138.5kg and saw stars. In summary - I should be setting a new pb sometime soon 'cos 125kg last night wasn't bad. My 5x5 is only 15kg below that.

Those minutes trawling through my log highlighted how mixed up my training has been this year.
    • sprint distance triathlon in May
    • olympic distance triathlon in August
    • La Marmotte long distance cycle prep for July (I skipped the race)
    • Gladiator contendor audition prep

...in amongst trying to get my squat/deadlift/bench up at the same time. A number of enforced work trips away didn't help with missing weeks / months at a time. I need to concentrate more on specific goals.
    BossArky wrote:
    I spoke with reception to request they get new clips for the oly bars and some extra 1.25kg plates.

I rang back today. They are going to order some new clips and 1.25kg plates. Great success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

I'm a tad suprised as I thought my pb was 130kg+. Maybe the figures are a bit muddled 'cos back in April (pg 16) I attempted 138.5kg and saw stars. In summary - I should be setting a new pb sometime soon 'cos 125kg last night wasn't bad. My 5x5 is only 15kg below that.

if you doing 110 5x5 id estimate your 1rm should be around the 140 mark, just load it on and give it a bash, 10 kilos on the deadlift feels like nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

I rang back today. They are going to order some new clips and 1.25kg plates. Great success.

haha,

you sound like borat:pac: GREAT SUCCESS

i wish my gym were that responsive

i read through loads of your log, good going

Boss from looking at your videos and seeing your numbers I think you're underestimating your strength. I'll bet you'll be able for more than you think if you truly test your max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Just saw your squat vid now boss, very nice work. Just wondering, do you not find squatting in runners push the weight forward onto the ball of your foot? Maybe I'm overemphasising it but I think squatting in a flat shoe makes a big difference.

Just saw your squat vid now boss, very nice work. Just wondering, do you not find squatting in runners push the weight forward onto the ball of your foot? Maybe I'm overemphasising it but I think squatting in a flat shoe makes a big difference.

Hey Brian, cheers. To be honest I don't know. I have never squat in anything else other than runners. Maybe I'll give it a bash sometime soon in bare feet. I would be a bit worred about dropping a plate on my foot or slipping though.
    I'll bet you'll be able for more than you think if you truly test your max.

My targets this year were squat 100kg, bench 100kg, and deadlift 150kg. I've surpassed the squat by 5kg so far. Still got 12.5kg and 25kg to go on the other too respectively. I'm afraid to "waste" sessions now in the last 2 months of the year on 1 rep max attempts (when they could have been 5x5 working sessions)...., so will probably up my 5x5 as hard as possible in the next 5 to 6 weeks and then leave the last 2 weeks for testing 1 rep max stuff at year end.
    you sound like borat:pac: GREAT SUCCESS

i read through loads of your log, good going

Dekuji! Jak se mash? :pac:
    dave80 wrote: »
    if you doing 110 5x5 id estimate your 1rm should be around the 140 mark, just load it on and give it a bash, 10 kilos on the deadlift feels like nothing

Cheers Dave. As I said to Kev above I'm hoping to walk into the gym around mid December, roar "BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULLS" and truely test my limits. Hopefully I'll hit those targets I set back in January.

Wednesday November 12th: Wake up stuff

Shoulder Press (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 2x10

Bent Over Row (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 2x10
    ---

Sunday's deadlift DOMS is just becoming bareable.

Sunday November 16th: At home

Shoulder Press (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 2x10

Bent Over Row (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 2x10

Tuesday November 18th:

Bike 20:00 mins (~6km) ... slow, reading, heart-rate 60-70% max
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    5x5

Press Ups
    5x8
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 3x8

Lateral Raise
    6kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Low intensity session. I had an exam today and needed to get some exercise / air.

Headache before gym, felt like puking after. Back to the books until Thursday.

• Advertisement

Saturday November 22nd:

Deadlift
    60kg 3x8 ... warm up for bench

External Rotation (dumbbell)
    4kg - 3x8
    ---
    Bench Press
    60kg x10
    70kg - 2x5
    75kg x4 ... couldn't make 5
    70kg x4 ... couldn't make 5
    60kg x8 ... couldn't make 10
    ---
    Bicep Curl (oly bar)
    30kg 3x8
    ---
    Calf Raise (smith machine, toes on step)
    60kg x12 ... assuming contraption plus bar = 20kg
    80kg x12
    100kg x12
    50kg x20 ... nice burn
    ---
    One Arm Row (low pulley cable, aka lawnmowers)
    10kg x8
    7.5kg 2x8 ... feels good
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (kneeling, high pulley cable)
    27.5kg - 4x20 ... max stack, too light. Heavier stack was taken

Face Pulls
    10kg - 4x8
    ---
    Twisting Hanging Leg Raises (knee to opposite elbow)
    2x10 ... plus 1 pull up at the end of first set
    1x4 ... ouch
    ---
    Twisting Medicine Ball Crunch
    3kg ball - 4x25
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell)
    30kg per arm x5 x4 x3

Fly (dumbbell)
    5kg - 3x8 ... super light, bit of a stretch
    ---
    Seated Cable Row
    47.5 kg - 3x8... max stack. Should use this one for ab pull downs next time
    ---

The headache I mentioned on Tuesday night turned into a jackhammer in the jaw by Wednesday night. I ended up having to get a wisdom tooth out on Thursday straight after my exam. A 3 hour tax exam is no fun at the best of times, ... it turned into torture with that tooth ache. Almost got up and left half way through. Managed to struggle on though.

Haven't been able to eat much since then, lost some weight, back to about 75kg yesterday and weak. Bench Press (oly bar) was a disaster today. Couldn't even manage what would normally have been ok.

Tried out a few new exercises which felt good: twisting hanging leg raises, one arm cable rows, smith calf raises... and going to do more dumbbell benching in future as my left side is a good bit weaker than the right.

Advertisement