Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday March 9th:

Walk 5.6km ... slow & painful

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

So, last Thursday I had an operation on my right eye. This involved cutting the eye open slightly to move one of the 6 extra occular muscles into a different position.

The muscle which pulls the eye upwards was too strong and causing double vision when looking down at my laptop screen. This was very annoying as I spend all day working on a laptop or external monitor.

A practical example of my problem would as follows: imagine you are looking at the list of threads in a forum but cannot line up the name of the thread with the name of the person who last posted in it.

Anyway, it is now 5 days later and today is the first time I managed to leave the house unassisted. For the past few days I couldn't really look at anything except for my feet, as any upward pull on that newly positioned muscle was pretty sore.

I managed a couple of walks by hanging on to Green Athene :)

Stuff like deadlifting and squatting is out of the question for a few more days. I don't want to risk bursting my eye / stitches open any further by applying extreme pressure i.e. lifting heavy stuff.

Anyway, the rest of my body is enjoying a nice recovery period :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

BossArky wrote: »
    So, last Thursday I had an operation on my right eye. This involved cutting the eye open slightly to move one of the 6 extra occular muscles into a different position.

The muscle which pulls the eye upwards was too strong and causing double vision when looking down at my laptop screen. This was very annoying as I spend all day working on a laptop or external monitor.

A practical example of my problem would as follows: imagine you are looking at the list of threads in a forum but cannot line up the name of the thread with the name of the person who last posted in it.

Anyway, it is now 5 days later and today is the first time I managed to leave the house unassisted. For the past few days I couldn't really look at anything except for my feet, as any upward pull on that newly positioned muscle was pretty sore.

Stuff like deadlifting and squatting is out of the question for a few more days. I don't want to risk bursting my eye / stitches open any further by applying extreme pressure i.e. lifting heavy stuff.

Good to hear the op went well and you're on the mend chief. Keep well away from the gym til you are fully recovered :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Enjoy the week off man - hope you have a speedy recovery!

Thursday March 12th: 6:30am - 7:30am

---
    Warm Up (oly bar)
    20kg - 1x10 on each of the following:
    • Squat
    • Good Morning
    • Bent Over Row
    • Military Press
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 2x5
    115kg - 5x5 ... last 2 sets were hard and were really 4+1 and 5 singles

Shoulder Press (dumbbell, standing)
    14kg per arm - 7x5 ... light
    ---
    Face Pull
    10kg - 3x10
    ---

Back on the wagon this morning. Stopped with the creatine 2 weeks ago. Weight down to 76kg now, which is a 2 to 3kg water weight drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Just got around to reading this now. I'm glad to hear that the operation went well and it's good to see you're back lifting again! :)

celestial wrote: »
    Good to hear the op went well and you're on the mend chief. Keep well away from the gym til you are fully recovered :-)
    Enjoy the week off man - hope you have a speedy recovery!

Thanks. Eye didn't pop out of head this morning or feel under any pressure. Just a bit hard to focus at some extermeties of vision. Seems to be fixing itself nicely though so I'm happy.

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Just got around to reading this now. I'm glad to hear that the operation went well and it's good to see you're back lifting again! :)

Saturday March 14th:

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x10
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x1 ... slightly tweaked something in my lower left back with Thursdays deadlifts so I took it handy on the squats today
    60kg - 1x10

Military Press (oly bar)
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x3
    40kg - 1x3
    50kg - 1x3
    60kg - 1x0 ... strict form & fail. Got the bar up to about forehead height before it came down
    60kg - 1x1 ... pb - used a bit of a push from the knees. Still a pb :pac:
    60kg - 1x0 ... tried to push press it again. Fail
    ---
    Chin Ups (palm @45 deg angle towards face)
    BW - 1x10
    BW - 1x8
    BW - 1x4 ... was aiming for 6!

Tricep Extension (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 3x5
    ---
    Ab Pull Down
    31.25kg - 1x10
    41.25kg - 1x10
    ---
    Run 1km (5:04) ... slow @ 10-11 kmph for first 500m, faster up to 15kmph ish for last 500m
    ---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

nice work on the press!

• Advertisement

Thanks. One of my goals this year is to power clean & press 60kg. At least now I know the pressing part is manageable!

Saturday March 14th:

Walk 7km+ ... usual route & a detour into the bird sanctuary :pac:

Monday January 16th:

Bench Press (dumbbell)
    16kg per arm - 1x10
    32kg per arm - 3x5

One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    16kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Hammer Curl (across chest)
    8kg per arm - 1x10
    16kg per arm - 3x5
    ---
    Calf Raise (dumbbell)
    34kg per arm - 2x20 ... grip sore by the end of each set. Will do these more often
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise (feet to hands)
    2(or 3?) x8
    ---
    Run 1km (5:00 mins, 85 cals)
    ---

I shaved my head so you can imagine how hard I looked doing the hammer curls.

Good short easy session, with not much of a point. Will get back to routine from tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thanks. One of my goals this year is to power clean & press 60kg. At least now I know the pressing part is manageable!

Once you improve your clean technique I'm sure you'll be able for 60, imo you are strong enough already, its just a matter of doing it right. Oh and hammer curls ftw! :p

Wednesday March 18th:

Warm Up ... all with just 20kg oly bar
    Good Morning - 1x10
    Squat - 1x3 (!)
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 2x5
    100kg - 1x3 ... double overhand, easy
    110kg - 1x2 ... double overhand, easy
    120kg - 1x1 ... double overhand, easy
    130kg - 1x0 :mad: ... double overhand, didn't get off ground
    130kg - 1x0 :mad: :mad: ... mixed grip, still failed, got off ground though
    120kg - 3x2 ... supposed to be 5x5 but no way that was happening today
    100kg - 2x5 ... back to double overhand
    60kg - 1x20 ... abs on fire
    60kg - 1x12 ... was aiming for 20 again. Stopped as knackered
    ---
    Inverted Shrug
    2.5kg plate per arm - 2x20
    ---
    Bicep Curl (oly bar)
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x3
    20kg - 1x10
    ---
    Run 1km (5:21 mins, 85 cals) ... slow to start, up to 17kmph for the last 200m. This was hard after the deadlifting
    ---
    Thought I would have managed 130kg today to equal my previous long standing pb. I was then hoping to go on and try 135kg or 140kg.

My grip seems stronger though. 120kg double overhand was easy, so I'm not sure why 130kg mixed grip seemed hard. My previous double overhand max was 100kg.

Maybe I'm not putting 100% effort in as I'm slightly nervous when it gets heavy.

The problem is this. I want a double bodyweight deadlift. Right now I'm 76kg which means I'm aiming for get to 150kg deadlift and then loose a 1kg bodyweight to have the maths work out.

If I start another creatine cycle I''ll probably end up with a bodyweight of 78kg through increased water weight. Obviously this means I'll have to lift around 156kg for the double bodyweight deadlift.

Also, my 5x5 plan is out the window without creatine. Today should have been 120kg 5x5, but I know I wouldn't have managed it. Maybe I'll try to hit 130kg x1 before going back on it. That means I have another week of deadlifting without creatine, and can start a cycle again in April and continue at 120kg 5x5.

Wednesday March 18th:

Walk 5.6km

Thursday March 19th:

Bench Press (dumbbell)
    15kg - 1x10 ... flat
    34kg - 1x5, 2x4 ... flat, was aiming for 3x5
    24kg - 3x8 ... incline

Calf Raise
    BW - 3x20
    ---
    Face Pull
    20kg - 3x8

3x8
    ---

My back is absolutely fried from yesterday. Today was good and quick.

Thursday March 19th:

Walk 5.6km

Saturday March 21st:

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x4
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x2
    100kg - 1x1
    60kg - 1x10

Military Press
    20kg - 2x10
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x4
    50kg - 1x3
    60kg - 1x1 ... bit of a push press with knee & hip drive
    30kg - 1x17 ... wide grip, shaking in later reps. Was aiming for 20. Hard
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (pulley, kneeling)
    31.25kg - 1x10
    41.25kg - 1x10
    48.75kg - 1x10

2x8
    1x6 ... couldn't manage third set of 8. Abs on fire
    ---
    Run ~1km (5:00 mins, 48 cals??)
    ---

I started off with on the treadmill at my usual starting speed of 11.0. I thought it seemed a bit faster than normal and put it down to leg tiredness after squats. I realised after a minute that the read out was in miles per hour, not km, so I was actually going around 17kmph. Slowed down to recover, then gradually sped up until 0.650 miles... which is roughly 1km.

The calorie reader seems to be messed up too. This distance usually tells me I burn about 85 cals. Today was just 48.

Sunday March 22nd:

Walk 5.6 km ...with handy skipping rope and resistance band

Stop 1:
    • Skipping
    • Lateral Raise - 2x12
    • Bicep Curl - 2x12

Stop 2:
    • Skipping
    • Step Ups - 2x10

Stop 3:
    • Dips - 3x8
    • Inverted Row - 3x8

Stop 4:
    • Skipping

---
    It was a great day to be outdoors. I finally got around to shortening my skipping rope purchased last October. Took me a while to get used to it, but by the time I got to stop 4 I was up to 3 sets of 35-40 reps without tying myself in knots.

Going to include more skipping going forwards for the sake of cardio. This will probably in the mornings before work on non gym days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Whoa Boss that's great work with the military press! It's the one lift I'd be terrified to go for mega high reps on. Well done!

FunkZ wrote: »
    Whoa Boss that's great work with the military press! It's the one lift I'd be terrified to go for mega high reps on. Well done!

Thanks FunkZ. I was rushing after the heavy set so just kept going with the reps on the last one :pac:

Tuesday March 24th: 6:30am - 7:15am

Deadlift
    60kg - 1x8 ... double over
    100kg - 1x4 ... double over
    110kg - 1x2... double over
    120kg - 1x1 ... double over
    130kg - 1x0 ... mixed, right over
    130kg - 1x1 ... equals pb, mixed, left over
    132.5kg - 1x0 ... mixed?
    100kg - 2x5 ... double over
    60kg - 1x10 ... double over

Shoulder Press (dumbbell, standing)
    18kg per arm - 6x8
    ---

Forgot my chalk this morning. The deadlift worked out better than expected. This kind of ramping up on the deadlift is much more satisfying than the 5x5.

.... almost forgot, bodyweight 76.5kg this morning.

Ate next to nothing yesterday (porridge, can of tuna, can of sweetcorn, banana, 1/4 of a quiche, few slices of cheese) and managed to get only 4 hours sleep so couldn't make it to the gym for squatting as wrecked. Hope to make it tomorrow morning instead.

Bodyweight 75kg on the dot this morning.

Saturday March 28th:

Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x4
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 1x2
    100kg - 1x2
    110kg - 1x2 ... personal best
    115kg - 1x0 ... unracked and went down ok. Started up and ran up out of steam after a small upwards push. Clanked down on supports. Next time
    60kg - 3x8

Military Press
    20kg - 1x20 ... random warm up with first set of squat

Inverted Shrug
    2.5kg per arm - 4x20 ... mini plates
    ---
    Barbell Lunge (oly bar)
    40kg - 3x8 ... legs in bits after this on top of squats
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell)
    12.5kg per arm - 1x10
    32kg per arm - 3x5

One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    12.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Face Pulls
    21.25kg - 3x8

3x8
    ---

110kg x2 squat - chuffed :pac: About time! - think I first squat 105kg x1 last May. In the past 10 months I have definetly put on a lot of muscle on my lower body and increased my strength through lots of volume.... so was good to go for a max today and see what happened. Previous max was 105kg x5. Never squat anything successfully above 105kg until today.

The 115kg didn't feel too bad. Maybe it would have went up if I had not done two reps on 110kg. Very pleased with myself anyway! :D

Bodyweight around 76.5kg so I was pretty close to a 1.5 bodyweight squat today (114.75kg). Now 120kg x1 (my squat goal for the year) dosen't seem too far away.

Sunday March 29th:

Walk 5.6km

Serious leg DOMS from yesterday.

Tuesday March 31st:

Deadlift
    60kg - 2x8
    100kg - 1x4
    110kg - 1x1
    120kg - 1x1
    130kg - 1x1 ...equals pb, all sets today except this one were double overhand
    120kg - 1x1
    110kg - 1x1
    100kg - 1x4
    60kg - 2x8

Military Press (oly bar)
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x7 ... failed half way through 8th rep
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    20kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x8
    70kg - 1x1
    80kg - 1x0 ... fail, tired from military press
    ---
    1x10
    ---

First time bench pressing with the oly bar in over 3 months. I'm confident I will get to 90kg on the flat for a pb in the coming weeks.

Thursday April 2nd:

Squat
    20kg - 2x8 ... warm up

Military Press
    20kg - 2x8 ... warm up

Skipping
    A few sets ... for me a set is anything over 20 reps
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    BW - 1x14 ... equals pb, video to follow once I manage to shrink it from 150mb to fit under youtube 100mb video filter
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x4
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 1x0 ... fail, got half way up before needing spotter help to avoid squashyness
    70kg - 2x5
    60kg - 1x5
    ---
    Skipping
    A few sets ... got 111 reps on one set which I was pleased with! Another one I managed to keep in time with the trashy studio music which was pretty high tempo. Skipping rocks
    ---

This morning was great. A good max set of pull ups to equal pb. First time flat benching since December... and skipping :pac:

• Advertisement

Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    BW - 1x14 ... equals pb, video to follow ....

Bodyweight 77kg this morning

Advertisement