Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday July 20th:

Walk 5.6km

Bad chest pain all day. Shortness of breath walking as couldn't inhale fully.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tuesday July 22nd:

Walk 5.6km

Went to Physio on Tuesday evening. She reckons I had a pulled muscle somewhere in my chest, and some tightness in my right rhomboid. She did some accupunture on my back rightside, cracked my back accidently(apparently upper back is tight) told me to stretch more and sent me on my merry way.

Pain not as bad now. I was expecting to have a fractured sternum or stress fracture in a rib or something cos the pain over the weekend was brutal. I could barely move. Will take it easier over the coming days and see how I feel.

Saturday July 26th:

Row
    5mins (1200m, 75 cals)
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x10
    50kg x10
    50kg x10

Bradford Press (oly bar)
    20kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bench Press (flat)
    60kg - 2 sets of 5 reps ... so weak

Bench Press (incline)
    60kg x4.5 x4 ...failed on 5th of 1st set, weak weak weak
    20kg x20
    ---
    Fly (slight incline, dumbbell)
    7kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Pull Ups & Hanging Leg Raise combo
    x5
    ---

Today was my first time in the gym for a week due to picking up that slight injury last Saturday. I took things easy enough and came through fine. No pain, however I did feel really weak as I have spent the last week commuting for 4 hours each day - all sitting on tubes, trains and buses with no time to work out and dodgy food.

It was also my first time benching for about 3 or 4 weeks. You may remember that I said I wasn't going to bench again until after the London tri in 2 weeks. Well, this was due to my thinking that the benching was messing up my shoulders. Apparently not. The physio on Tuesday told me that my posture was fine. This contradicts what the doctor told me in a health assessment back in January.

This means that either the doc or the physio are talking sh!te, or else I managed to sort out my upper back and shoulders by more deadlifts, rows, pull ups, face pulls, external rotations, etc, in the past 6 months. I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and assume that my last 6 months in the gym helped sort the muscle imbalances out.

Not sure if I will do any cardio ahead of the London tri in 2 weeks. Don't actually see there being time available in my current schedule and even if there was 2 weeks won't make much difference.

Sunday July 27th:

Deadlift
    25kg x5 ... warm up
    60kg - 5 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    50kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    External Rotation (pulley)
    5kg - 3 sets of 5 reps

Pull Ups
    3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Tricep Pushdown (pulley)
    15kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    17.5kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    20g - 3 sets of 10 reps

Bicep Curl (pulley)
    15kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    17.5kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    20g - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Ab Machine
    7.5kg at head - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---

Good little session.

Sunday July 27th (session 2):

Walk ~3km

• Advertisement

Tuesday July 29th:

Row 5mins (1240m, ~80cals) ... warm up
    ---
    Squat
    40kg x10
    50kg x10
    60kg x10
    70kg x10

Pull Ups (to oly bar)
    4 sets of 5 reps ... supersetted with squats. Raised the oly bar a notch and did the pull ups to this, whilst holding legs up to avoid hitting ground
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    50kg - 3 sets of 10 reps

Lateral Raise (dumbbell)
    5kg - 3 sets of 10 reps ... pretty light. Just something to do in between sets of deadlifts above
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell)
    24kg per arm - 2 sets of 8 reps

One Arm Row
    24kg per arm - 2 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    6kg - 2 sets of 8 reps

Reverse Fly (dumbbell)
    6kg - 2 sets of 8 reps
    ---

Squats were easy enough. By the last set of 70kg x10 I was rather sweaty and hoping the bar wasn't going to slither off my shoulders, down my back, and smash into bits on the rack.

Enjoying doing slightly lighter weights at higher reps for a change. 10 reps in a set is a nice number. No wonder the world is predominantly decimal.

Hope to increase the squat weight on the sets of 10. 100kg x10 would rock. It seems like eons ago since I did that 100kg squat. I'm kinda concentrating on form and trying not to bash my body up too much right now.

Waffle over.

Friday August 1st:

Deadlift
    40kg x10
    50kg x10
    60kg x10
    70kg x10
    80kg x10
    ---
    Bench Press
    60kg - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Shrugs
    20kg plate per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps ... holding each rep at the top for 2 seconds
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    10kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps

Lateral Raise
    10kg per arm - 2 sets of 8 reps
    ---

Got a bit of a cold, possibly from spending 3 to 4 hours a day mixing with the public on tube/train/bus for the past two weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Looks like training's been going really well recently!

A bit haphazard for the past few weeks really! Too much time being spent on real life stuff such as work and commuting.

Sunday August 3rd:

Pitch & Putt - belted a few balls around on the driving range and whilst walking home across a few mega sized football fields.

Was hoping to make it to the gym tonight but still not 100% over the cold so will give it a miss.

• Advertisement

Monday August 4th:

Run 3km (16:14 mins, ~256 cals)
    ---
    Lateral Raises

Squat
    65kg - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    45kg - 3 sets of 10 reps

Bent Over Row (mini barbell, palms up)
    45kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Shoulder Press (seated)
    16kg per arm x10 x10 x5
    ---
    Reverse Fly
    7kg per arm 8

Calf Raise
    7kg per arm x10

Bicep Curl
    7kg per arm x10
    ---

Wrecked at the end. Lots of sweat. Still not 100%.

London triathlon tomorrow. Probably my last one. Looking forward to the event itself as it is always a bit of a laugh. Feeling stiff from the past 3 weeks of little activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Enjoy and best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

good luck tommorrow bossarky , i was going to say you show great "dedication" but i thought i would sound like roy castle ( that reference is probably lost on anyone under 35).
    anyway you know what i mean good training makes for good races good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Best of luck in the London Tri tomorrow BossArky!

Sunday August 10th:

London Triathlon (Olympic Distance)

Sunday August 10th:
    • Swim 1.5km (0:46:11)
    • Transition 1 (0:04:34)
    • Bike 40km (1:23:12)
    • Run 10km (0:57:54)
    • Transition 2 (0:01:25)
    • Total (3:13:14)

On Saturday evening (Triathlon eve) I checked my pre-race booklet to see exactly what time my race was scheduled to start at on Sunday. Much to my surprise I discovered my batch of racers were supposed to have racked our bikes on Saturday afternoon (i.e. about 6 hours ago), ahead of a 2:10pm start the next day. I wasn’t sure if this meant I would be prohibited from entering the transition area to rack my bike ahead of the race – maybe I was kind of hoping this would be a nice excuse to pull out of the event. The tri itself actually takes place over two days. Most of the sprint (i.e. half distance) races take place on the Saturday, whilst the Olympic is on Sunday.

As Sunday morning as the significance of the day dawned on me - Oh oh! I contemplated rolling over, staying in bed and ending my career as a triathlete … by well, not trying. It was cold, windy and a bit of rain fell making the prospect of approx 3 hours outdoors exertion seem at lot less appealing that last years’ tri in the sun.

I cycled the 7 km-ish from home to the venue (docklands Excel centre)and was slightly early, arriving at 1pm when my own heat was scheduled for 2:10pm. I decided to take a look at earlier heats as they progressed through the water. There was one poor guy totally lost miles behind everyone else, looking exhausted as he battled against the wind and swell which seemed to be moving him backwards faster than he could propel himself forwards.

Swim - At swim assembly I picked up my timing chip and listened apprehensively as the marshal stated “the swim gets easier” at the end of his safety briefing. I guessed he meant that the wind had changed direction. Earlier the wind was against the inward swimmers whom I had watched. According to this marshal we would be swimming the first 750m out against the wind and swell, whilst the second 750m in would be easier as the wind and swell would push us along. He was badly informed.

The memories of the guy that I watched earlier in the water were still in my head for the final few minutes as I bobbed around in the water waiting for the starter horn which would signal the start of my heat. It was way too windy and the swell was bashing us around in the water. I was out of my depth in more ways that one. All I could think was “WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE!?” I wasn’t exactly triathlon fit. Sure I’d spent ages in the gym for the past months, but there was a strong probability that I would end us as fish fodder in these conditions in the water.

The horn blows, a few kicks are exchanged with fellow competitors, some water leaks down the back of my neck and we’re off!

The first outward 750m was fine as – being pushed along nicely, however the second 750m was like being in the middle of the Atlantic swimming into the gale and getting bashed in the head with waves. I flipped between front crawl and breast stroke towards the end of the field and concentrated on moving along. The standard in these Olympic distance triathlons is way higher than the Sprint (i.e half) distance. This means that most people seem to be great swimmers and leave people like myself miles behind as we take double the time.

There were a few other swimmers around, but none too close by. This changed as soon as we rounded the half way mark and aimed for home. The wind and waves forced us all together like a herd(?), flock (??) … ok, ok… a general community of warm water Caribbean turtles lost at the north pole. This group (approx 6 of us) battled it out in what turned into a nice little mini race for the slow swimmers within the triathlon itself.

It was funny – one person within our group would go for glory (an all out front crawl sprint for 10 seconds trying to push their way to the head of the group) before succumbing to a wave in the head and going under for a few seconds. They would then fall back gasping for breath for a few minutes whilst someone else took over. Haha, I remember one guy who went off on like a motorboat. The only problem was he kept turning slightly further left with each stroke. He ended up swimming away from us at right angle. Hilarious! I watched him out of the corner of my eye as much as I could. After about 20 seconds he stopped, looked around smugly believing he was ahead of the rest…… and then realised he was going in totally the wrong direction. 1 down.

We continued like this the rest of the swim, each trying to outdo the other - constantly kicking/elbowing/biting each others toes/ankles/fingers. What initially terrified me turned into possibly the most enjoyable swim I’ve ever had! The bit of competition proved a pleasant distraction from what is usually a tough, lonesome swim. As I reached the swim exit the marshals pulled me out of the water as 2nd out of 6th in that little group. I was happy enough with that imaginary podium position.

Triathlon should really be upgraded from Tri to Pent as the there are two other tough parts to this event –-> getting in and out of the wetsuit. Before the race I had covered myself with baby oil and still wasted a heap of energy huffing and puffing my way into it. The same thing afterwards – I must have spent 30 seconds struggling to get my arms and legs free. A helpful marshal was on hand to free me from my nemesis before I fell over with exhaustion. Legs were like jelly and head spinning as I ran up the steps into transition.

The run from the water up to the transition area was fine – I could easily spot my bike as it was looking pretty isolated in the bike rack as everyone else had more or less departed and was already out on the road. I got ready: helmet on, cycling top on, gels in back pockets, runners on … then headed out on the bike.

Bike – Agh, relief. The bike leg of my triathlons is usually like collapsing onto the couch after a hard day. I usually target an average speed of 30kmph which should bring me around the 40km in 1hr 20 mins. This time I couldn’t decide which gear to stay in. This was probably due to lack of recent saddle time. Each lap took me from the docklands Excel centre, down towards the turn at Tower Bridge, then back up across the water from City airport, then back to the excel centre again. The 40km was 2 laps of 20km each (obviously).

The trip out towards Tower Bridge was into a strong wind which slowed things down. The trip back up towards the Excel Centre was wind assisted, but not enough to make up for time and energy lost in the opposite direction. I averaged 27.5kmph over the 40km which is below target.

At one stage some fellow went by me on a racer. I decided to try and stick with him and got up to 45kmph until I ran out of gearing and even with the assistance of a nice downhill stretch into the Blackhall tunnel I couldn’t keep up. It is times like this when I think I need to upgrade from a mountain bike to a racer. I guess I just I prefer the mountain bike for casual cycling. You cannot cycle a racer across a muddy football field in the winter!

At the end of the bike leg I hopped off and felt my right toes cramp up as I began to run back in through transition to rack the bike. After a few seconds they recovered and I was on my way to my spot where I re-racked the bike, dumped the helmet and headed off on the run.

Run – This was fine. The weather had turned slightly colder which was good. Droplets of rain every now and again helped cool me down and I suppose it was ideal conditions (temperature-wise) for the 10km (apart from the wind). On my first lap, when descending the ramp out of the excel centre, there was a medical crew around some guy who seems to have collapased. 25 to 30 mins later, when I was starting the second 5km lap the guy was still there with the ambulance crew around him asking stuff such as “what is your race number?” They seemed pretty concerned judging from the conversations going on amongst the medics… however the delay getting him off the course hopefully means it wasn’t anything too serious.

On each run lap I got a gel/power bar from a marshal handing them out at a promotional stall. Like He-Man, I too had the power (having had a banana 45 minutes before the race, a gel, plus a few gels during the bike leg which conveniently fitted into the snug pockets of my new cycling top).The second time around I shouted to the marshal guy that I wanted water not gel. He made a mess of finding a bottle, and by the time he had it I was past him. We both did a little shuffle and failed to connect – I somehow managed to give myself a mild quad strain with the quick stop and start change of direction, which was mildly sore for the last 5km. Anyway, this fellow sprinted after me and put both a gel and water into my hands. Fair play to him.

The last km was a struggle. I remember passing a sign which marked 4km/9km of the run as complete (depending on your lap). So, here I was 50.5 km through the 51.5 km in total. I slowed down to a stagger and thought about how close the end was. Up the last hill, round the corner into transition and time for the one final exertion over the last 100 metres.

Overall, it was a good experience but I could definitely do better by 30 mins or so. I’m now going to put my triathlon attempts on hold for the foreseeable future. Maybe one day when I have more time and live somewhere more conductive to tri training I’ll take it up again and break the 3hr barrier, before aiming for 2hr 30. My time this year was rather slow, however I enjoyed it and there is a nice feeling of satisfaction from getting through it without doing much prework.

This report has been a bit rushed as I haven’t had time to write it properly but I’d better post it now whilst it is still fresh in my brain.

Tuesday August 12th:

Bench Press
    60kg x8
    65kg x8
    70kg x7
    65kg x6
    60kg x5 ... I was aiming for 8 reps on all of the first 5 sets. Bit of work to be done here to get some strength back
    20kg x30 (or 40?)
    ---
    One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    18kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    10kg - 3 sets of 10 reps ... first set with slight incline, the next two sets were flat
    ---
    Bicep Curl (dumbbell)

Shrugs
    25kg plate per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps

Calf Raise
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 20 reps ... from flat
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise
    x8
    ---
    Tonight was a short enough, predominantly upper body, session to ease back into things after the triathlon.

I was 74kg on Sunday morning.

BossArky wrote: »
    Sunday August 10th:

<Place holder ... almost finished the race summary ... should have it here in a day or two>

Congrats, I'll look forwad to reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

BossArky wrote: »
    Sunday August 10th:

<Place holder ... almost finished the race summary ... should have it here in a day or two>

Well done man, looking forward to reading about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

FunkZ wrote: »
    Well done man, looking forward to reading about it!

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭The_boat

Well done on all the work, I'm just starting a fitness blog (journey to my old self) and i'm impressed by yours. While my goal isn't a triatalon i might incorporate one if i feel up for it. If you've any good links or ebooks you could pass on they would be much appreciated. the web is too full of commercial advertisers that its hard to find the good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭rottweiler

well done on the tri.

Thanks for the comments all. Report is now updated up there ^^.

The_boat wrote: »
    Well done on all the work, I'm just starting a fitness blog (journey to my old self) and i'm impressed by yours. While my goal isn't a triatalon i might incorporate one if i feel up for it. If you've any good links or ebooks you could pass on they would be much appreciated. the web is too full of commercial advertisers that its hard to find the good stuff.

I'd suggest hanging around reading the fitness forum plus the mara/tri one for 3 to 6 months. Ask questions as there are lots of knowledgeable people there. You'll pick up a good bit of info in a short time, plus it is cheaper than buying magazines :)

Monday August 18th:

Pull Ups (wide-ish, parallel)
    x8
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell)
    60lbs per arm - 2 sets of 8 reps
    55lbs per arm - 2 sets of 6 reps

One Arm Row
    60lbs per arm - 2 sets of 8 reps
    55lbs per arm - 2 sets of 6 reps
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    20lbs per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps

Lunges
    20lbs per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Reverse Fly
    15lbs per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps

Split Squat
    x8
    ---
    Military Press (dumbbell)
    30lbs - 3 sets of 5 reps

Curl (dumbbell)
    30lbs - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Face Pulls
    8kg (weird this one is not lbs) - 3 sets of 8 reps

Tricep Pull Down
    8kg (again weird this one is not lbs) - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Run 800m in 5mins ... just a cool down jog really
    ---

Currently in Chicago after a weekend of beer and high fives in New York. Tough life but someone's gotta live it :pac:

Most of the guys I was hanging out with there were runners who got Uni scholarships back in the day on the strength of their running. Makes me wonder if I should just run to have more in common with them! At 29 one still does a sub 18 minute 5km which is something I'd love to one day do... but it's not too likely. Maybe 20mins if I trained properly for a year or two :confused:

Hoping to (& need to) sort out my training plans going forwards mid of next week / beginning of Sept. I'm perhaps going to drop a cupla kg to get from 74kg to 72. I've been a bit lax lately.

Tuesday August 26th:

Shoulder Dislocates
    7kg studio bar - 2 sets of 8 reps ... warm up

Press Ups
    2 sets of 12 reps ... warm up

External Rotation
    5kg per arm - 2 sets of 10 reps ... warm up
    ---
    Pull Ups
    x8
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell)
    32kg per arm x4 x2 x2 ... probably a pb just lifting those dumbbells

Deadlift
    80kg - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    9kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps

Face Pulls
    7.5kg - 2 sets of 8 reps ... forgot 3rd set
    ---
    Split Squat
    3 sets of 10 reps

Lateral Raise
    9kg per arm - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---

Well, I'm not dead ...just been taking a break.

Tonight saw the resurrection of my fitness regime. The past 3 months have seen my training going all over the place for various reasons. Now I'm back on track.

Feeling kinda dizzy right now after tonight's session. I'm aiming to get up and be in the gym at 6:30am at least two mornings a week from now on as I cannot make it in the evenings as often as before.

All I can say is your return is welcome:) Welcome back mate.

I see what you did there ;)

Thursday August 28th (micro session 1):

Bicep Curls
    8kg per arm x10

Tricep Extension
    6kg per arm x10
    ---
    At home this morning.

Thursday August 28th (session 2):

Squat
    20kg x10
    40kg x10
    60kg x10
    70kg x6
    60kg x10
    40kg x10
    20kg x10
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    50kg - 3 sets of 8 reps

Bent Over Row (palms up)
    50kg - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Bench Press
    60kg - 3 sets of 8 reps

Fly (dumbbell)
    12kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---

At lunchtime today I tried out the Virgin Active gym next to work (free first day trial). I’m finding it hard to get to my normal gym due to early mornings / late finishes so thought this one near work would be an option. No way at £15 a session!

• Advertisement

Saturday August 30th:

Deadlift
    50kg x10
    70kg x10
    90kg x10
    100kg x5

Shoulder Press (standing, dumbbells)
    14kg per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    60kg x8 x8 x7 x5 x5
    ---
    Bent Over Row (palms down)
    30kg x10 ... waiting for the squat rack
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x8
    60kg x8
    60kg x8
    70kg x5
    80kg x5
    ---
    Face Pulls
    11.25kg - 3 stes of 8 reps
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise (feet to hands)
    3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Ab Ball Rotation
    5 sets of 20 reps
    ---
    High Row (machine)
    30kg x20
    ---

Good session. I out trained a hangover which was suprising. Got all the big compound exercises in there at reasonable enough weight.

During my deadlifts, folling the 90kg set, some guy advised me to put the weight down gently with a controlled motion as opposed to clanking it down. I thanked him for advice however I'm more concerned with the upwards phase than the downwards bit at higher % of my max.

I also witnessed the worst squatting ever. Two guys - the blind leading the blind. One fellow was holding the others elbows while he squatted. They started off with just the bar, doing a few sets, then jumped to 70kg. I know everyone has to learn but it was really really bad. If I had my camera I would have made a sly video. Maybe I would have tried to help out if it hadn't been so busy.

Advertisement