Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

All measurements in cm and taken when muscle was relaxed. First set taken on March 27th, second set April 29th, third on May 25th, and fourth on August 31st.

|end March|end April |end May |end August
    chest cm|92.5|93.5|97.5|95
    bicep (right) cm|34.5|35|35.5|34.5
    bicep (left) cm|34|35|35|33.5
    wrist (right) cm|18.25|18.5|18.5|19
    wrist (left) cm|18|18|18|18
    waist cm|82|82|82|84
    hips cm|88|84|85|83
    top of legs cm|94|93|93|94
    knee (right) cm|42|43.5|45.5|46.5
    knee (left) cm|42|43.5|45.25|46.5
    calf (right) cm|40|40|40.5|39.5
    calf (left) cm|39.75|39.75|40|39
    bodyweight kg|73|73.5|74|74.5
    bodyfat %|10%|9%|9%?|??

Note: I don't trust the above measurements too much due to human error with the measuring tape.

My waist is 2cm bigger than 3 months ago which I was expecting. I reckon I'm carrying a kg or two extra of bodyfat which I'm going to loose in the coming month or two.

I wanted to document my measurements right now before embarking on my quest for the 100kg bench press before the end of the year, alongside adding kgs of my squat and deadlift.

I doubt I could do all the above and get down to a lean 70kg but it is what I'm going to aim for and see what happens.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday August 31st

Bike 11.7km ... outdoors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Hey BossArky,

Good to hear you're still training hard.

Do you have any plan or routine in mind to reach the 100 bench?

Hey Al, cheers.

I'll probably start learning to clean and jerk and maybe throw in some 20 rep squats and hopefully that will help my bench to increase.

I was getting some good bench gains 2 or 3 months ago (up to 85kg for 1 rep max) without any real structure. I was thinking that perhaps a 5x5 or 3x8 starting out around 60 or 70kg may work for a while, then increment by 2.5kg per session or week. Will also try to vary things --> incline, flat, oly bar, dumbbells, flys, dips.

If you have any suggestions let me know.

Sunday August 31st (session 2):

Clean & Jerk ... warming up in the safety of the gym studio with a mini barbell so that I wouldn't make a fool of myself practising my technique. Think the bar was 7.5kg
    37.5kg - 3 sets of 10 reps

Situps
    3 sets of 25 reps
    ---
    Clean & Jerk ... out to the gym floor proper for the next 5 sets with an oly bar
    30kg x5
    40kg x5
    45kg x5
    40kg x5
    30kg x5
    ---
    Squat
    30kg x5
    60kg x10 ... I was actually planning on a 20 rep attempt at this 60kg but wasn't up for it
    70kg x5
    80kg x3
    90kg x2
    100kg x1 ... equals personal best

Bicep Curl (dumbbell)
    16kg per arm - 4 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Face Pulls
    11.25kg x5 x5 x10

Hanging Leg Raises (feet to hands) ... starting to love these
    x5 x5 x5
    ---

My clean & jerk is pretty bad. I need to figure out how to rack the bar on my upper chest. It was great for getting me warmed up for the squats though. Heart was pumping like mad and sweat dripping off me. I was afraid the bar was going to slither off my back when going for the 100kg pb equalling squat.

Classic session.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    Hey Al, cheers.

I'll probably start learning to clean and jerk and maybe throw in some 20 rep squats and hopefully that will help my bench to increase.

I was getting some good bench gains 2 or 3 months ago (up to 85kg for 1 rep max) without any real structure. I was thinking that perhaps a 5x5 or 3x8 starting out around 60 or 70kg may work for a while, then increment by 2.5kg per session or week. Will also try to vary things --> incline, flat, oly bar, dumbbells, flys, dips.

If you have any suggestions let me know.

Yeah - I'd highly recommend what I did for the for the 5x5 routine, which is what I think you seem to be thinking about.

3 days - 3 lifts - 5-6 higher rep assistance exercises:

Day 1 - Deadlift day. Back and bicep assistance
    Day 2 - Bench day. Chest and tri assistance
    Day 3 - Squat day. Leg and shoulder assistance

Do your main lift first. That way the most of your energy is focused on that lift.

Have a target and work to it over 4 weeks adding 2.5kgs a week. E.g - if you want 85kg 5x5 start of week one in 77.5kg. Don't worry about it being to easy. You don't want to peak in week one.

Hopefully this helps - I know it worked for me!:)

Tuesday September 2nd:

Run 2km (9:50, ~175 cals)
    ---
    Shoulder Dislocates
    5 sets of 10 reps

Pull Ups (parallel, close grip)
    bodyweight + 7kg dumbbell, x7 x7 x4 x4
    ---
    Bench Press
    65kg - 5 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Face Pulls
    11.25kg - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---

I was hoping for x7 x7 x4 x4 x1 x1 on the pull ups, but cut short to grab the bench before closing time. A bit rushed session today.

Bench went ok. Slightly tired on last rep. The quest for 100kg has kicked off! Will increase by 2.5 kg next session.

I feel a bit weaker which I will put down to tiredness from the pressing on the clean & jerk Sunday night.

My right bicep was the size of my head by the time I got home. It is as if my right side takes way more of the load on the pull ups. Gonna be sore tomorrow.

Thursday September 4th:

Jog ... to gym, about 3 mins
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg x8
    80kg x8
    100kg - 5 sets of 5 reps
    60kg - 3 sets of 12 reps
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    50kg - 3 sets of 10 reps

Shrugs
    15kg plate per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Face Pulls
    12.25kg x8
    ---
    Pull Ups
    x5
    ---

I was trying to jog without touching my heels off the ground after reading a bit about pose running recently. Not sure if that is what I'm supposed to do but it was something different anyway.

The 5x5 deadlift @100kg was hard. Wondered if I'd make it. Was going to revert to x5 x4 x3 x2 x1 after the first set but persevered and managed the 5x5. About 6 weeks ago I managed this at 105kg so hopefully will get back there soon.

By the end of the 3x10 @60kg my spinal erectors etc almost made me do a back flip out the window after leaving the weight on the ground as they had been so contracted for the sets beforehand!

Ran out of time at the end but it was a good session where I managed to stick to a plan for once and only do one area i.e. back / biceps

Was just over 73kg after work which may have been due to not eating enough, or actually burning some fat this week: hard work and better eating.

Saturday September 6th:

Bench Press
    20kg x10
    70kg - 4 sets of 5
    70kg - 1 set of 4 :mad: ... damn missed the last one which would have made it 5x5
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bench Press (incline, dumbbell)
    22kg per arm - 5 sets of 5 reps

Calf Raises
    bodyweight - 5 sets of 20 reps
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Dumbbell Pull Over
    10kg per arm - 3 sets of 5 reps ... hard enough. Don't normally do this. Will start including it on chest days
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raises
    feet to hands - 3 sets of 8 reps
    knees to face - 2 sets of 8 reps ... these hurt more than the feet to hands
    ---
    Medicine Ball Rotating Crunch
    4kg ball - 5 sets of 20 reps
    ---
    Run 1km (4:46, ~90 cals) ... started at 12kmph, up by 0.1kmph each 100 metres to 900m, then up to 18kmph for last 100m.
    ---

This morning I weighted in a tiny bit over 73kg.

The 1.25kg plates were nowhere to be seen which meant that I had to push my bench 5x5 up by 5kg instead of 2.5kg from the last session. I probably would have made it at 67.5kg. 70kg was a tiny bit too much. Next time.

Sunday September 7th (mini session 1):

Bicep Curls
    6kg per arm x10

Tricep Extension
    6kg per arm x10
    ---

At home this morning getting some blood flowing in my arms to aid DOMS recovery after yesterday.

• Advertisement

Sunday September 7th (session 2):

Run 2km (9:34, ~160 cals)
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x20
    30kg x20
    40kg x20
    70kg x5 x5
    ---

Good session. Hamstrings are still pretty sore from Thursday's deadlifts so I took it easy on the squats.

Instead of jumping in at 60 to 75% of my 1 rep max squat (100kg) for the 20 reps I thought I'd just start from scratch and see how I got on. 20kg, 30kg and 40kg were fine. Next time I'll got for 50kg and maybe 60kg x20.

Enjoyed the interval session on the treadmill.

My last three workouts have been approx 36 hours apart so I'll take hopefully 48 hours off before next one.

Here is the first set of 70kg x5 from tonight's squats:

Tuesday September 9th (mini session 1):

Bicep Curls
    8kg per arm - 3 sets of 12 reps
    ---

Again, something light stuff at home in the morning. It saves me having to waste time doing these at the gym.

The alarm went off at 5:40am but I couldn't peel myself up off the bed to get to the gym for clean & jerk.

Not a morning person at all! The idea of getting up so early, flattening myself in the gym, then commuting 2hrs across London is not appealing. I much perfer working out in the evening and then going straight to bed. Watch this space tonight.

My hamstrings are still a bit sore since last Thursday, ... calves too. Maybe I've been running too large a calorie deficit.

Tuesday September 9th (session 1):

Run 2km (8:34, ~170 cals) ... probably a pb
    ---
    Power Clean & Press ... practising in the gym studio with mini barbell of 7.5kg I think
    17.5kg - 1 set of 10 reps
    27.5kg - 3 sets of 10 reps

Ab Crunch (studio mat)
    x20 x25 x30

External Rotation (dumbbell)
    5kg per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Shoulder Dislocates
    x7 x7
    x5 x5
    x7 x7

Pull Ups
    bodyweight +7kg
    x7 x7
    x4 x4
    x1 x1
    ---
    Power Clean & Press ... out on the gym floor proper with oly bar
    30kg x8 x6 x4
    ---

Tonight before going to the gym I was checking youtube for form videos. I realised that I am actually power clean & pressing rather than clean & jerking :eek: :o :pac:

Treadmill run was good. I've never really taken the treadmill past 16kmph before. 18kmph isn't too bad. When you get back to 12kmph it feels like walking.

Pull Ups were fine. If I had more time I would have thrown in a few at just bodyweight.

Power Clean & Press stills feeling novice-ish but a bit better. Hopefully I can add more weight in the coming weeks.

Head spinning, sweat dripping, heart thumping = another good session!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Those squats looked really good. Good form and very strong.

I learned how to clean properly from learning how to powerclean... It's a decent enough way of doing it. Once you get powercleans down, try practising dead hang cleans. It's a good drill to learn how to get under the bar. You need to have rock solid front squat form to be able to do it tho, so consider working on that too.

Here's a couple of vids;
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=D1sPL6bHeWg
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=L8NtaxvmtBg
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7zbug6KxfeM

Thanks for the links & advice! I'll take a look tomorrow when I have some more time. Must investigate the hang clean.

Wednesday September 10th:

Golf 9 holes
    ---
    This evening after work I managed to fit in half a round with some colleagues between 5pm and sundown. I won by a shot! Starting off with a 12 didn't help but I clawed my way back.

My putting needs some work. It was a nice change of atmosphere. Apparently we walked 6.5km over the course of those 9 holes (one of the guys had a garmin 305 which tracks that kind of stuff via gps).

Thursday September 11th:

Run 1km (4:14, ~95 cals) ---
    Shoulder Press (dumbbell, seated)
    18kg per arm x10 x8 x6 x4 x2

Lateral Raise (dumbbell, seated)
    10kg per arm - 5 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Squat
    60kg x8
    80kg x4
    100kg x FAIL
    60kg - 3 sets of 8 reps

Bicep Curl
    14kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    8kg per arm - 2 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Face Pulls
    11.25kg - 3 sets of 8 reps

Hanging Leg Raises (knees to face)
    3 sets of 8 reps
    ---

Increased the max interval treadmill pace to 19kmph. That was ok, but I'd better be careful not to get my legs tangled up.

Gym was packed. No space for deadlifting which had been my plan. I was dreading trying another 5x5 at 102.5kg anyway. I can still feel it in my hamstrings from the last deadlifting session 7 days ago.

I left the 100kg squat at the bottom. Cannot remember if I tried hard to push it up or not.

The planets were not aligned.

Saturday September 13th:

Deadlift
    60kg - 2 sets of 10 reps
    100kg - 2 sets of 5 reps ... then bench was free so thankfully I didn't have to finish off the deads 5x5!
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg x10
    70kg - 5 sets of 5 reps ... personal best for bench 5x5
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    8kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Pull Over (dumbbell)
    8kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    40kg - 3 sets of 15 reps ... palms down
    ---
    Front Squat (oly bar)
    30kg x2 ... bar slipped on sweat so had to rack and start again
    30kg - 3 sets of 5 reps ... bar cutting into front of shoulders
    ---
    Lunges (oly bar)
    30kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 10 reps ... with slight inturn of the front foot
    ---
    Calf Raise (oly bar)
    90kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bicep Curl (oly bar)
    20kg - 3 sets of 12 reps
    ---

Very happy to have managed the bench 70kg 5x5. If I get to 72.5kg 5x5 next time then that will be more or less bodyweight 5x5. When I started this log <18 months ago my aim was to rep one bodyweight bench. So, If I can now do it 25 times in one session I'll call that progress.

I had Green Athene to video the first two bench sets. She missed out my lower body. I'll post them here later. Don't worry, she got a good spanking for her error. I was hoping to study my form a bit and see if I have any kind of arch going on.

I actually did the bodyweight lunges right at the end of the session, just before the curls but put all lunges together for consistency.

Leg Press was broken so just used front squat and lunges for a bit more quad stimulation. They are burning now.

1st set of 70kg bench 5x5:

I remember not planting my feet properly on the floor and being up on tippy toes. Don't know why I started like that. Looking at the video I think my elbow are out too far and the bar looks too high up towards my neck.

2st set of 70kg bench 5x5:

Here I tried a bit harder with the arch. It looks like it dissappears as soon as I started pressing and only comes back a tiny bit. Again elbows look like they are out too bar and bar too high up towards neck.

The last set of 5 was actually easier than both of these.

If anyone has any advice after watching these let me know.

• Advertisement

It doesn't really look like your shoulders are pinned back hard in the vids. Try this;
    -Arms straight out in front of you
    -Pull your shoulder blades together (ya should notice your hands move back towards ya by quite some distance)
    -Try to pull your shoulder blades down to your hips using your lats (which will probably put your hands some where below your nipple line)
    -Try to mimic that next time you set up for a bench press cos that's the position you want to be in. From there just try to lowe the bar straight down (you'll probably end up with the bar touching just below your nipps)

You look soft as hell on the way down too. Like you lock out the bar, and it looks like it free falls to about 2-3 inches off your chest where you slow it down and reverse it. Do the drill mentioned above to get in the right position, then instead of just letting the bar come down, try to "row" it down to your chest. Take it down under control, squeezing everything. While you're pulling it down to you start to think about exploding it up. If ya do it right you should get a really good kick off your chest.

Let me know if either of those needs more explaining.

Thanks for the feedback Hanley. I need to work on those things you mentioned.

I was kinda shocked when I was looking at the video myself. It looks all over the place & fairly shakey.

Sunday September 14th:

Walk 5.6km
    ---

Rather sore & tired this evening so skipped the planned gym session. Did a bit too much yesterday morning in an overall body session. Can really feel my quads, gluts and hams from the barbell lunges.

Going to see Metallica tomorrow night at the O2 arena so won't make it to the gym again until Tuesday evening.

Good news alert - got an audition for Gladiators on Sunday 28th.

Good news alert - got an audition for Gladiators on Sunday 28th.

:o

Awesome... I'm jealous!!!

Looking forward to it too!! :)

Thursday September 18th:

Squat
    20kg - 1 set of 10 reps
    30kg - 1 set of 10 reps
    77.5kg - 5 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Lunges (oly bar)
    30kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Pull Ups (close, parallel grip)
    bodyweight - 2 sets of 10 reps ... first set after squats, second after lunges
    ---

Second set of pull ups was maybe 11 not 10 as I was concentrating more on hanging steady at the bottom of each for a few seconds before starting to pull up again. Easier this way rather than just lacing into the next one as soon as finished the descent from the last.

My lower back is knackered. Yesterdays squats feel like I was doing good mornings. Maybe I'm bending over too much.

Saturday September 20th:

Deadlift
    60kg - 2 sets of 10 reps
    100kg - 2 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg - 2 sets of 8 reps
    10kg - 2 sets of 10 reps ... waiting for bench
    ---
    Bench Press
    30kg x10
    40kg x5
    72.5kg - 3 sets of 5 reps
    72.5kg - 2 sets of 3 reps
    72.5kg - 2 sets of 2 reps
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Calf Raises
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 20 reps
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    bodyweight x5 x3 x2 ... each set done straight after the others, as was playing one set of 10. Just stopped after 5 and 8 as grip was going due to sweat and had to grab properly again
    ---

No energy today. Bench attempt at 72.5kg 5x5 was a struggle. Eventually I did the 25 reps, but not as a 5x5.

First three sets were ok... barely. I had to split the last two sets into 4 sets. Probably my hardest bench session ever. Really had to push hard to get each rep up, sometimes for a few seconds the bar would stop and then I'd manage to push up slowly, slowly, slowly until racked.

I need to eat more the night before and on the morning of such a session.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm bending over too much.

Yeah, I didn't want to say but there's rumors circulating.:D

Advertisement